Coca-Cola from Heber J Grant

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Jason
Master of Puppets

Re: Coca-Cola from Heber J Grant

Post by Jason »

I don't think anyone is judging another, but when an ordained prophet of the lord stands up in general conference and advises us to do something, I would hope we would have the nature to follow, however minute that may be.
I would hope that the mere suggestion that something is bad for us would cause us to change and embrace the light!

We are the only ones holding ourselves back!

bobhenstra
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by bobhenstra »

When I told a past bishop that I had a years supply of diet coke, he ask me "do you know what blackmail is?" I was taken aback, what? I muttered. He explains, when the rest of the ward finds out you've a years supply of coke, what do you suppose will happen? Then he adds, "now, if your willing to share with me,--- no one else will find out-----

I told him to get his own, my years supply was protected by a big gun! actually I have 366 cans, I found it pretty difficult to store .24219878th of a can---but I thunk on it---

Bob

ithink
captain of 1,000

Post by ithink »

bobhenstra wrote:When I told a past bishop that I had a years supply of diet coke, he ask me "do you know what blackmail is?" I was taken aback, what? I muttered. He explains, when the rest of the ward finds out you've a years supply of coke, what do you suppose will happen? Then he adds, "now, if your willing to share with me,--- no one else will find out-----

I told him to get his own, my years supply was protected by a big gun! actually I have 366 cans, I found it pretty difficult to store .24219878th of a can---but I thunk on it---

Bob
Whatever, I guess you will need something to practice shooting at when it all goes down. Bob, when Christ comes again, do you plan on sharing a coke with him?

Jan333
Hi, I'm new.

Post by Jan333 »

Don't know how true it is, but I heard Coke also has fluoride in it which contributes to fluoride overload from water we drink, toothpaste, dental treatments, plus canned foods prepared with tap water. In some people fluoride causes hypothyroid with a host of symptoms, including fatigue, weight gain, depression, blood sugar problems,etc. Fluoride is a poison, an industrial waste. Add negative effects of aspartame or high fructose corn syrup, caffeine, carbonation effects, phosphoric acid ( hard water film remover) you get a pretty potent number of reasons why not to consume Coke. There are worse things you can do, but why pollute your already stressed self with an unnecessary stressor like Coke? Some one out there is getting rich off of your insistence on choosing to drink Coke. Just a few thoughts...

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

Jan333 wrote:Don't know how true it is, but I heard Coke also has fluoride in it which contributes to fluoride overload from water we drink, toothpaste, dental treatments, plus canned foods prepared with tap water. In some people fluoride causes hypothyroid with a host of symptoms, including fatigue, weight gain, depression, blood sugar problems,etc. Fluoride is a poison, an industrial waste. Add negative effects of aspartame or high fructose corn syrup, caffeine, carbonation effects, phosphoric acid ( hard water film remover) you get a pretty potent number of reasons why not to consume Coke. There are worse things you can do, but why pollute your already stressed self with an unnecessary stressor like Coke? Some one out there is getting rich off of your insistence on choosing to drink Coke. Just a few thoughts...
Coke is bad, that's why I drink Pepsi :wink:

ChelC
The Law

Post by ChelC »

Jan333 wrote:Don't know how true it is, but I heard Coke also has fluoride in it which contributes to fluoride overload from water we drink, toothpaste, dental treatments, plus canned foods prepared with tap water. In some people fluoride causes hypothyroid with a host of symptoms, including fatigue, weight gain, depression, blood sugar problems,etc. Fluoride is a poison, an industrial waste. Add negative effects of aspartame or high fructose corn syrup, caffeine, carbonation effects, phosphoric acid ( hard water film remover) you get a pretty potent number of reasons why not to consume Coke. There are worse things you can do, but why pollute your already stressed self with an unnecessary stressor like Coke? Some one out there is getting rich off of your insistence on choosing to drink Coke. Just a few thoughts...
It's funny you should mention the thyroid thing. Sixgunsue has been giving me some similar info about that. I've got about 15 pounds to drop and despite lots of exercise and slowly dropping my calorie intake down, I couldn't get it off - even when I went down to 1000 calories a day. So about six weeks ago I dumped my Dr. Pepper habit, and since getting rid of the caffeine I am finally dropping weight. I've wondered if I would see more results by losing the fluoride - so that's next on my agenda.

kgrigio
captain of 100

Post by kgrigio »

Caffeine promote water retention. I have gone off caffeinated beverages for months at a time before and have lost weight without really changing my eating habits. I am trying to get motivated again to get back on the bandwagon of not drinking any carbonated beverages, but I travel so much with work, including a lot of long drives, that sipping on a cola helps me stay awake.

One other thought on any carbonated beverage. One reason the fast food chains, and most restaurants for that matter, push these types of drinks is that carbonation expands the stomach so you feel like you can eat more. Yet another reason to steer clear. If only they didn't taste so darn good!

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

Nearly everything has fluoride in it. 70% of the municipal water in the US has fluoride added to it. Not just any fluoride but specifically Fluorosilicic Acid which is a carcinogenic industrial waste byproduct from the fertilizer industry out of Florida. Google it!

Why? I can give you $10 billion reasons....actually more because they would have to pay to dispose of it properly as toxic waste....

Every food processing plant in the US uses municipal water....so at least 70% of the processed food products on the market are going to have high levels of fluoride. You can rest at ease though as that's only one of a myriad of poisons - aspartame, Sucralose, Splenda, mercury, hydrogenated oils, sodium nitrite (used in every meat product - why the daily consumption of processed meats has now been clinically shown to produce a 6,700% increase in the risk of pancreatic cancer!), and we aren't even talking about personal care products which have no regulation and introduce solvents, carcinogens, and heavy metals via skin contact. Think that is exaggerating - explain how a nicotine patch works...

And we haven't even touched on the prescription drug industry with toxic painkiller drugs like COX-2 inhibitors or toxic anti-cholesterol drugs like statin drugs, or poisoning our cardiovascular systems with beta-blockers and other drugs, and the fact that all of them poison our livers.

The best part - we gladly pay money for it! Big money! For self inflicted slow painful suicides!

more here...
http://www.ldsfreedomforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7689

You want a guaranteed high paying job for life - get work in the medical industry!

On the flip side....if you want a life in the shadows with constant persecution....try stopping it!

bobhenstra
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by bobhenstra »

I think Asks; "Bob, when Christ comes again, do you plan on sharing a coke with him?"

I'm absolutely positive-- it'll all be gone by then-----------

Bob

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

bobhenstra wrote:I think Asks; "Bob, when Christ comes again, do you plan on sharing a coke with him?"

Bob
Thanks for the laugh!

AussieOi
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by AussieOi »

the word of wisdom is a blessing in my life

3 or so versus of what to avoid

7+ verses of healthy living ideals

in 20 years never has the sunday school lesson on it spent less than 40 minutes on the not, and more than 5 minutes on the throw in at the end, what to

Mahonri
Master
Location: Where you want to be when crap hits the fan, but I'm not telling.

Post by Mahonri »

AussieOi wrote:the word of wisdom is a blessing in my life

3 or so versus of what to avoid

7+ verses of healthy living ideals

in 20 years never has the sunday school lesson on it spent less than 40 minutes on the not, and more than 5 minutes on the throw in at the end, what to

Your sunday school lesson actually teaches doctrine? Ours is a history lesson. Heaven forbid we actually learn about the doctrine that lead the Pioneers sacrificed life and limb for.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

Isn't the discussion of whether or not coca cola is okay to drink more about judging others? The church leaders have made their position clear: they don't recommend it, but don't prohibit it. Everyone agrees; it's not a health food. So the question is: Will you personally drink it or abstain from drinking it? The right answer to that question will vary from person to person. We only need to worry about our own answer to that question.

Jan333
Hi, I'm new.

Post by Jan333 »

for stopping fluoride, please see

http://www.fluoridealert.org/

about the FLUORIDE ACTION NETWORK

Jan333
Hi, I'm new.

Post by Jan333 »

There is a bill presently going through the federal legislature that will give more power to the FDA by way of its vague wording that might affect all our food supplies and our right to store food

search by way of your browser:

2009 HR2749 Food Safety Enhancement Act

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

Harold B. Lee was emphatic that only one person can speak for the Church:

All over the Church you're being asked this: "What does the Church think about this or that?" Have you ever heard anybody ask that question? "What does the Church think about the civil rights legislation?" "What do they think about the war?" "What do they think about drinking Coca-Cola or Sanka coffee?" Did you ever hear that? "What do they think about the Democratic Party or ticket or the Republican ticket?" Did you ever hear that? "How should we vote in this forthcoming election?" Now, with most all of those questions, if you answer them, you're going to be in trouble. Most all of them. Now, it's the smart man that will say, "There's only one man in this church that speaks for the Church, and I'm not that one man."

I think nothing could get you into deep waterquicker than to answer people on these things, when they say, "What does the Church think?" and you want to be smart, so you try to answer what the Church's policy is. Well, you're not the one to make the policies for the Church. You just remember what the Apostle Paul wrote to the Corinthians. He said, "For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified" (1 Corinthians 2:2). Well now, as teachers of our youth, you're not supposed to know anything except Jesus Christ and Him crucified. On that subject you're expected to be an expert. You're expected to know your subject. You're expected to have a testimony. And in that you'll have great strength. If the President of the Church has not declared the position of the Church, then you shouldn't go shopping for the answer. (Harold B. Lee, Teachings of Harold B. Lee (Salt Lake City, Utah: Bookcraft, 1996}, 445. ISBN 1570082340. GospeLink)

This was recently reiterated by the First Presidency (who now approves all statements published on the Church's official website):

Not every statement made by a Church leader, past or present, necessarily constitutes doctrine. A single statement made by a single leader on a single occasion often represents a personal, though well-considered, opinion, but is not meant to be officially binding for the whole Church. With divine inspiration, the First Presidency...and the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles...counsel together to establish doctrine that is consistently proclaimed in official Church publications. This doctrine resides in the four “standard works” of scripture (the Holy Bible, the Book of Mormon, the Doctrine and Covenants and the Pearl of Great Price), official declarations and proclamations, and the Articles of Faith. Isolated statements are often taken out of context, leaving their original meaning distorted.
—LDS Newsroom, "Approaching Mormon Doctrine," lds.org (4 May 2007) off-site]

(For further discussion of this principle see: FAIR wiki article: Official Church doctrine and statements by Church leaders.)
http://en.fairmormon.org/Was_Jesus_Chri ... :_The_Seer

ithink
captain of 1,000

Post by ithink »

bobhenstra wrote:I think Asks; "Bob, when Christ comes again, do you plan on sharing a coke with him?"

Bob
Gone!? From shooting, or drinking? :lol:

Mahonri
Master
Location: Where you want to be when crap hits the fan, but I'm not telling.

Post by Mahonri »

Jason wrote:

All over the Church you're being asked this: "What does the Church think about this or that?" Have you ever heard anybody ask that question? "What does the Church think about the civil rights legislation?" "What do they think about the war?" "What do they think about drinking Coca-Cola or Sanka coffee?" Did you ever hear that? "What do they think about the Democratic Party or ticket or the Republican ticket?" Did you ever hear that? "How should we vote in this forthcoming election?" Now, with most all of those questions, if you answer them, you're going to be in trouble. Most all of them. Now, it's the smart man that will say, "There's only one man in this church that speaks for the Church, and I'm not that one man."

I think nothing could get you into deep waterquicker than to answer people on these things, when they say, "What does the Church think?" and you want to be smart, so you try to answer what the Church's policy is. Well, you're not the one to make the policies for the Church. You just remember what the Apostle Paul wrote to the Corinthians. He said, "For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified" (1 Corinthians 2:2). Well now, as teachers of our youth, you're not supposed to know anything except Jesus Christ and Him crucified. On that subject you're expected to be an expert. You're expected to know your subject. You're expected to have a testimony. And in that you'll have great strength. If the President of the Church has not declared the position of the Church, then you shouldn't go shopping for the answer. (Harold B. Lee, Teachings of Harold B. Lee (Salt Lake City, Utah: Bookcraft, 1996}, 445. ISBN 1570082340. GospeLink)

This was recently reiterated by the First Presidency (who now approves all statements published on the Church's official website):

Not every statement made by a Church leader, past or present, necessarily constitutes doctrine. A single statement made by a single leader on a single occasion often represents a personal, though well-considered, opinion, but is not meant to be officially binding for the whole Church. With divine inspiration, the First Presidency...and the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles...counsel together to establish doctrine that is consistently proclaimed in official Church publications. This doctrine resides in the four “standard works” of scripture (the Holy Bible, the Book of Mormon, the Doctrine and Covenants and the Pearl of Great Price), official declarations and proclamations, and the Articles of Faith. Isolated statements are often taken out of context, leaving their original meaning distorted.

(For further discussion of this principle see: FAIR wiki article: Official Church doctrine and statements by Church leaders.)
I find it interesting that they say certain things said by the Brethren are not binding upon the members. I tend to agree, unless it fits D&C 107 criteria. But at the same time, if it is true, it should not matter if it was said by a GA acting outside the perimeters. Doesn't it go back to not being commanded in all things? If it is true, and we do nothing about it, aren't we going to be held accountable? I don't think the Lord is going to really except, "It wasn't in the scriptures not to smoke crack" as a good enough reason not to act.

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

Mahonri wrote:
Jason wrote:

I find it interesting that they say certain things said by the Brethren are not binding upon the members. I tend to agree, unless it fits D&C 107 criteria. But at the same time, if it is true, it should not matter if it was said by a GA acting outside the perimeters. Doesn't it go back to not being commanded in all things? If it is true, and we do nothing about it, aren't we going to be held accountable? I don't think the Lord is going to really except, "It wasn't in the scriptures not to smoke crack" as a good enough reason not to act.
I tend to believe its all a personal matter between oneself and the Lord. Then let the cards shake out where they will. Obviously if I find myself at odds with the Lord's anointed...then I better be fasting and praying to the extent of my abilities. But at the end of the day, I will be the one who accounts for my actions....and if I've done my best to build the relationship with all that entails...it shouldn't be an issue. I am the constraint in the relationship.

Rockhound7
captain of 50

Post by Rockhound7 »

Section 89 is written very plainly, very easy to understand, It's a word of wisdom, not a commandment! "all things in moderation"! It's not a sin to be unwise, wisdom will come sooner or later.

armedtotheteeth
captain of 100

Post by armedtotheteeth »

Jan,
Where can I get fluoride free water?

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

armedtotheteeth wrote:

Jan,
Where can I get fluoride free water?
5 stage reverse osmosis filter system

Multi-Pure’s MP750 is one of the best.
Last edited by Anonymous on July 30th, 2009, 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

armedtotheteeth
captain of 100

Post by armedtotheteeth »

Ouch! PriceY!!! is there any bottled H2O?

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

armedtotheteeth wrote:Ouch! PriceY!!! is there any bottled H2O?
That would be a negative ghost rider! At least to my knowledge...

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

armedtotheteeth wrote:Ouch! PriceY!!! is there any bottled H2O?
I'm not sure where you live, but I posted earlier that most if not all cities in cache valley (God's country :wink: ) avoid adding fluoride. Just find a city in your area that doesn't add fluoride, then bottle it. I understand Aqua Vista doesn't add chemicals to their spring water. Check them out.