Abraham Gileadi canceled by Deseret Book

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
jonubg
captain of 50

Abraham Gileadi canceled by Deseret Book

Post by jonubg »

Deseret Book cancels Abraham Gileadi but puts Mitt Romney’s bio book up all over the store. Strange values DB has. Cancel great scholar who helps people understand Isaiah and then promotes Gadiantin loving, phony politician Mitt.

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Abraham Gileadi canceled by Deseret Book

Post by larsenb »

What's your source for claiming DB canceled Gileadi? Of course, I haven't been in DB for well over a decade, so wouldn't know what may be old news.

A Disciple
captain of 100

Post by A Disciple »

larsenb wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 5:13 pm What's your source for claiming DB canceled Gileadi? Of course, I haven't been in DB for well over a decade, so wouldn't know what may be old news.
Same question here. Deseret Book online shows some Gileadi books are available.

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Cruiserdude »

These are fruits. We are to be aware.... and to be wise as serpents and harmless as doves.

jonubg
captain of 50

Post by jonubg »

larsenb wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 5:13 pm What's your source for claiming DB canceled Gileadi? Of course, I haven't been in DB for well over a decade, so wouldn't know what may be old news.
Fair question.

This is from the Isaiah Institute news letter. I tried to get a link but this only goes out to those who have sign up for the newsletter.

"Question: Why has Deseret Book stopped selling your books?

Answer: After selling Isaiah Institute books for many years—until three months ago—Deseret Book decided to pull our books. While not offering a definitive answer why, or notifying the Isaiah Institute of its decision, it appears that decision was reached directly on the heels of a well-known anti-Mormon platform’s threatening to defame the books’ author, Avraham Gileadi."

The Red Pill
captain of 1,000

Post by The Red Pill »

Screenshot_20240323_204338_Gmail.jpg
Screenshot_20240323_204338_Gmail.jpg (393.75 KiB) Viewed 1159 times
Screen shot from a Gileadi email.

So...yes...Romney can lie, cheat and steal...and crickets. But even a vicious rumor about Gileadi is enough to "burn" his books.

So glad for discernment in church leadership...

kittycat51
captain of 1,000

Post by kittycat51 »

Jonubug thanks for posting. I get their newsletter as well and was so irritated when I read that this morning. What a screwy upside down world.

Libertas Est Salus
captain of 100

Post by Libertas Est Salus »

I got that email this morning. This stuck out to me: a “well-known anti-Mormon platform’s threatening to defame the books’ author, Avraham Gileadi."

Does anyone know or have any idea what this is referring to? Who or what is the well-known anti-Mormon platform?

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by larsenb »

jonubg wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 8:27 pm
Fair question.

This is from the Isaiah Institute news letter. I tried to get a link but this only goes out to those who have sign up for the newsletter.

Answer: After selling Isaiah Institute books for many years—until three months ago—Deseret Book decided to pull our books. While not offering a definitive answer why, or notifying the Isaiah Institute of its decision, it appears that decision was reached directly on the heels of a well-known anti-Mormon platform’s threatening to defame the books’ author, Avraham Gileadi."
I just noticed this in my Isaiah Institute feed. So DesBook is pre-distancing themselves, despite no proof of the allegation, because of rumor, essentially. Another reason to avoid the place.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

larsenb wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 9:41 pm
jonubg wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 8:27 pm
Fair question.

I just noticed this in my Isaiah Institute feed. So DesBook is pre-distancing themselves, despite no proof of the allegation, because of rumor, essentially. Another reason to avoid the place.
I understand a little of how that feels.

A 'friend' desperately needed spiritual help, which I freely gave... then as we walked further, she tried to get rid of me in a more and more apparent way (I figured something was going on, so I didn't leave, ha ha) because there was a rumor about me that she knew wasn't true, but didn't want her reputation to be tainted by being seen with me.

All I could think was, "What the heck, woman?!! You are soooooooo sad..."

endlessQuestions
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by endlessQuestions »

Libertas Est Salus wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 9:32 pm I got that email this morning. This stuck out to me: a “well-known anti-Mormon platform’s threatening to defame the books’ author, Avraham Gileadi."

Does anyone know or have any idea what this is referring to? Who or what is the well-known anti-Mormon platform?
FAIR Mormon is the most pro-Church, but anti-Mormon platform I know of. Maybe it’s referring to them? ;)

Telavian
captain of 1,000

Post by Telavian »

The LDS church doesn't care for the truth. Many people have mistakenly put their entire faith in the church and will be utterly shocked when it crumbles at the moment that need it the most.

SJR3t2
captain of 1,000

Post by SJR3t2 »

Abraham Gileadi is a liar. He can't show what he is claiming, and anti's fight against what much of what DB sells.

Telavian
captain of 1,000

Post by Telavian »

SJR3t2 wrote: March 24th, 2024, 11:42 am Abraham Gileadi is a liar. He can't show what he is claiming, and anti's fight against what much of what DB sells.
How does he lie? Can you list some examples?

elbur
captain of 100

Post by elbur »

This sounds like Herbert Marcuse's repressive tolerance: tolerate as much of the left as possible (e.g. the book from the gay former Cosmo who seems to be a clear apostate) and tolerate as little of the right as posible (e.g. Gileadi cancelled over, apparently, a mere rumor or impropriety). This would fit Deseret Book adopting leftist practices, assuming Gileadi's interest in traditional things like the scriptures makes him more to the right.

Dumb on DB's part. At least play fairly on both sides. Got a hair trigger for the right, get the same hair trigger for the left.

And I don't even like Gileadi's work. To be blunt, I personally find it shallow, thinly supported, and more than a little boring.

SJR3t2
captain of 1,000

Post by SJR3t2 »

Telavian wrote: March 24th, 2024, 11:53 am
SJR3t2 wrote: March 24th, 2024, 11:42 am Abraham Gileadi is a liar. He can't show what he is claiming, and anti's fight against what much of what DB sells.
This is one example. And soon I'll be working on showing problems with his Isaiah so called translations that contradict the JST and the BoM.

Telavian
captain of 1,000

Post by Telavian »

SJR3t2 wrote: March 24th, 2024, 12:28 pm
This is one example. And soon I'll be working on showing problems with his Isaiah so called translations that contradict the JST and the BoM.
You are saying he is a liar because DB cancelled him?

SJR3t2
captain of 1,000

Post by SJR3t2 »

Telavian wrote: March 24th, 2024, 12:30 pm

He's been a liar long before that. I've been to a lecture of his where he claimed Nephi did not speak out against corrupt leaders to keep the peace. He pushes Kabbalah https://seekingyhwh.org/resources/kabbalah/ and the occult in his books https://seekingyhwh.org/resources/occult/ along with the oral law https://seekingyhwh.org/resources/oral-law/ .

SJR3t2
captain of 1,000

Post by SJR3t2 »

Telavian wrote: March 24th, 2024, 12:30 pm

DB cancelled his books because of what he teaches, and they want to distance themselves from it.

logonbump
captain of 100

Post by logonbump »

The Red Pill wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 8:50 pm Screenshot_20240323_204338_Gmail.jpg

Screen shot from a Gileadi email.

So...yes...Romney can lie, cheat and steal...and crickets. But even a vicious rumor about Gileadi is enough to "burn" his books.

So glad for discernment in church leadership...
Threats sound like blackmail, which is a nearly certain possibility, knowing the crowd Gileadi runs with nowadays.

Not that he hasn't done some fine work in the past, he just stands to be target #1 to be discredited since his work has done so much to clarify some damning scripture and point the finger to a corrupt culture.

It's too bad, since so many testimonies of Isaiah and the Book of Mormon were awakened and enlivened by his translation and book The Last Days; and many more can be.

He toured with Thom Harrison for awhile across Utah and Idaho. He compared Isaiah's vision with Visions of Glory in a lecture series. Troubling?
Last edited by logonbump on March 24th, 2024, 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Atrasado
captain of 1,000

Post by Atrasado »

Libertas Est Salus wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 9:32 pm I got that email this morning. This stuck out to me: a “well-known anti-Mormon platform’s threatening to defame the books’ author, Avraham Gileadi."

I've seen quite a bit defaming Gileadi on r/exmormon, but who knows for sure? Some of it had something to do with the disturbed Arizona woman who believes her son is the one mighty and strong.

In my study of Isaiah I did come across some translations I disagreed with, however, nothing I'm certain about and nothing that I remembered as being too consequential. I came to favor the NST (New Standard American Translation) of Isaiah, although there are issues with it, as well, it seems to me. There are some beliefs Gileadi teaches that at significant and which I believe are wrong. I know that a LOT of what Rob Smith teaches is pure Gileadi.

There have also been some disturbing accusations about Gileadi and people he has associated with. I have no idea how true they are so I won't repeat them.
Last edited by Atrasado on March 24th, 2024, 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Red Pill
captain of 1,000

Post by The Red Pill »

Wow, so damning accusations and running with a "questionable" crowd is reason to dismiss him???

The same was said about Christ, Joseph Smith...so is DB going to pull books about them???

Telavian
captain of 1,000

Post by Telavian »

I will be honest there is safety in staying within the Mormon bubble and that is why people do it. However the same can be said about staying in your house for your whole life.

Once you exit the bubble then there are many ways to get off the track and people certainly do it regularly. This doesn't mean though that we should stay in the bubble. We should fully trust in Christ and be willing to be corrected. However this is much harder than just "follow the prophet".

solonan
captain of 100

Post by solonan »

I think it's because of Mormon Stories with John Dehlin. He has caused quite a stir because of Chad and Lori Daybell and the Arizona mother who kidnapped her son and tried to get to Alaska because she felt he was the DS. Apparently these folks were big Gileadi and VofG fans. Because they were, Dehlin equated their nuttiness as being influenced by those books.

RosyPosy
captain of 100

Post by RosyPosy »

The fact that Deseret Book is doing this makes me want to buy Gileadi's books now.