Discussion Group: In what way(s) do you believe the LDS church is or isn’t involved in secret combinations?

For discussion of secret combinations (political, economic, spiritual, religious, etc.) (Ether 8:18-25.)
ILiveIDieILiveAgain
captain of 100

Re: Discussion Group ⚔️

Post by ILiveIDieILiveAgain »

BeNotDeceived wrote: April 28th, 2024, 1:00 pm
ILiveIDieILiveAgain wrote: April 26th, 2024, 10:29 am Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

They just must be! How could they not?? - is not extraordinary evidence.
It just feels like they are! - also, not extraordinary evidence.
I had a dream/vision! - not extraordinary evidence.
(Extraordinary timing of earthquakes, is certainly said type evidence.) ⚔️
Getting a lucky hit - not extraordinary evidence.
Saying 7.0 (or whatever number) until a 7.0 happens is not evidence - that's just playing statistics until it finally sticks - not extraordinary evidence.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

ILiveIDieILiveAgain wrote: April 29th, 2024, 9:03 am
ILiveIDieILiveAgain wrote: April 26th, 2024, 10:29 am Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

They just must be! How could they not?? - is not extraordinary evidence.
It just feels like they are! - also, not extraordinary evidence.
I had a dream/vision! - not extraordinary evidence.
Saying 7.0 (or whatever number) until a 7.0 happens is not evidence - that's just playing statistics until it finally sticks - not extraordinary evidence.
How many strong earthquakes occurred until prescribed 7.3 struck?

How many were significant?

ILiveIDieILiveAgain
captain of 100

Post by ILiveIDieILiveAgain »

BeNotDeceived wrote: April 30th, 2024, 8:34 pm
ILiveIDieILiveAgain wrote: April 29th, 2024, 9:03 am

How many strong earthquakes occurred until prescribed 7.3 struck?

How many were significant?
Going back how far? Are we talking the billions, if not trillions, of strong earthquakes since the earth began? Or just since Jesus? Considering ~20,000 earthquakes a year, that's at least 40,000,000 earthquakes since the big one that happened when Jesus died. If 7.0+ is what you mean by "strong", there's 15-ish or so per year, so, 30,000 since Jesus.
How many of those were significant? None of them. None of them were more significant than any of the others. Fine, you can have the Jesus death one. So, 1 in 30,000+ "strong" earthquakes has eternal significance.
I'm very Ok with saying that "predicting" 1 in 30,000 earthquakes is not extraordinary evidence.
1 in 30,000 is pretty good odds, actually. Most larger lottery winnings aren't even that good.

Now, if someone could predict just 1 of the 15-ish strong earthquakes per year, that is certainly getting close to extraordinary evidence. 1 in 15 odds is just 6.67% chance to succeed. Do that over 16 years, and you'll peg it. Still, 7.something isn't that much of a range; just pick a value, predict it every year until it happens. Again, just statistical luck and not extraordinary evidence. If you can predict it in the following month, now we're getting into extraordinary (unless all you do is just keep saying 7.3 at the beginning of every month until one happens). Down to the week and/or day, getting more there. Pinpoint the location, really getting there. The more times one can successfully repeat this, the more extraordinary it becomes.

Your prescribed 7.3 - none of the above applies to it. That makes it nothing more than a one hit wonder.

The same for anybody who makes a claim to anything. The claim that the LDS church is involved in secret combinations. First things first, if anybody could bring forth clearly credible and undisputable collaboration evidence - maybe audio and/or email communication with unambiguous discussion of the type specifying "built up to get power and gain ... to overthrow the freedom of all lands, nations, and countries" (Moroni's classification of what he declares extraordinary to be), then if they could repeat producing that for all the combinationS, plural, that they are accusing of, each successful repeat makes for more extraordinary. Since the only thing anybody can present is supposing, guessing, surmising, pretending, fantasizing, "dreaming/visioning", while yelling, griping, complaining, throwing beer bottles from their armchair warrior front porch at passersby, it just amounts to wacked out mormons and their wacked out la-la land ideas. Causing everybody to consider us weirdos that they try to avoid in every way possible. Effectively throwing a wrench in God's engine of bringing to pass the immortality and eternal life of man.

Hogmeister
captain of 100

Re: Discussion Group: In what way(s) do you believe the LDS church is or isn’t involved in secret combinations?

Post by Hogmeister »

HereWeGo wrote: November 24th, 2023, 7:04 pm
fractal_light_harvest wrote: November 24th, 2023, 5:21 pm
Membership in S&B? What’s S&B?
Skull & Bones -- a secret society with blood oaths to be loyal to the society. It is my understanding that there are public records showing another of the 15 is also a member (Holland, I believe).
As far as I have investigated I have only found the existence of 2 "chapters" of Skull & Bones. The mother "chapter" at Yale in New Haven, Connecticut (Where you have at least 3 known presidents of the US as secret society members) and the chapter at University of Utah. Are there any other known chapters of Skull & Bones?

silverado
captain of 100

Re: Discussion Group: In what way(s) do you believe the LDS church is or isn’t involved in secret combinations?

Post by silverado »

Hogmeister wrote: May 15th, 2024, 4:12 am
fractal_light_harvest wrote: November 24th, 2023, 5:21 pm
Membership in S&B? What’s S&B?
Skull & Bones -- a secret society with blood oaths to be loyal to the society. It is my understanding that there are public records showing another of the 15 is also a member (Holland, I believe).
As far as I have investigated I have only found the existence of 2 "chapters" of Skull & Bones. The mother "chapter" at Yale in New Haven, Connecticut (Where you have at least 3 known presidents of the US as secret society members) and the chapter at University of Utah. Are there any other known chapters of Skull & Bones?
I think two is all there are.

Hogmeister
captain of 100

Post by Hogmeister »

silverado wrote: May 19th, 2024, 2:56 pm
Hogmeister wrote: May 15th, 2024, 4:12 am

I think two is all there are.
Pretty interesting (or rather disturbing) that the only chapter of S&B other than the original is found in Utah. And it has been operating since 1909. Should raise all kinds of questions and investigations for the BoM believers.

MikeMaillet
captain of 1,000

Post by MikeMaillet »

Sometimes a handshake is more than a handshake.

Mike
Attachments
handshake.jpg
handshake.jpg (57.52 KiB) Viewed 93 times
95c1924e-a0f0-4cd6-907b-45952e8a1b0b-large16x9_AP19096603601954.jpg
95c1924e-a0f0-4cd6-907b-45952e8a1b0b-large16x9_AP19096603601954.jpg (75.77 KiB) Viewed 93 times
9zo7xlrbuw801 copy.jpg
9zo7xlrbuw801 copy.jpg (109.85 KiB) Viewed 93 times