Let’s see what your tithing dollars have purchased next …

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.

Rubicon
captain of 1,000

Re: Let’s see what your tithing dollars have purchased next …

Post by Rubicon »

You're currently in a stake presidency, right? Does the rest of your presidency know how you feel about the Church?

If not, have you thought about being transparent with them?

And/or with members of your stake? Do they know that you criticize the Brethren and the Church online?

markharr
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by markharr »

A wharehouse can be used to store food and necessities. Western governments are beginning to seize farms and make it difficult to produce food using climate change as an excuse. We should begin storing as much food as we can everywhere we can.

Isn't this what you guys were complaining about? That the billions was tied up in investments and sitting in accounts rather than being used to feed and house the poor.

Seems like they can't win.

spiritMan
captain of 1,000

Post by spiritMan »

markharr wrote: May 29th, 2023, 5:21 pm A wharehouse can be used to store food and necessities. Western governments are beginning to seize farms and make it difficult to produce food using climate change as an excuse. We should begin storing as much food as we can everywhere we can.

Isn't this what you guys were complaining about? That the billions was tied up in investments and sitting in accounts rather than being used to feed and house the poor.

That's not what the Church bought it for:

"“This disposal allows us to crystallise the value we have created through both the timely acquisition of an asset in a prime London logistics location and our subsequent active asset management of the property, including a long lease to a global e-commerce business,” Fulton said. “We will use proceeds of the sale to enhance earnings, primarily by paying down some short-term debt.”"

markharr
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by markharr »

spiritMan wrote: May 29th, 2023, 5:22 pm
markharr wrote: May 29th, 2023, 5:21 pm A wharehouse can be used to store food and necessities. Western governments are beginning to seize farms and make it difficult to produce food using climate change as an excuse. We should begin storing as much food as we can everywhere we can.

"“This disposal allows us to crystallise the value we have created through both the timely acquisition of an asset in a prime London logistics location and our subsequent active asset management of the property, including a long lease to a global e-commerce business,” Fulton said. “We will use proceeds of the sale to enhance earnings, primarily by paying down some short-term debt.”"
Fair enough.

spiritMan
captain of 1,000

Post by spiritMan »

LDS Physician wrote: May 29th, 2023, 4:18 pm A $96 million warehouse!

Hallelujah!

https://www.standard.co.uk/business/mor ... 83950.html
Nice . . . take tithing money put it into the stock market-earn profits tax-free b/c "charity", take money from "charity", go buy a commercial INVESTMENT property that is an Amazon warehouse, RENT the warehouse back to Amazon (maybe for a reduced price???), hold the warehouse as property values rise, take the rent from the warehouse and MAYBE, MAYBE use it for "charitable" work, in 20 years sell warehouse for bank!

Seems like it's an money-making scheme masquerading as a church.

Just think-a portion of your tithing money went to buy a commercial investment property! Lovely.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Tithing pounds.

spiritMan
captain of 1,000

Post by spiritMan »

markharr wrote: May 29th, 2023, 5:25 pm

Fair enough.
To be clear Fulton represents the seller. However by saying "including a long lease to a global e-commerce business"; it means that the warehouse CURRENTLY has a lease with Amazon, which means the Church will pick up that "long lease". Amazon is still going to need the warehouse, i.e. they ain't going anywhere, they just changed property management owners.

markharr
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by markharr »

spiritMan wrote: May 29th, 2023, 5:31 pm

Why would Amazon sell and lease a wharehouse that they owned? I am genuinely curious?

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

spiritMan wrote: May 29th, 2023, 5:31 pm Why would Amazon sell and lease a wharehouse that they owned? I am genuinely curious?
This is a not uncommon business practice these days. I find it illogical. As I understand it, from Amazon's POV:
* The rent can be claimed against tax.
* They pay rent but not for maintenance.
* They can also leave it quickly without having to worry about selling it on or demolishing it.
* It is not an asset which can be impounded or seized because they don't own it.

spiritMan
captain of 1,000

Post by spiritMan »

markharr wrote: May 29th, 2023, 5:34 pm
spiritMan wrote: May 29th, 2023, 5:31 pm

Why would Amazon sell and lease a wharehouse that they owned? I am genuinely curious?
These companies NEVER own their facilities. There are many tax reasons to lease/rent/etc. Big, big companies own commercial properties and then rent out those buildings to companies. It's cheaper for Amazon to have the OPTION to pick up and go somewhere else if need be rather than take out a loan and build out their own building.

If Amazon bought it's own building it would be stuck at the facility for 30+ years while they either pay off the loan or try to sell the building; much easier to have a lease that way they have the flexibility to cut and run should they need to. In practice those leases are going to be VERY long-term b/c it costs a TON of money to move a warehouse.

spiritMan
captain of 1,000

Post by spiritMan »

Niemand wrote: May 29th, 2023, 5:42 pm
spiritMan wrote: May 29th, 2023, 5:31 pm Why would Amazon sell and lease a wharehouse that they owned? I am genuinely curious?
This is a not uncommon business practice these days. I find it illogical. As I understand it, from Amazon's POV:
* The rent can be claimed against tax.
* They pay rent but not for maintenance.
* They can also leave it quickly without having to worry about selling it on or demolishing it.
* It is not an asset which can be impounded or seized because they don't own it.
Bingo.

LDS Physician
captain of 1,000

Post by LDS Physician »

Rubicon wrote: May 29th, 2023, 5:00 pm You're currently in a stake presidency, right? Does the rest of your presidency know how you feel about the Church?

And/or with members of your stake? Do they know that you criticize the Brethren and the Church online?
Rubicon wrote: May 29th, 2023, 5:00 pm You're currently in a stake presidency, right? Does the rest of your presidency know how you feel about the Church?

I am and they do. We’re quite open with our opinions. We don’t think it’s an error to disagree with church leadership. We also think it’s cult-like to expect everyone to keep their mouths shut when leaders err.

If I make a mistake as a leader, I’d expect those who I lead to point it out to me so that I can improve and REPENT. It is, after all, a main tenet of the gospel.

So when I see my tithing money (which is equivalent to a portion of my very life) is spent on a mall, or a fat check to the NAACP, or on a Hawaiian resort … it is not only my right to protest it, it’s my duty.

Chip
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Chip »

It seems you are suggesting LDSphysician is guilty of thought crime. Or, is this a simpler case of disagreement with actions of a corporation that he volunteers his resources to?

Seed Starter
captain of 1,000

Post by Seed Starter »

LDS Physician wrote: May 29th, 2023, 5:51 pm

I am and they do. We’re quite open with our opinions. We don’t think it’s an error to disagree with church leadership. We also think it’s cult-like to expect everyone to keep their mouths shut when leaders err.

If I make a mistake as a leader, I’d expect those who I lead to point it out to me so that I can improve and REPENT. It is, after all, a main tenet of the gospel.

So when I see my tithing money (which is equivalent to a portion of my very life) is spent on a mall, or a fat check to the NAACP, or on a Hawaiian resort … it is not only my right to protest it, it’s my duty.
Can I please speak with your manager... I am the manager. Ok then can I speak to your manager... NOW!! Upper manager immediately backs up lower manager. OK I'm gonna need to speak to the owner then. Upper manager. I'm also the owner. Customer walks off in a huff :lol: :lol: :lol:

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

What about an incorrect tithe being required and spent (in the hundreds of millions) on “fine sanctuaries”? I bet that one doesn’t fly under the radar very well.

LDS Physician
captain of 1,000

Post by LDS Physician »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: May 29th, 2023, 9:38 pm

What about an incorrect tithe being required and spent (in the hundreds of millions) on “fine sanctuaries”? I bet that one doesn’t fly under the radar very well.
Ya ... my list could have been much longer. "Landlord to Amazon in the UK" could apparently be on the list now as well.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

There is precedent for this kind of thing here. We're behaving in much the same way as the Church of England. The CofE has massive investments just like this and rakes in a fortune. Which is why, with dwindling church attendances and a corresponding reduction in donations, the CofE remains pretty much unaffected.
The UK authorities will not regard this investment suspiciously even though it is officially "charity".

Chip
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Chip »

Robin Hood wrote: May 29th, 2023, 9:56 pm There is precedent for this kind of thing here. We're behaving in much the same way as the Church of England. The CofE has massive investments just like this and rakes in a fortune. Which is why, with dwindling church attendances and a corresponding reduction in donations, the CofE remains pretty much unaffected.
The UK authorities will not regard this investment suspiciously even though it is officially "charity".

Perhaps they have made a covenant with death and hell.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Chip wrote: May 29th, 2023, 10:15 pm
Robin Hood wrote: May 29th, 2023, 9:56 pm There is precedent for this kind of thing here. We're behaving in much the same way as the Church of England. The CofE has massive investments just like this and rakes in a fortune. Which is why, with dwindling church attendances and a corresponding reduction in donations, the CofE remains pretty much unaffected.

Perhaps indeed.

Seed Starter
captain of 1,000

Post by Seed Starter »

Is this the covenant path I hear them talking about these days? LDS Physician will you write us from your European mission when you get settled in? Your IP address has been recorded and forwarded to the general authorities. Following standard re-education protocols a struggle session has been scheduled for your stake presidency on June 13th at 7PM in your local Stake building prior to your European mission departure on the first available flight out of town. Resistance is futile :twisted: :lol:

Good & Global
captain of 1,000

Post by Good & Global »

markharr wrote: May 29th, 2023, 5:25 pm

Fair enough.
This is the problem with all this they are playing the Bill Gates game buying up land and farmland but we keep assuming they are doing it for good things and it will benefit the world and particular us.

What they never had any intention of doing any such thing with these acquisitions but they had alternative motives in mind?

How long before we say yep we are frogs and that water is mighty hot? Of course, it will probably all work out after a nice hot bath!

Good & Global
captain of 1,000

Post by Good & Global »

Is the covenant path the same as the one paved with good intentions?

LDS Physician
captain of 1,000

Post by LDS Physician »

Good & Global wrote: May 30th, 2023, 12:00 am

Is the covenant path the same as the one paved with good intentions?
No, it's the one you walk while you gather your robes on the way to a crucifixion.

randyps
captain of 100

Post by randyps »

Your complaining about where the tiths are spent is based on rumors and not fact. You really dont know where your literal tithing money went to.
Lets say your stake as a whole paid $100,000 in tithes this month. 20,000 went to bishops store house, 20,000 went to facilities, 60,000 went to SLC.
If you paid $1,000 in tithes how do you know if your 1000 went to support the storehouse, facilities or SLC?

At the end of the day only beta males complain and comply at the same time.