Livestock antibiotics will be "prescription only"

Discuss the last days, Zion, second coming, emergency preparedness, alternative health, etc.
JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Livestock antibiotics will be "prescription only"

Post by JohnnyL »

A heads up:

https://extension.umn.edu/news/over-cou ... ne-11-2023

Luckily it's just antibiotics, which Ivermectin is not.

Wolfwoman
captain of 1,000

Re: Livestock antibiotics will be "prescription only"

Post by Wolfwoman »

It’s probably a good thing, since antibiotics have been overused, mostly in regards to livestock, inadvertently creating antibiotic resistant bacteria.

TwochurchesOnly
captain of 1,000

Post by TwochurchesOnly »

JohnnyL wrote: May 19th, 2023, 11:36 am A heads up:

https://extension.umn.edu/news/over-cou ... ne-11-2023

Luckily it's just antibiotics, which Ivermectin is not.
Damn them

HereWeGo
captain of 1,000

Post by HereWeGo »

You can still order them from here. All us fishies need an emergency supply of antibiotics.

https://fishmoxfishflex.com/

Chip
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Chip »

You can go to www.indiamart.com and order real human antibiotics for pennies on the dollar.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

HereWeGo wrote: May 19th, 2023, 1:18 pm You can still order them from here. All us fishies need an emergency supply of antibiotics.

https://fishmoxfishflex.com/
Unfortunately, at least some fish websites are following this same rule.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

Chip wrote: May 19th, 2023, 3:03 pm You can go to www.indiamart.com and order real human antibiotics for pennies on the dollar.
The difference being that animal antibiotics are legal, but probably not these.

Chip
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Chip »

JohnnyL wrote: May 19th, 2023, 4:38 pm
Chip wrote: May 19th, 2023, 3:03 pm You can go to www.indiamart.com and order real human antibiotics for pennies on the dollar.
They arrive in your mailbox and they work. Some bactrim I ordered started healing my friend's wife's UTI in several hours after first dose. It may be safer than stuff coming from China.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

Chip wrote: May 19th, 2023, 5:00 pm
JohnnyL wrote: May 19th, 2023, 4:38 pm
They arrive in your mailbox and they work. Some bactrim I ordered started healing my friend's wife's UTI in several hours after first dose. It may be safer than stuff coming from China.
Oh, I'll agree on it being better than China.

BTW, some fish stores (I guess after having talked to their lawyers) have clarified that they are not under this law, so will continue to sell. However, I see it as just another big step in one direction, and can see it continuing.

Wolfwoman
captain of 1,000

Post by Wolfwoman »

I ordered some meds, including antibiotics- Not from India Mart, but from elsewhere that ultimately traced back to India.
Back when I saw that hospitals were killing people. And pharmacists were not filling valid prescriptions. I didn’t want to be left high and dry.
My understanding is that it’s legal to get meds from Mexico, India, wherever, as long as it’s for your personal use and you’re not going to resell it.

I’m not a livestock owner, so maybe I’m missing something. But why not try to cultivate good health in your animals so that they don’t need constant antibiotics? And then if they do get sick, you get a vet to prescribe your antibiotics? (Now that I think of it, why did animals get more rights than humans?)
People somehow managed to raise livestock for thousands of years before antibiotics were invented.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

Wolfwoman wrote: May 20th, 2023, 8:02 am I ordered some meds, including antibiotics- Not from India Mart, but from elsewhere that ultimately traced back to India.
Back when I saw that hospitals were killing people. And pharmacists were not filling valid prescriptions. I didn’t want to be left high and dry.
My understanding is that it’s legal to get meds from Mexico, India, wherever, as long as it’s for your personal use and you’re not going to resell it.

I’m not a livestock owner, so maybe I’m missing something. But why not try to cultivate good health in your animals so that they don’t need constant antibiotics? And then if they do get sick, you get a vet to prescribe your antibiotics? (Now that I think of it, why did animals get more rights than humans?)
People somehow managed to raise livestock for thousands of years before antibiotics were invented.
The cost difference is just huge, and availability was an issue for a long time ("Ivermectin: Out of Stock" on plenty of webpages then). Now, hospitals likely don't have to give Ivermectin if the patient/ family asks for it. What would cost $500+ (using the cheapest fish meds in the USA) for one-two months, would cost $100 for 8 months using Indian medicine.

"My understanding is that it’s legal to get meds from Mexico, India, wherever, as long as it’s for your personal use and you’re not going to resell it."
An Indian company or two were saying that Paypal was reporting it to the USPS and the USPS was intercepting packages.

We were watching a vet show and the heat was killing cows. I thought, put a wet blanket on them and have them lie in the shade. Or get in a windy area. Or open the barn windows. Or... Did I miss something?

There was a great book (also for animal care) by a doctor called "Folk Medicine" that talked about the importance of potassium, honey, kelp, iodine, castor oil, and corn oil (back then). He healed all kinds of animals will all kinds of ills and diseases using those things.

Wolfwoman
captain of 1,000

Post by Wolfwoman »

JohnnyL wrote: May 20th, 2023, 8:20 am
Wolfwoman wrote: May 20th, 2023, 8:02 am I ordered some meds, including antibiotics- Not from India Mart, but from elsewhere that ultimately traced back to India.

The cost difference is just huge, and availability was an issue for a long time ("Ivermectin: Out of Stock" on plenty of webpages then). Now, hospitals likely don't have to give Ivermectin if the patient/ family asks for it. What would cost $500+ (using the cheapest fish meds in the USA) for one-two months, would cost $100 for 8 months using Indian medicine.

"My understanding is that it’s legal to get meds from Mexico, India, wherever, as long as it’s for your personal use and you’re not going to resell it."
An Indian company or two were saying that Paypal was reporting it to the USPS and the USPS was intercepting packages.

We were watching a vet show and the heat was killing cows. I thought, put a wet blanket on them and have them lie in the shade. Or get in a windy area. Or open the barn windows. Or... Did I miss something?

There was a great book (also for animal care) by a doctor called "Folk Medicine" that talked about the importance of potassium, honey, kelp, iodine, castor oil, and corn oil (back then). He healed all kinds of animals will all kinds of ills and diseases using those things.
Ivermectin is not an antibiotic. Are you saying there is or will be a shortage of antibiotics?
Last edited by Wolfwoman on May 20th, 2023, 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wolfwoman
captain of 1,000

Post by Wolfwoman »

Interesting about PayPal reporting people. I didn’t pay by PayPal. I paid by direct bank transfer or credit card.

Seed Starter
captain of 1,000

Post by Seed Starter »

Just remember when cows get antibiotics so do we ;) P.S. I eat meat too.

Check this out from one of my recent Substack articles. I was shocked by so much as I researched this topic. I thought some that see this conversation might be interested. The link between gut health and antibiotic over use is stunning. Not saying never use them. I explore the link between gut health and sexual dysmorphia in part 2 ;) Nobody got mad because I don't have that many subs yet. I'm ready for it.
https://wildasparagus.substack.com/p/ho ... see-part-1
“The meat industry has exploited the weight effect for decades, adding subtherapeutic doses of antibiotics to animals’ feed to make them gain weight.” If it fattens cows and pigs what can it do to me?

“Repeated antibiotic exposure is common in early life, varies widely by country, and is often not medically justified. Observational data indicate that people who receive antibiotics have a higher risk of chronic diseases later in life, eg:
Type 2 diabetes (odds ratio 1.21, 95% confidence interval 1.19-1.23 with 2 to 4 courses, and odds ratio 1.53 (1.50-1.55) with 5 or more courses, up to 15 years after 25.
Obesity: US states with the highest prevalence of antibiotic use also have the highest prevalence of obesity.
Kidney stones: prior antibiotic exposure in a large UK study was associated with increased kidney stone risk, for exposures up to 5 years earlier.”

“More than 73 billion antibiotic doses are prescribed worldwide yearly, or about 10 doses for every man, woman, and child on Earth, and the numbers are rising. In the United States 262 million courses were prescribed in 2011, or 842 per 1,000 population. Children receive a mean of 2.7 courses by age 2, and 10.9 by age 10. More than 50% of women receive antibiotics during pregnancy or perinatally. This is in addition to an unknown level of exposure from agricultural use of antibiotics.”

"Loss of microbial diversity in the mother appears to be cumulative over succeeding generations. For example, in a study in Japanese families, Urita et al found a decline in the prevalence of Helicobacter pylori colonization from 68.7% in the first generation to 43.4% in the second generation and 14% in the third. Clemente et al studied the intestinal microbiota in a previously uncontacted group of Yanomami people in the Amazon jungle and found they had the highest diversity of bacteria ever reported in a human group. By comparison, the research team calculated that we in the United States have already lost 50% of our microbial diversity, and 2 other groups, the Guahibo (another Amerindian group) and rural Malawians, were in between. More recent studies are confirming these observations."

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

In general, bacteria is a lot easier to kill with alternative methods than fungus or parasites, and antibiotics mess you up a lot more than fungal and parasitical medicines.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Wolfwoman wrote: May 20th, 2023, 8:02 am My understanding is that it’s legal to get meds from Mexico, India, wherever, as long as it’s for your personal use and you’re not going to resell it.
True. We get meds from India. I think the limit is a 90-day supply. It really helps because a member of my family needs prescription meds that cost a lot more here.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

JohnnyL wrote: May 20th, 2023, 8:20 amAn Indian company or two were saying that Paypal was reporting it to the USPS and the USPS was intercepting packages.
I have never, ever heard of this. We don't usually use PP to pay, but have in the past, but have never had a problem. It's perfectly legal to buy meds from India. And I doubt USPS ever intercepted packages, though Customs might have.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

An Ivermectin pill is $.10 (maybe a little more, depending on your deal) from India.
Here, that same pill is $2 - $5.50/ pill (depending on how many you buy, in bulk).

The gap can be much, much bigger for other medicines.