New "modular" temples

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Serragon
captain of 1,000

Re: New "modular" temples

Post by Serragon »

And the sanitizing of any semblance of culture continues apace.

The church doesn't seem to realize that it isn't the title of "temple" that makes these buildings special. it is the sacrifice and faith of those who built them as a testament to their love of their God.

I am all for building new temples in places where there is an actual need. But the fruit of this current system of plopping down cookie cutter temples everywhere with no local input or involvement will likely be complacency on the part of the members.

madvin
captain of 1,000

Post by madvin »

Does not the Lord himself visit the temples before they open, to show His approval?

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

madvin wrote: May 17th, 2023, 11:29 am Does not the Lord himself visit the temples before they open, to show His approval?
He signs the QA stickers... :)
Attachments
QA-jesus.jpg
QA-jesus.jpg (57.99 KiB) Viewed 240 times

madvin
captain of 1,000

Post by madvin »

Ymarsakar wrote: May 17th, 2023, 9:45 am I have a new modular temple, it is called my body.
Hmmm...in what sense is your body modular?

madvin
captain of 1,000

Post by madvin »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: May 17th, 2023, 11:32 am
madvin wrote: May 17th, 2023, 11:29 am Does not the Lord himself visit the temples before they open, to show His approval?
that was a quick/i] reply!

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

madvin wrote: May 17th, 2023, 11:33 am
Ymarsakar wrote: May 17th, 2023, 9:45 am I have a new modular temple, it is called my body.
Definitely has to do with the bowels... :)

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: May 17th, 2023, 10:01 am
mudflap wrote: May 17th, 2023, 9:51 am
But no, the true pattern is not to take care of everyone first and then build a temple. The true pattern is sacrifice. Jesus said, "the poor you always have among you".
I strongly believe this verse has been used to justify class distinction and the glorification of idols and to abuse the poor. It's the same scripture the LDS org uses to justify their fine sanctuaries.
I'm sorry, I just don't see the problem with having poor people AND temples at the same time. Some folks who are poor will never be rich, due to their poor attitudes. You can throw millions at them, and they'll remain poor - they'll gamble it away, or use it for drugs, or whores, or whatever - you just can't "fix" everyone - it was obvious to the Savior, but apparently not to Judas.

We were so destitute growing up with a single mom raising 5 kids that I went to school hungry when we had nothing to eat - waiting until school lunch to eat. And this happened often. As soon as she got her paycheck, she would blow it on pizza, and movie rentals - "I work hard, I deserve to celebrate!", she would tell us. We were on church welfare, and they did everything they could to help my mom out - even offered to pay for school for her so she could get a better job - but she refused. As siblings, we begged her to take advantage of the offer, promising to help out with laundry, dishes, yard care, and shopping, but she was too stubborn to see the blessing. She's still stubborn, and she's still poor. There is no fix for her. We've all tried over the years, and are still trying, and we even had a meeting as siblings not too long ago to discover what the solution should be when she's too old to take care of herself. It's definitely not the church's fault - but according to your logic, we should've ceased all temple building until she was somehow "not poor", along with the millions like her? What is your definition of "not poor"? Would you have refused the widow's mite? Jesus thought it was a pretty great thing she did. Maybe he was abusing the poor?

Temples are definitely part of the equation of the true Gospel - you cannot argue that they aren't.

I'll add that we don't have a record of anything beyond an altar for Adam & Eve. But we know that Moses started out with the burning bush, but ended up with a tabernacle.

Same thing with Nephi - started out on a mountain, and ended up with an "exceedingly fine" temple.

JS started out in a grove of trees, and ended up with two mighty fine temples.

An altar of stones / grove of trees / burning bush is just "How it started"

A temple or temples is "How it's going".

Now, do I agree with every single word of the temple ceremony? meh. But I'm not willing to throw the baby out with the bath water either.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

mudflap wrote: May 17th, 2023, 11:47 am I'm sorry, I just don't see the problem with having poor people AND temples at the same time. Some folks who are poor will never be rich, due to their poor attitudes. You can throw millions at them, and they'll remain poor - they'll gamble it away, or use it for drugs, or whores, or whatever - you just can't "fix" everyone - it was obvious to the Savior, but apparently not to Judas.

We were so destitute growing up with a single mom raising 5 kids that I went to school hungry when we had nothing to eat - waiting until school lunch to eat. And this happened often. As soon as she got her paycheck, she would blow it on pizza, and movie rentals - "I work hard, I deserve to celebrate!", she would tell us. We were on church welfare, and they did everything they could to help my mom out - even offered to pay for school for her so she could get a better job - but she refused. As siblings, we begged her to take advantage of the offer, promising to help out with laundry, dishes, yard care, and shopping, but she was too stubborn to see the blessing. She's still stubborn, and she's still poor. There is no fix for her. We've all tried over the years, and are still trying, and we even had a meeting as siblings not too long ago to discover what the solution should be when she's too old to take care of herself. It's definitely not the church's fault - but according to your logic, we should've ceased all temple building until she was somehow "not poor", along with the millions like her? What is your definition of "not poor"? Would you have refused the widow's mite? Jesus thought it was a pretty great thing she did. Maybe he was abusing the poor?

Temples are definitely part of the equation of the true Gospel - you cannot argue that they aren't.

I'll add that we don't have a record of anything beyond an altar for Adam & Eve. But we know that Moses started out with the burning bush, but ended up with a tabernacle.

Same thing with Nephi - started out on a mountain, and ended up with an "exceedingly fine" temple.

Now, do I agree with every single word of the temple ceremony? meh. But I'm not willing to throw the baby out with the bath water either.
The problem isn't having people who are intentionally lazy/poor. The problem is a church that grinds the face of the poor (the truly righteous) and does it through tyrannical authoritarianism. You are paying for your salvation, even if you are living below the poverty level and doing all you can to provide for your family. This is wrong.

Correct temple worship is part of the gospel equation, not what we have today.

There is truth in the endowment, but fractions of it. I have very strong opinions about how they've distorted truth. I've literally left the church to keep the baby, Christ's teachings and doctrine. That's how bad the temple has become an idol and false worship.

Lineman1012
captain of 100

Post by Lineman1012 »

I remember a GC talk about the quality control of temple building, "Temple Standard", in which Elder Scott D. Whiting https://www.ch ... d?lang=eng talked about the renovation of the Hawaii Temple and going on a QC walk with the church building department manager and the contractor. There was grit on the walls and a window that had a little piece out of plumb by 1/8". He made them tear out the window and make it straight.

If this same "Temple Standard" is kept for the modular temples all I can say is good luck! There is no way you can build something in the Alabama and ship it across the country/world and put the many pieces together and be within the required "Tempe Standard" let alone be within an eighth of an inch! Not in this world.

InfoWarrior82
Level 34 Illuminated
Location: "There are 15 on the earth today, you can trust them completely." -President Nelson (Jan 2022)

Post by InfoWarrior82 »

Subcomandante wrote: May 16th, 2023, 3:06 pm I think those new temples are quite cool.

There's been an acceleration in temple building because they are necessary to fulfill the work quicker. Brigham Young spoke of thousands of temples in the Millennium.
Where's the commandment from the Lord to build all these temples? I only know of the commandment to build the Kirtland, nauvoo, far west, and independence temples.

Is it time to change article of faith #10?

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Lineman1012 wrote: May 17th, 2023, 12:27 pm
I remember a GC talk about the quality control of temple building, "Temple Standard", in which Elder Scott D. Whiting https://www.ch ... d?lang=eng talked about the renovation of the Hawaii Temple and going on a QC walk with the church building department manager and the contractor. There was grit on the walls and a window that had a little piece out of plumb by 1/8". He made them tear out the window and make it straight.

If this same "Temple Standard" is kept for the modular temples all I can say is good luck! There is no way you can build something in the Alabama and ship it across the country/world and put the many pieces together and be within the required "Tempe Standard" let alone be within an eighth of an inch! Not in this world.
Where the scriptures teach to avoid the appearance of evil, the church also subconsciously teaches the "appearance of righteousness."

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

I'll make the bold claim that the very covenant of the Law of the Gospel is broken before you even enter the doors. For starters, an incorrect tithe is required to enter. And you have to pledge your oath to man and obey them. The Law of the Gospel is much more rich than the LDS org pretends it to be. You can't even discuss it inside or outside the temple. Heck, they just tell you to look to the scriptures. So much for this being house of learning. "Please use your whisper voices IF you have to talk, but we'd prefer that you don't. Thank you!! #houseofthelord"

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: May 17th, 2023, 12:08 pm
mudflap wrote: May 17th, 2023, 11:47 am I'm sorry, I just don't see the problem with having poor people AND temples at the same time. Some folks who are poor will never be rich, due to their poor attitudes. You can throw millions at them, and they'll remain poor - they'll gamble it away, or use it for drugs, or whores, or whatever - you just can't "fix" everyone - it was obvious to the Savior, but apparently not to Judas.

The problem isn't having people who are intentionally lazy/poor. The problem is a church that grinds the face of the poor (the truly righteous) and does it through tyrannical authoritarianism. You are paying for your salvation, even if you are living below the poverty level and doing all you can to provide for your family. This is wrong.

Correct temple worship is part of the gospel equation, not what we have today.

There is truth in the endowment, but fractions of it. I have very strong opinions about how they've distorted truth. I've literally left the church to keep the baby, Christ's teachings and doctrine. That's how bad the temple has become an idol and false worship.
ok, I agree. thanks for clarifying!

IMO, Tithe should be the biblical, Abraham method, which was 10% of his increase, as the JST shows...., not "income" as they currently define it.

Lineman1012
captain of 100

Post by Lineman1012 »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: May 17th, 2023, 12:46 pm
Lineman1012 wrote: May 17th, 2023, 12:27 pm

Where the scriptures teach to avoid the appearance of evil, the church also subconsciously teaches the "appearance of righteousness."
LDS INC is following in the footsteps of the Jews. When it came to sacrifices the Jews came to believe that the sacrifices were the thing that gave salvation - LDS INC has come to believe the temple is what brings salvation/exaltation and have come to worship the building itself, even to the point of making the building perfect at all costs. (I've been involved with the church building program for many years and have seen contractors run out of business by the whims of a 70 that was passing by. It's as if the "can't lead you stay" doctrine runs all the way down to the 70s and it has gone to everyone's head. So much for being a humble people!)

The focus of "Temple Standard" pushed by the same guys who create shell accounts to hide money is soooo absurd it would be laughable if it wasn't so criminal!

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

mudflap wrote: May 17th, 2023, 1:22 pm IMO, Tithe should be the biblical, Abraham method, which was 10% of his increase, as the JST shows...., not "income" as they currently define it.
That little clarification has massive ramifications.

TwochurchesOnly
captain of 1,000

Post by TwochurchesOnly »

InfoWarrior82 wrote: May 17th, 2023, 12:30 pm
Subcomandante wrote: May 16th, 2023, 3:06 pm I think those new temples are quite cool.

There's been an acceleration in temple building because they are necessary to fulfill the work quicker. Brigham Young spoke of thousands of temples in the Millennium.
Where's the commandment from the Lord to build all these temples? I only know of the commandment to build the Kirtland, nauvoo, far west, and independence temples.

Is it time to change article of faith #10?
There is no command/ teaching for building/attending, "temple work" in BoM that applies to us in these last days -
Christ was really clear to outline His gospel/doctrine and requirements:
Faith Repentance baptism Holy Ghost
He was also very clear to declare that anything added to or taken away from it cometh of evil
Sure - we need to be Sealed
We can be sealed to Christ
Or to the devil

Meanwhile, lds temples" are an enormously expensive, colossal,
generationally deceptive, false doctrine perpetuating, poor oppressing, waste of time distraction !
we've been warned about fine sanctuaries and neglecting the poor.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

TwochurchesOnly wrote: May 17th, 2023, 1:46 pm There is no command/ teaching for building/attending, "temple work" in BoM that applies to us in these last days -
Christ was really clear to outline His gospel/doctrine and requirements:
Faith Repentance baptism Holy Ghost
He was also very clear to declare that anything added to or taken away from it cometh of evil
Sure - we need to be Sealed
We can be sealed to Christ
Or to the devil

Meanwhile, lds temples" are an enormously expensive, colossal,
generationally deceptive, false doctrine perpetuating, poor oppressing, waste of time distraction !
we've been warned about fine sanctuaries and neglecting the poor.
Yet there are records that teach higher laws and ordinances beyond the BoM... I love the principles outlined in the Nemenhah Record. The entire endowment was taught to their children from the time they were young. Nothing in the teachings bothers me like the LDS org rendition/tradition. It even preaches that the Nephites had a similar temple experience to what they had. Nephi did build temples, Mormon just didn't include their instruction as part of his condensed writings.

Ymarsakar
captain of 1,000

Post by Ymarsakar »

madvin wrote: May 17th, 2023, 11:33 am
DNA activations change certain functions around.

viewtopic.php?p=1385854#p1385854

Such as this one

Arm Chair Quarterback
captain of 1,000

Post by Arm Chair Quarterback »

mudflap wrote: May 17th, 2023, 11:47 am
But no, the true pattern is not to take care of everyone first and then build a temple. The true pattern is sacrifice. Jesus said, "the poor you always have among you".
I strongly believe this verse has been used to justify class distinction and the glorification of idols and to abuse the poor. It's the same scripture the LDS org uses to justify their fine sanctuaries.
I'm sorry, I just don't see the problem with having poor people AND temples at the same time. Some folks who are poor will never be rich, due to their poor attitudes. You can throw millions at them, and they'll remain poor - they'll gamble it away, or use it for drugs, or whores, or whatever - you just can't "fix" everyone - it was obvious to the Savior, but apparently not to Judas.

Temples are definitely part of the equation of the true Gospel, until Jesus says they aren't. Sort of like this (John 4: 19-26):

19 “Sir,” the woman said, “I can see that you are a prophet.

20 Our ancestors worshiped on this mountain (where a temple was built in the Northern Kingdom and destroyed 100 years before Christ https://www.encyclopedia.com/religion/e ... ples-bible), but you Jews claim that the place where we must worship is in Jerusalem (on Mount Moriah at the temple).”

21 “Woman,” Jesus replied, “believe me, a time is coming when you will worship the Father neither on this mountain nor in Jerusalem.

22 You Samaritans worship what you do not know; we worship what we do know, for salvation is from the Jews.

23 Yet a time is coming and has now come when the true worshipers will worship the Father in the Spirit and in truth, for they are the kind of worshipers the Father seeks.

24 God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in the Spirit and in truth.”

25 The woman said, “I know that Messiah” (called Christ) “is coming. When he comes, he will explain everything to us.”

26 Then Jesus declared, “I, the one speaking to you—I am he.”

And then there's that problem of the Masonic rites being nearly identical to the LDS temple rites. At what point when secret societies become the same as temple worship do people say, hold on there's something not right here.

p8riot
captain of 100

Post by p8riot »

So much for only using the finest materials and craftsmanship for "The House of the Lord"! We don't need to sacrifice time and money to ensure only the best for the Lord, we gotta knock em out quick so we can keep announcing a half-dozen new ones each conference.

Isaiah 5:18 Woe to those who draw iniquity with cords of vanity,
And sin as if with a cart rope;
19 That say, “Let Him make speed and hasten His work,
That we may see it;
And let the counsel of the Holy One of Israel draw near and come,
That we may know it.”
Last edited by p8riot on May 19th, 2023, 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JK4Woods
captain of 1,000

Post by JK4Woods »

Not one of these “modular” or “pre-fab” temples will last even one tenth into the millennium… sorry folks, gotta be a solid structure built on rock foundation to last the millennium.

So obviously the church is being stingy with spending the earnings from it’s humongous stock portfolio….

A light weight temple, shot together with pneumatic staple guns, just shows what church HQ feels about the Helena Montana saints…

…Probably because they have far exceeded the budget by a hundred million dollars plus, the three hundred million to seismically protect the Salt Lake temple, even tho Brigham Young said it’d last the millennium.

Freaking idiots at church real estate department can’t even unload church properties in the seedy parts of town when the natural evolution of society and growth pushes families out to the ‘burbs where better quality of life is…

No hope for religious zealots trying to be businesslike running a Telestial corporation, whose product is religion…

Good & Global
captain of 1,000

Post by Good & Global »

JK4Woods wrote: May 17th, 2023, 9:34 pm Not one of these “modular” or “pre-fab” temples will last even one tenth into the millennium… sorry folks, gotta be a solid structure built on rock foundation to last the millennium.
Correct me if wrong but I thought all the temples were destroyed or damaged after Christ died.

is there any reason to think this won't happen again? I mean besides spending billions on them of course.

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

JK4Woods wrote: May 17th, 2023, 9:34 pm Not one of these “modular” or “pre-fab” temples will last even one tenth into the millennium… sorry folks, gotta be a solid structure built on rock foundation to last the millennium.

So obviously the church is being stingy with spending the earnings from it’s humongous stock portfolio….

A light weight temple, shot together with pneumatic staple guns, just shows what church HQ feels about the Helena Montana saints…

…Probably because they have far exceeded the budget by a hundred million dollars plus, the three hundred million to seismically protect the Salt Lake temple, even tho Brigham Young said it’d last the millennium.

Freaking idiots at church real estate department can’t even unload church properties in the seedy parts of town when the natural evolution of society and growth pushes families out to the ‘burbs where better quality of life is…

No hope for religious zealots trying to be businesslike running a Telestial corporation, whose product is religion…
my cabin will probably outlast a modular temple, just saying.... ;)

Wolfwoman
captain of 1,000

Post by Wolfwoman »

mudflap wrote: May 17th, 2023, 11:47 am

There is so much truth in this.
In Phoenix there is a homeless encampment with approx. 1,000 homeless persons. A lawsuit and judgment said the city needed to clear the area and break up the encampment. But most of the homeless in the area don’t want any assistance at all. They want to keep enjoying their life of drugs and homelessness. *shrug* It’s weird. How do you have no poor among you when some of them want to remain poor? I have no idea. It takes more knowledge than I have. I guess it’s like the hymn says, God will force no man to Heaven.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Wolfwoman wrote: May 18th, 2023, 11:59 am How do you have no poor among you when some of them want to remain poor? I have no idea.
Laziness and idolatry are not Zion-like attributes. Hence they will not be part of Zion. I think there's this idea that *everyone* will be part of Zion, that is not true.