Used to be a Mormon

Tell us about yourself...
varnaj42
captain of 100

Used to be a Mormon

Post by varnaj42 »

It was in 1973 that I joined the church. My children were small then, the eldest was seven. After a few years I found that I was beginning to have a problem with the rules and (almost) forced social involvements such as the "callings" that were given me. I was afraid to decline.

Regarding rules the first thing that comes to mind is coffee. But my Mormon friends drink hot chocolate freely. Chocolate (cocoa beans) have just as much caffeine as coffee beans do. I began to realize that back in the 1840s (or so) this was not generally known. So... it seemed we were being handed rules that were no more than opinions by others who lived before we did.

I should have stayed with the church. My kids, especially, would have benefited enormously. However I would have had to keep my hidden opinions to myself. Is this the proper way for a priest to present himself to the world? No. It is not.

So I asked to be released from the church.

I'm still here and I still find great social value in what the church teaches. My main interest is the historical aspects. I really do believe that groups of people did, in fact, travel to the Americas long ago. I really do believe that the plates (some say golden others say brass) do exist. This is simply because long ago inscribing in durable metal plates was a commonly accepted method for preserving important documents. Nothing hard to believe about that.

But speaking of history I also believe that our Earth has a history that includes at least three episodes of human history, one before the other and that we, now, are in the fourth of these. I am unwilling to accept that I cannot believe a thing just because it is not included in the body of church literature. I find and did find that to remain a Mormon I would have to suppress, keep hidden, my additional beliefs. This is not right. I should not have to hide things.

Can a man be half a Mormon? I wonder. Jesus made (low alcohol table) wine once. This is well known. In those days everyone drank table (low alcohol) wine. Only a fool would argue this. But we are told that all alcohol is taboo? There was a time when water was dangerous to drink. This is the reason beers were so common. The process of fermenting kills off harmful bacteria. This is the reason wine and beer was so common in history. They were safe to drink. But... Mormons certainly are correct in suggesting that we should avoid alcohol. Look at all the damage overuse of it has caused in the world. But to officially say "you cannot" is not easy to swallow. Grown men and women should not be dictated to as though they were children.

The reason I left the church is because I think too much. I question everything. I take nothing on it's face. I have my own mind. Even so, after a half century away from the church here I am. Strange huh?

Why am I here? I'm curious. Are my beliefs so drastic that they would prevent me once again joining the church?

Thanks for the opportunity to participate.

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Used to be a Mormon

Post by Cruiserdude »

varnaj42 wrote: ↑May 11th, 2023, 7:19 pm It was in 1973 that I joined the church. My children were small then, the eldest was seven. After a few years I found that I was beginning to have a problem with the rules and (almost) forced social involvements such as the "callings" that were given me. I was afraid to decline.

Regarding rules the first thing that comes to mind is coffee. But my Mormon friends drink hot chocolate freely. Chocolate (cocoa beans) have just as much caffeine as coffee beans do. I began to realize that back in the 1840s (or so) this was not generally known. So... it seemed we were being handed rules that were no more than opinions by others who lived before we did.

I should have stayed with the church. My kids, especially, would have benefited enormously. However I would have had to keep my hidden opinions to myself. Is this the proper way for a priest to present himself to the world? No. It is not.

I'm still here and I still find great social value in what the church teaches. My main interest is the historical aspects. I really do believe that groups of people did, in fact, travel to the Americas long ago. I really do believe that the plates (some say golden others say brass) do exist. This is simply because long ago inscribing in durable metal plates was a commonly accepted method for preserving important documents. Nothing hard to believe about that.

But speaking of history I also believe that our Earth has a history that includes at least three episodes of human history, one before the other and that we, now, are in the fourth of these. I am unwilling to accept that I cannot believe a thing just because it is not included in the body of church literature. I find and did find that to remain a Mormon I would have to suppress, keep hidden, my additional beliefs. This is not right. I should not have to hide things.

Can a man be half a Mormon? I wonder. Jesus made (low alcohol table) wine once. This is well known. In those days everyone drank table (low alcohol) wine. Only a fool would argue this. But we are told that all alcohol is taboo? There was a time when water was dangerous to drink. This is the reason beers were so common. The process of fermenting kills off harmful bacteria. This is the reason wine and beer was so common in history. They were safe to drink. But... Mormons certainly are correct in suggesting that we should avoid alcohol. Look at all the damage overuse of it has caused in the world. But to officially say "you cannot" is not easy to swallow. Grown men and women should not be dictated to as though they were children.

The reason I left the church is because I think too much. I question everything. I take nothing on it's face. I have my own mind. Even so, after a half century away from the church here I am. Strange huh?

Why am I here? I'm curious. Are my beliefs so drastic that they would prevent me once again joining the church?

Welcome welcome, I think you'll find most around here are open minded to other perspectives on the church as well as on life. πŸ‘πŸ‘

FrankOne
captain of 1,000

Post by FrankOne »

welcome ,
Don't hesitate to chime in on threads, we could use another variable to make sense of things.

I find this site quite hospitable even in the arguments, everyone is mature enough to disagree on one thread and agree on the next.

varnaj42
captain of 100

Post by varnaj42 »

FrankOne wrote: ↑May 11th, 2023, 8:49 pm welcome ,
Don't hesitate to chime in on threads, we could use another variable to make sense of things.

I find this site quite hospitable even in the arguments, everyone is mature enough to disagree on one thread and agree on the next.

I find that refreshing. I was a member on another Mormon forum. I'm beginning to wonder if it was for real. It, as so many forums are, was dominated by a handful of posters who were also moderators who were aggressive in their attempts to elevate their opinions above all others. Sensing this I left. A forum should not be the playground for a couple of special people who think they have the right to prevail over others.

I expect more from the typical Mormon.

Well here's hoping some good will result from my involvement here.
Last edited by varnaj42 on May 12th, 2023, 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Momma J
captain of 1,000

Post by Momma J »

Welcome!

Those who chose not to question, shut off a portion of their opportunities to grow. I too believe that aspects of the WoW are incorrect and are rules created by men. There are some health benefits and some heavy handed "rules" which I chose to ignore.

I do not drink alcohol because I do not enjoy the taste. I do drink coffee after studying, in-depth, the health benefits especially as they pertain to Parkinson's. As with all things, moderation is the key.

If we seek answers through prayer, we grasp a better understanding.... than when we blindly follow men (who may have less than honorable reasons for setting rules.... ahem.... vaxxes)

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Personally speaking I find hot chocolate has given me fewer health issues than coffee. I don't think it's just the caffeine.

Jashon
captain of 100

Post by Jashon »

Sounds like beer's okay:
(Doctrine and Covenants 89:17)
and barley for all useful animals, and for mild drinks, as also other grain.
And this means hard liquor, not hot temperature drinks; everyone knows not to drink things that are really hot – no prohibition on that needed:
(Doctrine and Covenants 89:9)
hot drinks are not for the body or belly.
And grain used to be okay, 200 years ago, but now it's heavily modified, causing bad gut effects. And when we buy store-bought bread, we get noxious seed oils mixed in: soybean oil or rapeseed oil (canola) or some other nasty "heart-healthy" oil [that concocted descriptor is a bald-faced lie pushed by captured institutions and individuals]. These oils have high, ultimately toxic levels of linoleic acid, and they are finished in factories by hexane, etc.

varnaj42
captain of 100

Post by varnaj42 »

Momma J wrote: ↑May 12th, 2023, 5:08 am Welcome!

Those who chose not to question, shut off a portion of their opportunities to grow. I too believe that aspects of the WoW are incorrect and are rules created by men. There are some health benefits and some heavy handed "rules" which I chose to ignore.

I do not drink alcohol because I do not enjoy the taste. I do drink coffee after studying, in-depth, the health benefits especially as they pertain to Parkinson's. As with all things, moderation is the key.

If we seek answers through prayer, we grasp a better understanding.... than when we blindly follow men (who may have less than honorable reasons for setting rules.... ahem.... vaxxes)

Each man and woman has equal access to the Father. It is true that belonging to a group can be comforting, rewarding, helpful etc.... None such are really necessary. We do so, I think, for fraternity. I am reminded of the pioneering days in our country. Groups of like minded people stuck together and thus prevailed. Religions are the same way.

If I remember correctly the LDS admonishment is against "hot drinks". How does this mean coffee while leaving teas and chocolate drinks alone?

I'm in my eighties now. I've refused the covid19 jab more than once. Why am I not dead? I feel fine. What authorities don't tell us is that anyone, vaxxed or not, can carry and spread the virus. The purpose of a vaccine is to help to prevent the individual from getting sick from the virus, not to carry it in the first place. Hundreds of years ago Europe fought it's way through severe pandemics. Slowly the people developed natural immunity. But this does not mean they weren't carriers. When the Spanish went to the new world millions of native Americans died. We are being misled about the purpose of vaccinations. This is reason enough to not trust authority.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

varnaj42 wrote: ↑May 11th, 2023, 7:19 pm I should have stayed with the church. My kids, especially, would have benefited enormously. However I would have had to keep my hidden opinions to myself. Is this the proper way for a priest to present himself to the world? No. It is not.
I've been pondering this statement since you posted it. While I believe there are aspects of the church that are nice (some social functions), particularly the BoM, what things could your children not benefit from via personal discipleship to Christ as taught in a loving home environment?

Our family has strived to take all the good we can from the LDS org and then follow what we've learned through the scriptures and by the Spirit. This seems to be a pretty good balance for us, but it certainly comes with a lot of scorn from church and family members. We just love them and do what God has led us to feel and believe.

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

Welcome to LDSFF.

varnaj42
captain of 100

Post by varnaj42 »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: ↑May 12th, 2023, 6:24 am
varnaj42 wrote: ↑May 11th, 2023, 7:19 pm I should have stayed with the church. My kids, especially, would have benefited enormously. However I would have had to keep my hidden opinions to myself. Is this the proper way for a priest to present himself to the world? No. It is not.
I've been pondering this statement since you posted it. While I believe there are aspects of the church that are nice (some social functions), particularly the BoM, what things could your children not benefit from via personal discipleship to Christ as taught in a loving home environment?

Our family has strived to take all the good we can from the LDS org and then follow what we've learned through the scriptures and by the Spirit. This seems to be a pretty good balance for us, but it certainly comes with a lot of scorn from church and family members. We just love them and do what God has led us to feel and believe.

The benefits for a family in participating with others in the same church are realized through the discipline which is imposed and/or is voluntarily accepted by all members of the family. None of us are so strong, no matter what we may claim, that we are able to go it alone through life. For the kids? Specifically through their ability to associate with other Mormon kids. Temptations are always there of course but a parent may be more assured that they will be fewer. This is nothing to do with Jesus. It's just common sense.

But one cannot, as I said, be a Sunday Mormon. It's 24/7 or nothing. It's a way of life that cannot be found by simply saying "Jesus is my best bud". In truth Jesus is accessible to us all regardless of religion or none.

There are certain Temple ordinances that I was not entirely comfortable with either but those are personal. I will add here in a semi-playful way that I hate wearing suits and having to shake hands all the time. I don't even own a suit. But that's nothing to do with anything. I'm a blue collar man.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

varnaj42 wrote: ↑May 12th, 2023, 2:18 pm The benefits for a family in participating with others in the same church are realized through the discipline which is imposed and/or is voluntarily accepted by all members of the family. None of us are so strong, no matter what we may claim, that we are able to go it alone through life. For the kids? Specifically through their ability to associate with other Mormon kids. Temptations are always there of course but a parent may be more assured that they will be fewer. This is nothing to do with Jesus. It's just common sense.

But one cannot, as I said, be a Sunday Mormon. It's 24/7 or nothing. It's a way of life that cannot be found by simply saying "Jesus is my best bud". In truth Jesus is accessible to us all regardless of religion or none.

There are certain Temple ordinances that I was not entirely comfortable with either but those are personal. I will add here in a semi-playful way that I hate wearing suits and having to shake hands all the time. I don't even own a suit. But that's nothing to do with anything. I'm a blue collar man.
IMO "disciple" is a personal thing. If you need a church for encouragement.... well, I guess whatever floats your boat. I've found that the church was like training wheels, with a lot of guilt if you didn't do all the right things. Once you step outside of that box and voluntarily love Christ and His teachings, it opens up an entirely different paradigm in your life, knowing that you don't need a man to rubber-stamp your worthiness before God.

My children have found a wonderful network of friends. Some have higher standards than others, but my kids know the gospel themselves. We have dozens and dozens of good Christian friends outside of the LDS construct/org.

I would say that being a disciple of Christ can be 27/7, but the intention needs to be there. We all fall short now and again, but that's the beauty of Christ's sacrifice on our behalf.

As far as the temple, yeah, that's a big topic. I've learned much about it and think we have fallen a very far distance from truth. Like, lightyears away. It honestly breaks my heart to know what we were given, and what we've done with it. The temple could be such a beautiful place (and I'm not talking about the facade).

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

varnaj42 wrote: ↑May 11th, 2023, 7:19 pm It was in 1973 that I joined the church. My children were small then, the eldest was seven. After a few years I found that I was beginning to have a problem with the rules and (almost) forced social involvements such as the "callings" that were given me. I was afraid to decline.

Just a quick point of order.
Hot chocolate has much less caffeine than coffee. It's negligible.
Also, the presence of caffeine was never the reason for the coffee restriction.

solonan
captain of 100

Post by solonan »

I used to drink energy drinks when traveling. Now I drink a cup of coffee. Somehow I feel like it's healthier than say monsters?!πŸ˜‚. But then, maybe I am lying to myself.

TheDuke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by TheDuke »

I disagree with the thought that you have to accept all LDS doctrine as mentioned, i.e. history of the world. You can believe anything you like. You may find limits on local people's acceptance, and if something is deemed negative, keep it quiet. Why would you consider it half Mormon? No two Mormons believe the same thing.

I don't see differences in doctrine as an issue, never have. Differences in leadership qualities, etc... maybe, but I've never been one to push a narrative (not since 1983 anyway), and never felt less than those that tote the line.

varnaj42
captain of 100

Post by varnaj42 »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: ↑May 12th, 2023, 2:28 pm
varnaj42 wrote: ↑May 12th, 2023, 2:18 pm The benefits for a family in participating with others in the same church are realized through the discipline which is imposed and/or is voluntarily accepted by all members of the family. None of us are so strong, no matter what we may claim, that we are able to go it alone through life. For the kids? Specifically through their ability to associate with other Mormon kids. Temptations are always there of course but a parent may be more assured that they will be fewer. This is nothing to do with Jesus. It's just common sense.

IMO "disciple" is a personal thing. If you need a church for encouragement.... well, I guess whatever floats your boat. I've found that the church was like training wheels, with a lot of guilt if you didn't do all the right things. Once you step outside of that box and voluntarily love Christ and His teachings, it opens up an entirely different paradigm in your life, knowing that you don't need a man to rubber-stamp your worthiness before God.

My children have found a wonderful network of friends. Some have higher standards than others, but my kids know the gospel themselves. We have dozens and dozens of good Christian friends outside of the LDS construct/org.

I would say that being a disciple of Christ can be 27/7, but the intention needs to be there. We all fall short now and again, but that's the beauty of Christ's sacrifice on our behalf.

As far as the temple, yeah, that's a big topic. I've learned much about it and think we have fallen a very far distance from truth. Like, lightyears away. It honestly breaks my heart to know what we were given, and what we've done with it. The temple could be such a beautiful place (and I'm not talking about the facade).
It was after I began to seriously study the essential spirituality of God's created universe and all that it consists of that I began to realize the role of religions i life. Religions are of physical worlds like our Earth only. When we pass back into the subtle worlds they are no where to be found. The reason for this is not difficult to understand either. On Earth we experience the highest degree of divisiveness. Here the forces of evil are powerful. In the spiritual worlds though they are easy to avoid. God designed physical worlds specifically to provide us all with the opportunity to meet and overcome evil. And in this religions play an important role.

varnaj42
captain of 100

Post by varnaj42 »

TheDuke wrote: ↑May 12th, 2023, 4:15 pm I disagree with the thought that you have to accept all LDS doctrine as mentioned, i.e. history of the world. You can believe anything you like. You may find limits on local people's acceptance, and if something is deemed negative, keep it quiet. Why would you consider it half Mormon? No two Mormons believe the same thing.

I don't see differences in doctrine as an issue, never have. Differences in leadership qualities, etc... maybe, but I've never been one to push a narrative (not since 1983 anyway), and never felt less than those that tote the line.
Sorry Duke, I don't agree with your position at all. The differences in Mormon practice are quite minimal. Some tithe and can thus be nominated for temple rites and some don't. There are so called Jack Mormons who ignore some rules too. In my experience with LDS though everyone is very close to the same regarding beliefs and practices.

TheDuke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by TheDuke »

varnaj42 wrote: ↑May 12th, 2023, 5:12 pm
TheDuke wrote: ↑May 12th, 2023, 4:15 pm I disagree with the thought that you have to accept all LDS doctrine as mentioned, i.e. history of the world. You can believe anything you like. You may find limits on local people's acceptance, and if something is deemed negative, keep it quiet. Why would you consider it half Mormon? No two Mormons believe the same thing.

Sorry Duke, I don't agree with your position at all. The differences in Mormon practice are quite minimal. Some tithe and can thus be nominated for temple rites and some don't. There are so called Jack Mormons who ignore some rules too. In my experience with LDS though everyone is very close to the same regarding beliefs and practices.
feel free to disagree. but I have vastly different doctrinal understandings and have been open and never been hasselled or felt half Mormon, EVER. Also, I know many LDS that are far off the path and never worried about it. I think if you feel bad, ok, but I wouldn't blame it on LDS leaders or local members, it must be a personal thing. Now on the FF there are folks that will say to make major disagreements public may out you, but I've never seen it personally. Not here, not my family in Utah, or NY, or WA, or Tx or Fl or NM or OH, or CA.

varnaj42
captain of 100

Post by varnaj42 »

TheDuke wrote: ↑May 12th, 2023, 5:35 pm

feel free to disagree. but I have vastly different doctrinal understandings and have been open and never been hasselled or felt half Mormon, EVER. Also, I know many LDS that are far off the path and never worried about it. I think if you feel bad, ok, but I wouldn't blame it on LDS leaders or local members, it must be a personal thing. Now on the FF there are folks that will say to make major disagreements public may out you, but I've never seen it personally. Not here, not my family in Utah, or NY, or WA, or Tx or Fl or NM or OH, or CA.
Do you always react this way to those who happen to have differing opinions? I am not trying to convince you of anything. You make it sound like when I disagree with you that I am disagreeing with the truth. Both our opinions result from differing live experiences. Relax...

The most important thing that I have learned in my 88 years is that truth is fluid. There are no absolutes but that these tend to dissolve as we learn more. He or she who realizes this can step back from the travails of the world and begin to see clearly.

Blessings to you...

TheDuke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by TheDuke »

varnaj42 wrote: ↑May 12th, 2023, 6:04 pm

Do you always react this way to those who happen to have differing opinions? I am not trying to convince you of anything. You make it sound like when I disagree with you that I am disagreeing with the truth. Both our opinions result from differing live experiences. Relax...

The most important thing that I have learned in my 88 years is that truth is fluid. There are no absolutes but that these tend to dissolve as we learn more. He or she who realizes this can step back from the travails of the world and begin to see clearly.

Blessings to you...
Yes actually, when you or someone make a claim the overlaps others, that is how I react. Generally I saw someone saying that if you don't follow the mainstream LDS you're a half Mormon and that just isn't a fact as none do. Second, you seemed to say that your problem was thinking too much. Here is what you said

...The reason I left the church is because I think too much. I question everything. I take nothing on it's face. I have my own mind.....

Sort of or directly states that "anyone who thinks too much" or "questions everything" will find it unacceptable. And my, friend I know what it means to question everything and think about everything. Perhaps you didn't mean it as a slight, but if you read your own words you will see how it can be taken that way.

Yes truth is fluid. Yes much of, if not all, of what we are taught is wrong, at least to some degree. And only a true fool would take it all on face value permanently. It is ok for a while, but there is no virtue in just believing and not deeply understanding. But to imply it means it isn't god's word, is a bit too much for me. But don't worry there are many here that love to hear how far off the church is.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

solonan wrote: ↑May 12th, 2023, 4:14 pm I used to drink energy drinks when traveling. Now I drink a cup of coffee. Somehow I feel like it's healthier than say monsters?!πŸ˜‚. But then, maybe I am lying to myself.
I think it is, but I would avoid both.

gradles21
captain of 1,000

Post by gradles21 »

I also used to be a Mormon, still am, but I used to too!

Ymarsakar
captain of 1,000

Post by Ymarsakar »

varnaj42 wrote: ↑May 12th, 2023, 6:04 pm

Blessings to you...
Oh this is light duke. When I started posting here, He started talking about why a non LDS person (like me) is here. Even though compared to the more active voices, I am actually LDS as in pro LDS.

Don't let it bother you.

Ymarsakar
captain of 1,000

Post by Ymarsakar »

varnaj42 wrote: ↑May 11th, 2023, 7:19 pm But speaking of history I also believe that our Earth has a history that includes at least three episodes of human history, one before the other and that we, now, are in the fourth of these.
Your belief is quite accurate or at least very close to such, that the Godhead must have sent you an inspired download somehow.

Ymarsakar
captain of 1,000

Post by Ymarsakar »

varnaj42 wrote: ↑May 11th, 2023, 9:24 pm
FrankOne wrote: ↑May 11th, 2023, 8:49 pm welcome ,

I find that refreshing. I was a member on another Mormon forum. I'm beginning to wonder if it was for real. It, as so many forums are, was dominated by a handful of posters who were also moderators who were aggressive in their attempts to elevate their opinions above all others. Sensing this I left. A forum should not be the playground for a couple of special people who think they have the right to prevail over others.

I expect more from the typical Mormon.

Well here's hoping some good will result from my involvement here.
Welcome cousin. Sounds like you are similar to me in that sense with internet forums. Except what I do is to close them down. There's been 2 now.

Before i obtained my current authority and level, I was at fantasy essentials and one of mods put me on a 3 day ban because he said "I needed time to cool off" for disagreeing with him about Lincoln and the War of Northern Aggression. This was a Terry Goodkind fan site at the time.

I got so mad about it that I stopped posting, and only told someone the truth in a pm. When I told him it was the thread about the civil war that got be banned and then I went inactive, he got angry too.

After I obtained my level, I began simply breaking the karma and authorities of these petty wannabe gods. They become strangely stupid and crazy when they start becoming aware of me and what I am. To the point where they stop noticing what they are putting in their private messages and explanations. I simply disclose it to the forum public, and then the collapse began.

I used to have a long memory and held a lot of vendettas. Good thing I've forgotten most of it now... good for mortals that is.