Getting laid off in a week

This is the place where you can discuss things completely Off Topic.
mes5464
Level 34 Illuminated

Getting laid off in a week

Post by mes5464 »

I was told Monday I'm getting laid off by the end of next week.

I'm living on 13 acres and would love someway to make a living from this land. Any suggestions?

Also, looking for work if anyone knows someone needing a programmer.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/smithmarion/

By the way, LinkedIn is getting really woke!

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Getting laid off in a week

Post by JohnnyL »

I know of people who build weird houses/ teepees/ yurts, or hold retreats (all kinds of types), etc., and rent it out.

I used to run across a FB ad that was about how to do that. I'll see if I can find the link, or the ad again.

Lots of solar companies all over, maybe target them?

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Build tiny homes, rent tiny homes, and/or turn the entire property into a permaculture/food forest and raise chickens. Bring in like-minded, trustworthy family or friends to "quicken" the land.

Atrasado
captain of 1,000

Post by Atrasado »

From your LinkedIn it looks like you live in the Treasure Valley. What part?

One idea I've read about is specialized agriculture like raising saffron or goji berries. I'm not sure how much that takes.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

I've heard of small farms being able to turn $50-60K profit from selling high-demand fruits and produce. It's a lot of work, but is doable if you make the right connections to sell your produce.

LateOutOfBed
captain of 100

Post by LateOutOfBed »

Any background in 2D/3D Unity applications?

JuneBug12000
captain of 1,000

Post by JuneBug12000 »

The less you buy the less you need to earn.

We have friends who the wife works part time from home and they just have a few cows, chickens and a garden. They had pigs but they are in the freezer now 😉 They butcher their own animals. Learned everything hands on by themselves one step at a time the last 10 years.

They spend less than $1000 a month -total- on everything for their family of 7 and animals. They only have 5 acres.

We do something similar. We aren't as far along as them, but it is more doable than people think.

Sunain
captain of 1,000

Post by Sunain »

Good luck with the job hunt. The tech industry has been rough these past few months.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

JuneBug12000 wrote: April 19th, 2023, 2:30 pm The less you buy the less you need to earn.
The problem with self-sufficiency is the taxman.

JuneBug12000
captain of 1,000

Post by JuneBug12000 »

As a side note my husband just got a job again after 9 months with only 1 offer we couldn't take.

The job market is crazy right now. Lots of interviews but little hiring. All the jobs he applied for are still posted and he's and engineer with 20 years experience.

Things work out. We didn't lose our house. We paid all our bills and have a little left in savings. We ate up the majority of our food storage, but God provides in his own way and time.

Prayers for you.

JuneBug12000
captain of 1,000

Post by JuneBug12000 »

Niemand wrote: April 19th, 2023, 2:41 pm
JuneBug12000 wrote: April 19th, 2023, 2:30 pm The less you buy the less you need to earn.
Yes, the taxman still comes, but with no debt, food storage and some chickens our family of 10 made it 9 months.

The Lord provides.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

JuneBug12000 wrote: April 19th, 2023, 2:46 pm
Yes, the taxman still comes, but with no debt, food storage and some chickens our family of 10 made it 9 months.

The Lord provides.
There are some places I could get free (i.e. no financial cost to me) food and water, and even where I lived I worked out I could cut off my electricity, gas and water, and still survive, but the one bill I have to pay is council tax (local government taxes). They go after you if you're a week or two late.

JK4Woods
captain of 1,000

Post by JK4Woods »

Yeah… funny how we in this last century have accepted that if we don’t pay taxes, the county/city can seize our property and sell it on the courthouse steps.

Used to be, back in the founding, no one could take your property. It was yours, forever. Unless you sold it or (horrors of horrors) put it under mortgage to get cash for something else.

Somewhere along the way, voters decided the county should be allowed to levy a tax on every property owner; based on what it was worth.

For the “public good” they said, “for better schools” they said, to pave the city streets, put in a sewer, street lights, etc. Etc.

Now, no one can wade thru the city/county budget, and figure out all the permanent entitlements they have created over the last hundred years…

We need a new snow plow, more cops, less cops but more cameras, a sheriffs helicopter, and a Swat team while we’re at it.

Fund the schools, but have no say in curriculum or policy, or courses or manner of study.

Every city ought to have a farm, or mine, or something, where they use jailbirds for labor, and the profit funds the budget. Any extras ought to be annual items, agreed upon by vote. With a stipulation that the landowner citizens get to vote on every item in the budget, individually.

Every tax needs an expiration. Two years, three, five. Whatever to stop the perpetual collection of money.

Fred
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fred »

JK4Woods wrote: April 19th, 2023, 4:29 pm

Yeah… funny how we in this last century have accepted that if we don’t pay taxes, the county/city can seize our property and sell it on the courthouse steps.

Used to be, back in the founding, no one could take your property. It was yours, forever. Unless you sold it or (horrors of horrors) put it under mortgage to get cash for something else.

Somewhere along the way, voters decided the county should be allowed to levy a tax on every property owner; based on what it was worth.

For the “public good” they said, “for better schools” they said, to pave the city streets, put in a sewer, street lights, etc. Etc.

Now, no one can wade thru the city/county budget, and figure out all the permanent entitlements they have created over the last hundred years…

We need a new snow plow, more cops, less cops but more cameras, a sheriffs helicopter, and a Swat team while we’re at it.

Fund the schools, but have no say in curriculum or policy, or courses or manner of study.

Every city ought to have a farm, or mine, or something, where they use jailbirds for labor, and the profit funds the budget. Any extras ought to be annual items, agreed upon by vote. With a stipulation that the landowner citizens get to vote on every item in the budget, individually.

Every tax needs an expiration. Two years, three, five. Whatever to stop the perpetual collection of money.
During the depression, in Star Valley Wyoming, ranchers surrounded the land for sale with guns. The sheriff auctioned the land. He was told that if anyone beside the original owner ended up with the land, he no longer lived. The auctions went as provided by law and the owner got his land back.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

JK4Woods wrote: April 19th, 2023, 4:29 pm

It would be great if it was just for the purposes you mention. Sadly, it's more about bloat. Someone pointed out to me the reason that our local council is so keen to get a monthly payment is because they themselves lend out that money to gain interest. They use it to line their pockets, destroy car access across our city etc.

Our local council spends a lot of money on free tampons and sanitary pads. I'm actually not against this idea, in the sense that I know many women and girls have to use them in emergency situations, may have money shortages etc etc. The only thing is that they're stocking way more than are being used. I can just go into one of my local libraries or community centres and grab a handful. No doubt in some schools, the girls are chucking them around the classroom for fun. I did score one point though. Some wokester in our local library put these women's products into the gents. I moved them into the ladies' (they're both single rooms). They've never been put back in there. This is my simple "get stuffed" message to all the trans flags and intersectional stuff they've put into our local libraries. Men don't need them, women do.

Moss Man
captain of 100

Post by Moss Man »

mes5464 wrote: April 19th, 2023, 12:20 pm I was told Monday I'm getting laid off by the end of next week.
Create a profile on Upwork and try freelancing.
Transition to building smart contracts by learning Solidity (Ethereum) or Rust (COSMOS, Solana)
Create front ends in the Web3 space.
Learn to create your own cryptocurrency and sell it to raise money for a subscription farm. For every token someone buys, they can redeem it for one pound of potatoes (or something like that). Now you've created a microeconomy. That token will always be good for one pound of potatoes which means it can be sold or traded around.

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Cruiserdude »

mes5464 wrote: April 19th, 2023, 12:20 pm I was told Monday I'm getting laid off by the end of next week.

I'm living on 13 acres and would love someway to make a living from this land. Any suggestions?

Sorry to hear it, we'll pray for you hermano 🙏

cyclOps
captain of 1,000

Post by cyclOps »

We have friends who the wife works part time from home and they just have a few cows, chickens and a garden. They had pigs but they are in the freezer now 😉 They butcher their own animals. Learned everything hands on by themselves one step at a time the last 10 years.

They spend less than $1000 a month -total- on everything for their family of 7 and animals. They only have 5 acres.

We do something similar. We aren't as far along as them, but it is more doable than people think.
We’re moving in the next month or two to Missouri. We’ll have 5 acres and no mortgage with a little bit of money left over after the sale of our current home. That’s our goal is to have a small homestead and live a simple life. I’m quitting my current career and have no job lined up.

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Cruiserdude »

cyclOps wrote: April 19th, 2023, 5:51 pm

We’re moving in the next month or two to Missouri. We’ll have 5 acres and no mortgage with a little bit of money left over after the sale of our current home. That’s our goal is to have a small homestead and live a simple life. I’m quitting my current career and have no job lined up.
I want to live by people like you, do you know if other folks are like that out there where you're going?

cyclOps
captain of 1,000

Post by cyclOps »

Cruiserdude wrote: April 19th, 2023, 5:54 pm

I want to live by people like you, do you know if other folks are like that out there where you're going?
Well thanks! It’s a pretty rural area so I would assume so, but I don’t know the area that well yet.

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Cruiserdude »

cyclOps wrote: April 19th, 2023, 5:56 pm
Cruiserdude wrote: April 19th, 2023, 5:54 pm

Well thanks! It’s a pretty rural area so I would assume so, but I don’t know the area that well yet.
I didn't mean that weird, lol....There's got to be communities of folks that kind of all have that priority of living that simple life like you describe.
As a group or community, it's muuuuuch easier to do with all the combined skills, assets, etc

Fred
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fred »

I don't know what the solar competition is like where you live, but it is pretty easy to double your money on solar panels. You don't have to install them. Just get $2 back for every $1 you put in.

Depending on brand and wattage, a pallet will cost around $4500 for brand new panels with 20 year warranty. A while back there were 300 watt Canadian brand that were reconditioned from a solar farm going for $125 in quantities of one. Triple your money on that.

If you are a center of influence, you can get paid $25 for every referral that becomes a member to buy wholesale vitamins and supplements at 85% off http://EasiestMoney.org

Around here backhoe operators are booked 3 months out at $125 an hour digging septic, roads, and landscaping.

My daughter is a coder. She never makes as much as a man, but she has never been out of work over a month. And then only because she quit for not liking the people.

LinkedIn sends me programmer job openings quite often. I'm not even a programmer. I built some sites for some people and they told LinkedIn I was a good coder so now I have a reputation I don't deserve. Anyway, I wish you the best and think that you won't be out of work very long.

Ymarsakar
captain of 1,000

Post by Ymarsakar »

I hear chicken eggs and honey are in high demand. Or they will be
Reluctant Watchman wrote: April 19th, 2023, 2:12 pm I've heard of small farms being able to turn $50-60K profit from selling high-demand fruits and produce. It's a lot of work, but is doable if you make the right connections to sell your produce.
There are companies like Organifi and Nutrachamps that need super fruits and other foods to make their powders. This is a big part of the awakening as people get off the normal state approved diets.

I like Carolina Reapers, but I realize that there isn't much demand for that. Most people will be near choking death if they tried to eat them or the hot sauces made out of them.

In the survival prep days some odd years ago, I heard of collective homestead where people grouped up and started to pool resources at certain spots. They would make an agreement to homestead in a certain place and collectively buy up the property there, acting like a corporation buying up real estate, in order to create a semi off grid community (for the apocalypse). Apocalypse hadn't arrived yet, but the preppers were preparing. These were not campers or vacationers, but people serious about the coming zombie or whatever apocalypse. Some were Mormons but religion was no barrier to entry. They had to require certain skillsets like Special Forces teams. Doctors, medicine, farmers, guardians, etc were priority skill sets.

On the topic of mini houses, I do hear of more people going on spiritual retreats away from cities, and they will often need to detox from wifi and other situations by living on this weird glass like mini house in the middle of a farm. Comes with a toilet that composts, so no complicated pipelines for waste management.

As inflation hits people and consumers, this lifestyle may actually become like a semi vacation for people as they try to separate themselves from the Matrix/Society. So long as they have internet, they can still manage some business/passive income.

I can't guarantee that every area will avoid or need off grid survival camps and homesteads. It is extremely chaotic and one region may be going into severe collapse while the next region over may be recovering super fast with additional technology/economics, thus not needing sustainable offgrid farming for more than say a few months or a few years.

Momma J
captain of 1,000

Post by Momma J »

Moss Man wrote: April 19th, 2023, 5:36 pm
Create a profile on Upwork and try freelancing.
Transition to building smart contracts by learning Solidity (Ethereum) or Rust (COSMOS, Solana)
Create front ends in the Web3 space.
Learn to create your own cryptocurrency and sell it to raise money for a subscription farm. For every token someone buys, they can redeem it for one pound of potatoes (or something like that). Now you've created a microeconomy. That token will always be good for one pound of potatoes which means it can be sold or traded around.
I really love this idea!

JuneBug12000
captain of 1,000

Post by JuneBug12000 »

JuneBug12000 wrote: April 19th, 2023, 2:44 pm As a side note my husband just got a job again after 9 months with only 1 offer we couldn't take.

The job market is crazy right now. Lots of interviews but little hiring. All the jobs he applied for are still posted and he's and engineer with 20 years experience.

Things work out. We didn't lose our house. We paid all our bills and have a little left in savings. We ate up the majority of our food storage, but God provides in his own way and time.

Prayers for you.
I feel like I should make note that he didn't get a job as an engineer, but a laborer.

We had one other layoff at the beginning of the 2008 recession but the experience and job hunting were totally different. Something has changed in the economy and we aren't the only ones seeing it.

We had multiple high paying jobs with 5+interviews all the way up to CEOs that said they would have offers by a certain day just ghost.

Something is weird.

Be prepared to do something different and be prepared to take a huge paycut.