Which English Bible Translation is Most Accurate?

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Which English Bible Translation is Most Accurate?

Post by Niemand »

ransomme wrote: March 28th, 2023, 3:40 pm
Shawn Henry wrote: March 28th, 2023, 12:45 pm The problem with anything other than the KJV is that you eliminate the option of doing key word searches. The KJV matches the BoM and the D&C.

If you do not seriously "feast upon the words", then continue searching beyond the KJV.

If you have not yet experienced the connection between the KJV and the words from the Savior himself in the D&C using key word searches you are missing out.
You don't read one Bible in isolation. If I do word searches, I use the BYU Citation Index, then cross-reference to a better Bible.
The trouble is that many of the recent Bibles have... problems.

If it's not the question of whether the translators have any Christian faith to begin with, there are also issues with what they are pushing, which phrases and verses are missing etc.

The usual excuse is based on supposed manuscript evidence but some researchers have found that not only do some translations render the same word very differently in different locations when it treads on modern sensibilities (especially regarding homosexuality), but that the omissions based on supposed manuscript evidence are not always justified.

They all claim to contain the latest scholarship. Sadly most universities are very hostile to genuine Christianity now.

ransomme
captain of 1,000

Post by ransomme »

Niemand wrote: March 28th, 2023, 3:46 pm
ransomme wrote: March 28th, 2023, 3:40 pm
Shawn Henry wrote: March 28th, 2023, 12:45 pm The problem with anything other than the KJV is that you eliminate the option of doing key word searches. The KJV matches the BoM and the D&C.

If you do not seriously "feast upon the words", then continue searching beyond the KJV.

If you have not yet experienced the connection between the KJV and the words from the Savior himself in the D&C using key word searches you are missing out.
You don't read one Bible in isolation. If I do word searches, I use the BYU Citation Index, then cross-reference to a better Bible.
The trouble is that many of the recent Bibles have... problems.

If it's not the question of whether the translators have any Christian faith to begin with, there are also issues with what they are pushing, which phrases and verses are missing etc.

The usual excuse is based on supposed manuscript evidence but some researchers have found that not only do some translations render the same word very differently in different locations when it treads on modern sensibilities (especially regarding homosexuality), but that the omissions based on supposed manuscript evidence are not always justified.

They all claim to contain the latest scholarship. Sadly most universities are very hostile to genuine Christianity now.
How good are your Hebrew and Greek? Use interlinear Bible tools.

https://bibeltext.com/interlinear/genesis/1.htm

TheChristian
captain of 100

Post by TheChristian »

creator wrote: March 27th, 2023, 5:21 pm
TheChristian wrote: March 27th, 2023, 5:06 pm Re: Which English Bible Translation is Most Accurate?

"The one that touchs your heart and uplifts your weary soul, that brings comfort and understanding and draws you closer to Jesus your Lord."
You're not wrong, but if we believe the original writers were inspired I think it also makes sense to seek out the version that is most accurate to the original.

Also, I have no problem with the KJV, which is what LDS Church uses.

I'm going to be looking for a New Testament audiobook to listen to, and I wanted to get input on what people think are good versions before looking into the available audio options. Ultimately I might just stick with the KJV.

I absolutely understand your desire for accuracy my friend, yet whom can tell you what is save it be the Spirit of God, as said the version that you feel uplifted by the greatest measure would be the one for you and that would only come by reading perchance a chapter out of each version.
I found the most refreshing and delightsome to both my mind and spirit, that gladdened my soul and caused me to feel closest to the Lord was the simple version of the New Testament for schools by J.B.Philips the Revised Version.
Yes he replaces certain words that would not be familiar to modern readers such as "Blessed" with the modern term "Happy", words like "Saints" with "Christians", he translated the ancient scriptures for young people in a time when in England it was the law for Christian services in Schools to be held every day also for the statutary rudimentary Christian education lessons in Schools, which I remember from my youth.
It is a flowing easy to read version, one which the modern reader will readily identify with, as said read perchance a chapter of said version and see if it is for you, for me it brings 2000 years ago as if it was only yesterday.
But each to their own my brother for the Lord has in these last days given us ample versions to investigate and to choose from.
Last edited by TheChristian on March 28th, 2023, 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

ransomme wrote: March 28th, 2023, 4:21 pm How good are your Hebrew and Greek? Use interlinear Bible tools.

Whose Hebrew and Greek though?

Even the Greek and Hebrew one finds on these webaites and in certain books has been through a selection process.

As I have stated above, the Hebrew and Greek you see may be questionable. There are questions as to whether the Masoretic Hebrew (especially vowels) has been altered and also over the selection of Greek manuscripts which have been used to produce standardised texts. The Samaritan Torah contains differences in the Hebrew, and the Septuagint also suggests different readings in the Hebrew it was translated from.

ransomme
captain of 1,000

Post by ransomme »

Niemand wrote: March 28th, 2023, 4:45 pm
ransomme wrote: March 28th, 2023, 4:21 pm How good are your Hebrew and Greek? Use interlinear Bible tools.

Whose Hebrew and Greek though?

Even the Greek and Hebrew one finds on these webaites and in certain books has been through a selection process.

As I have stated above, the Hebrew and Greek you see may be questionable. There are questions as to whether the Masoretic Hebrew (especially vowels) has been altered and also over the selection of Greek manuscripts which have been used to produce standardised texts. The Samaritan Torah contains differences in the Hebrew, and the Septuagint also suggests different readings in the Hebrew it was translated from.
How good are you in the Spirit?
😂

Shawn Henry
captain of 1,000

Post by Shawn Henry »

Niemand wrote: March 28th, 2023, 2:44 pm Cross-referencing yes, but some of the other versions use different terminology which has its advantages. For example, when I do such a keyword such on Bible Hub and Bible Gateway, it trawls through multiple versions, some of which may or may not agree with the KJV. Sometimes one version will completely overlook/ignore something.
You're comparing men cross-referencing things to God cross-referencing things. The point is, there is no comparison.

Shawn Henry
captain of 1,000

Post by Shawn Henry »

ransomme wrote: March 28th, 2023, 3:40 pm You don't read one Bible in isolation. If I do word searches, I use the BYU Citation Index, then cross-reference to a better Bible.
The point is, the words of the Lord in the BoM and in particular the D&C will match the KJV. No other versions can link to the D&C, so any connections made will be missed out on. Once a different version changes the words, the connections are gone.

ransomme
captain of 1,000

Post by ransomme »

Shawn Henry wrote: March 29th, 2023, 1:38 pm
ransomme wrote: March 28th, 2023, 3:40 pm You don't read one Bible in isolation. If I do word searches, I use the BYU Citation Index, then cross-reference to a better Bible.
The point is, the words of the Lord in the BoM and in particular the D&C will match the KJV. No other versions can link to the D&C, so any connections made will be missed out on. Once a different version changes the words, the connections are gone.
I get that. And I start there with the Citation Index. But any translation is missing a lot which is why I like the LSB, for instance, since it does a much better job of being consistent with its translations. Either way, for deeper study you have to go to the Hebrew and Greek.