Poll: How often will we hear the name "Russell M. Nelson" or variants or "Jesus Christ" in General Conference?

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.

How many times do you think you will hear the prophet's name to Jesus Christ's name in GC?

Poll ended at April 3rd, 2023, 11:42 pm

>20:1 RMN:JC
17%
15-20:1 RMN:JC
7%
10-15:1 RMN:JC
11%
5-10:1 RMN:JC
15%
2-5:1 RMN:JC
9%
1-2:1 RMN:JC
9%
1:1 RMN:JC
11%
1:1-2 RMN:JC
4%
1:2-5 RMN:JC
9%
1:5-10 RMN:JC
4%
1:10-15 RMN:JC
No votes
1:15-20 RMN:JC
No votes
1:>20 RMN:JC
4%

Total votes: 46
Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Re: Poll: How often will we hear the name "Russell M. Nelson" or variants or "Jesus Christ" in General Conference?

Post by Subcomandante »

endlessQuestions wrote: March 26th, 2023, 12:26 am I don’t think the exercise is useful.

Secret society members are not stupid, and understand that they need to use the name of Jesus Christ as much as they possibly can, in ways that they are allowed to. It’s what allows the cultural conditioning to remain rooted.

I like the idea that somebody else mentioned is comparing how many times RMN’s name is used, and in what context, compared to other leaders of the church historically. A longitudinal look at that might reveal useful patterns that could help break the cultural conditioning. IMO.
Yes.

We need to look at benchmark comparisons, I recommend every decade, though we could easily do one every five years.

harakim
captain of 1,000

Re: Poll: How often will we hear the name "Russell M. Nelson" or variants or "Jesus Christ" in General Conference?

Post by harakim »

Subcomandante wrote: March 25th, 2023, 11:42 pm Lineman posted an interesting bet where he said that he feels that in Conference there will be a 10:1 ratio of mentions of the current prophet over mentions of Jesus Christ.

I commented that I would be surprised, that it would even be a 1:1 Nelson:Jesus Christ ratio, saying it will be more like a 3:1 Jesus Christ to Nelson ratio.

Answer the poll below. A ratio where the right number is bigger indicates where you think Jesus Christ will be mentioned more. A ratio where the left number is bigger indicates where you think Russell M. Nelson will be mentioned more.

If you think the ratio will be 6:1 RMN:JC, you would answer the poll 5-10:1 RMN:JC. If you think the ratio will be 3:1 JC:RMN you would answer 1:2-5 RMN:JC

What say you guys?

Poll is up now.
Does "the prophet" or "our prophet" or the like count?

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Post by Subcomandante »

harakim wrote: March 26th, 2023, 7:32 pm
Subcomandante wrote: March 25th, 2023, 11:42 pm Lineman posted an interesting bet where he said that he feels that in Conference there will be a 10:1 ratio of mentions of the current prophet over mentions of Jesus Christ.

I commented that I would be surprised, that it would even be a 1:1 Nelson:Jesus Christ ratio, saying it will be more like a 3:1 Jesus Christ to Nelson ratio.

Answer the poll below. A ratio where the right number is bigger indicates where you think Jesus Christ will be mentioned more. A ratio where the left number is bigger indicates where you think Russell M. Nelson will be mentioned more.

If you think the ratio will be 6:1 RMN:JC, you would answer the poll 5-10:1 RMN:JC. If you think the ratio will be 3:1 JC:RMN you would answer 1:2-5 RMN:JC

What say you guys?

Poll is up now.
Does "the prophet" or "our prophet" or the like count?
Unless prefaced by another name, it would count.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Niemand wrote: March 26th, 2023, 4:42 pm Jesus didn't really have a surname in the modern sense.
Good point.

We do call him (the) Saviour or Christ a lot. It is rarer to hear of him just called Jesus (rather than Jesus Christ) in the LDS but common elsewhere.
True

You know why you can't just call him Russell, don't you? Because that would be a half-Nelson.
🤣😂🤣

Besides, I believe he will be calling himself Russell M. Nelson Mandela after taking that award in South Africa.
😆😁

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

I'd like to know, too.

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Cruiserdude »

Silver Pie wrote: May 8th, 2023, 5:19 pm I'd like to know, too.
I tried really hard to not notice when Nelson was referenced.... But in all sincerity, it was so frequent that I couldn't help but think about this thread lol

TheDuke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by TheDuke »

how about "beloved prophet"? does that count as well?

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Cruiserdude »

TheDuke wrote: May 8th, 2023, 6:29 pm how about "beloved prophet"? does that count as well?
If it references Nelson, yes.

TheDuke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by TheDuke »

the more I think about it the more the phrase "beloved prophet" seems improper. I never really analyzed the word "beloved" before. But with John Wick 4, he made a big deal about the difference between "beloved" and "loving". Beloved means they are loved, loving means they love. Why are we needing to say the prophet is loved (by us or men)? When did we go from follow or sustain to loving him? Seems those who use this term must only be able to say it for themselves, better to say "I love the prophet". Anyway, I don't like it.

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Cruiserdude »

TheDuke wrote: May 8th, 2023, 6:36 pm the more I think about it the more the phrase "beloved prophet" seems improper. I never really analyzed the word "beloved" before. But with John Wick 4, he made a big deal about the difference between "beloved" and "loving". Beloved means they are loved, loving means they love. Why are we needing to say the prophet is loved (by us or men)? When did we go from follow or sustain to loving him? Seems those who use this term must only be able to say it for themselves, better to say "I love the prophet". Anyway, I don't like it.
That's funny, I said the same exact thing here on forum about the term 'beloved' being used to reference a prophet, or anyone besides Jesus Christ, and how it's absolutely improper..... 👍

TheDuke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by TheDuke »

Cruiserdude wrote: May 8th, 2023, 6:39 pm
TheDuke wrote: May 8th, 2023, 6:36 pm the more I think about it the more the phrase "beloved prophet" seems improper. I never really analyzed the word "beloved" before. But with John Wick 4, he made a big deal about the difference between "beloved" and "loving". Beloved means they are loved, loving means they love. Why are we needing to say the prophet is loved (by us or men)? When did we go from follow or sustain to loving him? Seems those who use this term must only be able to say it for themselves, better to say "I love the prophet". Anyway, I don't like it.
That's funny, I said the same exact thing here on forum about the term 'beloved' being used to reference a prophet, or anyone besides Jesus Christ, and how it's absolutely improper..... 👍
I agree my beloved Cruiserdude

TheDuke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by TheDuke »

TheDuke wrote: May 8th, 2023, 6:40 pm
actually, there are acceptable social uses of "beloved". I think it is ok in our time period for any dead person. It seems a pretty typical salutation of honor for the deceased. but not the living.

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Cruiserdude »

TheDuke wrote: May 8th, 2023, 6:40 pm
Haha lolol 😂👍

TheDuke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by TheDuke »

BTW the interesting but useless point of "beloved" vs. "loving" was because John wanted his wife's headstone to say that she was loved "beloved wife". And he didn't want to presume the same for himself or at the very least felt that it was more important that he loved her than he was love by her; so his headstone was "loving husband".

I know it is silly, but it drives home a bit the idea that it is better to be loving than be loved, if you are humble.

SO wouldn't it be more powerful to say "loving prophet"?

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Post by Subcomandante »

Initial count - Strictest standard: Jesus Christ vs Nelson

Saturday morning:
Gary E Stevenson 23:1
Bonnie Cardon 7:1
Carl B. Cook 5:0
Gerritt W. Gong 10:0
Quentin L Cook 13:5
Allen Haynie 3:10
Henry B Eyring 2:1

Total 63:18, a ratio of 3.5 to 1.

Saturday Afternoon
Dale Renlund 10:1
Peter F Meurs 7:1
Randall K Bennett 3:4
Craig C Christensen 10:2
Evan A Schmultz 5:4
Benjamin De Hoyos 4:2
Dieter F Uchtdorf 19:0

Total 58:14, a ratio of about 4.1 to 1.

Saturday Evening
Mark A Bragg 7:6
Milton Camargo 22:3
K Brett Nattress 7:1
Juan C Uceda 4:2

Total 40:12, a ratio of about 3.3 to 1.

Total Saturday 161:44 or about 3.7 to 1.

Sunday Morning
D Todd Christofferson 6:1
Camille Johnson 18:4
Ulises Soares 2:1 (albeit, he makes several references to Jesus, (Savior, Son of David etc), I am strictly following specifically the strict terminology of Jesus being mentioned here).
Kazuhiko Yamashita 4:1
Neil L Andersen 16:2
Kevin R Duncan 13:2
Russell M Nelson 12:0

Total 61:11 or about 5.6 to 1

Sunday Afternoon
Dallin H Oaks 6:0
M Russell Ballard 8:0
Ronald A Rasband 16:3
Vern Stanfield 3:1
W Mark Bassett 8:1
Ahmad S Corbitt 9:1
David A Bednar 7:1
Russell M Nelson 7:0

Total 64:7 or about 9.1 to 1

Sunday total 125:18 or about 7.0 to 1
Conference total 266:62 or about 4.3 to 1.

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Post by Subcomandante »

FP/Q12A

Russell M Nelson (combined) 13:0
Jeffrey R Holland EXCUSED
Gary E Stevensen 23:1
Gerritt W Gong 10:0
Ulises Soares 2:1

total 151:16 or about 9.4 to 1

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Post by Subcomandante »

Recap: If we only count the Apostles and the First Presidency, they mentioned Jesus Christ over Nelson at a 9 to 1 ratio. Everyone else still had a 2.5 to 1 ratio, and it averaged out to slightly above a 4 to 1 ratio for Jesus Christ above Nelson.

I had estimated a 3 to 1 ratio so it turns out I erred slightly in favor of the critic position that they tend to mention the prophet more than Christ.

Lineman had posited a 10 to 1 Nelson over Jesus Christ ratio so he was clearly off. Conversely, there were a few people that posited an over 20:1 ratio, which was met by a few speakers.

There were only TWO speakers throughout the entire conference that said the prophet's name more than Jesus Christ: Elder Haynie who had a 3:10 ratio and Elder Bennett with a 3:4 ratio.

Maybe Haynie DOES deserve the sack of crap this board has been giving him. Remove his talk and you have over a 5:1 ratio of Jesus over Nelson. That is the definition of a statistical outlier, ladies and gentlemen.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

Yeah, but Elder Haynie was recounting a story where President Nelson was the focal point.

Bronco73idi
captain of 1,000

Post by Bronco73idi »

Subcomandante wrote: May 8th, 2023, 9:37 pm Initial count - Strictest standard: Jesus Christ vs Nelson

Saturday morning:
Gary E Stevenson 23:1
Bonnie Cardon 7:1
Carl B. Cook 5:0
Gerritt W. Gong 10:0
Allen Haynie 3:10

Total 63:18, a ratio of 3.5 to 1.

Saturday Afternoon
Peter F Meurs 7:1
Randall K Bennett 3:4
Craig C Christensen 10:2
Evan A Schmultz 5:4
Benjamin De Hoyos 4:2

Total 58:14, a ratio of about 4.1 to 1.

Saturday Evening
Mark A Bragg 7:6
Milton Camargo 22:3
K Brett Nattress 7:1
Juan C Uceda 4:2

Total 40:12, a ratio of about 3.3 to 1.

Total Saturday 161:44 or about 3.7 to 1.

Sunday Morning
Camille Johnson 18:4
Ulises Soares 2:1 (albeit, he makes several references to Jesus, (Savior, Son of David etc), I am strictly following specifically the strict terminology of Jesus being mentioned here).
Kazuhiko Yamashita 4:1
Kevin R Duncan 13:2
Russell M Nelson 12:0

Total 61:11 or about 5.6 to 1

Sunday Afternoon
Vern Stanfield 3:1
W Mark Bassett 8:1
Ahmad S Corbitt 9:1
Russell M Nelson 7:0

Total 64:7 or about 9.1 to 1

Sunday total 125:18 or about 7.0 to 1
Conference total 266:62 or about 4.3 to 1.
Awesome work brother.

Not enough 0’s for my liking but who am I lol

briznian
captain of 100

Post by briznian »

If it is really the words of Jesus, as it should be, He should get all the credit and not these men.

LDS Physician
captain of 1,000

Post by LDS Physician »

JohnnyL wrote: May 8th, 2023, 11:01 pm Yeah, but Elder Haynie was recounting a story where President Nelson was the focal point.
That's literally the problem ...