Mormon man poisoned wife

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Mamabear
captain of 1,000

Mormon man poisoned wife

Post by Mamabear »

https://news.yahoo.com/colorado-wife-wh ... 49190.html

From Reddit, here’s a disturbing email from the bishop of their ward:
EC96D193-CA07-41FB-BEEB-3DD3CE9B8C28.jpeg
EC96D193-CA07-41FB-BEEB-3DD3CE9B8C28.jpeg (216.55 KiB) Viewed 517 times
https://www.reddit.com/r/exmormon/comments/1217ckl/ugh/

So Mormons can’t judge murderers but they can judge everyone else for insignificant things. Yeah ok.

Hugh Akston
captain of 10

Re: Mormon man poisoned wife

Post by Hugh Akston »

Seems like a reach, based upon this undated email written by a lay clergyman, to infer somehow that the church or its members countenance murderers.

A problem with Exmormons is their willingness to instantly and uncritically accept as true, any negative news about a member and automatically generalize it against the whole of the faith. It’s a ugly combination of credulity and malevolence.

Are we to believe that the church or anyone in this congregation is anything less than horrifiedby these allegations?

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

Hugh Akston wrote: March 25th, 2023, 5:38 am Seems like a reach, based upon this undated email written by a lay clergyman, to infer somehow that the church or its members countenance murderers.

A problem with Exmormons is their willingness to instantly and uncritically accept as true, any negative news about a member and automatically generalize it against the whole of the faith. It’s a ugly combination of credulity and malevolence.

Are we to believe that the church or anyone in this congregation is anything less than horrifiedby these allegations?
Read the news article. It appears the man had issues. He was having an affair and tried to commit suicide previously. Then he poisoned his wife's protein drink and she died. A real winner here. Sure, you'd have to wait for the court case details to emerge, but there was sufficient evidence to charge the man w/ his wife's murder.

And this Bishop should have just shut his mouth and offered a factual email w/o the apologetics. If he murdered his wife, he should be publicly executed.

Mindfields
captain of 1,000

Post by Mindfields »

A problem with Mormons is their willingness to instantly and uncritically accept as true, any negative news about an exmormon and automatically generalize it against the whole of the exmormon community. It’s a ugly combination of credulity and malevolence.

Hugh Akston
captain of 10

Post by Hugh Akston »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: March 25th, 2023, 5:55 am
Hugh Akston wrote: March 25th, 2023, 5:38 am Seems like a reach, based upon this undated email written by a lay clergyman, to infer somehow that the church or its members countenance murderers.

Read the news article. It appears the man had issues. He was having an affair and tried to commit suicide previously. Then he poisoned his wife's protein drink and she died. A real winner here. Sure, you'd have to wait for the court case details to emerge, but there was sufficient evidence to charge the man w/ his wife's murder.

And this Bishop should have just shut his mouth and offered a factual email w/o the apologetics. If he murdered his wife, he should be publicly executed.
I was speaking specifically to the outrage in response to the quoted email, not the suspect or crimes.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Hugh Akston wrote: March 25th, 2023, 6:06 am I was speaking specifically to the outrage in response to the quoted email, not the suspect or crimes.
"We don't judge." That is blatantly and completely false. Christ specifically taught that we are to judge righteously. Maybe if this bishop had judged correctly and brought to light the atrocities of this man, his wife would still be alive.

Hugh Akston
captain of 10

Post by Hugh Akston »

Mindfields wrote: March 25th, 2023, 6:00 am A problem with Mormons is their willingness to instantly and uncritically accept as true, any negative news about an exmormon and automatically generalize it against the whole of the exmormon community. It’s a ugly combination of credulity and malevolence.
You’re right, to be more specific I should’ve written “Exmormon Internet™” or even “Exmormon Reddit”

You’re also correct in that Mormons are gullible. I don’t believe they are malevolent as a pattern.

Hugh Akston
captain of 10

Post by Hugh Akston »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: March 25th, 2023, 6:10 am
Hugh Akston wrote: March 25th, 2023, 6:06 am I was speaking specifically to the outrage in response to the quoted email, not the suspect or crimes.
"We don't judge." That is blatantly and completely false. Christ specifically taught that we are to judge righteously. Maybe if this bishop had judged correctly and brought to light the atrocities of this man, his wife would still be alive.
If you look at the context of this bishops’s email and what any bishop would likely be trying to do under the circumstance, he’s talking about taking care of this family whose children are now effectively orphaned and suddenly under the media microscope along with any neighbor/ward members.

Every busybody gossip in the word now has a chance to give their own $0.02 about this family on a worldwide stage. Again, I don’t think the Bishop’s message was “don’t judge this murderer” is was a soft way of asking people to stfu which could include members stating that they’re shocked because he appeared on the outside to be such a great family man (a form of judgment).

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Hugh Akston wrote: March 25th, 2023, 6:29 am
Reluctant Watchman wrote: March 25th, 2023, 6:10 am
If you look at the context of this bishops’s email and what any bishop would likely be trying to do under the circumstance, he’s talking about taking care of this family whose children are now effectively orphaned and suddenly under the media microscope along with any neighbor/ward members.

Every busybody gossip in the word now has a chance to give their own $0.02 about this family on a worldwide stage. Again, I don’t think the Bishop’s message was “don’t judge this murderer” is was a soft way of asking people to stfu which could include members stating that they’re shocked because he appeared on the outside to be such a great family man (a form of judgment).
Sure, he mentions the children, but that last point was unfounded and scripturally untrue. We can read into it all we want, but our society has seemingly jumped on the woke bandwagon of being non-judgemental, which is false. Read Moroni 7, he uses the word "judge" eleven times in that chapter alone.

I'm sure the father hid all of this from most people. I listen to a lot of crime shows and it is surprising how many evil people look like the nice next-door neighbor who wouldn't harm a fly.

Mamabear
captain of 1,000

Post by Mamabear »

More of the same garbage from the church….we are your only trusted source so if you have any questions only ask us. Don’t talk to the media about this. Don’t judge or talk about truly evil people.
It’s exactly how they handle sexual abuse cases.
SMH.

nightlight
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by nightlight »

The text messages between the wife and husband while she was sick/poisoned
makes me so angry/sad. I just can't...

Straight to death row

CuriousThinker
captain of 1,000

Post by CuriousThinker »

How about we let them govern themselves and decide who they talk to.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

This is a deliberate misreading of the email. The bishop is clearly trying to prevent the children from being pestered and false rumours being spread. The situation is difficult enough for them already.

We've all seen what sensationalist news reporting can also do.

Wolfwoman
captain of 1,000

Post by Wolfwoman »

nightlight wrote: March 25th, 2023, 7:09 am The text messages between the wife and husband while she was sick/poisoned

Straight to death row
Where can I read these? 😬

Wolfwoman
captain of 1,000

Post by Wolfwoman »

I understand the affair he was having was with a man.

Edit: I just watched the video and it says he was having an affair with a woman. So I was wrong! I could have sworn the first report I heard of this case said the orthodontist was a man! Don’t mind me!
Last edited by Wolfwoman on March 25th, 2023, 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Luke »

I agree with both sides here. I think that the attitude of the Bishop is condescending and unnecessary, but people are reading into it things they want to see.

Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Luke »

Wolfwoman wrote: March 25th, 2023, 8:04 am I understand the affair he was having was with a man.
Perhaps why they didn't mention it...

nightlight
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by nightlight »

I just feel so bad for the kids.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Mamabear wrote: March 25th, 2023, 5:19 am https://news.yahoo.com/colorado-wife-wh ... 49190.html

So Mormons can’t judge murderers but they can judge everyone else for insignificant things. Yeah ok.
We have this rule over here which you guys copied from us. It's called "innocent until proved guilty".
There is a judgment to be made following due process. Until that happens, the bishop's counsel to refrain from judgment is quite proper.

Mamabear
captain of 1,000

Post by Mamabear »

Wolfwoman wrote: March 25th, 2023, 8:01 am
nightlight wrote: March 25th, 2023, 7:09 am The text messages between the wife and husband while she was sick/poisoned

Straight to death row
Where can I read these? 😬
Watch the 2 minute video at the top of the link.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Robin Hood wrote: March 25th, 2023, 8:20 am
Mamabear wrote: March 25th, 2023, 5:19 am https://news.yahoo.com/colorado-wife-wh ... 49190.html

We have this rule over here which you guys copied from us. It's called "innocent until proved guilty".
There is a judgment to be made following due process. Until that happens, the bishop's counsel to refrain from judgment is quite proper.
That phrase, to many here, means we can’t even have strong suspicions.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Niemand wrote: March 25th, 2023, 7:45 am This is a deliberate misreading of the email. The bishop is clearly trying to prevent the children from being pestered and false rumours being spread. The situation is difficult enough for them already.

We've all seen what sensationalist news reporting can also do.
The petition to “don’t judge” has nothing to do with the children. Nothing!

endlessQuestions
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by endlessQuestions »

Secrets make you sick.

Wonder how many times this woman counseled with her leaders asking if she should leave this abusive relationship.

Wonder what they counseled her to do.

Wonder why they want nobody to talk, which is a critical part of the grieving process.

Wonder if they have attorney client privilege because they called the hotline.

Wonder what resources they provided this abused woman and her children, if the hotline was indeed called.

Secrets make you sick.

nightlight
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by nightlight »

Not to judge is a strange thing to say in this instance

Obviously nobody in their right mind would would judge the kids. ?

So does he mean not to judge the father?

(I saw screenshots of the text messages. Seems legit)

The guy drugged his wife perviously in their marriage. He said he did it so she couldn't stop him from killing himself.

He refers to this incident when she is texting him about how sick she is(she throwing up laying on the bedroom floor, unable to focus her eyes, dizzy, etc).
She tells him that she feels like she's been drugged. He tells her that he didn't drug her and that he knows that this is triggering to her because of what he did to her in their past. She then goes to the hospital...they release her not knowing what is wrong. The next dose puts her on life support.

Hugh Akston
captain of 10

Post by Hugh Akston »

Wolfwoman wrote: March 25th, 2023, 8:04 am I understand the affair he was having was with a man.
Last edited by Hugh Akston on March 28th, 2023, 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.