General Conference April 2023: Rumors / Predictions / Musings / Live Report

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Seed Starter
captain of 1,000

Re: General Conference April 2023: Rumors / Predictions / Musings / Live Report

Post by Seed Starter »

How does building and operating so many new and existing temples and churches square with UN "sustainability" goals? Never mind, that matter is probably closed after the climate repentance thing :lol: :lol:

JK4Woods
captain of 1,000

Post by JK4Woods »

From that video on the other conference thread…. Summary of Predictive Rumors for April 2023 General Conference: (just the ones seemingly plausible):

1. Audit report won’t happen

2. Won’t have sustaining of authorities or church officers in any session.

3. There will be several talks about charity, with a review of the recently released report and an half hour documentary between sessions showcasing LDS working thru other NGO organizations in Africa.

4. Some kind of MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT (to divert attention from SEC Ensign Peak ramifications).

5. Major announcement could be missionary related. IE: young married couples can now serve missions together. Or families can go into the mission field together, or church will pay for missions, or opening twenty missions in India…

6. Temple Garments are relaxed and only need to be worn on Sunday or going to the temple.

7. Word of Wisdom is relaxed allowing tea and coffee to be consumed so all the Indians, Chinese and Africans can join faster.

8. Major announcement that Temple Square and area east of it are getting a complete makeover, including razing the Church office building, hotel Utah and having a huge open field east of the temple and new buildings to the north. It will be similar to a theme park, with some kind of ride to go visit all the areas. (Wait… this was already leaked on Reddit).

9. Changing the name of FHE to “Family Service Evening”

10. Change vernacular “… going to the temple” to “… going to the House of the Lord” and always referring to the temple as The House of the Lord.

11. Change vernacular from “tithe payer” to “temple worthiness”

12. Proclaim a media fast, and/or creation of an LDS Social Media platform, with harsh words for social media influencers falling off the wagon.

13. Other newish phrases will gain ground by leadership using them: “Celestial Traitors”, “Lazy Donors”, “Garment Dodgers”, ATC’s -(Activists Toward the Church), which are members within the church who speak up, or bring to light true passages of scripture which embarrass by hypocrisy.

14. More emphasis on the Bible, less on the Book of Mormon (…wait that’s already happening…).

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

Lizzy60 wrote: March 24th, 2023, 2:34 pm This was posted by my Stake in Texas on its Facebook page.
———————————————————————————————————
This FREE conference is coming up April 1 & 2. There are inspiring messages and music by the Tabernacle Choir! Details below.

Welcome Jesus Into Your Life. Join us Palm Sunday weekend.
[This was on a picture of Christ entering Jerusalem on a donkey]

We welcome you to join with millions of people worldwide to hear inspiring messages of hope and renewal from living prophets and apostles during the upcoming general conference of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints on Saturday and Sunday, April 1–2, 2023.
This free uplifting conference can prepare you for Easter!
Broadcast times and links below! Save the Date!
These peeps are amazing marketers.

What we need is the PSRs to quote Nephi and Isaiah and to tell this nation that we are in a helluva lot of trouble and that hell and damnation are coming to this and many other nations. Sh*t is gonna hit the fan soon. This nation has broken the covenant. The Lord's protection will be removed.

TwochurchesOnly
captain of 1,000

Post by TwochurchesOnly »

JK4Woods wrote: March 24th, 2023, 5:00 pm From that video on the other conference thread…. Summary of Predictive Rumors for April 2023 General Conference: (just the ones seemingly plausible):

3. There will be several talks about charity, with a review of the recently released report and an half hour documentary between sessions showcasing LDS working thru other NGO organizations in Africa.

4. Some kind of MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT (to divert attention from SEC Ensign Peak ramifications).

5. Major announcement could be missionary related. IE: young married couples can now serve missions together. Or families can go into the mission field together, or church will pay for missions, or opening twenty missions in India…

6. Temple Garments are relaxed and only need to be worn on Sunday or going to the temple.

7. Word of Wisdom is relaxed allowing tea and coffee to be consumed so all the Indians, Chinese and Africans can join faster.

8. Major announcement that Temple Square and area east of it are getting a complete makeover, including razing the Church office building, hotel Utah and having a huge open field east of the temple and new buildings to the north. It will be similar to a theme park, with some kind of ride to go visit all the areas. (Wait… this was already leaked on Reddit).

10. Change vernacular “… going to the temple” to “… going to the House of the Lord” and always referring to the temple as The House of the Lord.

12. Proclaim a media fast, and/or creation of an LDS Social Media platform, with harsh words for social media influencers falling off the wagon.

13. Other newish phrases will gain ground by leadership using them: “Celestial Traitors”, “Lazy Donors”, “Garment Dodgers”, ATC’s -(Activists Toward the Church), which are members within the church who speak up, or bring to light true passages of scripture which embarrass by hypocrisy.

14. More emphasis on the Bible, less on the Book of Mormon (…wait that’s already happening…).
"..church will pay for missions "
🤣🥸🥱

TheDuke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by TheDuke »

farmerchick wrote: March 24th, 2023, 4:19 pm
TheDuke wrote: March 24th, 2023, 3:18 pm Well, they announced a temple last time in Tacoma. Tacoma is maybe an hour from Seattle (temple in Bellevue). Seattle is one of the great big temples of the 80's. It seems empty most of the time, but I haven't been since pre-COVID for an endowment session. But, I know the 3 stakes here (Bellevue, Bellevue South and Renton) have shrunk from 8 to 5 wards each in last several years. Seems like a waste of money to me, bothers me a lot. I mean to save an hour or so?

I doubt I will listen. the last two times I listened. I was continually offended by something I felt was wrong in a talk (I'd say 70%), felt uplifted but not edified in 30% and felt the Lord talking to me, 3 times for less than 30 seconds each in both GC's of 4 sessions.

I will admit that I am not excited about getting a warm fuzzy, just a little doctrine.

BTW I think they wall say "follow the prophet"
Well in defense of the Tacoma temple...there are many members in sw Washington in Thurston Lewis Cowlitz pierce and south king county who are very glad they no longer have to fight traffic all the way up to Bellevue......js.....I hate the drive to Bellevue...
well, sell of Seattle then. My point is temples really don't need to be such that an hour for a handful of people is worth $40M. IMO. Then again the push for extremely frequent attendance doesn't fit my understanding either. If that was necessary, the Lord, JS and others would have more ordinances and activities for living folks. As it is, if you're alive you only need to attend twice. Once for endowment and once for wedding. All else is for purposes other than temple work.

Don 't get me wrong, I have had many blessings in the temple, in the past. But, outside the key ordinances and attending them for my family, I could find the same blessings in another building, and should be able to do so IMO.

but, I guess, lets build one in Fife and Cle Elum, nasty drive from there in the winter. What about Okanogan? Wallawalla? Every chapel can be a temple?

Lineman1012
captain of 100

Post by Lineman1012 »

TheDuke wrote: March 24th, 2023, 3:18 pm Well, they announced a temple last time in Tacoma. Tacoma is maybe an hour from Seattle (temple in Bellevue). Seattle is one of the great big temples of the 80's. It seems empty most of the time, but I haven't been since pre-COVID for an endowment session. But, I know the 3 stakes here (Bellevue, Bellevue South and Renton) have shrunk from 8 to 5 wards each in last several years. Seems like a waste of money to me, bothers me a lot. I mean to save an hour or so?

I doubt I will listen. the last two times I listened. I was continually offended by something I felt was wrong in a talk (I'd say 70%), felt uplifted but not edified in 30% and felt the Lord talking to me, 3 times for less than 30 seconds each in both GC's of 4 sessions.

I will admit that I am not excited about getting a warm fuzzy, just a little doctrine.

Our “BELOVED” prophet.

TheDuke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by TheDuke »

And I don't think they will announce any temples. Rather new locations for "House of the Lord". Temple is passay.

Seed Starter
captain of 1,000

Post by Seed Starter »

JK4Woods wrote: March 24th, 2023, 5:00 pm From that video on the other conference thread…. Summary of Predictive Rumors for April 2023 General Conference: (just the ones seemingly plausible):

I'd say this is pretty on brand. It reads like a post conference review :lol: I don't think garments would change though.

Atrasado
captain of 1,000

Post by Atrasado »

I give them 50/50 on ordaining women to the priesthood. Maybe even 60/40.

It would kill the Church because all the men/conservatives would check out and the women would soon find out that it's not very fun, at least how we administer the Church right now, but it would give the leaders a HUGE jolt of publicity. Our Church President might have to go to Stockholm for his new medal.

Don't get me wrong. Women will have the priesthood. We just don't know much about it and I'm confident that any revelation those men have on that subject won't be from God.
Last edited by Atrasado on March 24th, 2023, 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spiritMan
captain of 1,000

Post by spiritMan »

Subcomandante wrote: March 24th, 2023, 2:24 pm Hello guys,

Well, it's that time of year again...We have one week to go before General Conference, and we have the Leadership Sessions of the A-70s and G-70s from Tuesday and Wednesday, where the Church has recently been announcing policy changes and other things.

To be honest, in light of many things that have been revealed over the course of the last couple of months (COUGH SEC COUGH) my usual excitement for this event is not as much as in previous installments.

It has come to my attention that Elder Pearson recently said in a gathering (I think in Lindon UT) that it is the goal of the Church to have 500 announced temples by 2030.

The Salt Lake Temple Completion date has been backed up to 2026 at the earliest (though the first of the base deflectors has already been completed and installed, and those are expected to all be in play before the end of the year or the very start of 2024).

Predictions for the upcoming Conference:

Another 15-20 temples announced. Most likely places in my area to get temples: Cancun (4 stakes nearby, another couple in Chetumal and Tizimin), Nealtican (3 local stakes, another nearby in Atlixco, a district south in Izucar, and both Cholula stakes (Ometoxtla, Cholula))

USA:
US: Riverton UT, Cottonwood UT, Blackfoot ID, W PHX AZ, Bakersfield CA, El Paso TX, Houston II (Friendswood OR Sugarland) TX, Jackson MS, Charlotte NC

EUR:
Milan IT, Edinburgh SC UK

AFR:
Lome TG, Luanda AN, Yamousoukkro CI, Cape Coast GH

ASIA:
Osaka JP, Ullanbattar MN

CSA:

Medellin CO, Alajuela CR, Santa Ana ES, Mato Grosso BR, Triple Frontera BR/AR/PY, Florianopolis BR

Audit report with slight modifications
More faith, hope, repentance
A controversial talk by Elder Oaks that pleases conservatives and infuriates liberals.
An equally controversial talk by Uchtdorf (or Gong) but reversed (infuriates conservatives, pleases liberals).
Bednar offending my wife, Rasband offending me.
Elder Holland will begin or end a session
A talk or talks to be given on the blessings of paying tithes and offerings (in light of the SEC, this would come about as tone deaf).
A talk or talks given on the recent revelations of the Church giving out 1.2bn in humanitarian aid, with a note on why the Church decides to donate to specific charities that would have been unthinkable 20 or 40 years ago.

Estimated membership growth 1.2%
Members about 17.05M
Convert baptisms about 240k
ICR about 70k
Way to high on the growth and convert baptisms. Last years with more than 240k converts were 2016 and 2019. I'll say ~110k membership growth. In 2019 there were 60 new stakes and in 2016 100 new stakes. In 2022 there were 32. It's possible the numbers are worse than 2020 with <98k new members.

Growth wise people don't really realize how bad the spot the Church is in. In 2020 it grew 98k, in '21 140k. The last time the Church was growing around 100-140k was 1974!! 50 years ago.

spiritMan
captain of 1,000

Post by spiritMan »

Atrasado wrote: March 24th, 2023, 6:14 pm I give them 50/50 on ordaining women to the priesthood. Maybe even 60/40.

It would kill the Church because all the men/conservatives would check out and the women would soon find out that it's not very fun, at least how we do it, but it would give the leaders a HUGE jolt of publicity. Our Church President might have to go to Stockholm for his new medal.

Don't get me wrong. Women will have the/a priesthood. We just don't know much about it and I'm confident that any revelation those men have on that subject won't be from God.
Wouldn't surprise me. The product has gone stale-so have to do something to spice it up. The doctrine of "Belonging" isn't doing it . . .so women get some priesthood might help.

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

I don’t trust any numbers they give us, whether it’s membership, baptisms, or dollars spent on humanitarian aid.

Gee, I wonder why I’m so cynical?

Rumpelstiltskin
captain of 1,000

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

There will be much more wokeness announced with more condemnation of imaginary racists, more wallowing with the oppressed LGBTQRSTUV brothers and sisters. "Follow the prophet" will be emphasized because he's infallible and cannot lead the Church astray. There'll be the usual watered-down doctrine that's incapable of saving anyone.

Wolfwoman
captain of 1,000

Post by Wolfwoman »

So far I’ve heard:

1. There will be a second “temple” built on temple square, but it won’t be dedicated so that people can walk through it.

2. Not so much a conference prediction as a prediction of a new gospel topic essay or a news room release or something like that regarding: prophet fallibility. To address the SEC mess?

I think they’ve got to address the SEC thing when/if they do the audit report. How could they not?!

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Post by Subcomandante »

Wolfwoman wrote: March 24th, 2023, 7:14 pm So far I’ve heard:

1. There will be a second “temple” built on temple square, but it won’t be dedicated so that people can walk through it.

2. Not so much a conference prediction as a prediction of a new gospel topic essay or a news room release or something like that regarding: prophet fallibility. To address the SEC mess?

I think they’ve got to address the SEC thing when/if they do the audit report. How could they not?!
Maybe a type of replica structure? That would be interesting...

I couldn't see how they could avoid it either, except by not making public the audit report. That would be a BIG red flag for sure.

Hiker
captain of 100

Post by Hiker »

A large amount of LDS people drink caffeinated soda. Coffee and tea is healthier than having a Diet Coke or Red Bull.

Definitely would be nice also to be able have to have some wine.

If we can take a deadly experimental vaccine we should be able to at least have wine every once in a while.

farmerchick
captain of 1,000

Post by farmerchick »

TheDuke wrote: March 24th, 2023, 5:12 pm

Well in defense of the Tacoma temple...there are many members in sw Washington in Thurston Lewis Cowlitz pierce and south king county who are very glad they no longer have to fight traffic all the way up to Bellevue......js.....I hate the drive to Bellevue...
well, sell of Seattle then. My point is temples really don't need to be such that an hour for a handful of people is worth $40M. IMO. Then again the push for extremely frequent attendance doesn't fit my understanding either. If that was necessary, the Lord, JS and others would have more ordinances and activities for living folks. As it is, if you're alive you only need to attend twice. Once for endowment and once for wedding. All else is for purposes other than temple work.

Don 't get me wrong, I have had many blessings in the temple, in the past. But, outside the key ordinances and attending them for my family, I could find the same blessings in another building, and should be able to do so IMO.

but, I guess, lets build one in Fife and Cle Elum, nasty drive from there in the winter. What about Okanogan? Wallawalla? Every chapel can be a temple?
Okay then..we don't need temples...lol...maybe Seattle gets wiped off the map anyway....that would solve the Bellevue drive....never have to go there again...lol

madvin
captain of 1,000

Post by madvin »

Hiker wrote: March 24th, 2023, 7:21 pm

A large amount of LDS people drink caffeinated soda. Coffee and tea is healthier than having a Diet Coke or Red Bull.

If we can take a deadly experimental vaccine we should be able to at least have wine every once in a while.
For those who do not like the taste of wine, the juice of the red grape has all the health benefits of red wine. Not the pasteurized or "from concentrate" version however. Has to be pure juice only.

TheDuke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by TheDuke »

farmerchick wrote: March 24th, 2023, 7:53 pm
TheDuke wrote: March 24th, 2023, 5:12 pm

Okay then..we don't need temples...lol...maybe Seattle gets wiped off the map anyway....that would solve the Bellevue drive....never have to go there again...lol
Like I said before. I believe in temples. but, I think we are going overboard when we need one on every street corner and when we shame people into temple work. I have seen how many grossly errors there are in genealogy in my efforts. I don't think the current plan can possibly find even 1% of the worlds people accurately. Hence the work, will need to be done in the millennium. If the scriptures are correct most if not all the temples (like the ones in WA and OR and CA) will be destroyed.

Seems there must be a more practical way for the temple to be of value than just going for dead people that may or may not have existed and likely couldn't care less. Also, BTW I don't believe anyone dead is hung up waiting for their work to be done. I just don't think it works that way. Oh they may be not moving, but they are not held back. Perhaps, while I firmly believe in the work for the living, I just don't really have a strong testimony for the dead. At least not beyond a couple of generations where we have some confidence they existed.

crabman
captain of 100

Post by crabman »

It is interesting that in the church we can't do as Jesus himself did while in the flesh or else we're unworthy.
Also interesting that we don't use wine in the sacrament, as there's very rich symbolism with wine that we don't get with water.

Lemarque
captain of 100

Post by Lemarque »

Seed Starter wrote: March 24th, 2023, 5:00 pm How does building and operating so many new and existing temples and churches square with UN "sustainability" goals? Never mind, that matter is probably closed after the climate repentance thing :lol: :lol:
15 minute cities

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Post by Subcomandante »

crabman wrote: March 24th, 2023, 8:35 pm

It is interesting that in the church we can't do as Jesus himself did while in the flesh or else we're unworthy.
Also interesting that we don't use wine in the sacrament, as there's very rich symbolism with wine that we don't get with water.
I do recall the Pharisees deriding Jesus as a winebibber.

h_p
captain of 1,000

Post by h_p »

Wolfwoman wrote: March 24th, 2023, 7:14 pm I think they’ve got to address the SEC thing when/if they do the audit report. How could they not?!
They consider the matter closed, of course. There's nothing to talk about.

But I'm sure there will be lots of talk about how charitable they all are and how important tithing is.

Lineman1012
captain of 100

Post by Lineman1012 »

Wolfwoman wrote: March 24th, 2023, 7:14 pm So far I’ve heard:

SEC thing - not a peep. Just ignore it and it will go away.

Rubicon
captain of 1,000

Post by Rubicon »

1) We only had about 90,000 baptisms last year, if you tease it out from the numbers. 240,000 is way too high, especially since the purpose of missions is no longer teaching and baptizing (it's an extended activity program for young adults now).

2) Elder Pearson, in addition to pegging the goal at 500 announced temples by 2030, also said that the goal is a temple per every two stakes Church wide. That would reduce the meaning of the temple, because it would be almost as ubiquitous as meeting houses --- and most would be unstaffed and unattended, except for rare appointments.

3) I expect the usual audit report, with no mention of the SEC fines. Bringing it up would cause more problems than ignoring it.