General Conference April 2023: Rumors / Predictions / Musings / Live Report

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

General Conference April 2023: Rumors / Predictions / Musings / Live Report

Post by Subcomandante »

Hello guys,

Well, it's that time of year again...We have one week to go before General Conference, and we have the Leadership Sessions of the A-70s and G-70s from Tuesday and Wednesday, where the Church has recently been announcing policy changes and other things.

To be honest, in light of many things that have been revealed over the course of the last couple of months (COUGH SEC COUGH) my usual excitement for this event is not as much as in previous installments.

It has come to my attention that Elder Pearson recently said in a gathering (I think in Lindon UT) that it is the goal of the Church to have 500 announced temples by 2030.

The Salt Lake Temple Completion date has been backed up to 2026 at the earliest (though the first of the base deflectors has already been completed and installed, and those are expected to all be in play before the end of the year or the very start of 2024).

Predictions for the upcoming Conference:

Another 15-20 temples announced. Most likely places in my area to get temples: Cancun (4 stakes nearby, another couple in Chetumal and Tizimin), Nealtican (3 local stakes, another nearby in Atlixco, a district south in Izucar, and both Cholula stakes (Ometoxtla, Cholula))

USA:
US: Riverton UT, Cottonwood UT, Blackfoot ID, W PHX AZ, Bakersfield CA, El Paso TX, Houston II (Friendswood OR Sugarland) TX, Jackson MS, Charlotte NC

EUR:
Milan IT, Edinburgh SC UK

AFR:
Lome TG, Luanda AN, Yamousoukkro CI, Cape Coast GH

ASIA:
Osaka JP, Ullanbattar MN

CSA:

Medellin CO, Alajuela CR, Santa Ana ES, Mato Grosso BR, Triple Frontera BR/AR/PY, Florianopolis BR

Audit report with slight modifications
More faith, hope, repentance
A controversial talk by Elder Oaks that pleases conservatives and infuriates liberals.
An equally controversial talk by Uchtdorf (or Gong) but reversed (infuriates conservatives, pleases liberals).
Bednar offending my wife, Rasband offending me.
Elder Holland will begin or end a session
A talk or talks to be given on the blessings of paying tithes and offerings (in light of the SEC, this would come about as tone deaf).
A talk or talks given on the recent revelations of the Church giving out 1.2bn in humanitarian aid, with a note on why the Church decides to donate to specific charities that would have been unthinkable 20 or 40 years ago.

Estimated membership growth 1.2%
Members about 17.05M
Convert baptisms about 240k
ICR about 70k
Last edited by Subcomandante on March 24th, 2023, 2:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

endlessQuestions
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: General Conference April 2023: Rumors / Predictions / Musings / Live Report

Post by endlessQuestions »

Excellent summary.

500 temples?

Ours can’t even fill a baptismal session on a Friday night sometimes.

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

This was posted by my Stake in Texas on its Facebook page.
———————————————————————————————————
This FREE conference is coming up April 1 & 2. There are inspiring messages and music by the Tabernacle Choir! Details below.

Welcome Jesus Into Your Life. Join us Palm Sunday weekend.
[This was on a picture of Christ entering Jerusalem on a donkey]

We welcome you to join with millions of people worldwide to hear inspiring messages of hope and renewal from living prophets and apostles during the upcoming general conference of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints on Saturday and Sunday, April 1–2, 2023.
This free uplifting conference can prepare you for Easter!
Broadcast times and links below! Save the Date!

TwochurchesOnly
captain of 1,000

Post by TwochurchesOnly »

endlessQuestions wrote: March 24th, 2023, 2:29 pm Excellent summary.

500 temples?

Ours can’t even fill a baptismal session on a Friday night sometimes.
Goal for announcing 500 temples--
Seriously sick individuals

Hosh
captain of 100

Post by Hosh »

Subcomandante wrote: March 24th, 2023, 2:24 pm Hello guys,

Well, it's that time of year again...We have one week to go before General Conference, and we have the Leadership Sessions of the A-70s and G-70s from Tuesday and Wednesday, where the Church has recently been announcing policy changes and other things.

To be honest, in light of many things that have been revealed over the course of the last couple of months (COUGH SEC COUGH) my usual excitement for this event is not as much as in previous installments.

It has come to my attention that Elder Pearson recently said in a gathering (I think in Lindon UT) that it is the goal of the Church to have 500 announced temples by 2030.

The Salt Lake Temple Completion date has been backed up to 2026 at the earliest (though the first of the base deflectors has already been completed and installed, and those are expected to all be in play before the end of the year or the very start of 2024).

Another 15-20 temples announced. Most likely places in my area to get temples: Cancun (4 stakes nearby, another couple in Chetumal and Tizimin), Nealtican (3 local stakes, another nearby in Atlixco, a district south in Izucar, and both Cholula stakes (Ometoxtla, Cholula))

USA:
US: Riverton UT, Cottonwood UT, Blackfoot ID, W PHX AZ, Bakersfield CA, El Paso TX, Houston II (Friendswood OR Sugarland) TX, Jackson MS, Charlotte NC

EUR:

AFR:

ASIA:
Osaka JP, Ullanbattar MN

CSA:

Medellin CO, Alajuela CR, Santa Ana ES, Mato Grosso BR, Triple Frontera BR/AR/PY, Florianopolis BR

A controversial talk by Elder Oaks that pleases conservatives and infuriates liberals.
An equally controversial talk by Uchtdorf (or Gong) but reversed (infuriates conservatives, pleases liberals).
A talk or talks to be given on the blessings of paying tithes and offerings (in light of the SEC, this would come about as tone deaf).
A talk or talks given on the recent revelations of the Church giving out 1.2bn in humanitarian aid, with a note on why the Church decides to donate to specific charities that would have been unthinkable 20 or 40 years ago.

Members about 17.05M
ICR about 70k
"Bednar offending my wife, Rasband offending me..." this made me chuckle haha

JK4Woods
captain of 1,000

Post by JK4Woods »

Lizzy60 wrote: March 24th, 2023, 2:34 pm This was posted by my Stake in Texas on its Facebook page.
This FREE conference is coming up April 1 & 2. There are inspiring messages and music by the Tabernacle Choir! Details below.

We welcome you to join with millions of people worldwide to hear inspiring messages of hope and renewal from living prophets and apostles during the upcoming general conference of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints on Saturday and Sunday, April 1–2, 2023.

…. I’m thinking it’s the Tabernacle Choir at Temple Square…. after all words have meanings… and we are blocked in heavenly progression when we don’t please the Lord…

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Post by Subcomandante »

Hosh wrote: March 24th, 2023, 2:42 pm

USA:

EUR:

AFR:

ASIA:
Osaka JP, Ullanbattar MN

CSA:

Members about 17.05M
ICR about 70k
Out of the 12 the one which my wife doesn't like the most is Bednar, and the one I don't like the most is Rasband. More for Rasband's associations prior to his call to the Apostleship, as well as some boneheaded things he's said of late.

HereWeGo
captain of 1,000

Post by HereWeGo »

Lizzy60 wrote: March 24th, 2023, 2:34 pm We welcome you to join with millions of people worldwide to hear inspiring messages of hope and renewal
We should be hearing messages about repenting and warning of things coming.

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Post by Subcomandante »

HereWeGo wrote: March 24th, 2023, 2:48 pm
Lizzy60 wrote: March 24th, 2023, 2:34 pm We welcome you to join with millions of people worldwide to hear inspiring messages of hope and renewal
We should be hearing messages about repenting and warning of things coming.
Honestly I think that is going to be done increasingly on a local level and less so from a general level.

We would hate the ESG scores to be affected at EPA...

TwochurchesOnly
captain of 1,000

Lizzy60 wrote: March 24th, 2023, 2:34 pm This was posted by my Stake in Texas on its Facebook page.

Free, huh?? Well then, that otta bring on the crowds!
They could put everyone up in hotels/all expense paid trip -including airfare - I still wouldn't attend- nor listen to them

I'm relying on my fellow forum posters to give me the scoop, I can't stomach it straight from the source !
Even reminded of the opening scenes panning the Tsquare buildings and springtime and voice of the announcer "... semi-annual general conference of the... Bonneville.. NO recordings, Transcriptions.. blah blah prohibited " makes me sick
Last edited by TwochurchesOnly on March 25th, 2023, 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

HereWeGo
captain of 1,000

Post by HereWeGo »

endlessQuestions wrote: March 24th, 2023, 2:29 pm Ours can’t even fill a baptismal session on a Friday night sometimes.
We attended a 5:30-6:00 pm session in Orlando when we were on vacation. There were less than 10 people on the session. WE ACTUALLY GOT TO BE THE WITNESS COUPLE! There were only 2 men there. We hadn't been the witness couple in our 20 years of marriage. I had never been part of the witness couple in my life. Temples in Utah were usually so full (pre pandemic). You had to know when to go to our temple, otherwise, you might end up having to wait for the next session because the chapel holds more people than the session does.

TwochurchesOnly
captain of 1,000

Welcome Jesus into your life - indeed
Join millions to hear living profit$ and apo$tle$ Tell you how you too can follow Jesus - all the way to the bank
It's a revival - All under the Big top - giant space ship ceiling ornament is going to open up at the end, to beam up all true followers who can endure to the last session
Get-out-of jail- free cards given to the first 100 attendees (can also be used to lower fines from any big gov entity)

TheDuke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by TheDuke »

Well, they announced a temple last time in Tacoma. Tacoma is maybe an hour from Seattle (temple in Bellevue). Seattle is one of the great big temples of the 80's. It seems empty most of the time, but I haven't been since pre-COVID for an endowment session. But, I know the 3 stakes here (Bellevue, Bellevue South and Renton) have shrunk from 8 to 5 wards each in last several years. Seems like a waste of money to me, bothers me a lot. I mean to save an hour or so?

I doubt I will listen. the last two times I listened. I was continually offended by something I felt was wrong in a talk (I'd say 70%), felt uplifted but not edified in 30% and felt the Lord talking to me, 3 times for less than 30 seconds each in both GC's of 4 sessions.

I will admit that I am not excited about getting a warm fuzzy, just a little doctrine.

BTW I think they wall say "follow the prophet"

TwochurchesOnly
captain of 1,000

JK4Woods wrote: March 24th, 2023, 2:45 pm

…. I’m thinking it’s the Tabernacle Choir at Temple Square…. after all words have meanings… and we are blocked in heavenly progression when we don’t please the Lord…
I've wondered about those tab choir members- the TBMs who wanted to sing/wear the ugly dresses soooo badly that they fell for the forced jab
Any casualties? Injuries? would anyone dare break ranks to tell ?

CuriousThinker
captain of 1,000

Post by CuriousThinker »

It being free is such a strange thing to highlight.

TwochurchesOnly
captain of 1,000

Subcomandante wrote: March 24th, 2023, 2:46 pm
Hosh wrote: March 24th, 2023, 2:42 pm

USA:

EUR:

AFR:

ASIA:
Osaka JP, Ullanbattar MN

CSA:

Members about 17.05M
ICR about 70k
Out of the 12 the one which my wife doesn't like the most is Bednar, and the one I don't like the most is Rasband. More for Rasband's associations prior to his call to the Apostleship, as well as some boneheaded things he's said of late.
"...doesn't like the most" !😁🤣

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

USA:

EUR:

AFR:

ASIA:
Osaka JP, Ullanbattar MN

CSA:

Members about 17.05M
ICR about 70k
I hope your Edinburgh temple prediction comes true. Italy won't get another temple yet. Maybe Poland.
I think you're too optimistic on membership growth. More like 0.5% at best.

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

CuriousThinker wrote: March 24th, 2023, 3:23 pm

I know. That’s why I did copy and paste. FREE in all-caps in the title was weird. Also the heavy use of exclamation points!!!! The links are to online sites. How would they charge for those? What church charges people for their Palm Sunday and Easter celebrations? Totally weird.

TheDuke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by TheDuke »

would like to know how many are active these days across the globe? Seems it used to be like 50% wasn't it? We're shrinking here, other places growing. Not sure how much of ours is people moving out (due to prices) and how much is inactive?

TheDuke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by TheDuke »

Lizzy60 wrote: March 24th, 2023, 3:29 pm
CuriousThinker wrote: March 24th, 2023, 3:23 pm

I know. That’s why I did copy and paste. FREE in all-caps in the title was weird. Also the heavy use of exclamation points!!!! The links are to online sites. How would they charge for those? What church charges people for their Palm Sunday and Easter celebrations? Totally weird.
does free mean no commericals?

The Red Pill
captain of 1,000

Post by The Red Pill »

My very short wish list...which WON'T happen:

1. Acknowledge that the Godsend is causing death and injury.

2. Come clean...and admit the church no longer needs ANY donations...including tithing.

3. Acknowledge that the Saints volumes are FICTION rather than a serious historical record of the truth.

HVDC
captain of 1,000

Post by HVDC »

Sign up now and receive two free entries into a Lottery to meet one of God's Special Emissaries on the Earth today!

Contact us now!

The Not Mormon's any more "Volunteers" are standing by to Chat with you!

Your Eternal™ Salvation™ depends on what you do in the next five minutes!*

Call, Text or give a little Whistle.

And like your favorite Superhero.

We will be there!

Will you?

Donkey rides for the kids!

*No temporal goods or services will be provided by this organization, by whatever name we may be known by, now or at any time in the future, including during the Millennium and/or in the Past should time travel become available to the masses.

Sir H, Sarcasm? Too Soon?

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Post by Subcomandante »

TheDuke wrote: March 24th, 2023, 3:31 pm would like to know how many are active these days across the globe? Seems it used to be like 50% wasn't it? We're shrinking here, other places growing. Not sure how much of ours is people moving out (due to prices) and how much is inactive?
The bulk of the membership growth is in three regions:

Africa
LatAm
Phillippines

Modest growth in Asia and Oceania, stagnant growth in the Gentile nations.

farmerchick
captain of 1,000

Post by farmerchick »

TheDuke wrote: March 24th, 2023, 3:18 pm Well, they announced a temple last time in Tacoma. Tacoma is maybe an hour from Seattle (temple in Bellevue). Seattle is one of the great big temples of the 80's. It seems empty most of the time, but I haven't been since pre-COVID for an endowment session. But, I know the 3 stakes here (Bellevue, Bellevue South and Renton) have shrunk from 8 to 5 wards each in last several years. Seems like a waste of money to me, bothers me a lot. I mean to save an hour or so?

I doubt I will listen. the last two times I listened. I was continually offended by something I felt was wrong in a talk (I'd say 70%), felt uplifted but not edified in 30% and felt the Lord talking to me, 3 times for less than 30 seconds each in both GC's of 4 sessions.

I will admit that I am not excited about getting a warm fuzzy, just a little doctrine.

BTW I think they wall say "follow the prophet"
Well in defense of the Tacoma temple...there are many members in sw Washington in Thurston Lewis Cowlitz pierce and south king county who are very glad they no longer have to fight traffic all the way up to Bellevue......js.....I hate the drive to Bellevue...

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

Subcomandante wrote: March 24th, 2023, 2:24 pm To be honest, in light of many things that have been revealed over the course of the last couple of months (COUGH SEC COUGH) my usual excitement for this event is not as much as in previous installments.

These two go hand-in-hand. It's called money laundering.

BTW, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to study 2 Nephi 28 and realize we took the wrong path on temple building from almost the very beginning. The Lord can worship in the most humble of abodes.