"Systemic Racism" is a Symptom of the Disease that Plagues the LDS Church - Institutional Abuse. Let's Cure the Disease.

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
endlessQuestions
Level 34 Illuminated

"Systemic Racism" is a Symptom of the Disease that Plagues the LDS Church - Institutional Abuse. Let's Cure the Disease.

Post by endlessQuestions »

Yesterday, some eagle-eyed sleuths pointed out that BYU's new President shot to the top largely upon his leading of BYU's "Race, Equity, and Belonging" Task Force.

Reluctant Watchman was kind enough to post a link to their work product, which I would like to analyze here on the forum:

https://race.byu.edu/00000177-d543-dfa9 ... eb-25-2021

Normally I don't offer my opinion up front, but in this case I would like to do just that:

My opinion is that this report is garbage, and not worthy of publication at any university. It is intellectually bankrupt, doctrinally deficient, and riddled with logical fallacies that can lead to nothing but incoherent arguments and irrational policy recommendations. It is an embarrassment to those of us who attended this university, but more importantly, an embarrassment to those of us who take our Christian discipleship seriously.

I would like to propose that the fundamental error with the report is that it takes a symptom of a much larger problem, and treats it as though it is the disease itself. Even taking the report at face value shows that there is no "systemic racism" at BYU, in any meaningful sense of the word. What there IS is institutional abuse that fails to properly support those individuals who are exposed to abusive behavior that manifests itself in the form of racism. So why don't we just treat the disease of institutional abuse, instead of focusing on the symptom of abusive, racist behaviors?

An analogy might be helpful here. If I went to the doctor and told him my respiratory system was failing, he might find a whole host of symptoms to treat. He might even come up with some really great policies and procedures for me to follow. He might throw a mask on my face, might tell me to get vaccinated against known respiratory diseases, might encourage me to be a good global citizen, might quarantine me, etc. But unless he analyzes what the root problem is, all his recommendations are worth the same as used toilet paper to me. Because, let's say, I was exposed to Agent Orange due to the actions of evil and conspiring men, and my disease had nothing to do with his recommendations.

So let's look at this work product that catapulted BYU's new leader to the forefront, shall we? And let's decide for ourselves, using logic, reason, and revelation, whether the real problem here is racism, or systemic institutional abuse that flows from BYU's charter organization, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, down into its child entities.

Ready?

Here we go.

endlessQuestions
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: "Systemic Racism" is a Symptom of the Disease that Plagues the LDS Church - Institutional Abuse. Let's Cure the Dise

Let's start with the Title Page of the Report.

Here we have a set of pictures. In one way, the pictures are representative, in that each individual pictured is the offspring of Heavenly Parents.

On the other hand, it is radically exclusionary. Even though they sucked the color out of the picture (very subtle, BYU, very, very subtle), we can still see that the people pictured only represent a miniscule fraction of the actual skin tones of people that attend at BYU. So for a group dedicated to inclusion and belonging, they've already done a poor job of including everybody and making everybody feel like they belong.

I, for one, don't feel included or feel any sense of belonging to the institution based on this title page. How about you?

endlessQuestions
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: "Systemic Racism" is a Symptom of the Disease that Plagues the LDS Church - Institutional Abuse. Let's Cure the Dise

The report begins with a syncophantic letter to the President of the University. Here's the first line:

"In June 2020, you directed the formation of the BYU Committee on Race, Equity, and Belonging. We are
grateful to have been appointed by you to serve on this important committee at this crucial time."

Here are a few questions to keep in mind:

1) What events occurred AT BYU that would cause the President of the University to feel he needed to use the sacred funds of the Church to form a committee on race, equity, and belonging. Remember, he's the President of BYU, not the UN. So he should be directing the activities of the university, based on what's happening at the university.

2) What makes this committee "important", and why is this time "crucial"? And, perhaps, if we really wanted to dig, whom is it that is communicating to these people that this time is "crucial"? I mean, claiming these things are true is one thing. Establishing the veracity of the claims is another. Let's see if they even attempt to provide proof for their claims, or if they simply demand we accept them, which is every abusive tyrant's fallback position.

endlessQuestions
Level 34 Illuminated

The next sentence is helpful:

'You charged us to review processes, policies, and organizational attitudes at BYU and to “root out
racism,” as advised by Church President Russell M. Nelson in his joint statement with the NAACP.'

Soooo, it appears President Russell M. Nelson was advising President Worthen, through his statement with the NAACP.

The nature of the NAACP and its mission and character has been well established elsewhere, so I'm not going to spend too much time on that here.

Let's look at the footnote the committee provides for us, though:

https://medium.com/@Ch_JesusChrist/lock ... 62180abf37

There is only so much time in a day, so I can't go through this message in its entirety, but it would probably be wise for you to go through it and critically think about the programming you're being asked to consume.

Here's the relevant part of the article, I think:

"We likewise call on government, business, and educational leaders at every level to review processes, laws, and organizational attitudes regarding racism and root them out once and for all."

So BYU and President Worthin are, indeed, responding to what they believe is a prophetic priority.

Did he or this committee pray to know whether it's one of the Lord's priorities, I wonder?

endlessQuestions
Level 34 Illuminated

"In setting the vision and mandate for our work, you urged us to seek strategies for historic, transformative change at
BYU in order to more fully realize the unity, love, equity, and belonging that should characterize our campus
culture and permeate our interactions as disciples of Jesus Christ."

Historic, transformative change.

Seems to be a pattern there worth observing.

endlessQuestions
Level 34 Illuminated

"Our work has included numerous meetings with students, alumni, faculty, staff, and administrators
as well as more than 500 online submissions of experiences and perspectives from members of the campus
community"

Shane Reese is a statistician.

So he should probably recognize that 500 submissions of "experiences and perspectives" probably indicates that using the term "systemic" may not be appropriate, if you want to have any kind of meaningful, data-driven conversation.

Of course, if he said that, he wouldn't be President of BYU at this point, now would he?

Since we're dealing with things that aren't real, perhaps we should note that 500 is 1.6666666% of 32,0000, which is the approximate number of students at BYU.

See how fun statistics can be?

endlessQuestions
Level 34 Illuminated

"We anticipate that realizing our aspiration to bring about historic, transformative
change will require a longstanding institutional commitment, searching internal reviews, and innovative
thinking from each sector of the university community. As a first step in this process, we have developed this initial report and a set of interim recommendations for your consideration."

I actually speak bureaucratese, so I will translate:

Translation: We like our new job and the attention it draws to us, and we intend to keep doing it for as long as you'll let us. Just keep the checks coming, please.
Last edited by endlessQuestions on March 22nd, 2023, 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

simpleton
captain of 1,000

Post by simpleton »

I pretty much figure that what ever is popular with the world is in opposition to God.
So you can pretty much take it for gospel, that anything the church does politically correct or otherwise, to be popular with society and the world, is in opposition to the same God they claim to worship.

After all, according to the Bible and BofM God is the one that painted people. :D

endlessQuestions
Level 34 Illuminated

It appears from this quote on page 7 of the report that our church leaders might be using General Conference to send out coordinated programmatic messages to culturally conditioned individuals in an effort to shape their attitudes and behavior:

"In an October 2020 general conference address, President Russell M. Nelson said, “Today I call upon our
members everywhere to lead out in abandoning attitudes and actions of prejudice. I plead with you to promote respect for all of God’s children.”2

At the same conference, President Dallin H. Oaks of the First
Presidency said that as citizens and members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, “we must do better to help root out racism.”3

Echoing the theme, Elder Quentin L. Cook of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles urged us to “celebrate diversity” as we seek to be unified, noting that “unity and diversity are not opposites. We can achieve greater unity as we foster an atmosphere of inclusion and respect for diversity.”

endlessQuestions
Level 34 Illuminated

"The current impetus to root out racism, build unity, and enhance diversity at Brigham Young University
has been motivated in part by the tragic killings of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, Ahmaud Arbery, and
others, which have laid bare the brutal costs of systemic injustice. These horrendous events prompted BYU
president Kevin J Worthen to state in June 2020:

We know there is work to do, on campus and throughout the nation, for us to better come together, to address
injustice and to truly love one another. It will take sustained effort from all of us to make things better. We remain
committed to doing that. We can do that in a unique way at BYU because of our understanding of the important
truth that each of us are children of heavenly parents.

BYU stands firmly against racism and violence in any form and is committed to promoting a culture of safety,
kindness, respect, and love.
"

So, let's set aside the disputed factual realities surrounding the deaths of the named individuals for the time being, not to mention what was horrendous about them or the fallout from the public attention they received. Did any of these things happen at BYU?

If not, why is the President of BYU spending sacred funds addressing them? Are there not any problems that need time and attention regarding things within his stewardship?

endlessQuestions
Level 34 Illuminated

p.7

"We have endeavored to carry out this charge to develop interim recommendations to achieve these aims through an ambitious schedule of meetings with key stakeholders, most significantly Black, indigenous, and other people of color (BIPOC) at BYU."

Say what?

What makes these people the most significant "key stakeholders"?

And why are we selectively "following the prophet"? Because did not President Nelson also say:

https://race.byu.edu/00000177-d543-dfa9 ... eb-25-2021

'President Nelson said the way young people think about who they really are affects nearly every decision they make. He said three identities should be their priorities:

“I believe that if the Lord were speaking to you directly tonight, the first thing he would make sure you understand is your true identity. My dear friends, you are literally spirit children of God.”
“Second, as a member of the church, you are a child of the covenant.”
“And third, you are a disciple of Jesus Christ.”'

Anyone see anything about identifying yourself as BIPOC in there?

Me either.

endlessQuestions
Level 34 Illuminated

p.7

"In the effort to identify the scope and effects of racism at BYU, we have invited the participation of students, faculty, alumni, staff, administrators, and other concerned members of the community; we have sought the input of a broad cross-section of the university community; we have listened to understand, to identify the ways in which the university has fallen short, and to identify the strategies that have been effective here and in other communities."

I will breathlessly await their findings on the scope and effects of racism at BYU.

Onward and forward.

endlessQuestions
Level 34 Illuminated

"We are pleased to submit 26 key recommendations based on our initial finding that BYU can do much more to support and promote the thriving of BIPOC students at BYU"

26. One for every other week of the year.

Maths is fun.

endlessQuestions
Level 34 Illuminated

"Among other important principles we learned in studying these issues, the most consequential and urgent is that many BIPOC students at BYU feel isolated and unsafe as a result of their experiences with racism at BYU".

Does anybody else wonder whether it's more important to understand if BIPOC students are ACTUALLY isolated and unsafe?

And I say this as someone who understands trauma, and trauma response. So I'm not saying we shouldn't pay attention to our brothers and sisters feelings. We should, since those feelings are likely due to institutional abuse, and not systemic racism. But if this is the most consequential and urgent finding of the report, perhaps we should reevaluate our investment.

endlessQuestions
Level 34 Illuminated

p.8

"Following President Worthen’s charge to the committee, we organized and drafted a mission statement (see
Appendix A, p. 56)"

We'll look at this later.

"It quickly became apparent that our mandate would require a sustained effort beyond the initial reporting period."

As it always does.

"To ensure continuity of institutional commitment to the issues raised by our mandate, we have proposed a charter (see Appendix B, p. 57)to the President’s Council with the recommendation that the Committee on Race, Equity, and Belonging be established as a standing committee of the university."

Because job security is good.

endlessQuestions
Level 34 Illuminated

"We have heard heartbreaking stories from individuals who have felt the pain of racism at BYU, and we have felt to mourn with those suffering from these wounds"

Let's take a moment to stop and recognize that there are very likely real incidents of racism at BYU.

And that addressing those issues, case by case, is an important work. And that the university bears the responsibility of that work, if the incident of racism can be tied directly to the university.

I'm glad the university gave these individuals the chance to share their stories, and hope they find healing through the application of the principles found in the gospel of Jesus Christ.

endlessQuestions
Level 34 Illuminated

"The recommendations we have developed are animated by our desire to improve the experience of BIPOC students at
BYU, to ensure their gifts are welcome here, and to heal the pain of injustice and discrimination they have
endured."

So far, we have no indication of what the scope of the problem is.

We have 500 messages, but no idea how many of them pointed out verified instances of racism, and how many of them were virtue-signaling comments made by perpetually guilt-ridden individuals who jump from "today's thing" to "tomorrow's thing" as easily as I change my underwear.

We have no concrete examples of actual injustice or discrimination.

We also have no indication of how much time and money was spent on these efforts.

So we can't do a proper cost/benefit analysis, can we?

endlessQuestions
Level 34 Illuminated

Next we find a very long quote from the child of a current Apostle and former President of BYU. I'm going to save most of this quote until the end, but want to address this part of it:

". . . There is much, much to celebrate and value from the past. But like a sorrowing soul that carries the wounds of youth, wounds that sometimes make even the most basic of relationships nearly impossible now, so our world is full of communities that carry such pain."

This is doctrinally problematic.

The whole purpose of the gospel of Jesus Christ is to teach people how to heal wounds that repair relationships.

If individuals or communities are carrying pain from the "wounds of their youth", the proper path forward is to preach the gospel to them, not come up with 26 policy recommendations that will inevitably fail.

Which, come to think of it, is kind of what the Church and BYU were asked by the Lord to do, wasn't it?

So why don't we do that, instead of this?

No, really.

Why?

endlessQuestions
Level 34 Illuminated

Ok, I need a break.

I'll be back later to continue.

madvin
captain of 1,000

Post by madvin »

endlessQuestions wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 10:26 am "Our work has included numerous meetings with students, alumni, faculty, staff, and administrators
as well as more than 500 online submissions of experiences and perspectives from members of the campus
community"

So not 500 random people submitting, but rather those whom have a vested interest in a certain outcome?

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Cruiserdude »

madvin wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 11:44 am
endlessQuestions wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 10:26 am "Our work has included numerous meetings with students, alumni, faculty, staff, and administrators
community"

So not 500 random people submitting, but rather those whom have a vested interest in a certain outcome?
¡No me digas! (You don't say!) I love that saying in Spanish for whatever reason...

endlessQuestions
Level 34 Illuminated

community"

Potentially.

In academia we call this "hiding the ball".

We also call it "self selection", which may or may not pass standards of academic rigor, depending on the study.

It's dishonest and shameful to create policy and procedure in this manner. And I would know, because I attended Pepperdine University's Masters of Public Policy program (didn't complete the program, though, do to a cheating scandal that wasn't, in my opinion, properly handled).

So far I haven't seen any footnote or link to the actual data, which is a huge red flag. More on that very soon.

madvin
captain of 1,000

Post by madvin »

Cruiserdude wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 11:47 am
community"

¡No me digas! (You don't say!) I love that saying in Spanish for whatever reason...
:lol:

endlessQuestions
Level 34 Illuminated

Okay.

During lunch I read the rest of the report.

I'm not sure it's worthwhile going page by page from here, for the following reason:

Out of the 64 page document, they have approximately a page and a half of summarized findings,

followed by a list of their recommendations

followed by a little over three pages in a section called "Findings"

followed by 12 pages of elaboration on their recommendations

followed by 8 pages of what we would call "filler" back in the day. You know, the stuff you tack on to a paper when you realize you haven't fulfilled the assignment and you desperately need stuff to make it look like you worked harder than you actually did?

I'm sure they would love it if we went through every recommendation, but that's a waste of time. Recommendations based on faulty reasoning should simply be discarded, not evaluated.

So let's look at the findings, and go from there.

endlessQuestions
Level 34 Illuminated

Overview of Findings starts on p.10 in my pdf

"As a committee, we have identified potential changes in policies, operations, culture, and organizations that
may not only improve the experience of BIPOC members of the campus community, but also better prepare
all students to identify and root out racism wherever it is found as they go forth from BYU to serve. In particular, we see a need for an urgent effort to enhance the sense of safety and belonging of BIPOC students
at BYU."

Again, are we worried about people's "sense of safety", which is an important but subjective, personal experience

or people's actual safety?

Because I promise, it's not just BIPOC students who don't have a sense of safety and belonging on campus. Indeed, that experience would be shared by every teenage child who comes to the university as they leave Mommy and Daddy for the first time, in an attempt to spread their wings and learn how to navigate the world alone.