The Significance of the Equinox (and Solstice) for Christians.

For non-mainstream, heterodoxical discussions. Request access to the Heretic Group here.
creator
(of the Forum)

The Significance of the Equinox (and Solstice) for Christians.

Post by creator »

endlessQuestions wrote: March 18th, 2023, 6:19 pm
creator wrote: March 18th, 2023, 6:10 pm It's not only the left hand path that observes the equinox and solstices.
It's also very significant to true Christianity.
Interesting. Do you have any sources on that, by chance? I would be very interested in digging a bit deeper.
As some expressed in a different thread, I agree this topic deserves it's own thread. Solstices and Equinoxes aren't just for pagans. It's more Christian than many people realize. I wouldn't consider myself an expert but I've looked into it enough to know there is significance but not enough to give a good lesson from memory on it. I've also experienced the spiritual significance for myself.

Everything that happens in the sky, in the heavens, has spiritual significance. The cycle of the year also relates to a breathing process of the Earth. There is significance to the cycles of the day, the weeks, seasons, etc.

"The simple standard definition of Easter is that it is the first Sunday after the full Moon that occurs on or after the spring equinox. If the full Moon falls on a Sunday then Easter is the next Sunday."

Some have written about these topics from an LDS perspective: Angels and higher spiritual beings don't relate to time in the same way we do, so it would make sense that more significant spiritual events happen closer to various dates and seasons of spiritual significance.

Rudolf Steiner and others have also said a lot about the significance.. And to answer OI's question, yes Swedenborg talked about this (but I don't have a specific quote/reference handy - I think it was addressed in his book "Heaven & Hell"). This video mentions it somewhat..

creator
(of the Forum)

Re: The Significance of the Equinox (and Solstice) for Christians.

Post by creator »

Here's a shorter 30 minute video on this topic.

https://youtu.be/8BJZl73GeOs?t=315

Skip to 5 minutes 15 seconds:

Peeps
captain of 1,000

Re: The Significance of the Equinox (and Solstice) for Christians.

Post by Peeps »

Jesus Christ raised Lazarus on an Equinox according to the Gospel account of John chapter 11.

5 Now Jesus loved Martha, and her sister, and Lazarus.

6 When he had heard therefore that he was sick, he abode two days still in the same place where he was.

7 Then after that saith he to his disciples, Let us go into Judaea again.

8 His disciples say unto him, Master, the Jews of late sought to stone thee; and goest thou thither again?

9 Jesus answered, Are there not twelve hours in the day? If any man walk in the day, he stumbleth not, because he seeth the light of this world.

10 But if a man walk in the night, he stumbleth, because there is no light in him.

11 These things said he: and after that he saith unto them, Our friend Lazarus sleepeth; but I go, that I may awake him out of sleep.