What does it take to be the Lord's anointed?

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
ransomme
captain of 1,000

What does it take to be the Lord's anointed?

Post by ransomme »

So, what does it take to be the Lord's anointed?

So Church Apostles do a secret sacred ritual to claim this? How are people to know?

In the scriptures not many were anointed, and they were mostly kings, high priests, etc.

I think to actually and truly be one of the Lord's anointed, one needs to actually have become a king or queen, attained that level of spirituality.
Last edited by ransomme on March 14th, 2023, 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

JK4Woods
captain of 1,000

Re: What does it take to be the Lord's anointed?

Post by JK4Woods »

Jesus Christ, the Messiah is the anointed One.

Others may include Adam, Noah, Moses, Abraham.

It’s a pretty big stretch to think any one else is “the Lord’s Annointed”

blitzinstripes
captain of 1,000

Post by blitzinstripes »

JK4Woods wrote: March 14th, 2023, 5:59 am Jesus Christ, the Messiah is the anointed One.

Heads of dispensations?

ransomme
captain of 1,000

Post by ransomme »

JK4Woods wrote: March 14th, 2023, 5:59 am Jesus Christ, the Messiah is the anointed One.

Yeah there are specific ones that foreshadowed Christ in a archetypal role of deliverer.

nightlight
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by nightlight »

The Holy Spirit anoints those who are chosen.
How do we know if someone is....?

By their fruits we know

It's silly to put a limit on how many or who can be these anointed. It's also silly to think a man is anointed just because of his office

“Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations.”
--------
Isaiah 61:1 - The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me; because the LORD hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek; he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound;
-----------

2 Corinthians 1:21 - Now he which stablisheth us with you in Christ, and hath anointed us, is God;
-----------
John 2
“But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.”

JK4Woods
captain of 1,000

Post by JK4Woods »

ransomme wrote: March 14th, 2023, 6:32 am

Yeah there are specific ones that foreshadowed Christ in a archetypal role of deliverer.

I think I’d put Brother of Jared and Nephi in that group.

ransomme
captain of 1,000

Post by ransomme »

JK4Woods wrote: March 14th, 2023, 7:50 am
ransomme wrote: March 14th, 2023, 6:32 am

I think I’d put Brother of Jared and Nephi in that group.
Kings and queens is Zion level, so I would interpret the Lord's anointed as people of the Church of the Firstborn.

ransomme
captain of 1,000

Post by ransomme »

nightlight wrote: March 14th, 2023, 7:27 am The Holy Spirit anoints those who are chosen.
How do we know if someone is....?

By their fruits we know

It's silly to put a limit on how many or who can be these anointed. It's also silly to think a man is anointed just because of his office

“Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations.”
--------
Isaiah 61:1 - The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me; because the LORD hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek; he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound;
-----------

2 Corinthians 1:21 - Now he which stablisheth us with you in Christ, and hath anointed us, is God;
-----------
John 2
“But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.”
There is a limit, 144k! 😲#theJW'swereright 😝

I know 144k is not a specific number, but it's they who have their anointings sealed so to speak. Firstborn.

Funny how I never really contemplated this before now. Man the precepts run deep and strong

Allison
captain of 1,000

Post by Allison »

I decided long ago that the Lord’s anointed were all who has received their washing and anointing in the temple, and that it would be a serious breach if I spoke ill of, basically anyone in my ward. Can you imagine the unity and love that would develop in our wards if we were all just worried about our own motes and no one else’s?

Shawn Henry
captain of 1,000

Post by Shawn Henry »

Are the Devil and his chieftains anointed and foreordained to their roles? I don't know.

I guess, anointed to what is the question. Any position, even the lowest, can have an anointment, so I don't see the significance. A blessing comes with an anointment.

Shawn Henry
captain of 1,000

Post by Shawn Henry »

Allison wrote: March 14th, 2023, 10:31 am I decided long ago that the Lord’s anointed were all who has received their washing and anointing in the temple, and that it would be a serious breach if I spoke ill of, basically anyone in my ward. Can you imagine the unity and love that would develop in our wards if we were all just worried about our own motes and no one else’s?
Allison, you just reminded me of the Incredibles. The villain wanted to make everyone an Incredible and therefore no one would be incredible. (except you're not a villain, lol)

Sidenote to Allison: Dave Weiss is going on the Kate Dalley show this week.

JLHPROF
captain of 1,000

Post by JLHPROF »

Allison wrote: March 14th, 2023, 10:31 am I decided long ago that the Lord’s anointed were all who has received their washing and anointing in the temple, and that it would be a serious breach if I spoke ill of, basically anyone in my ward. Can you imagine the unity and love that would develop in our wards if we were all just worried about our own motes and no one else’s?
I agree with this.
I also believe there are different levels of being anointed.

Washing and anointing would be the first.
Anointing as Kings and Queens would be second.
And even among these there is one who is BOTH anointed AND appointed.
Then there's the highest by the Savior.

But at what point is someone the Lord's anointed?

ransomme
captain of 1,000

Post by ransomme »

That mindset may help you with neighborly love 👍, but not with defining what it actually means.

Ordinances that we perform from baptism on up, are promises of future blessings once we have proven worthy and have maintained our covenant

Bronco73idi
captain of 1,000

Post by Bronco73idi »

Won’t the Holy Ghost tell you?

ransomme
captain of 1,000

Post by ransomme »

JLHPROF wrote: March 14th, 2023, 3:51 pm
I agree with this.
I also believe there are different levels of being anointed.

Washing and anointing would be the first.
Anointing as Kings and Queens would be second.
And even among these there is one who is BOTH anointed AND appointed.
Then there's the highest by the Savior.

But at what point is someone the Lord's anointed?
Our washing and anointings are preparatory and symbolic.

“Wash me throughly from mine iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin” (Psalms 51:2).

That we MAY become kinda kings and queens

Lowering the bar and being self-congratulatory are surefire ways to introduce false precepts and change the ordinances.

But yes I generally agree that there are levels, spiritual levels to progression. God's pattern is in kinds, types and shadows.
Last edited by ransomme on March 15th, 2023, 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

ransomme
captain of 1,000

Post by ransomme »

Bronco73idi wrote: March 15th, 2023, 12:49 am Won’t the Holy Ghost tell you?
That's what sparked this discussion.

Speaking generally, If one has to ask, it probably hasn't happened yet.

Dave62
destroyer of hopes & dreams

Post by Dave62 »

If you are looking for the anointed ones might I suggest you commence your search in Primary. For such is the Kingdom of Heaven.

ransomme
captain of 1,000

Post by ransomme »

Dave62 wrote: March 15th, 2023, 2:56 am If you are looking for the anointed ones might I suggest you commence your search in Primary. For such is the Kingdom of Heaven.
That would be a total misinterpretation of what's being taught. Children do not have the answers, we are to become His sons and daughters, who love Him and follow his counsel/commandments. This starts with the doctrine of Jesus the Messiah as illustrated by Adam at the end of Moses chapter 6.

64 And it came to pass, when the Lord had spoken with Adam, our father, that Adam cried unto the Lord, and he was caught away by the Spirit of the Lord, and was carried down into the water, and was laid under the water, and was brought forth out of the water. 65 And thus he was baptized, and the Spirit of God descended upon him, and thus he was born of the Spirit, and became quickened in the inner man. 66 And he heard a voice out of heaven, saying: Thou art baptized with fire, and with the Holy Ghost. This is the record of the Father, and the Son, from henceforth and forever; 67 And thou art after the order of him who was without beginning of days or end of years, from all eternity to all eternity. 68 Behold, thou art one in me, a son of God; and thus may all become my sons. Amen.

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Post by Subcomandante »

ransomme wrote: March 14th, 2023, 5:56 am So, what does it take to be the Lord's anointed?

So Church Apostles do a secret sacred ritual to claim this? How are people to know?

In the scriptures not many were anointed, and they were mostly kings, high priests, etc.

I think to actually and truly be one of the Lord's anointed, one needs to actually have become a king or queen, attained that level of spirituality.
"We believe that a man must be called of God, by prophecy, and by the laying on of hands by those who are in authority, to preach the Gospel and administer in the ordinances thereof."

That's the first step.

The responsibilities of a Seventy and an Apostle are higher still. To be a special witness of the name of Christ carries a heavy burden. To assist the Apostles in this work directly is also quite a burden.

ransomme
captain of 1,000

Post by ransomme »

Subcomandante wrote: March 15th, 2023, 9:24 am
ransomme wrote: March 14th, 2023, 5:56 am So, what does it take to be the Lord's anointed?

"We believe that a man must be called of God, by prophecy, and by the laying on of hands by those who are in authority, to preach the Gospel and administer in the ordinances thereof."

That's the first step.

The responsibilities of a Seventy and an Apostle are higher still. To be a special witness of the name of Christ carries a heavy burden. To assist the Apostles in this work directly is also quite a burden.
That does not mean "the Lord's anointed". Not to mention that many are called but few are chosen.

Even Jesus selected His apostles and one was a devil.

Not even an apostle means being anointed. Thanks for pointing that out clearly.

simpleton
captain of 1,000

Post by simpleton »

It takes to be called by the Lord Himself, period. Now some few men are legally authorized to do the actual "anointing", but that should only be done with the Lord's direct approval, as any other way is not legit.

Dusty Wanderer
captain of 1,000

Post by Dusty Wanderer »

Another vote here for a much broader meaning for being anointed. But only in the sense that a fetus in the womb is no less a baby than it is when finally born.

I find it interesting that the Old Testament, particularly Leviticus, makes a distinction between being a priest and being anointed (eg. Lev. 4:16).

In other places it is simply used as chosen (eg. Lev. 7:36) and others as sanctified. I like the language of D&C 121 in speaking about being chosen, “distil upon thy soul as the dews from heaven.”

Isa. 61
1 The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me; because the LORD hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek; he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound;
Acts 4
38 How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power: who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil; for God was with him.
Then there’s the imagery of being healed through anointment. Having one’s blind eyes anointed and then being able to see. (cf. John 9:6-11)

In the Kirtland Temple dedicatory prayer, all those present were referred to as “thine anointed ones”. (cf. D&C 109:80) Earlier in the prayer, "that they may grow up in thee, and receive a fulness of the Holy Ghost".

Going back to my first statement, it seems like in the broadest sense, the Lord’s anointed may simply be those who have entered into the gospel covenant through baptism.

It has been noted above (Allison) that it could mean all temple endowed, which I agree with in the sense that the endowment rite is symbolic of things realized literally through living the doctrine of Christ. Endowed with power from on high - receiving the First Comforter line upon line until one beholds the face of the Second.

“The anointing and sealing is to be called, elected, and made sure.” Joseph Smith, Jr.

ransomme
captain of 1,000

Post by ransomme »

Dusty Wanderer wrote: March 15th, 2023, 8:35 pm Another vote here for a much broader meaning for being anointed. But only in the sense that a fetus in the womb is no less a baby than it is when finally born.

I find it interesting that the Old Testament, particularly Leviticus, makes a distinction between being a priest and being anointed (eg. Lev. 4:16).

In other places it is simply used as chosen (eg. Lev. 7:36) and others as sanctified. I like the language of D&C 121 in speaking about being chosen, “distil upon thy soul as the dews from heaven.”

Isa. 61
1 The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me; because the LORD hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek; he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound;
Acts 4
38 How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power: who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil; for God was with him.
Then there’s the imagery of being healed through anointment. Having one’s blind eyes anointed and then being able to see. (cf. John 9:6-11)

In the Kirtland Temple dedicatory prayer, all those present were referred to as “thine anointed ones”. (cf. D&C 109:80) Earlier in the prayer, "that they may grow up in thee, and receive a fulness of the Holy Ghost".

Going back to my first statement, it seems like in the broadest sense, the Lord’s anointed may simply be those who have entered into the gospel covenant through baptism.

It has been noted above (Allison) that it could mean all temple endowed, which I agree with in the sense that the endowment rite is symbolic of things realized literally through living the doctrine of Christ. Endowed with power from on high - receiving the First Comforter line upon line until one beholds the face of the Second.

Seems like you are saying that at the very least one needs to have had a baptism of fire and exhibit gifts of the spirit.
“The anointing and sealing is to be called, elected, and made sure.” Joseph Smith, Jr.
Was Joseph not saying this?
The anointing and sealing is to be called, (and then one needs to be) elected, and (finally that election needs to be) made sure.

A type of growing from grace to grace?

John Tavner
captain of 1,000

Post by John Tavner »

ransomme wrote: March 17th, 2023, 12:59 am
Dusty Wanderer wrote: March 15th, 2023, 8:35 pm Another vote here for a much broader meaning for being anointed. But only in the sense that a fetus in the womb is no less a baby than it is when finally born.

Isa. 61
Acts 4

Seems like you are saying that at the very least one needs to have had a baptism of fire and exhibit gifts of the spirit.
The anointing and sealing is to be called, (and then one needs to be) elected, and (finally that election needs to be) made sure.

He is quoting/ summarizing Peter. 1 Peter “Brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: Peter explains it pretty well. 2 Peter chapter 1. He is talking to those who have been called and elected (believers of Chrsit who were anointed by the Holy Ghost when it fell upon them) He shares how to "confirm" or "Make it sure" meaning live your life in such a way it demonstrates the anointing you've received. Really good chapter.

1 John 2:20~ But you have an anointing from the Holy One, and you all have knowledge.
1 John 2:27~ But the anointing that you received from him remains in you, and you have no need that anyone should teach you. But as his anointing teaches you about everything, and is true, and is no lie—just as it has taught you, abide in him.
John 14:26 26But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have told you.
2 Cor 1:22 21Now it is God who establishes both us and you in Christ. He anointed us (believers), 22 placed His seal on us, and put His Spirit in our hearts as a pledge of what is to come.

ransomme
captain of 1,000

Post by ransomme »

John Tavner wrote: March 17th, 2023, 6:53 am
ransomme wrote: March 17th, 2023, 12:59 am

Isa. 61
Acts 4

He is quoting/ summarizing Peter. 1 Peter “Brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: Peter explains it pretty well. 2 Peter chapter 1. He is talking to those who have been called and elected (believers of Chrsit who were anointed by the Holy Ghost when it fell upon them) He shares how to "confirm" or "Make it sure" meaning live your life in such a way it demonstrates the anointing you've received. Really good chapter.

1 John 2:20~ But you have an anointing from the Holy One, and you all have knowledge.
1 John 2:27~ But the anointing that you received from him remains in you, and you have no need that anyone should teach you. But as his anointing teaches you about everything, and is true, and is no lie—just as it has taught you, abide in him.
John 14:26 26But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have told you.
2 Cor 1:22 21Now it is God who establishes both us and you in Christ. He anointed us (believers), 22 placed His seal on us, and put His Spirit in our hearts as a pledge of what is to come.
Yes I realize what Joseph is referring to. The things that Joseph said about C&E were greatly inspired by his work on the inspired version of the Bible. In fact, I quoted 2 Peter 1:1-11 last week I'm my elders' quorum lesson.

It's more than only being born again, and receiving a baptism of fire.

Joseph Smith said: “Though they might hear the voice of God and know that Jesus was the Son of God, this would be no evidence that their election and calling was made sure. … They then would want that more sure word of prophecy, that they were sealed in the heavens and had the promise of eternal life in the kingdom of God. Then, having this promise sealed unto them, it was an anchor to the soul, sure and steadfast. Though the thunders might roll and lightnings flash, and earthquakes bellow, and war gather thick around, yet this hope and knowledge would support the soul in every hour of trial, trouble and tribulation.” (Teachings, p. 298.)

“The more sure word of prophecy means a man’s knowing that he is sealed up unto eternal life, by revelation and the spirit of prophecy, through the power of the Holy Priesthood.” (D&C 131:5.)

Example in scripture:
Nephi in chapter 10 in the book of Helaman. It is becoming Firstborn, receiving the sealing power.

We have to "become partakers of divine nature"
Screenshot_20230317-160834~2.jpg
Screenshot_20230317-160834~2.jpg (387.25 KiB) Viewed 123 times
Attachments
JS q 01.PNG
JS q 01.PNG (193.36 KiB) Viewed 123 times