The Miracle of Archibald Gardner Crossing the Ice Flow(great info.).

Discuss the last days, Zion, second coming, emergency preparedness, alternative health, etc.
kirtland r.m.
Level 34 Illuminated

The Miracle of Archibald Gardner Crossing the Ice Flow(great info.).

Post by kirtland r.m. »

Archibald Gardner built a Mill just about two miles from my house in West Jordan, Utah. He was a very kind member of the church. He once allowed people traveling west to use his well to water their animals, and they repaid him by poisoning his water. The following experiences are in his own words and the include quite a miracle as you will see. Here is a portion of his experiences.

Journal of Archibald Gardner

Trusting in the Lord to preserve us all until we should meet again, I started for Port Sarnia on the St. Clair River after dark. I traveled thirty miles and arrived at daybreak next morning. It was about the first of March [1846]. Down to the river I went expecting to cross on the ice. It had give way, to my awful disappointment, and was crowding out of Lake Huron. Cakes of it were rising on edge, sometimes ten feet high. A little piece of bay remained unbroken and I started out on this. My mind was filled with thoughts of home and loved ones whom I was leaving as an exile. Aroused from my reverie by a cry of alarm, I looked up to see that the ice on which I was standing was all a tremble. Across the river, people from Black River village were shouting and waving hats and handkerchiefs for me to go back. I could see down the St. Clair for about ten miles. It was all in motion. The sight fascinated me. When the crowding of the running ice raised the solid ice under my feet, I was obliged to retreat to shore. I climbed up the bank at a point twenty feet above the river and again gazed over the rolling mass which was traveling at a rate of seven miles per hour—at least that is the river’s velocity at this point.

“Up the street I went for John Anderson who had accompanied me. I gave him ten dollars of the fifty I had brought along. I requested him to return to my folks and report my safe passage across the angry stream.

“I went down to the river bank and this is the prayer I uttered: “O Lord, God of ancient Israel, Thou knowest the desires of Thy servant’s heart and that I have not done wrong but seek to keep Thy commandments. And as I am fleeing from mine enemies that I may gather with Thy saints, wilt Thou have mercy on Thy servant and stop this ice that I may not fall into the hands of mine enemies? Amen.”

“And then—all fear vanished. I felt the power of faith as I had never felt it before. I started. The sun by this time had lighted up the tall pines behind the village across the river to the west. Now the crowd which was watching my movements from the high ground again began to shout. I stepped to the edge of the unbroken ice. The noise of grinding masses of ice in the river, which up to this time had sounded like a great waterfall, ceased. Nothing could be heard save the shouting of the inhabitants of Black River. To read the additional info. use this link and scroll down a few stories.https://thefairestgem.com/category/rest ... /miracles/
Source: Delila Gardner Hughes. The Life of Archibald Gardner. West Jordan, Utah: The Archibald Gardner Family Genealogical Association, 1939, pp.

kirtland r.m.
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: The Miracle of Archibald Gardner Crossing the Ice Flow(great info.).

Post by kirtland r.m. »

On February 18, 1839, Archibald Gardner married Margaret Livingston in Brooke. Archibald Gardner was baptized into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints in April 1845. Under business pressure and persecution, based on his joining the LDS Church, Gardner sold his Alvinston area mills at a reduced price and sent his family to America. Archibald fled Canada in 1846 after his affairs were in order. He was chased by the local sheriff and posse and forced to cross a dangerous river, St. Clair River by Lake Huron. Knowing his fate if he stayed in Canada, Archibald crossed the cold, icy river resulting in a miraculous escape to the United States.[1]

In St. Louis, Missouri, Archibald met up with his family then traveled to Nauvoo, Illinois, only to find the LDS Saints driven out. After replenishing their packs the Gardner family headed to Winter Quarters where Archibald's daughter Janet died (October 10, 1846). Two years before on the same day Archibald's son also named Archibald died of the same illness at the same age.[3]

Archibald built 36 gristmills and lumber mills[1] — 23 in Utah, 6 in Canada, 5 in Wyoming, and 2 in Idaho — greatly benefiting the lives of those in the surrounding areas. Archibald also built hundreds of miles of canals to introduce the flow of water to the mills' apparatus.

In June 1847 the family started their trek to the Rocky Mountains in Bishop Hunter's Company arriving October 1, 1847. John Taylor, at the time a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles also traveled in Archibald's company.[5]

The Salt Lake Temple

The Latter-day Saint Salt Lake Temple foundation was laid in 1855. However, cracks and defects in the foundation put the plans to a halt. The President of the Latter-day Saints, Brigham Young and his advisers knew the foundation wouldn't sustain the weight of the temple. President Young seeking revelation said "Here I shall remain until the Lord reveals to me what I should do next", spotting Archibald, Brigham said "Bishop, sit down" telling Archibald of the issue and asking him what could be done. After listening Archibald calmly explained, "the trouble has arisen through the use of too much mortar. This time instead of using mortar, have each and all of the stones in the entire building cut to exact measurement and place stone upon stone with precise fittings. This will prevent cracking, settling or spreading in any way". To this President Brigham Young exclaimed, "Brother Gardner, you are right. That is my revelation". To this day, almost 150 years later, the Salt Lake City, LDS temple still stands. Clarence Gardner, son of Archibald Gardner believes this was a revelation from God, "Because he [Archibald] had spent his life working out problems along practical lines. His past experiences made him equal to the occasion."[5]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archibald_Gardner

Some of the church leaders had some personal revelation that the Salt Lake Temple would be made of granite, however President Young may not have been given some details of exactly how to construct it as appears to be shown in post above if accurate. I have put up many historical quotes from Joseph Smith and others showing that he(Brigham) was indeed to be the second president and prophet of this dispensation.

dreamtheater76
captain of 100

Re: The Miracle of Archibald Gardner Crossing the Ice Flow(great info.).

Post by dreamtheater76 »

I grew up not too far from Gardner Village. Really easy to get there through the Jordan Walkway now where I like to walk a few times a year but have to drive there now because I live on the other side of the city I grew up in.

Didn't know any of the history so this will change everything when I think Archibald and Gardner Village now. Always enjoy your posts and learn something new every time.
Really good stuff.