The transfiguration of Brigham Young? We currently have access to 141 accounts of the event.

Discuss the last days, Zion, second coming, emergency preparedness, alternative health, etc.
Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: The transfiguration of Brigham Young? We currently have access to 141 accounts of the event.

Post by Robin Hood »

JohnnyL wrote: March 24th, 2023, 2:56 pm
Robin Hood wrote: March 24th, 2023, 3:01 am
tmac wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 5:38 pm

I understand you have your opinion, and you are entitled to it.

Just curious, though, in your opinion, who should the successor to Joseph Smith have been? And, how do you arrive at that conclusion?
I'll have a stab at answering that.
In my view the ultimate successor should have been Joseph Smith III. This was Joseph's plan and he clearly did designate his eldest son as his successor as president of the church.
Initially, it seems Brigham understood that this would be the case, which is why it was the Twelve who led the church, with no church president being appointed. Even Rigdon understood that he should be no more than a guardian until JSIII came of age.
But succeeding Joseph as president of the church was not necessarily synonymous with succeeding him as president of the High Priesthood, nor of being a genuine prophet, seer and revelator. That was a different matter entirely.

So we are left with an apostolic administration; and the fact that they organise themselves into two groups of three and twelve is neither here nor there.
IIRC (I posted this before somewhere on here), summed up: President Young had asked President Smith's sons, but only one responded positively; his family put him in a mad house before he left to join the Saints.
It is true that Brigham had high hopes for David. When the brothers went to Utah they were quite the celebrities. Joseph and Alexander blotted their copy book with Brigham because they held their ground and wouldn't recognise his authority or accept his claim that plural marriage originated with their father.
But David was a different kettle of fish altogether. He was very popular amongst the Saints in SLC because he was so like his father. His mannerisms and speech were very reminiscent of Joseph Smith Jun., and he had an endearing charm and charisma, again like his father. In short, David went down very well with the Utah Mormons. Even Brigham liked him.
But it is clear that he later developed a debilitating depression and mental illness which resulted in him being admitted to a mental sanatorium, where he stayed for around 30 years until his death.
His sad letters to his mother are very moving.

CaptainM
captain of 100

Re: The transfiguration of Brigham Young? We currently have access to 141 accounts of the event.

Post by CaptainM »

Here is some interesting research about the subject:
According to the researcher is is contrived.

Could we have been tricked AGAIN?