Hershey Has Gone Woke

Discuss political news items / current events.
MikeMaillet
captain of 1,000

Hershey Has Gone Woke

Post by MikeMaillet »

I saw several news stories this morning about Hershey and their new ad campaign that includes a transgendered "woman". I worked for Hershey Canada for 14 years and the news was very disappointing. I have several issues with this campaign:

1) Companies are no longer happy to just make good products and sell them at a profit. They somehow feel that they must preach values to their customers these days, kind of like Gillette with their toxic masculinity ads.

2) Hershey products appeal to kids as well as adults and now Hershey is sexualizing a product that appeals to children. It's a quick step to rainbow wrappers that carry slogans such as, Love is Love.

I fired off a quick and blunt complaint to the company that will fall on deaf ears. I can tell you that I no longer use Gillette products and as much as my grand-kids lover Hershey Eggies, it will be the Cadbury version that they will get at Grandpa's house.

I encourage you all to boycott Hershey, the all-American chocolate company. Milton is rolling in his grave!

Mike

Christianlee
captain of 1,000

Re: Hershey Has Gone Woke

Post by Christianlee »

Boycott Mars too. It is just as woke. And the corporation that owns Cadbury is behind LGBT Oreos in June. We may have to limit ourselves to unprocessed foods made by local farmers.

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Cruiserdude »

Christianlee wrote: March 3rd, 2023, 7:30 am Boycott Mars too. It is just as woke. And the corporation that owns Cadbury is behind LGBT Oreos in June. We may have to limit ourselves to unprocessed foods made by local farmers.
Yep, that's part of the answer. There are local farmers markets every place I've lived. Use them.

LostCreekAcres
captain of 100

Post by LostCreekAcres »

Jeremy's Chocolate - ha ha
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww5Lf97hXQM

Ihatehersheys.com

MikeMaillet
captain of 1,000

Post by MikeMaillet »

I was at my local Walmart yesterday and found a few cartons of the promotional bar but none of the bars had the face of the guy pretending to be a woman. There were bars with the other women but not the guy. I suspect the Hershey sales rep had already made a quick trip to the store.

Mike

Christianlee
captain of 1,000

Post by Christianlee »

MikeMaillet wrote: March 8th, 2023, 9:03 am I was at my local Walmart yesterday and found a few cartons of the promotional bar but none of the bars had the face of the guy pretending to be a woman. There were bars with the other women but not the guy. I suspect the Hershey sales rep had already made a quick trip to the store.

Mike
Doesn’t matter. Traded my daily Hershey bar for a Nestle’s Crunch.

MikeMaillet
captain of 1,000

Post by MikeMaillet »

If Hershey had wanted to make a splash they should have revealed the Caramilk secret. This would have been a lot more fun. I had actually suggested that years ago when I worked for them but Hershey makes Cadbury products for the US market and the company did not want to lose their lucrative deal with Cadbury.

Mike

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Christianlee wrote: March 8th, 2023, 9:07 am
MikeMaillet wrote: March 8th, 2023, 9:03 am I was at my local Walmart yesterday and found a few cartons of the promotional bar but none of the bars had the face of the guy pretending to be a woman. There were bars with the other women but not the guy. I suspect the Hershey sales rep had already made a quick trip to the store.

Mike
You should read up on Nestlé too.

Christianlee
captain of 1,000

Post by Christianlee »

Niemand wrote: March 8th, 2023, 3:41 pm
Christianlee wrote: March 8th, 2023, 9:07 am

Mike
You should read up on Nestlé too.
I’m sure all of these companies are woke. Can’t just ditch chocolate so one or two at a time. Hershey and Mars for now.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Christianlee wrote: March 8th, 2023, 3:46 pm I’m sure all of these companies are woke. Can’t just ditch chocolate so one or two at a time. Hershey and Mars for now.
Not specifically thinking of the woke thing (no doubt they are), but they are notorious for abusive labour and trading practices, and for being enthusiastic about globalism.

Christianlee
captain of 1,000

Post by Christianlee »

Niemand wrote: March 8th, 2023, 3:55 pm
Christianlee wrote: March 8th, 2023, 3:46 pm I’m sure all of these companies are woke. Can’t just ditch chocolate so one or two at a time. Hershey and Mars for now.
Not specifically thinking of the woke thing (no doubt they are), but they are notorious for abusive labour and trading practices, and for being enthusiastic about globalism.
I am sure they all are.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Christianlee wrote: March 8th, 2023, 3:56 pm
Niemand wrote: March 8th, 2023, 3:55 pm
I am sure they all are.
The impetus for the Nestlé baby milk scandal cane from the left but it was not without justification. They tried to persuade mothers to use their baby formula in some cases instead of breast feeding, with the result that some babies developed meningitis and worse.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1977_Nestl%C3%A9_boycott

dreamtheater76
captain of 100

Post by dreamtheater76 »

Hershey's is the only reason I ever accepted Nestle as being chocolate. I didn't even like Hershey's when I was a child and thought it tasted like dirt. It's amazing what passes for food.

Say what?
captain of 100

Post by Say what? »

I’m glad they made a vegan bar but to sell a transgender bar is twixting the laws of nature.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

dreamtheater76 wrote: March 8th, 2023, 4:33 pm Hershey's is the only reason I ever accepted Nestle as being chocolate. I didn't even like Hershey's when I was a child and thought it tasted like dirt. It's amazing what passes for food.
I tried a Hershey bar the first time I visited the USA. I had heard of them via films and books. It tasted like vomit with a vile aftertaste.

HVDC
captain of 1,000

Post by HVDC »

Niemand wrote: March 8th, 2023, 5:15 pm
dreamtheater76 wrote: March 8th, 2023, 4:33 pm Hershey's is the only reason I ever accepted Nestle as being chocolate. I didn't even like Hershey's when I was a child and thought it tasted like dirt. It's amazing what passes for food.
I tried a Hershey bar the first time I visited the USA. I had heard of them via films and books. It tasted like vomit with a vile aftertaste.
Might have said this before.

When I went to Japan.

They had lots of different candies I enjoyed trying.

But their chocolate was melt in your mouth.

Then I went to Germany.

America chocolate isn't.

Almost never subject my taste buds to that crap.

Luckily.

Internet.

Sir H

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Say what? wrote: March 8th, 2023, 4:36 pm I’m glad they made a vegan bar but to sell a transgender bar is twixting the laws of nature.
I saw what you did there.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

This reminds me of a marketing stunt Yorkie bars pulled a number of years ago. They produced a series of adverts saying "It's not for girls", which produced an inevitable backlash, lots of free advertising, and a pink version for girls.

MikeMaillet
captain of 1,000

Post by MikeMaillet »

HVDC wrote: March 8th, 2023, 8:48 pm

When I went to Japan.

Then I went to Germany.

America chocolate isn't.

Luckily.

Internet.

Sir H
There are a couple of reasons the American/Canadian chocolate is bad:

1) The chocolate is not conched in order to save time. Conching is a process that allows the chocolate paste to rid itself of volatile flavours and it also affects viscosity properties that lead to a better mouthfeel. The viscosity is affected by many things and conching creates more fine particles that lead to a smoother feeling in your mouth. When I worked at Hershey Canada we conched the good stuff for 24 hours using the old granite roller type of conche. After a few years the conches were bypassed in order to increase throughput and I remember the company being very hesitant about that decision.

2) Cheaper chocolates are coarser and this leads to a gritty mouthfeel. Chocolate paste is refined in refiners that use steel rolls that spin one against the other. One roll turns faster than the other and the liquid paste is poured in the nip of the rolls where it is sheared into finer particles. The finer the chocolate (smoother mouthfeel) the lower the throughput at the factory and the higher the cost.

3) Not everything that looks and tastes like chocolate is chocolate. Cocoa butter is used in the manufacture of chocolate and it ain't cheap. Replacement fats such as palm kernel oil are often substituted for cocoa butter due to cost savings. This is often done when making a bar that has strong tasting ingredients. Who is going to care how fine the chocolate is going to taste when your mouth is full of peanuts or cherries...? Manufacturers are not permitted to call these "compound" pastes, chocolate. Look at the label for words such as candy or chocolatey. The compound pastes are more difficult to temper and will melt more quickly in your hands, generally.

4) Cheaper ingredients. It costs money to get the finer cocoa beans...

I grew up north of the US border and I am not ashamed to admit that I like the American Hershey bars but it does not compare in any way to most European chocolates.

Mike

HVDC
captain of 1,000

Post by HVDC »

MikeMaillet wrote: March 9th, 2023, 12:38 pm
HVDC wrote: March 8th, 2023, 8:48 pm

When I went to Japan.

Then I went to Germany.

America chocolate isn't.

Luckily.

Internet.

Sir H
There are a couple of reasons the American/Canadian chocolate is bad:

1) The chocolate is not conched in order to save time. Conching is a process that allows the chocolate paste to rid itself of volatile flavours and it also affects viscosity properties that lead to a better mouthfeel. The viscosity is affected by many things and conching creates more fine particles that lead to a smoother feeling in your mouth. When I worked at Hershey Canada we conched the good stuff for 24 hours using the old granite roller type of conche. After a few years the conches were bypassed in order to increase throughput and I remember the company being very hesitant about that decision.

2) Cheaper chocolates are coarser and this leads to a gritty mouthfeel. Chocolate paste is refined in refiners that use steel rolls that spin one against the other. One roll turns faster than the other and the liquid paste is poured in the nip of the rolls where it is sheared into finer particles. The finer the chocolate (smoother mouthfeel) the lower the throughput at the factory and the higher the cost.

3) Not everything that looks and tastes like chocolate is chocolate. Cocoa butter is used in the manufacture of chocolate and it ain't cheap. Replacement fats such as palm kernel oil are often substituted for cocoa butter due to cost savings. This is often done when making a bar that has strong tasting ingredients. Who is going to care how fine the chocolate is going to taste when your mouth is full of peanuts or cherries...? Manufacturers are not permitted to call these "compound" pastes, chocolate. Look at the label for words such as candy or chocolatey. The compound pastes are more difficult to temper and will melt more quickly in your hands, generally.

4) Cheaper ingredients. It costs money to get the finer cocoa beans...

I grew up north of the US border and I am not ashamed to admit that I like the American Hershey bars but it does not compare in any way to most European chocolates.

Mike
Thanks for that Mike.

I have taken a turn or two on a production floor.

And worked with large rotating equipment.

So I appreciate the fine details.

Now I want some chocolate.

Sir H

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Nestlé's manufactured stooshie.