Room Clear - Why We Left Public Education to Homeschool

Discuss liberty related books, videos, audio, as well as downloadable resources.
Seed Starter
captain of 1,000

Room Clear - Why We Left Public Education to Homeschool

Post by Seed Starter »

Hi everyone, I have a gift for you. This has been a labor of love. I wrote a research journal that turned into a 400+ page book. I've kept this journal since 2019 in order to organize my thoughts about why homeschool is the best option for our family. I started asking myself tough questions about why I do what I do. I call it a research journal because it is a collection of anecdotal evidence, studies, recent and local news stories, key educational principles by other authors and a lot of editorial content. This book is and always will be FREE.

The pdf text is formatted for printing since I had a hardcover printed. I may optimize the pdf for web viewing at some point but it's ok for now. I include normal and archive url's as well as QR codes for the specially printed books I'm going to leave on the shelf at libraries, book drops, and wherever else I can think to drop them. This way if all one has is the physical book they can quickly hit the Q link to read the rest of the news story. I want this to help other parents easily know the risks of sending their children to public school. If they decide to send them anyway at least they have the information. If you're going to read this please start with the preface and author's note so you know how I organized the information. Yes, that's a pen name ;)

https://ia801609.us.archive.org/16/item ... %20Web.pdf

Last edited by Seed Starter on February 24th, 2023, 7:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Re: Room Clear - Why We Left Public Education to Homeschool

Post by Silver Pie »

I'm going to share this link with a group of people I know.

Seed Starter
captain of 1,000

Post by Seed Starter »

Silver Pie wrote: February 24th, 2023, 4:34 pm I'm going to share this link with a group of people I know.
Thank you! I'm sharing it here for the first time since a few people here have a testimony of homeschooling. I really dug in and packed as much evidence as I could in this thing. Had I added more stories from around the country this book would have easily passed 1,000 pages. I live in Utah so it is Utah-centric to an extent.

tmac
captain of 1,000

Post by tmac »

Seed Starter wrote: February 24th, 2023, 4:28 pm Hi everyone, I have a gift for you. This has been a labor of love. I wrote a research journal that turned into a 400+ page book. I've kept this journal since 2019 in order to organize my thoughts about why homeschool is the best option for our family. I started asking myself tough questions about why I do what I do. I call it a research journal because it is a collection of anecdotal evidence, studies, recent and local news stories, key educational principles by other authors and a lot of editorial content. This book is and always will be FREE.

The pdf text is formatted for printing since I had a hardcover printed. I may optimize the pdf for web viewing at some point but it's ok for now. I include normal and archive url's as well as QR codes for the specially printed books I'm going to leave on the shelf at libraries, book drops, and wherever else I can think to drop them. This way if all one has is the physical book they can quickly hit the Q link to read the rest of the news story. I want this to help other parents easily know the risks of sending their children to public school. If they decide to send them anyway at least they have the information. If you're going to read this please start with the preface and author's note so you know how I organized the information. Yes, that's a pen name ;)

https://ia601609.us.archive.org/16/item ... %20Web.pdf

Awesome! — and I don’t use that word often, or lightly. Well done.

Seed Starter
captain of 1,000

Post by Seed Starter »

tmac wrote: February 24th, 2023, 5:02 pm
Seed Starter wrote: February 24th, 2023, 4:28 pm Hi everyone, I have a gift for you. This has been a labor of love. I wrote a research journal that turned into a 400+ page book. I've kept this journal since 2019 in order to organize my thoughts about why homeschool is the best option for our family. I started asking myself tough questions about why I do what I do. I call it a research journal because it is a collection of anecdotal evidence, studies, recent and local news stories, key educational principles by other authors and a lot of editorial content. This book is and always will be FREE.

THANK YOU! I hope it will change hearts and minds on this topic. I'm going to upset some people with this :lol: Do you like my pen name?

FoundMyEden
captain of 1,000

Post by FoundMyEden »

It's on my reading list.

tmac
captain of 1,000

Post by tmac »

Seed Starter wrote: February 24th, 2023, 6:29 pm

THANK YOU! I hope it will change hearts and minds on this topic. I'm going to upset some people with this :lol: Do you like my pen name?
I'm kind of into pen names, and yes, I definitely like your's.

We home-schooled our kids, so this is a subject that is near and dear to our hearts too.

But the worst mistake we made was then sending them off to college, etc., where a lot of that whole effort was undone by the world.

Our youngest, son is an interesting case study. He was really slow to learn to read, and hated even home school. He would have really struggled in the public school system. By the time he was about 15 he had completely had it, so he just took the GED and was done. No SAT, ACT, or anything. But unfortunately, his mission presidents convinced him that he would be a second class citizen the rest of his life if he didn't graduate not just from college, but from BYU, and then continue on and get as much education as possible. So, he had to go to UVU for two years, and do well enough to get accepted at BYU, and finish there. Now he's number one in his law school class in Texas, but all of it has mostly undone a lot of what we tried to do with homeschooling, as it has with our other kids as well.

So, that's something to think about.

God bless and God's speed in your efforts.

Seed Starter
captain of 1,000

Post by Seed Starter »

FYI, I update the link above. Instead of reading in the archive.org viewer please download the pdf so the links work.

HVDC
captain of 1,000

Post by HVDC »

tmac wrote: February 24th, 2023, 6:57 pm

We home-schooled our kids, so this is a subject that is near and dear to our hearts too.

But the worst mistake we made was then sending them off to college, etc., where a lot of that whole effort was undone by the world.

Our youngest, son is an interesting case study. He was really slow to learn to read, and hated even home school. He would have really struggled in the public school system. By the time he was about 15 he had completely had it, so he just took the GED and was done. No SAT, ACT, or anything. But unfortunately, his mission presidents convinced him that he would be a second class citizen the rest of his life if he didn't graduate not just from college, but from BYU, and then continue on and get as much education as possible. So, he had to go to UVU for two years, and do well enough to get accepted at BYU, and finish there. Now he's number one in his law school class in Texas, but all of it has mostly undone a lot of what we tried to do with homeschooling, as it has with our other kids as well.

Similar experience.

Similar results.

Change a few things I would.

Sir H

Seed Starter
captain of 1,000

Post by Seed Starter »

tmac wrote: February 24th, 2023, 6:57 pm

I feel like I need to say more about your story. I think it illustrates a couple of important things.

1. Homeschool is no guarantee that your child will be left untouched by the distractions of worldly things.
2. As you pointed out that your son hated "school" and would have struggled in PS. You saved him from that struggle even though no system would have benefited him in a way that is easy to recognize. The fact that he went on to be #1 in his law school through his own will, determination, and hard work is not what most PS apologists and in your case mission presidents would predict. Agency in education is vital and not well-honored in many education systems. The guiding principle in most schools when a child isn't interested is that we need to be afraid. Very afraid! Push that kid harder they say. You don't want to ruin your child's life do you?
3. Even without knowing your son I think he would have made something of himself even without law school. When an adult child decides to do something it is hard to stop them.

I'm happy for your son proving any naysayers wrong. I'm sad that he's struggling with a few things you would prefer he didn't due to your teachings but he at least has something to return to on that front should he choose. My adult son would fit into struggling a bit as well. My wife and I try to be patient. I appreciate you posting this story. I wish your family the best. And props to you for being willing to teach your son at home. I was a slow reader as well. My weakness became my strength. I hear law school requires a fair bit of reading and high-level comprehension.

harakim
captain of 1,000

Post by harakim »

Room Clear
"join the PTA we get pats on the back
but if we decide to spend even more time and energy finding teachers and curriculum outside of
the public system we are seen by some as freaks"

I think in the one case, you are seen supporting the system and in the other, you're seen as
not having faith in the system. So it's your lack of blind faith in the system that is
disturbing and not the level of commitment. It's hard for people with blind faith suppressing doubts to see
people who do not have the blind faith because it means they should probably question their beliefs,
which they don't want to do. Somehow they have learned blind faith in authority is essential for their
survival and people will not go against their survival brain easily.

Room Clear
I'm sure room clear came from the tactical usage. I wonder if it's just due to the origin of the room clear policy or if the schools are trying to familiarize children with that kind of behavior. That way when they're adults, if the government needs to come get someone in a workplace (maybe for criticizing the government), the former students will already be conditioned on how to behave.

“In nearly every single story of negligence, the district or contractor reiterates how important safety is to them. They have a safety team who was immediately dispatched? Does this happen enough to warrant the full-time employment of a team? “

That made me laugh

“The “special” tactical team took 75 minutes to breach the door while the children bled to
death! Some parents were hand-cuffed, tased, pepper sprayed, or tackled by law enforcement
because they were telling officers to go into the school to save the kids and some even tried to
go into the school themselves. Kids were inside bleeding to death and waiting for help. “

That is more common than people think. I saw this type of thing happen first hand in one of my previous occupations. It goes back to your earlier point about the PTA. They want you making the school look good, but they don't want you making the school look bad. If you make the police department (or other government agency) look bad, they'll arrest you or worse. I can't say I understand the psychology but I have seen it play out enough to know that it's a standard practice. So, because the agency exists, you lose your right to solve the problem.

“a federal judge ruled that law enforcement and school
officials had no legal duty to protect students during a Valentine's Day rampage “

Combine this with the fact that they will often arrest you if you try to stop a shooting or put out a fire or speak at a public hearing. What kind of a horrible system have we come up with? I understand it's not always like this everywhere, but the fact is, from what I have seen, that mentality is the standard. First responders are told to never put themselves in danger for any reason. Firefighter is one of the safest jobs in America!

Seed Starter
captain of 1,000

Post by Seed Starter »

harakim wrote: February 27th, 2023, 8:54 pm

Room Clear
but if we decide to spend even more time and energy finding teachers and curriculum outside of

I think in the one case, you are seen supporting the system and in the other, you're seen as
not having faith in the system. So it's your lack of blind faith in the system that is
disturbing and not the level of commitment. It's hard for people with blind faith suppressing doubts to see
people who do not have the blind faith because it means they should probably question their beliefs,
which they don't want to do. Somehow they have learned blind faith in authority is essential for their

Ah yes, I assumed the level of commitment mattered somehow. Silly me :lol: Great insights on this. My rejection of their system might prick their conscience if they dared consider it or worse gave it the moral ok.

Room Clear
I'm sure room clear came from the tactical usage. I wonder if it's just due to the origin of the room clear policy or if the schools are trying to familiarize children with that kind of behavior. That way when they're adults, if the government needs to come get someone in a workplace (maybe for criticizing the government), the former students will already be conditioned on how to behave.

I had not considered the conditioning aspect. That isn't that hard to imagine given the direction of things. Perhaps we'll see struggle sessions make a comeback.

“In nearly every single story of negligence, the district or contractor reiterates how important safety is to them. They have a safety team who was immediately dispatched? Does this happen enough to warrant the full-time employment of a team? “

That made me laugh

“The “special” tactical team took 75 minutes to breach the door while the children bled to
death! Some parents were hand-cuffed, tased, pepper sprayed, or tackled by law enforcement
because they were telling officers to go into the school to save the kids and some even tried to
go into the school themselves. Kids were inside bleeding to death and waiting for help. “

That is more common than people think. I saw this type of thing happen first hand in one of my previous occupations. It goes back to your earlier point about the PTA. They want you making the school look good, but they don't want you making the school look bad. If you make the police department (or other government agency) look bad, they'll arrest you or worse. I can't say I understand the psychology but I have seen it play out enough to know that it's a standard practice. So, because the agency exists, you lose your right to solve the problem.

A crab must learn to stay in the bucket. It made me sick watching the Uvalde video. If we ever met in person I'll ask you about your experience.

officials had no legal duty to protect students during a Valentine's Day rampage “

Combine this with the fact that they will often arrest you if you try to stop a shooting or put out a fire or speak at a public hearing. What kind of a horrible system have we come up with? I understand it's not always like this everywhere, but the fact is, from what I have seen, that mentality is the standard. First responders are told to never put themselves in danger for any reason. Firefighter is one of the safest jobs in America!
See my comments above. I sincerely appreciate your thoughtful comments ;) I hope you write a book and share it someday.

harakim
captain of 1,000

Post by harakim »

Seed Starter wrote: February 27th, 2023, 10:32 pm
harakim wrote: February 27th, 2023, 8:54 pm

Room Clear

Ah yes, I assumed the level of commitment mattered somehow. Silly me :lol: Great insights on this. My rejection of their system might prick their conscience if they dared consider it or worse gave it the moral ok.

Room Clear

I had not considered the conditioning aspect. That isn't that hard to imagine given the direction of things. Perhaps we'll see struggle sessions make a comeback.

That made me laugh

A crab must learn to stay in the bucket. It made me sick watching the Uvalde video. If we ever met in person I'll ask you about your experience.

See my comments above. I sincerely appreciate your thoughtful comments ;) I hope you write a book and share it someday.
If we ever meet, I'll tell you :)

simpleton
captain of 1,000

Post by simpleton »

"If your children never learned another thing, they would be better off with their mother".
That was an answer, givin to a father who's wife wanted to yank her kids out of public school and he didn't want his kids to be "left behind".

And I totally agree. Why oh why would we send our precious children to be indoctrinated, intentionally, against everything good. And to be destroyed spiritually over a period of time, When actually their mothers (and fathers) love and discipline and example is by far more, a better environment. And if you can have more families united in the same spiritual and temporal cause, all the better.
BY stated that if your children cannot be taught by the Spirit of God, or by a teacher that has God's Spirit, then they should have no business teaching them.
"The wisdom of the wise is foolishness".
"The wisdom of the wise shall perish".
"The poor and the meek shall inherit the earth".
"for the wisdom of their wise men shall perish, and the understanding of their prudent men shall be hid".
I am not against our children receiving an "education", but I am against them being taught by the system that has perverted our parents, us and our children to the point that this country is now being destroyed, intentionally so.

Seed Starter
captain of 1,000

Post by Seed Starter »

simpleton wrote: March 3rd, 2023, 4:10 am "If your children never learned another thing, they would be better off with their mother".
That was an answer, givin to a father who's wife wanted to yank her kids out of public school and he didn't want his kids to be "left behind".

And I totally agree. Why oh why would we send our precious children to be indoctrinated, intentionally, against everything good. And to be destroyed spiritually over a period of time, When actually their mothers (and fathers) love and discipline and example is by far more, a better environment. And if you can have more families united in the same spiritual and temporal cause, all the better.
BY stated that if your children cannot be taught by the Spirit of God, or by a teacher that has God's Spirit, then they should have no business teaching them.
"The wisdom of the wise is foolishness".
"The wisdom of the wise shall perish".
"The poor and the meek shall inherit the earth".
"for the wisdom of their wise men shall perish, and the understanding of their prudent men shall be hid".
I am not against our children receiving an "education", but I am against them being taught by the system that has perverted our parents, us and our children to the point that this country is now being destroyed, intentionally so.
Yes! I wonder how many middle-aged adults are "at grade level." I know the average adult doesn't read many books. How many adults have trouble helping their child with math? How does one have faith in a system that didn't prepare one to pass that information on? How does the system tell a parent who wants to homeschool that they aren't capable enough and that they must leave teaching even elementary-level curriculum to the experts when their track record is so poor? Why do so many homeschool parents notice the sensation of learning right along with their child if the system did such a good job teaching the parents?

How much of what is taught is thrown away after leaving school because it had no purpose for the student? My spark for learning was thoroughly extinguished by public school. I know not everyone had that experience but that system punishes differently shaped children. I am ON FIRE to learn for the rest of eternity but I had to get that pilot light going on my own. If I can help other kids like me with this book that would be great!

Seed Starter
captain of 1,000

Post by Seed Starter »

It happened again. Get them out if you can. Private school is not exempt from this issue.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/li ... -rcna76861

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Seed Starter wrote: March 27th, 2023, 5:34 pm It happened again. Get them out if you can. Private school is not exempt from this issue.

Unlike Uvalde police officers, these police actually did something.

Maybe the word uvalde will one day be a slang word meaning extreme cowardice in the face of danger.

Seed Starter
captain of 1,000

Post by Seed Starter »

Silver Pie wrote: March 27th, 2023, 7:17 pm
Seed Starter wrote: March 27th, 2023, 5:34 pm It happened again. Get them out if you can. Private school is not exempt from this issue.

Unlike Uvalde police officers, these police actually did something.

Maybe the word uvalde will one day be a slang word meaning extreme cowardice in the face of danger.
That is a silver lining this time ;)

LostCreekAcres
captain of 100

Post by LostCreekAcres »

Thanks so much for all your hard work on this. Read through (skimmed) much of it today. Passed on to daughter who hopes to homeschool her young family. She doesn't quite have the confidence yet, but her kids are very young yet. She speaks to in-law family and friends about her desire and gets much flack. Maybe this will help her argue her point:) Thank you.

Seed Starter
captain of 1,000

Post by Seed Starter »

LostCreekAcres wrote: March 28th, 2023, 12:14 pm Thanks so much for all your hard work on this. Read through (skimmed) much of it today. Passed on to daughter who hopes to homeschool her young family. She doesn't quite have the confidence yet, but her kids are very young yet. She speaks to in-law family and friends about her desire and gets much flack. Maybe this will help her argue her point:) Thank you.
I'm so happy to hear that :) . I must have missed this comment somehow. I hope this helps her confidence with in laws.

Seed Starter
captain of 1,000

Post by Seed Starter »

This post has been moved by Creator to the book review section of the forum. Thank you! Remember, this research journal is a free download. Not for profit.