Where would you start looking for off grid property?

Discuss the last days, Zion, second coming, emergency preparedness, alternative health, etc.
BuriedTartaria
Captain of Tartary

Re: Where would you start looking for off grid property?

Post by BuriedTartaria »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: February 20th, 2023, 8:51 pm
BuriedTartaria wrote: February 20th, 2023, 8:49 pm We should all pitch in and buy off-grid land to form the in-person LDSFF community. Imagine the mess all the clashing of beliefs would cause :p
As much as we like to bicker here on the forum, I actually think a good handful of us would get along quite well.
;)
That is a good point.

FoxMammaWisdom
The Heretic

Post by FoxMammaWisdom »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: February 20th, 2023, 4:28 pm I've been pondering this idea for the last few months. Where would you begin in your search for off-grid property? You don't need to cite a specific property, but general areas of the US would be helpful. Also open to ideas outside the US.

I think these would be my basic requirements:
  • 50-100 acres min (less than $100-150k for the land, I know this is a bit of a pipe dream, but I've seen a few properties around)
  • Water access, preferably flowing water like a stream
  • Reasonable growing season
  • Wooded land for fuel
  • Some pasture land for grazing
  • At least 1 hour or so from any sizable city, e.g. w/ a Walmart
Fred told me about these properties in Duchesne, County UT near Starvation Reservoir I've been looking at:

https://mwranches.com/

They only have a few examples on their website - you can call and tell them what you want/size/terrain/etc. and they will show you the properties that fit your needs. They carve a driveway and pour a pad on all the properties. Utilities are close or next to many, some are way out there away from the grid. (BTW Hit Fred up for your solar power needs!!)

Prices are in the range you are looking. 1k down, in-house financing w/no bank since they own the properties - they say they finance anyone. (FoxMamma is going to challenge that and see if they really will :) )

Grow season and zones info:

https://garden.org/apps/calendar/?q=Duchesne%2C+UT
https://www.plantmaps.com/hardiness-zon ... ounty-utah

Nearest Walmart is down by Price 1.5 hrs away.

Being There
captain of 1,000

Post by Being There »

You might want to take this scripture into consideration,
as far as where not to move to.

as I had said in another thread.

just another interesting thing I'd like to point out - to those that might be thinking
to move right now, to where Zion will be built, ******** (at bottom)
before it's time to go build Zion,
you first might want to think twice about that.

When the antichrist takes over the World.

The adversary is well aware of where Zion is to be built.
"And he shall plant the tabernacles of his palace" there.

The home of the antichrist

Many members over the years have said they have felt prompted to start gathering
to the place where Zion has been appointed to be.
But this scripture shows that
"He" the antichrist, who the Lord use as his battle axe,
first will invade the U.S. and sets up his palace here
"between the seas in the "glorious holy mountain",
which is the land of Zion.

In Isaiah and here in Daniel "Egypt" refers to the U.S.

Daniel 11:45,

Chapter 11:42-43,45

42 He shall stretch forth his hand also upon the countries:

and the land of Egypt ( U.S.) shall not escape.

43 But he shall have power over the treasures of gold and of silver,

and over all the precious things of Egypt: ...

45 And he shall plant the tabernacles of his palace "between"

the seas in the glorious holy mountain;
yet he shall come to his end,

and none shall help him.

Independence Jackson County, Missouri

D&C 97
21 Therefore, verily, thus saith the Lord, let Zion rejoice,
for this is Zion—the pure in heart; therefore,
let Zion rejoice, while all the wicked shall mourn.

Doctrine and Covenants 57
1 Hearken, O ye elders of my church, saith the Lord your God, who have assembled yourselves together, according to my commandments,
in this land, which is the land of Missouri, which is the land which I have appointed and consecrated for the gathering of the saints.
2 Wherefore, this is the land of promise, and the place for the city of Zion.
3 And thus saith the Lord your God, if you will receive wisdom here is wisdom. Behold,
the place which is now called Independence is the center place; and a spot for the temple is lying westward, upon a lot which is not far from the courthouse.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

I’ve honest thought about South America. I just need to get remote enough.

Being There
captain of 1,000

Post by Being There »

FoundMyEden wrote: February 20th, 2023, 4:45 pm We just landed a 100+ acre lot in SW MO.

Has everything you listed except for the price. (Ours was more because it has some buildings on it.)

Keep looking and don’t get discouraged. We were on the edge of giving up but the Lord told us he had a property prepared, and he delivered!
don't know just how true this is,
but it may be something to think about,
along with what I just posted.

"The western boundary of the State of Missouri will be swept so clean of its inhabitants
that as President Young tells us, when you return to that place,
there will not be left so much as a yellow dog to wag his tail."

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Being There wrote: February 20th, 2023, 9:23 pm
FoundMyEden wrote: February 20th, 2023, 4:45 pm We just landed a 100+ acre lot in SW MO.

Has everything you listed except for the price. (Ours was more because it has some buildings on it.)

Keep looking and don’t get discouraged. We were on the edge of giving up but the Lord told us he had a property prepared, and he delivered!

"The western boundary of the State of Missouri will be swept so clean of its inhabitants
BY said many things. I honestly wonder if he had some ulterior motive when he said the quote above. He was really good at causing fear and being manipulative.

FoundMyEden
captain of 1,000

Post by FoundMyEden »

Being There wrote: February 20th, 2023, 9:23 pm

That’s where we were told to go, and that’s where the Lord provided a place for us.

And as far as BY goes…I’m not concerned…because as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord. :)

Lemarque
captain of 100

Post by Lemarque »

I did a Zillow search of properties under 220k, centered the map over north Arkansas/southern Missouri and sorted the results by lot size. Lots of property like the following in that area.

96 acres, $198k: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/Powe ... e=txtshare

80 acres, $179k: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/000- ... e=txtshare

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: February 20th, 2023, 8:46 pm
mudflap wrote: February 20th, 2023, 8:22 pm if you take the LHBA class for $500, then buy a piece of wooded land, you can use the trees to build your place. The advantage is that most land owners know it will cost you $10-$20k to clear land, so they keep the price down when selling it to make it more appealing. While log homes are not quite as thermally comfortable as a rammed earth or adobe or strawbale home, they still outperform "stick built" or framed homes or brick homes by quite a bit. Unlike adobe or earth homes, they tend to have a ton of resale value. LHBA log homes fall into the category of "custom log homes" (as opposed to the "trailer park" of log homes: "kits"), and they typically sell for 10-14 times the cost to build them (so $60k to build -> sell for $600k, pocket the $540K, or use it to buy an even larger/better parcel).

As for land:
In general, the further south east you go, the longer the growing season, and the closer to hurricanes. North east will get you a shorter growing season. North west gets you Antifa, while southwest gets you desert. middle is tornado alley.

I was surprised (I don't know why) when I moved to the South that they don't irrigate much here. You just plant things and take care of the weeds. Water normally takes care of itself.

desert pros/cons:
- no one will fight you for it / have to go down pretty far for water
SouthEast pros/cons:
- won't have to irrigate - lots of water / tornados and hurricanes. generally more crowded than out west.
NorthEast pros/cons:
- not a lot of people / cold hard winters and short growing season

good luck!
I’m pretty sure North East is out of the question. Being downwind of East Palestine doesn’t sound too appealing at the moment. :)
This is an excellent point - let's expand on this idea in general:

probably anywhere rural - except for obvious places like California, NY, Seattle, and border towns near Mexico are good places to buy, right? So I would also suggest the following, once you've narrowed it down to a state:
- check railroad maps - you obviously don't want to be downwind from a train derailment. Check proposed growth / development maps - these are available from the local city hall. you don't want to buy a farm, and find out the local town is going to build a strip mall on the farm next door.
- check Flood maps. You can find these online. They tell you where historic floods have crested. Our property was 100 feet from a 600 year flood zone. A year or two ago, we experienced one of the worst rains - 9" of rain in one day - all around us, neighbors had a lot of flooding. The 5' deep ditch in front of our place was overflowing, and the driveway nearby had about 4" of water running over it, but our cabin was high and dry.
- check tornado maps - these are also online. See how many tornadoes have touched down nearby. You can see trends. Our cabin is about a mile from a particular "mountain" - it's so cute when Southerners call a 600' mound "a mountain" - but it's enough that we've never had a tornado - at least on the map - since they started keeping track. But we built this home extremely strong - my engineer said it should withstand an f4.
- check nuclear fallout maps - yes, these are also online. There are known "target cities" and "target locations" (nuclear power plants, industrial parks), and you want to make sure you are not downwind from them. We are upwind from one, but are protected by that cute mountain again. Normally, you should be fine if you are more than 10 miles away from the dead zone. The nearby river to us is also upstream from that dead zone - so we won't be eating fish with 3 eyes after the blast either.
- stay away from major interstates / highways - you don't want to be easy pickings for the "golden horde" (look it up if you don't know)
- if you want to go completely off-grid, make sure your state doesn't have any weird restrictions against doing so - I think it was Florida, a few years ago, still had a law that said your home had to be connected to local utilities - you couldn't go 100% solar, for example. My state has a weird tax on 100% solar, but I think they are working on getting rid of that law.
- check with the building department in the county/city you want to buy land in - just walk in and ask them what the process is for permits. This will take a lot of legwork, but it will be totally worth it in the end for the headaches it will save you. I know an LHBA member who did this - actually went through about 25 counties in TN before he bought a piece of land - he's now got about 100 acres, and is as happy as a clam starting his off-grid build.
- check with the neighbors. see if there is anywhere nearby called "meth mountain". You'll want to avoid it for obvious reasons. nearby trailer parks are also a problem, generally.
- Will it afford retreat - as in, can you get in and out of the area undetected? The Nephites did this - kept the area north of them wild as a retreat or an escape.
- does the property face South? you'll want a southern exposed area for your garden - if you have too much shade on the property, you won't be as successful with your garden.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

mudflap wrote: February 21st, 2023, 6:08 am This is an excellent point - let's expand on this idea in general:

probably…
Great info to take into consideration, thanks.

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: February 21st, 2023, 6:12 am
mudflap wrote: February 21st, 2023, 6:08 am This is an excellent point - let's expand on this idea in general:

probably…
Great info to take into consideration, thanks.
of course, we're all assuming you are doing a land search "righteously" - that you are letting the Lord guide you. If you do that, and He confirms it - then anywhere can be the right place, right?

This happened to us - years before we bought our land - a series of personal revelations that we didn't understand at the time. After we bought the land and started building, someone said, "it looks like an ark!", and the memories of what had been revealed to us years before came rushing back, and we realized "this was the place" we were supposed to buy! I'd rather not share the details of how it was revealed, but it's pretty undeniable, to us, anyway.

blitzinstripes
captain of 1,000

Post by blitzinstripes »

BuriedTartaria wrote: February 20th, 2023, 8:54 pm
Reluctant Watchman wrote: February 20th, 2023, 8:51 pm
BuriedTartaria wrote: February 20th, 2023, 8:49 pm We should all pitch in and buy off-grid land to form the in-person LDSFF community. Imagine the mess all the clashing of beliefs would cause :p
As much as we like to bicker here on the forum, I actually think a good handful of us would get along quite well.
;)
That is a good point.
Until they try to introduce polygamy into our post SHTF communal village. 😁😁😁😁

bbrown
captain of 100

Post by bbrown »

Mudflaps criteria are very good. Blitzins also. In the end nowhere is safe from what is coming. Some are better some are worse It comes down to what kind of miracles will have to save you not if. Do what the Lord tells you and He will put the pieces in place

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

One of the things that I’ve learned from the BoM is that secret combinations naturally gravitate toward things that are expensive. Riches or things that cost money are desirable. Whatever we plan on doing, it will be basic and by all standards of the modern world, very poor.

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: February 21st, 2023, 6:59 am One of the things that I’ve learned from the BoM is that secret combinations naturally gravitate toward things that are expensive. Riches or things that cost money are desirable. Whatever we plan on doing, it will be basic and by all standards of the modern world, very poor.
I had a chance, a few years ago, to a career choice "do-over": I could have become anything at that point - lawyer, engineer, whatever (probably not a doctor, since I've always despised doctors). Making a ton of money has its benefits. But I considered my options, and decided that I'd always liked teaching, so I got a degree in mathematics with a teaching minor. I taught for only a year - I figured out right away that public education was already a wholly owned subsidiary of Babylon. so I found my way out of that hole - found a better job with a boss that appreciates my ideas.

But my point is - I've looked at that crossroads of "making a ton of money" or "gaining a lot of knowledge", and I've always chosen to focus on gaining knowledge. I despise riches. We drive modest cars that are paid for; I'm not trying to be a millionaire. Sure, I want enough money to meet my needs, but beyond that, I want skills, knowledge and tools.

Trucker
captain of 1,000

Post by Trucker »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: February 20th, 2023, 8:46 pm
mudflap wrote: February 20th, 2023, 8:22 pm if you take the LHBA class for $500, then buy a piece of wooded land, you can use the trees to build your place. The advantage is that most land owners know it will cost you $10-$20k to clear land, so they keep the price down when selling it to make it more appealing. While log homes are not quite as thermally comfortable as a rammed earth or adobe or strawbale home, they still outperform "stick built" or framed homes or brick homes by quite a bit. Unlike adobe or earth homes, they tend to have a ton of resale value. LHBA log homes fall into the category of "custom log homes" (as opposed to the "trailer park" of log homes: "kits"), and they typically sell for 10-14 times the cost to build them (so $60k to build -> sell for $600k, pocket the $540K, or use it to buy an even larger/better parcel).

As for land:
In general, the further south east you go, the longer the growing season, and the closer to hurricanes. North east will get you a shorter growing season. North west gets you Antifa, while southwest gets you desert. middle is tornado alley.

I was surprised (I don't know why) when I moved to the South that they don't irrigate much here. You just plant things and take care of the weeds. Water normally takes care of itself.

desert pros/cons:
- no one will fight you for it / have to go down pretty far for water
SouthEast pros/cons:
- won't have to irrigate - lots of water / tornados and hurricanes. generally more crowded than out west.
NorthEast pros/cons:
- not a lot of people / cold hard winters and short growing season

good luck!
I’m pretty sure North East is out of the question. Being downwind of New Palestine doesn’t sound too appealing at the moment. :)
Came to say this. Nothing east of East Palestine.

This short video shows someone showing the air monitors on the east coast turning yellow: https://www.brighteon.com/fc4a6603-9d01 ... 7ede5b9da2

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

I’m learning about straw bale construction… really interesting stuff out there.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Earthen Geodesic domes sound pretty interesting as well: https://trilliumdomes.com/

simpleton
captain of 1,000

Post by simpleton »

Somewhere in the Rocky Mountains

simpleton
captain of 1,000

Post by simpleton »

Joseph Smith: "...without Zion, and a place of deliverance, we must fall; because the time is near when the sun will be darkened, and the moon turn to blood, and the stars fall from the heaven, and the earth reel to and fro. Then, if this is the case, and if we are not sanctified and gathered to the places God has appointed, with all our former professions and our great love for the Bible, we must fall; we cannot stand; we cannot be saved; for God will gather out his Saints from the Gentiles, and then comes desolation and destruction, and none can escape except the pure in heart who are gathered." --DHC 2:52

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

simpleton wrote: February 21st, 2023, 9:38 pm Joseph Smith: "...without Zion, and a place of deliverance, we must fall; because the time is near when the sun will be darkened, and the moon turn to blood, and the stars fall from the heaven, and the earth reel to and fro. Then, if this is the case, and if we are not sanctified and gathered to the places God has appointed, with all our former professions and our great love for the Bible, we must fall; we cannot stand; we cannot be saved; for God will gather out his Saints from the Gentiles, and then comes desolation and destruction, and none can escape except the pure in heart who are gathered." --DHC 2:52
Are you thinking this is the LDS church?

simpleton
captain of 1,000

Post by simpleton »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: February 20th, 2023, 9:22 pm I’ve honest thought about South America. I just need to get remote enough.
If you want privacy, remoteness, then you need to buy where nobody else, or at least just a few would consider. I would say mountains, rough mountains, where there is water, wild game, area for planting garden, domestic animals, etc. But, where nobody like the state or the feds will bug you.
I wouldn't go any farther east than the Rocky mountains or any farther west than the Rocky Mountains. But they do have a long range north to Alaska and south as far as you want. Stay away from any city or even smaller towns. But probably close enough to resupply.
That's my opinion.....

simpleton
captain of 1,000

Post by simpleton »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: February 21st, 2023, 9:47 pm
simpleton wrote: February 21st, 2023, 9:38 pm Joseph Smith: "...without Zion, and a place of deliverance, we must fall; because the time is near when the sun will be darkened, and the moon turn to blood, and the stars fall from the heaven, and the earth reel to and fro. Then, if this is the case, and if we are not sanctified and gathered to the places God has appointed, with all our former professions and our great love for the Bible, we must fall; we cannot stand; we cannot be saved; for God will gather out his Saints from the Gentiles, and then comes desolation and destruction, and none can escape except the pure in heart who are gathered." --DHC 2:52
Are you thinking this is the LDS church?
I'm thinking this is a gathered remnant of the pure in heart. Or the "more righteous", of probably many walks of life and religions.

Chris01
captain of 10

Post by Chris01 »

Cewa19 wrote: February 20th, 2023, 5:50 pm

You won’t be able to do this alone. You need people of like mind and faith. Family would be best.
Yes, exactly! Kind of funny, I saw an ad on Gab today for https://www.bugout.earth
It looks like they're trying to link up people that have land with others that are looking for a bugout site. I just thought it was such great idea... with all the crap going on today, it would give a lot of other people that are completely unprepared a chance at relative peace in the times that are seeming to be right around the corner.

Fred
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fred »

simpleton wrote: February 21st, 2023, 9:56 pm
Reluctant Watchman wrote: February 20th, 2023, 9:22 pm I’ve honest thought about South America. I just need to get remote enough.
If you want privacy, remoteness, then you need to buy where nobody else, or at least just a few would consider. I would say mountains, rough mountains, where there is water, wild game, area for planting garden, domestic animals, etc. But, where nobody like the state or the feds will bug you.
I wouldn't go any farther east than the Rocky mountains or any farther west than the Rocky Mountains. But they do have a long range north to Alaska and south as far as you want. Stay away from any city or even smaller towns. But probably close enough to resupply.
That's my opinion.....
Good plan. From Arizona at around 100 miles south of four corners, at the border of New Mexico, all of the way north to Wyoming and even beyond, is bordered on all 4 sides by mountains. Plenty of wildlife and water, even in the desert areas. This includes the Zuni Native Americans, the Navajo, Hopi, and Utes, among others. These people inherit the earth.

As luck would have it, this is the cheapest land in the country as nobody wants it. That is why the Natives have it. It will not be devastated by a Yellowstone eruption. The air is kept clean by the mountains. All of the high desert areas have artesian springs.