Where would you start looking for off grid property?

Discuss the last days, Zion, second coming, emergency preparedness, alternative health, etc.
Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Where would you start looking for off grid property?

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

I've been pondering this idea for the last few months. Where would you begin in your search for off-grid property? You don't need to cite a specific property, but general areas of the US would be helpful. Also open to ideas outside the US.

I think these would be my basic requirements:
  • 50-100 acres min (less than $100-150k for the land, I know this is a bit of a pipe dream, but I've seen a few properties around)
  • Water access, preferably flowing water like a stream
  • Reasonable growing season
  • Wooded land for fuel
  • Some pasture land for grazing
  • At least 1 hour or so from any sizable city, e.g. w/ a Walmart

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Where would you start looking for off grid property?

If you don't want to share details here, please feel free to shoot me a PM/email.

BigT
captain of 100

Post by BigT »

We’ve been looking at southwest Missouri and haven’t seen anything close to that kind of deal. Here’s a 60-acre parcel, asking price $357K:

https://www.redfin.com/MO/Monett/Tract- ... /184161176

LostCreekAcres
captain of 100

Post by LostCreekAcres »

We've been looking as well to no avail:(

FoundMyEden
captain of 1,000

Post by FoundMyEden »

We just landed a 100+ acre lot in SW MO.

Has everything you listed except for the price. (Ours was more because it has some buildings on it.)

Keep looking and don’t get discouraged. We were on the edge of giving up but the Lord told us he had a property prepared, and he delivered!

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

FoundMyEden wrote: February 20th, 2023, 4:45 pm We just landed a 100+ acre lot in SW MO.

Has everything you listed except for the price. (Ours was more because it has some buildings on it.)

Keep looking and don’t get discouraged. We were on the edge of giving up but the Lord told us he had a property prepared, and he delivered!
That's encouraging.
We are looking for a really simple setup. We could pay more for the land if we sold our property where we currently are. Just trying to weigh our options.

blitzinstripes
captain of 1,000

Post by blitzinstripes »

For me it is a secluded hollow in the Appalachians, Smokies, or possibly the Ozarks. Fairly mild winters/ long growing season, sparsely populated. Be sure it has a good water source. Natural springs are ideal. It's good not to be utterly alone. A few good and reliable neighbors will be very important. I'm a better hunter and fisherman than a farmer, but I would look to get a good root cellar in and start stockpiling seeds, etc. My ideal location would border, or come close to bordering, a medium sized river capable of navigation in a canoe or kayak, but I would want the majority of my land to be at a high enough elevation to avoid floods.

blitzinstripes
captain of 1,000

Post by blitzinstripes »

I've accepted that I just don't think I will be in a financial position to buy the land that I want. I'm taking a gamble that by the time I need to 'GO' that major events will have already transpired, and if I have to bug out deep into state or federal land and wait out a 'storm', that I can do that for a period of time and hopefully later, stake a larger claim after the population has taken a major hit and banking systems have collapsed and are meaningless. In other words, I hope I can find a secluded, deserted property with an intact (or somewhat intact) structure, claim it and defend it.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

One of the things that I'm realizing is how we've been sucked into all the trappings of Babylon with all her creature comforts. We didn't bat an eye at taking out a 30 yr mortgage, college debt, and the rigamarole of day-to-day living w/ dad away from the kids working.

I'm looking at my kids and I can't in good conscience tell them to follow that path that I've done.

To afford a home today, both parents will most likely have to work and kids are raised by the world. I need to be a better example for the rising generation.
Last edited by Reluctant Watchman on February 21st, 2023, 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

blitzinstripes
captain of 1,000

Post by blitzinstripes »

I've tried to build my inventory of hand tools over the last few years. I truly believe that electricity is going to be a thing of the past soon, whether by solar flare/ CME or by man made device (EMP). While I love log cabins, they are extremely labor intensive, and I think that realistically there will still be a lot of structures standing and building materials that we can source rather than have to fell our own trees and strip logs. Like I said earlier, I'm really hoping to claim a deserted property with a structure and rehab what I need to. As it is now, I know of dozens of practically deserted hunting cabins in my region. Some haven't been used in years. After the SHTF, I'm hoping for some vacancies. 😉

bbrown
captain of 100

Post by bbrown »

Check out mid MO. Morgan, moniteau, Petis, Miller, Cooper counties.
Morgan county doesn’t have code enforcement, permitting, anything. Property taxes ( while still theft) are pretty low. You can find 30-50 acre lots mostly wooded for pretty cheap. My 10 acres were $12k (5-6 years ago)with water power high speed internet. You can find 4 acre places for 8-10k. If you are a city dweller, used to the trappings of Babylon, moving out to the country especially woodland, 20-30 acres is plenty 10 is plenty. If you’re not planning to farm for a living you can easily grow/raise anything you’d need on that much space. There are a lot of semi off grid people around here. Again if you’re a city dweller used to all the city stuff, reality is it’s highly unlikely you’ll be able to go full off grid, full self sufficient, don’t kid yourself. the most hardcore homesteaders and even Amish I know, use power equipment and electricity to some extent. Mid MO is as good a place as any to try though.

(Edit for spelling)

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

blitzinstripes wrote: February 20th, 2023, 5:31 pm I've tried to build my inventory of hand tools over the last few years. I truly believe that electricity is going to be a thing of the past soon, whether by solar flare/ CME or by man made device (EMP). While I love log cabins, they are extremely labor intensive, and I think that realistically there will still be a lot of structures standing and building materials that we can source rather than have to fell our own trees and strip logs. Like I said earlier, I'm really hoping to claim a deserted property with a structure and rehab what I need to. As it is now, I know of dozens of practically deserted hunting cabins in my region. Some haven't been used in years. After the SHTF, I'm hoping for some vacancies. 😉
I've been studying rammed-earth or adobe construction homes. One of the goals is that if a Gad member swung by to visit, we'd appear so poor that it wouldn't even be worth their effort to bother us. It would be an inconvenience for them to even try and take what we had. :)

Cewa19
captain of 10

Post by Cewa19 »

I think much more important than where, is with whom? Seclusion is great, rural is great, off grid is great, but even better and I would argue necessary is who you will be with.

You won’t be able to do this alone. You need people of like mind and faith. Family would be best.

Where I have settle in rural Utah, there are lots of similar people, similar faith, like minded, family oriented. Since we have relocated, others are following, and still more are looking to do the same. People are relocating because they feel what is coming. Utah is a little more expensive than SW Missouri, but you can get very rural here, much more rural than MO. The area I live in is some of the least populated in the US.

Good luck!
Reluctant Watchman wrote: February 20th, 2023, 4:28 pm I've been pondering this idea for the last few months. Where would you begin in your search for off-grid property? You don't need to cite a specific property, but general areas of the US would be helpful. Also open to ideas outside the US.

I think these would be my basic requirements:
  • 50-100 acres min (less than $100-150k for the land, I know this is a bit of a pipe dream, but I've seen a few properties around)
  • Water access, preferably flowing water like a stream
  • Reasonable growing season
  • Wooded land for fuel
  • Some pasture land for grazing
  • At least 1 hour or so from any sizable city, e.g. w/ a Walmart

gkearney
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by gkearney »

Southeastern Kansas, southwestern Missouri.

bbrown
captain of 100

Post by bbrown »

My brother has built a few geodesic domes when he is finished and the sod and such are in place you’ll hardly be able to see them if you don’t know they are there. The small ones (16’ diameter) are pretty small, but the 32’ is huge. Easy to build, no big beams or trusses just short boards, can be done by one man but it’s easier with help. Easy to heat/cool, skylights are sufficient during the day, and near invisible if you cover them with grass or something.

tmac
captain of 1,000

Post by tmac »

Cewa19 wrote: February 20th, 2023, 5:50 pm I think much more important than where, is with whom? Seclusion is great, rural is great, off grid is great, but even better and I would argue necessary is who you will be with.

You won’t be able to do this alone. You need people of like mind and faith. Family would be best.

Where I have settle in rural Utah, there are lots of similar people, similar faith, like minded, family oriented. Since we have relocated, others are following, and still more are looking to do the same. People are relocating because they feel what is coming. Utah is a little more expensive than SW Missouri, but you can get very rural here, much more rural than MO. The area I live in is some of the least populated in the US.

Good luck!
Where can you find a community of people with a predominantly productive (as opposed to consumptive) orientation in Utah?

Cewa19
captain of 10

Post by Cewa19 »

tmac wrote: February 20th, 2023, 6:14 pm
Cewa19 wrote: February 20th, 2023, 5:50 pm I think much more important than where, is with whom? Seclusion is great, rural is great, off grid is great, but even better and I would argue necessary is who you will be with.

Good luck!
Where can you find a community of people with a predominantly productive (as opposed to consumptive) orientation in Utah?
Central and Southeast Utah. There isn’t a lot to consume, but you must produce if you want to make a go of it.

Atrasado
captain of 1,000

Post by Atrasado »

The most important thing is distance from military bases and missile silos and you don't want to be downwind from those. I would also avoid places that are likely to be invaded like Washington, Texas, Alaska, and the East Coast. Mountains are good because tanks and armored personnel carriers don't like them so they usually clean those up last.

Mainly I like central and eastern Idaho. The land north of Bear Lake is where I'd go if I could afford it. I also like the Vernal, Utah area.

tmac
captain of 1,000

Post by tmac »

Cewa19 wrote: February 20th, 2023, 6:41 pm

Good luck!
Central and Southeast Utah. There isn’t a lot to consume, but you must produce if you want to make a go of it.
So there are actually producer communities in those areas that are making a go of, it by producing?

Dusty Wanderer
captain of 1,000

Post by Dusty Wanderer »

Good luck!
One of RW's criteria was a stream on the property. I've been looking in central and SW Utah for land and this criteria, and the one about large portions of the property being wooded seem difficult to achieve. If I am mistaken, please let me know, because I love that region and would prefer it myself.

Cewa19
captain of 10

Post by Cewa19 »

Dusty Wanderer wrote: February 20th, 2023, 7:09 pm

Good luck!
One of RW's criteria was a stream on the property. I've been looking in central and SW Utah for land and this criteria, and the one about large portions of the property being wooded seem difficult to achieve. If I am mistaken, please let me know, because I love that region and would prefer it myself.
There aren’t a lot of wooded areas, wooded areas aren’t far away. Most of the rural towns in central and SE Utah concentrate on farming, and cattle, and sheep. They also produce a ton of energy via coal and solar. Water is there, I have a year round creek 3/4 mile from my house. It can be tough to find.

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

if you take the LHBA class for $500, then buy a piece of wooded land, you can use the trees to build your place. The advantage is that most land owners know it will cost you $10-$20k to clear land, so they keep the price down when selling it to make it more appealing. While log homes are not quite as thermally comfortable as a rammed earth or adobe or strawbale home, they still outperform "stick built" or framed homes or brick homes by quite a bit. Unlike adobe or earth homes, they tend to have a ton of resale value. LHBA log homes fall into the category of "custom log homes" (as opposed to the "trailer park" of log homes: "kits"), and they typically sell for 10-14 times the cost to build them (so $60k to build -> sell for $600k, pocket the $540K, or use it to buy an even larger/better parcel).

As for land:
In general, the further south east you go, the longer the growing season, and the closer to hurricanes. North east will get you a shorter growing season. North west gets you Antifa, while southwest gets you desert. middle is tornado alley.

I was surprised (I don't know why) when I moved to the South that they don't irrigate much here. You just plant things and take care of the weeds. Water normally takes care of itself.

desert pros/cons:
- no one will fight you for it / have to go down pretty far for water
SouthEast pros/cons:
- won't have to irrigate - lots of water / tornados and hurricanes. generally more crowded than out west.
NorthEast pros/cons:
- not a lot of people / cold hard winters and short growing season

good luck!

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

mudflap wrote: February 20th, 2023, 8:22 pm if you take the LHBA class for $500, then buy a piece of wooded land, you can use the trees to build your place. The advantage is that most land owners know it will cost you $10-$20k to clear land, so they keep the price down when selling it to make it more appealing. While log homes are not quite as thermally comfortable as a rammed earth or adobe or strawbale home, they still outperform "stick built" or framed homes or brick homes by quite a bit. Unlike adobe or earth homes, they tend to have a ton of resale value. LHBA log homes fall into the category of "custom log homes" (as opposed to the "trailer park" of log homes: "kits"), and they typically sell for 10-14 times the cost to build them (so $60k to build -> sell for $600k, pocket the $540K, or use it to buy an even larger/better parcel).

As for land:
In general, the further south east you go, the longer the growing season, and the closer to hurricanes. North east will get you a shorter growing season. North west gets you Antifa, while southwest gets you desert. middle is tornado alley.

I was surprised (I don't know why) when I moved to the South that they don't irrigate much here. You just plant things and take care of the weeds. Water normally takes care of itself.

desert pros/cons:
- no one will fight you for it / have to go down pretty far for water
SouthEast pros/cons:
- won't have to irrigate - lots of water / tornados and hurricanes. generally more crowded than out west.
NorthEast pros/cons:
- not a lot of people / cold hard winters and short growing season

good luck!
I’m pretty sure North East is out of the question. Being downwind of East Palestine doesn’t sound too appealing at the moment. :)
Last edited by Reluctant Watchman on February 21st, 2023, 10:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

BuriedTartaria
Captain of Tartary

Post by BuriedTartaria »

We should all pitch in and buy off-grid land to form the in-person LDSFF community. Imagine the mess all the clashing of beliefs would cause :p

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

BuriedTartaria wrote: February 20th, 2023, 8:49 pm We should all pitch in and buy off-grid land to form the in-person LDSFF community. Imagine the mess all the clashing of beliefs would cause :p
As much as we like to bicker here on the forum, I actually think a good handful of us would get along quite well.
;)