Elder Oaks speaks about the Respect for Marriage Act

Discuss political news items / current events.
Wolfwoman
captain of 1,000

Elder Oaks speaks about the Respect for Marriage Act

Post by Wolfwoman »

Elder Oaks on why they supported the Respect For Marriage Act.
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CoiOpPwp ... JmNzVkMjY=

spiritMan
captain of 1,000

Re: Elder Oaks speaks about the Respect for Marriage Act

Post by spiritMan »

Wolfwoman wrote: February 13th, 2023, 7:57 am Elder Oaks on why they supported the Respect For Marriage Act.
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CoiOpPwp ... JmNzVkMjY=
This is awesome. A clearer example of the absolute cluster@#$% the Church has made with this cannot be made. Symbolism happens!

------------------
The first 2 comments on it:

jashonfabia
As a gay LDS from the Philippines who persists proudly and courageously, as most of the LGBTQ+ LDS, against the exhausting and non-progressing flow of the church, I'm tired of this. And I gave up defending that GOD is a God of Love. He made no mistake making us. I'm tired of hearing how exclusive God is for others.
19mReply

jeremyosmondbrockbank's profile picture
jeremyosmondbrockbank
After 42 years, we left the church. After learning about the tithing, pushing to legalize sodomy, teaching evolution at BYU, praising evil men in the world, pushing for a poisonous vaccine, we have now found it in the Evangelical church and couldn’t be happier.

---------------

What a bunch of moronic leaders.

silverado
captain of 100

Post by silverado »

Mittens voted for it- so it must be good.

Mike Lee tried to get a different amendment added, one he said would have better protected religious liberties.

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Post by Subcomandante »

I thought it was a good defense of those principles. There are times which I wish the Church would be more forthright in defending traditional marriage but I realize that these times are different now than they were 30, 50 years ago.

spiritMan
captain of 1,000

Post by spiritMan »

Subcomandante wrote: February 13th, 2023, 9:38 am I thought it was a good defense of those principles. There are times which I wish the Church would be more forthright in defending traditional marriage but I realize that these times are different now than they were 30, 50 years ago.
Dude . . .read the comments. The Church doesn't defend marriage anymore. Members want the Church to push for full acceptance. You are in the minority.

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Post by Subcomandante »

spiritMan wrote: February 13th, 2023, 9:43 am
Subcomandante wrote: February 13th, 2023, 9:38 am I thought it was a good defense of those principles. There are times which I wish the Church would be more forthright in defending traditional marriage but I realize that these times are different now than they were 30, 50 years ago.
Dude . . .read the comments. The Church doesn't defend marriage anymore. Members want the Church to push for full acceptance. You are in the minority.
In the USA that might very well be the case. Latin America is vastly different, and the same can be said of Asia and Africa.

spiritMan
captain of 1,000

Post by spiritMan »

Subcomandante wrote: February 13th, 2023, 9:45 am
In the USA that might very well be the case. Latin America is vastly different, and the same can be said of Asia and Africa.
True . . . but USA drives the World-wide Church and SLC drives the Church in USA. So you are out of luck.

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Post by Subcomandante »

spiritMan wrote: February 13th, 2023, 10:00 am
True . . . but USA drives the World-wide Church and SLC drives the Church in USA. So you are out of luck.
That won't always be the case.

spiritMan
captain of 1,000

Post by spiritMan »

Subcomandante wrote: February 13th, 2023, 10:05 am
spiritMan wrote: February 13th, 2023, 10:00 am
That won't always be the case.
It's the case for the foreseeable future.

Valo
captain of 100

Post by Valo »

No times are not different. Time has reminded the same. Arrogance is at the level of Noah's time and mankind is on the verge of finding out that "this ain't no disco!"

FoxMammaWisdom
The Heretic

Post by FoxMammaWisdom »

I agree with this comment
Attachments
Screenshot_20230213-101414.png
Screenshot_20230213-101414.png (112.16 KiB) Viewed 903 times

FoxMammaWisdom
The Heretic

Post by FoxMammaWisdom »

Is this the same talk as the one on that other thread where he was in a room full of like 20 people and still used a teleprompter? I love how they filmed the audience "pondering his words" so deeply and trying not to look at the camera.

JandD6572
captain of 100

Post by JandD6572 »

FoxMammaWisdom wrote: February 13th, 2023, 10:21 am I agree with this comment
wait, they are lesbians? how did I miss all this?

h_p
captain of 1,000

Post by h_p »

He's saying the law protects individuals' right to religious freedom, but that does not appear to be the case. My reading of it only makes allowances for religious institutions. Secular businesses owned by religious individuals are not protected. Christian bakeries, for example, will need to transform their business into a church if they want religious freedom.

Where am I wrong?

spiritMan
captain of 1,000

Post by spiritMan »

h_p wrote: February 13th, 2023, 10:54 am He's saying the law protects individuals' right to religious freedom, but that does not appear to be the case. My reading of it only makes allowances for religious institutions. Secular businesses owned by religious individuals are not protected. Christian bakeries, for example, will need to transform their business into a church if they want religious freedom.

Where am I wrong?
You are not. The Church "came out" in favor of the "Fairness For All" act, which only protects religious institutions while throwing everyone else under the bus.

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

spiritMan wrote: February 13th, 2023, 10:58 am
h_p wrote: February 13th, 2023, 10:54 am He's saying the law protects individuals' right to religious freedom, but that does not appear to be the case. My reading of it only makes allowances for religious institutions. Secular businesses owned by religious individuals are not protected. Christian bakeries, for example, will need to transform their business into a church if they want religious freedom.

Where am I wrong?
You are not. The Church "came out" in favor of the "Fairness For All" act, which only protects religious institutions while throwing everyone else under the bus.
This is exactly what they did in Utah quite a few years ago with their non-discrimination legislation.
Benchmark Books cannot discriminate in hiring a loud and proud homosexual, but Deseret Book can.
Lion House doesn’t need to cater gay weddings or make gay cakes, but every privately-owned bakery in Utah cannot pick and choose.

h_p
captain of 1,000

Post by h_p »

Lizzy60 wrote: February 13th, 2023, 11:07 am This is exactly what they did in Utah quite a few years ago with their non-discrimination legislation.
Benchmark Books cannot discriminate in hiring a loud and proud homosexual, but Deseret Book can.
Lion House doesn’t need to cater gay weddings or make gay cakes, but every privately-owned bakery in Utah cannot pick and choose.
I've been curious for a long time now about whether someone can have a gay wedding in that Marriott hotel the church owns in Laie Hawaii--the one that Uchtdorf dedicated.

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

h_p wrote: February 13th, 2023, 3:26 pm
Lizzy60 wrote: February 13th, 2023, 11:07 am This is exactly what they did in Utah quite a few years ago with their non-discrimination legislation.
I've been curious for a long time now about whether someone can have a gay wedding in that Marriott hotel the church owns in Laie Hawaii--the one that Uchtdorf dedicated.
I would place my bet that gay marriages can be held there. First of all, the anti-discrimination law was passed for Utah. Secondly, Marriott has advertised itself as a fantastic venue for gay weddings and honeymoons and vacations for literally years. Finally, it’s Hawaii. The resort would probably be burned to the ground, at least metaphorically, if it turned away a gay wedding on religious principles.

From their website, specific to the Marriott Laie location:

Additional Hotel Details
Professional property host/manager
Shield between guests and staff in main contact areas
LGBTQ friendly

Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Luke »

Lizzy60 wrote: February 13th, 2023, 11:07 am Benchmark Books cannot discriminate in hiring a loud and proud homosexual, but Deseret Book can.
Benchmark Books is the best bookshop going. Anyone who lives nearby needs to get down there.

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Post by Subcomandante »

Valo wrote: February 13th, 2023, 10:19 am
No times are not different. Time has reminded the same. Arrogance is at the level of Noah's time and mankind is on the verge of finding out that "this ain't no disco!"

Time has not remained the same. 50 years ago it would have been impossible for a man of African descent to get the Priesthood or enter the temple.

Thank goodness a revelation changed that.

Even though there are quite a few characters on the board that did NOT and do NOT support that revelation.

Down_the_rabbithole
captain of 100

Post by Down_the_rabbithole »

While I'm not always a fan of the Heritage Foundation (they are often hit and miss), this is a really good article on all the many problems with this "act".

https://www.heritage.org/marriage-and-f ... riage-bill

Wolfwoman
captain of 1,000

Post by Wolfwoman »

JandD6572 wrote: February 13th, 2023, 10:34 am
Rumors. I don’t think anyone has come out of the closet yet. Lol

Wendy and Sheri were single for many years (Sheri still is.) I think someone found that they lived close by each other or something? So the assumption was that they were an item.

Sharon Eubanks has had a friend since her mission. They have been business partners together for a long time. Mimsi followed Sharon to Washington D.C. when she moved there for work. They’ve lived at the same addresses together for many years. One of those websites where you can look people up said they might have been married - probably an algorithm based thing that determined that because of their long history of living at the same addresses. Sharon has been seen on video with a ring on her left ring finger. Their family members’ obituaries mention their friend/business partner/roommate as special mention/ honorary or adopted daughter. Something like that. Then of course Sharon is quite liberal and giddily introduced a queer young women’s president at the BYU women’s conference.

InfoWarrior82
Level 34 Illuminated
Location: "There are 15 on the earth today, you can trust them completely." -President Nelson (Jan 2022)

Post by InfoWarrior82 »

Subcomandante wrote: February 13th, 2023, 4:25 pm
Valo wrote: February 13th, 2023, 10:19 am

Time has not remained the same. 50 years ago it would have been impossible for a man of African descent to get the Priesthood or enter the temple.

Thank goodness a revelation changed that.

Even though there are quite a few characters on the board that did NOT and do NOT support that revelation.
The original policy was not revelation to begin with

Wolfwoman
captain of 1,000

Post by Wolfwoman »

Lizzy60 wrote: February 13th, 2023, 3:33 pm
h_p wrote: February 13th, 2023, 3:26 pm
I would place my bet that gay marriages can be held there. First of all, the anti-discrimination law was passed for Utah. Secondly, Marriott has advertised itself as a fantastic venue for gay weddings and honeymoons and vacations for literally years. Finally, it’s Hawaii. The resort would probably be burned to the ground, at least metaphorically, if it turned away a gay wedding on religious principles.

From their website, specific to the Marriott Laie location:

Additional Hotel Details
Professional property host/manager
Shield between guests and staff in main contact areas
LGBTQ friendly
Yeah, Hawaii has been in favor of gay marriage since the 1990s when the church came out with the proclamation on the family.

FoxMammaWisdom
The Heretic

Post by FoxMammaWisdom »

Wolfwoman wrote: February 13th, 2023, 4:44 pm
JandD6572 wrote: February 13th, 2023, 10:34 am
Rumors. I don’t think anyone has come out of the closet yet. Lol

Wendy and Sheri were single for many years (Sheri still is.) I think someone found that they lived close by each other or something? So the assumption was that they were an item.

Sharon Eubanks has had a friend since her mission. They have been business partners together for a long time. Mimsi followed Sharon to Washington D.C. when she moved there for work. They’ve lived at the same addresses together for many years. One of those websites where you can look people up said they might have been married - probably an algorithm based thing that determined that because of their long history of living at the same addresses. Sharon has been seen on video with a ring on her left ring finger. Their family members’ obituaries mention their friend/business partner/roommate as special mention/ honorary or adopted daughter. Something like that. Then of course Sharon is quite liberal and giddily introduced a queer young women’s president at the BYU women’s conference.
Sheri and Wendy bought a $600,000 condo together. They ALSO live a couple houses from each other. There is so much more.