❝Philo .. Israel means ‘seeing God’❞

This is the place where you can discuss things completely Off Topic.
sushi_chef
captain of 1,000

❝Philo .. Israel means ‘seeing God’❞

Post by sushi_chef »

"Philo vs RMN 
Post by Pazooka » Sun Dec 25, 2022 4:15 am

I keep running into the etymology for the name “Israel” being “one who sees God” or sometimes just “one who sees.” Found out it traces back to Philo (contemporary with Jesus), who is supposed to have merely be using it as something that was commonly understood. ..
"
viewtopic.php?p=1333231&hilit=philo#p1333231

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Christian Platonism Rediscovering Ancient Wisdom
Philo, On Greater and Lesser Vision of God

PHILO OF ALEXANDRIA, in On Rewards and Punishments (De praemiis et poenis), distinguishes two modes by which the devout soul may see God. One is by the familiar ‘ladder’ of ascending from contemplation of God’s goodness, wisdom and providence as manifest in Creation (cf. Plato, Symposium 201–212). The second, more exalted kind, is associated with a direct union of God granted by grace. This contrast is prominent in the history of Christian mysticism, and it’s interesting to see how earlier it appears in Philo (who, of course, is also writing two centuries before Plotinus). Leading up to this passage Philo has reiterated his often-made distinction between three types of holy souls: the Taught (symbolized by Abraham, one who seeks to learn wisdom from created things, science, and human culture); the Self-taught (symbolized by Isaac, one who acquires wisdom and virtue by following the adage, know thyself); and greatest of all, the Practicer (symbolized by Jacob, the ascetic who uses all available means and discipline in a dedicated quest for holiness). To Jacob alone is granted the highest ‘vision’ of God — and for this reason he is also called Israel, which, according to Philo, means ‘seeing God.’

[43]
These no doubt are truly admirable persons and superior to the other classes. They have as I said advanced from down to up by a sort of heavenly ladder and by reason and reflection happily inferred the Creator from His works. But those, if such there be, who have had the power to apprehend Him through Himself without the co-operation of any reasoning process to lead them to the sight, must be recorded as holy and genuine worshippers and friends of God in very truth.

[44]
In their company is he [Jacob] who in the Hebrew is called Israel but in our tongue the God-seer who sees not His real nature, for that, as I said, is impossible— but that He is. And this knowledge he has gained not from any other source, not from things on earth or things in Heaven, not from the elements or combinations of elements mortal or immortal, but at the summons a of Him alone who has willed to reveal His existence as a person to the suppliant.

[45]
How this access has been obtained may be well seen through an illustration. Do we behold the sun which sense perceives by any other thing than the sun, or the stars by any others than the stars, and in general is not light seen by light? In the same way God too is His own brightness and is discerned through Himself alone, without anything co-operating or being able to co-operate in giving a perfect apprehension of His existence.

[46]
They then do but make a happy guess, who are at pains to discern the Uncreated, and Creator of all from His creation …. The seekers for truth are those who envisage God through God, light through light.

Source: Philo, On Rewards and Punishments (De praemiis et poenis) VI.36−VII.46 (tr. Colson)
"
https://catholicgnosis.wordpress.com/20 ... on-of-god/
alexandria philo "rewards and" see god
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=alexandria++p ... =h_&ia=web

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"63 And as I said unto mine apostles, even so I say unto you, for you are mine apostles, even God's high priests; ye are they whom my Father hath given me; ye are my friends;

77 And again I say unto you, my friends, for from henceforth I shall call you friends, it is expedient that I give unto you this commandment, that ye become even as my friends in days when I was with them, traveling to preach the gospel in my power;

78 For I suffered them not to have purse or scrip, neither two coats.

79 Behold, I send you out to prove the world, and the laborer is worthy of his hire.
" 84
:arrow:

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

[sup][/sup]

I can see that.

abijah
pleb in zion

Re: ❝Philo .. Israel means ‘seeing God’❞

Post by abijah »

yeah it makes sense in the Gen`28 and Gen`32 narratives where he sees the stairway (Jesus), and later on after wrestling when he remarks he's seen God face-to-face.

John 1
50 Jesus answered and said unto him, Because I said unto thee, I saw thee under the fig tree, believest thou? thou shalt see greater things than these.
51 And he saith unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Hereafter ye shall see heaven open, and the angels of God ascending and descending upon the Son of man.

the name 'israel' seems to me something like a triple entendre b/w "sees El", "wrestles with El" and "prince of El"/"rules with El".