At a baby blessing right now, Pres oaks just showed up.

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Lemarque
captain of 100

At a baby blessing right now, Pres oaks just showed up.

Post by Lemarque »

What should I say if I go up during testimony time?

Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: At a baby blessing right now, Pres oaks just showed up.

Post by Luke »

“This man is an imposter” 😁😁

Joking… but you are free to say whatever the Spirit of liberty gives to you to say.

tribrac
captain of 1,000

Post by tribrac »

Don't be an @#$, and don't embarrass yourself .

Testimony meeting is supposed to be about sharing your testimony of Christ, not for grinding an axe or promoting your own platform.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Lemarque wrote: February 5th, 2023, 8:59 am What should I say if I go up during testimony time?
Mahonri Moriancumer

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

tribrac wrote: February 5th, 2023, 9:12 am Don't be an @#$, and don't embarrass yourself .

Testimony meeting is supposed to be about sharing your testimony of Christ, not for grinding an axe or promoting your own platform.
But come on… the possibilities are endless. Strike while the metal is hot… :)

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

I wonder how Samuel the Lamanite’s “testimony” would be received by the church today. Is testimony meeting simply a feel-good echo chamber?

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: February 5th, 2023, 9:41 am I wonder how Samuel the Lamanite’s “testimony” would be received by the church today. Is testimony meeting simply a feel-good echo chamber?
Yep.
Good description.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Tell a story about how someone was out in the woods and was stung by poison oak. (That is a thing over in North America, isn't it?) :?

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Niemand wrote: February 5th, 2023, 9:51 am Tell a story about how someone was out in the woods and was stung by poison oak. (That is a thing over in North America, isn't it?) :?
I’m not so sure how this AI response would go… :)
Growing up, I was always taught to have faith in my religious leaders and to trust in their guidance and wisdom. I never questioned their authority or doubted their teachings. However, one summer I was on a camping trip with my church and I got a severe case of poison oak. I was in so much pain and I couldn't find any relief, no matter what I tried.

When I went to the leaders for help, they simply told me that it was a test of my faith and that I needed to have more trust in God's plan. They didn't offer any practical solutions or any kind of medical help. I was left to suffer and I felt completely abandoned. This experience shattered my faith in my religious leaders and made me question everything I had been taught about trust and obedience.

It was a difficult and painful journey, but I eventually came to realize that faith in God doesn't necessarily mean blind obedience to religious leaders. I learned that true faith requires us to think for ourselves and make informed decisions, even if it means going against the norm. It's important to have trust and respect for our leaders, but it's equally important to question and seek understanding for ourselves.

This experience with poison oak may seem small, but it had a profound impact on my spiritual journey and my relationship with my faith. It taught me to have a deeper understanding of what true faith is and to always seek guidance from God, rather than relying solely on human leaders.

Mamabear
captain of 1,000

Post by Mamabear »

Say that you don’t believe in “giving up a little freedom for the safety of all.”

Niyr
captain of 100

Post by Niyr »

Mamabear wrote: February 5th, 2023, 10:00 am Say that you don’t believe in “giving up a little freedom for the safety of all.”
And that the Constitution certainly doesn't allow that.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: February 5th, 2023, 9:57 am
Niemand wrote: February 5th, 2023, 9:51 am Tell a story about how someone was out in the woods and was stung by poison oak. (That is a thing over in North America, isn't it?) :?
I’m not so sure how this AI response would go… :)
Growing up, I was always taught to have faith in my religious leaders and to trust in their guidance and wisdom. I never questioned their authority or doubted their teachings. However, one summer I was on a camping trip with my church and I got a severe case of poison oak. I was in so much pain and I couldn't find any relief, no matter what I tried.

When I went to the leaders for help, they simply told me that it was a test of my faith and that I needed to have more trust in God's plan. They didn't offer any practical solutions or any kind of medical help. I was left to suffer and I felt completely abandoned. This experience shattered my faith in my religious leaders and made me question everything I had been taught about trust and obedience.

It was a difficult and painful journey, but I eventually came to realize that faith in God doesn't necessarily mean blind obedience to religious leaders. I learned that true faith requires us to think for ourselves and make informed decisions, even if it means going against the norm. It's important to have trust and respect for our leaders, but it's equally important to question and seek understanding for ourselves.

This experience with poison oak may seem small, but it had a profound impact on my spiritual journey and my relationship with my faith. It taught me to have a deeper understanding of what true faith is and to always seek guidance from God, rather than relying solely on human leaders.
Wow! That actually sounds a bit paint by numbers but authentic... got to watch out for poison oaks. 😂

Lemarque
captain of 100

Post by Lemarque »

This happened in Fruit Heights, so there was an endless stream of people wanting to go up and bear their testimonies. They went over by about 10 minutes. I didn't go up, I figured if I wouldn't have gone up if he wasn't there, I shouldn't go up because he was there.

Had I gone up, the testimony I was thinking in my mind was telling the story LDS Physician shared earlier about the song "I Know That My Redeemer Lives" and ending with Matt 11:29: Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.

But the first thought I had when he walked in was "I wonder what Reluctant Watchman and Gadianton Slayer would do/say in this situation...?"

He didn't pull a Stevenson and stand around until people noticed him and stood up. He just kind of showed up on the stand.

One of the ladies who bore her testimony was released as young women's president. In her testimony she talked about how she missed COVID because the young women couldn't go anywhere so they would all come to young women's. They would set up chairs 6 feet apart in a big circle and wear masks and she loved it.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Lemarque wrote: February 5th, 2023, 10:44 am One of the ladies who bore her testimony was released as young women's president. In her testimony she talked about how she missed COVID because the young women couldn't go anywhere so they would all come to young women's. They would set up chairs 6 feet apart in a big circle and wear masks and she loved it.
Oh dear. Talk about Stockholm Syndrome.

Lemarque
captain of 100

Post by Lemarque »

Luke wrote: February 5th, 2023, 9:08 am “This man is an imposter” 😁😁

Joking… but you are free to say whatever the Spirit of liberty gives to you to say.
"This isn't Dallin Oaks, this is Ethel Beavers!"

(For those who have watched the show Parks and Rec)

Gadianton Slayer
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Gadianton Slayer »

Lemarque wrote: February 5th, 2023, 10:44 am But the first thought I had when he walked in was "I wonder what Reluctant Watchman and Gadianton Slayer would do/say in this situation...?"
Something exciting :lol: I’ve already walked out, time to raise the stakes.

Lemarque
captain of 100

Post by Lemarque »

Niemand wrote: February 5th, 2023, 10:49 am
Lemarque wrote: February 5th, 2023, 10:44 am One of the ladies who bore her testimony was released as young women's president. In her testimony she talked about how she missed COVID because the young women couldn't go anywhere so they would all come to young women's. They would set up chairs 6 feet apart in a big circle and wear masks and she loved it.

Oh dear. Talk about Stockholm Syndrome.
Yep. "My favorite part of young women's was when the girls had no choice but to attend! So grateful that we could wear masks and social distance to be together!"

BenMcCrea
captain of 100

Post by BenMcCrea »

Why was he at your ward? Did he speak? What was he doing? I take it you live in Utah?

Lemarque
captain of 100

Post by Lemarque »

BenMcCrea wrote: February 5th, 2023, 11:27 am Why was he at your ward? Did he speak? What was he doing? I take it you live in Utah?
It's my sister-in-law's ward, I was just there for the baby blessing.

The guy conducting said "president Oaks has told me to say he's not here for any business, just here to come to church." At the end of testimony meeting Oaks stood up and said he likes to show up at wards randomly when he doesn't have an assignment because he likes to "see the real church" that he doesn't get to see when he's at stake conferences.

He popped into a few different Sunday school classes during 2nd hour.

People afterwards were asking the bishop when he found out Oaks would be there, his response was "when the door to the chapel opened and he walked in."

Chip
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Chip »

I wonder if testimonies went 10 minutes long because people wanted to virtue signal to or in front of President Oaks. I imagine he is quite familiar with psychophantic behavior.

Lemarque
captain of 100

Post by Lemarque »

I had always assumed the loud, deep "amen" that the microphones at general conference pick up after talks were his. After today, I can testify it is him. He starts saying it a little later than most everyone else, which makes it even more pronounced.

Lemarque
captain of 100

Post by Lemarque »

Chip wrote: February 5th, 2023, 12:00 pm I wonder if testimonies went 10 minutes long because people wanted to virtue signal to or in front of President Oaks. I imagine he is quite familiar with psychophantic behavior.
Two of the people definitely were like that. One of them apparently went on a date with Oaks' daughter back when they were 16.

Most didn't even look at him and had good testimonies.

Gadianton Slayer
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Gadianton Slayer »

Lemarque wrote: February 5th, 2023, 12:04 pm One of them apparently went on a date with Oaks' daughter back when they were 16.
Good ol’ Jenny…

Chip
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Chip »

Gadianton Slayer wrote: February 5th, 2023, 12:08 pm
Lemarque wrote: February 5th, 2023, 12:04 pm One of them apparently went on a date with Oaks' daughter back when they were 16.
Good ol’ Jenny…
In other words, we are to follow men exclusively.

cab
captain of 1,000
Location: ♫ I am a Mormon! ♫ And... dang it... a Mormon just believes! ♫

Post by cab »

He has a propensity to sleep through meetings. Did he sleep through yours?