At a baby blessing right now, Pres oaks just showed up.

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Lemarque
captain of 100

Re: At a baby blessing right now, Pres oaks just showed up.

Post by Lemarque »

cab wrote: ↑February 5th, 2023, 12:29 pm He has a propensity to sleep through meetings. Did he sleep through yours?
Not that I noticed. But I was distracted by my 4 and 2 year old climbing on me. And I did hear his loud amen throughout the meeting so I think he was awake.

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Cruiserdude »

Lemarque wrote: ↑February 5th, 2023, 12:03 pm I had always assumed the loud, deep "amen" that the microphones at general conference pick up after talks were his. After today, I can testify it is him. He starts saying it a little later than most everyone else, which makes it even more pronounced.
Hahahhaha 🀣🀣🀣🀣
(And I intentionally start my 'amen' a split second earlier when listening to others pray in public, like right during the pause before the group says 'amen'.... πŸ˜‚Don't judge me bro! I learned it from an old timer in my ward growing up 30+ yedars ago. The old timer did it, I noticed it and started copying it, my Pops then told me I better knock the crap off.... So then pops detest of my personalized 'amen' sealed it into my repertoire πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‡πŸ˜)

Forever
captain of 50

Post by Forever »

Ask him if he's concerned about the 20k images taken at Epstein Island ever being released?

Mamabear
captain of 1,000

Post by Mamabear »

Niemand wrote: ↑February 5th, 2023, 10:49 am
Lemarque wrote: ↑February 5th, 2023, 10:44 am One of the ladies who bore her testimony was released as young women's president. In her testimony she talked about how she missed COVID because the young women couldn't go anywhere so they would all come to young women's. They would set up chairs 6 feet apart in a big circle and wear masks and she loved it.
Oh dear. Talk about Stockholm Syndrome.
I’m sure Oaks was proud.

BuriedTartaria
Captain of Tartary

Post by BuriedTartaria »

Lemarque wrote: ↑February 5th, 2023, 11:56 am Oaks stood up and said he likes to show up at wards randomly when he doesn't have an assignment because he likes to "see the real church" that he doesn't get to see when he's at stake conferences.
Obviously I don't love the individual but I respect that. I'm sure he's aware there is a deeper layer to the real church that has stopped attending and becoming more independent as well

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Lemarque wrote: ↑February 5th, 2023, 10:59 am
Luke wrote: ↑February 5th, 2023, 9:08 am β€œThis man is an imposter” 😁😁

Joking… but you are free to say whatever the Spirit of liberty gives to you to say.
"This isn't Dallin Oaks, this is Ethel Beavers!"

(For those who have watched the show Parks and Rec)
Parks & Recreation, The Office (US version), The Simpsons, and the Book of Mormon (the scripture not the musical) are the best things to have come out of the USA, though probably not in that order.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

BuriedTartaria wrote: ↑February 5th, 2023, 1:34 pm
Lemarque wrote: ↑February 5th, 2023, 11:56 am Oaks stood up and said he likes to show up at wards randomly when he doesn't have an assignment because he likes to "see the real church" that he doesn't get to see when he's at stake conferences.
Obviously I don't love the individual but I respect that. I'm sure he's aware there is a deeper layer to the real church that has stopped attending and becoming more independent as well
That's been an ongoing process for decades. I think the lockdowns accelerated that.

However... he is Mormon royalty, and in LDS circles he is going to be noticed, except by new members maybe.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

I think it's commendable that he does this. However, he would learn a lot more if he visited in disguise.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Robin Hood wrote: ↑February 5th, 2023, 1:45 pm I think it's commendable that he does this. However, he would learn a lot more if he visited in disguise.
Ironically that would be a good excuse to mask up.

Best thing he could do is cultivate some informants (or "touts"). Folk at ground level who would be honest with him.

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Cruiserdude »

Niemand wrote: ↑February 5th, 2023, 1:51 pm
Robin Hood wrote: ↑February 5th, 2023, 1:45 pm I think it's commendable that he does this. However, he would learn a lot more if he visited in disguise.

Best thing he could do is cultivate some informants (or "touts"). Folk at ground level who would be honest with him.
Or like that 'undercover CEO' show.... They could disguise themselves and make their rounds.... But then who celebrate and honor them when they showed up if they're not recognizable? πŸ˜‰πŸ˜(I know, I know it's the lay members fault)

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Cruiserdude wrote: ↑February 5th, 2023, 1:56 pm

Or like that 'undercover CEO' show.... They could disguise themselves and make their rounds.... But then who celebrate and honor them when they showed up if they're not recognizable? πŸ˜‰πŸ˜(I know, I know it's the lay members fault)
Baseball cap, dress like a trucker, glasses – Michael Moore's old shtic (despite being a multimillionaire). Face nappy/diaper to complete the look. Sit at the back etc.

Allison
captain of 1,000

Post by Allison »

Niemand wrote: ↑February 5th, 2023, 2:03 pm
Cruiserdude wrote: ↑February 5th, 2023, 1:56 pm

Baseball cap, dress like a trucker, glasses – Michael Moore's old shtic (despite being a multimillionaire). Face nappy/diaper to complete the look. Sit at the back etc.

A wig alone would do the trick. My father used wigs all the time in undercover law enforcement, and he said it worked every time, often without even changing clothes.

CuriousThinker
captain of 1,000

Post by CuriousThinker »

Lemarque wrote: ↑February 5th, 2023, 10:44 am This happened in Fruit Heights, so there was an endless stream of people wanting to go up and bear their testimonies. They went over by about 10 minutes. I didn't go up, I figured if I wouldn't have gone up if he wasn't there, I shouldn't go up because he was there.

Had I gone up, the testimony I was thinking in my mind was telling the story LDS Physician shared earlier about the song "I Know That My Redeemer Lives" and ending with Matt 11:29: Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.

But the first thought I had when he walked in was "I wonder what Reluctant Watchman and Gadianton Slayer would do/say in this situation...?"

He didn't pull a Stevenson and stand around until people noticed him and stood up. He just kind of showed up on the stand.

One of the ladies who bore her testimony was released as young women's president. In her testimony she talked about how she missed COVID because the young women couldn't go anywhere so they would all come to young women's. They would set up chairs 6 feet apart in a big circle and wear masks and she loved it.
That YW President's testimony made me throw up in my mouth a little bit. Ugh

madvin
captain of 1,000

Post by madvin »

Mamabear wrote: ↑February 5th, 2023, 10:00 am Say that you don’t believe in β€œgiving up a little freedom for the safety of all.”
Of course, giving up freedom has nothing to do with safety for all, nor safety at all.

madvin
captain of 1,000

Post by madvin »

Lemarque wrote: ↑February 5th, 2023, 11:56 am

The guy conducting said "president Oaks has told me to say he's not here for any business, just here to come to church."
Why did he not sit in the congregation then? :?

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

Niemand wrote: ↑February 5th, 2023, 9:51 am Tell a story about how someone was out in the woods and was stung by poison oak. (That is a thing over in North America, isn't it?) :?
;)

Why didn’t the oak tree talk to anyone?
It didn’t want to dialogue.

Watch out for that big oak over there...
It looks pretty shady.

Juliet
captain of 1,000

Post by Juliet »

Forever wrote: ↑February 5th, 2023, 12:48 pm Ask him if he's concerned about the 20k images taken at Epstein Island ever being released?
Only if they're released with a vote of thanks...

Theveilofforgetting
captain of 50

Post by Theveilofforgetting »

Cruiserdude wrote: ↑February 5th, 2023, 12:33 pm
Lemarque wrote: ↑February 5th, 2023, 12:03 pm I had always assumed the loud, deep "amen" that the microphones at general conference pick up after talks were his. After today, I can testify it is him. He starts saying it a little later than most everyone else, which makes it even more pronounced.
Hahahhaha 🀣🀣🀣🀣
(And I intentionally start my 'amen' a split second earlier when listening to others pray in public, like right during the pause before the group says 'amen'.... πŸ˜‚Don't judge me bro! I learned it from an old timer in my ward growing up 30+ yedars ago. The old timer did it, I noticed it and started copying it, my Pops then told me I better knock the crap off.... So then pops detest of my personalized 'amen' sealed it into my repertoire πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‡πŸ˜)

This made me think of prayers said in another language. I can recognise a few words in the language most people speak in my ward, and 3 of those are at the end of the prayer. I said Amen in that language but everyone said it in English. I feel like doing this all the time now.

Lemarque
captain of 100

Post by Lemarque »

I was pretty impressed with how he did it. Like I said, he just kind of appeared. I had actually been looking at the stand before the meeting started because one of the counselors was wearing a mask and I forgot how stupid people look in them. And then a minute later I look up and Oaks was sitting there. When he spoke he said, "I attend for both hours when I visit like this, so if I come in your classroom with sister Oaks try to ignore me. I just like visiting classes."

After church he was very personable, he stayed in the Sunday school room and talked with anyone who walked up to him. Let people take pictures, etc.

I felt bad for sister Oaks after church. Everyone was shaking Oaks hand and talking to him, most would also shake her hand too. But one lady went up to her at one point and started talking about how she's going to school, and getting a combined degree in business AND fashion, and how she wants to raise her kids but also run a business and that's why she's studying both, and so on. And sister Oaks was just standing there nodding along like, "Not sure why you are telling me your life plan of how you don't think that you'll be a good mom so you're trying to augment your life with something else so when you fail as a mom you can blame it on 'trying too hard' or something like that." No idea what was actually going through Sister Oaks mind, but the lady seemed to be desperately trying to get approval from her.

At one point during sacrament my wife was in the foyer with one of the kids, and a lady for the next ward was there early because she was playing a violin piece for their meeting. When Oaks'voice came over the speaker, she turned to my wife with her jaw dropped, "is that president Oaks?" She then went and peeked through the door to see him.

Turns out her husband was either being released or sustained as a bishop that day, I don't recall which. So while Elder Oaks was chatting with the Sunday school class and primary after church was done, the stake presidency and the two bishoprics of that ward are sitting there in the chapel taking care of changing the bishopric while thinking "Elder Oaks is here in the building and will probably be gone before our sacrament meeting is done."

So yeah, definitely a good amount of leader worship (my brother-in-law who was blessing his baby is named Dallin, so he was obsessing over it) but for what it was, I was impressed with how normal he tried to keep it. Very different from official authority visits I've been part of before.

anonymous91
captain of 100

Post by anonymous91 »

Niemand wrote: ↑February 5th, 2023, 9:51 am Tell a story about how someone was out in the woods and was stung by poison oak. (That is a thing over in North America, isn't it?) :?

Yes, poison oak doesn't sting you sort of just bump into it. That or you foolishly handle the leaf. This reminded me of a hilarious episode from "Married with Children"πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

anonymous91
captain of 100

Post by anonymous91 »

Lemarque wrote: ↑February 5th, 2023, 10:44 am
One of the ladies who bore her testimony was released as young women's president. In her testimony she talked about how she missed COVID because the young women couldn't go anywhere so they would all come to young women's. They would set up chairs 6 feet apart in a big circle and wear masks and she loved it.

The gaslighting and brainwashing is real, what a shame. SMH

anonymous91
captain of 100

Post by anonymous91 »

Gadianton Slayer wrote: ↑February 5th, 2023, 12:08 pm
Lemarque wrote: ↑February 5th, 2023, 12:04 pm One of them apparently went on a date with Oaks' daughter back when they were 16.
Good ol’ Jenny…
I think she needs to read this carefully.

2 Nephi 26:20-31

20 And the Gentiles are lifted up in the pride of their eyes, and have stumbled, because of the greatness of their stumbling block, that they have built up many churches; nevertheless, they put down the power and miracles of God, and preach up unto themselves their own wisdom and their own learning, that they may get gain and grind upon the face of the poor.

21 And there are many churches built up which cause envyings, and strifes, and malice.

22 And there are also secret combinations, even as in times of old, according to the combinations of the devil, for he is the founder of all these things; yea, the founder of murder, and works of darkness; yea, and he leadeth them by the neck with a flaxen cord, until he bindeth them with his strong cords forever.

23 For behold, my beloved brethren, I say unto you that the Lord God worketh not in darkness.

24 He doeth not anything save it be for the benefit of the world; for he loveth the world, even that he layeth down his own life that he may draw call men unto him. Wherefore, he commandeth none that they shall not partake of his salvation.

25 Behold, doth he cry unto any, saying: Depart from me? Behold, I say unto you, Nay; but he saith: Come unto me all ye bends of the earth, buy milk and honey, without money and without price.

26 Behold, hath he commanded any that they should depart out of the synagogues, or out of the houses of worship? Behold, I say unto you, Nay.

27 Hath he commanded any that they should not partake of his salvation? Behold I say unto you, Nay; but he hath given it free for all men, and he hath commanded his people that they should persuade all men to repentance.

28 Behold, hath the Lord commanded any that they should not partake of his goodness? Behold I say unto you, Nay; but all men are privileged the one like unto the other, and none are forbidden.

29 He commandeth that there shall be no priestcrafts; for, behold, priestcrafts are that men preach and set themselves up for a light unto the world, that they may get again and praise of the world; but they seek not the welfare of Zion.

30 Behold, the Lord hath forbidden this thing; wherefore, the Lord God hath given a commandment that all men should have a charity, which charity is love. And except they should have charity they were nothing. Wherefore, if they should have charity they would not suffer the laborer in Zion to perish.

31 But the laborer in Zion shall labor for Zion; for if they labor for money they shall perish.

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

^^^^^^^She could read that a hundred times and she would never think it applied to Elder Oaks or any of the PSRs, because they are, you know, PSRs.

Gadianton Slayer
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Gadianton Slayer »

anonymous91 wrote: ↑February 5th, 2023, 5:01 pm I think she needs to read this carefully.
I think she’s evil.

Forever
captain of 50

Post by Forever »

Jenny makes a lot of money from selling her CDs via Deseret Book. Of course she is expected to push their evil agenda.