"Body Positivity"

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Gadianton Slayer
Level 34 Illuminated

"Body Positivity"

Post by Gadianton Slayer »

What's up with "body positivity" and how it's almost always related to obese people today? The entire ideology that you should be content with who you are is contradictory to the very definition of positivity. A better term for what people mean would be body "contentment"... or satisfaction with their current conditions.

Here are several relevant definitions pertaining to the word "positive" in this context:
  • Relating to or constituting a motion or device that is definite, unyielding, constant, or certain in its action.
  • Measured or moving forward or in a direction of increase or progress.
  • Desirable, admirable, or beneficial.
Let's tackle these one at a time, shall we?
  1. Your physical health specifically pertaining to weight is subject to change, albeit difficult for some, and is in no way constant or certain. No matter how you may feel, every person is capable of getting their body into better physical condition.
  2. The entire idea of modern "body positivity" is that you don't need to change who you are... so how does that ideology coexist with the definition of forward direction and progress? Progress requires change, not being content with current conditions.
  3. Unhealthy lifestyles, particularly being obese, are in no way desirable, admirable, or in any way beneficial. Although I wouldn't be surprised if some moron wrote a paper about the health benefits of obesity.
No, I'm not going to take the time to link studies to these claims. I really don't care if you disagree that obesity is unhealthy. Let's both live our lives and see who lasts the longest with the least amount of issues, yeah?

I'm blunt with this topic because there's really no room for justification, and continuing the false ideology that you are "fine the way you are" has, is, and will continue to harm those that believe it. You are accountable for your own actions, and even though it's difficult there are ways for you to overcome obstacles (whether self-inflicted or not). This goes far beyond the conversation about weight and into every other aspect of your life. Don't blame other people or circumstances for your current situation, take accountability and learn how to resolve the problems you're facing.

Rant over. Folks my age are ridiculous sometimes...

Forever
captain of 50

Re: "Body Positivity"

Post by Forever »

Whether they're too skinny, too fat, or just right.... please cover up. The flaunting of whatever they've got is old.

John Tavner
captain of 1,000

Post by John Tavner »

Gadianton Slayer wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 9:19 pm What's up with "body positivity" and how it's almost always related to obese people today? The entire ideology that you should be content with who you are is contradictory to the very definition of positivity. A better term for what people mean would be body "contentment"... or satisfaction with their current conditions.

Here are several relevant definitions pertaining to the word "positive" in this context:
  • Relating to or constituting a motion or device that is definite, unyielding, constant, or certain in its action.
  1. Your physical health specifically pertaining to weight is subject to change, albeit difficult for some, and is in no way constant or certain. No matter how you may feel, every person is capable of getting their body into better physical condition.
  2. The entire idea of modern "body positivity" is that you don't need to change who you are... so how does that ideology coexist with the definition of forward direction and progress? Progress requires change, not being content with current conditions.
  3. Unhealthy lifestyles, particularly being obese, are in no way desirable, admirable, or in any way beneficial. Although I wouldn't be surprised if some moron wrote a paper about the health benefits of obesity.
No, I'm not going to take the time to link studies to these claims. I really don't care if you disagree that obesity is unhealthy. Let's both live our lives and see who lasts the longest with the least amount of issues, yeah?

I'm blunt with this topic because there's really no room for justification, and continuing the false ideology that you are "fine the way you are" has, is, and will continue to harm those that believe it. You are accountable for your own actions, and even though it's difficult there are ways for you to overcome obstacles (whether self-inflicted or not). This goes far beyond the conversation about weight and into every other aspect of your life. Don't blame other people or circumstances for your current situation, take accountability and learn how to resolve the problems you're facing.

I think it is a corrupted message of good. One shouldn't compare their bodies with others. Your body is not who you are, though it can be a reflection. Just as it is unhealthy to not do anything and remain in obesity, it is just as unhealthy to constantly attack the dwelling of your spirit with your mind - and the dwelling of the Holy Spirit. On the other end we have to be careful because not everyone has the ability or the knowledge to understand what is going on with their body. Is it a thyroid issue? Is there tendency to be a way through genetics? What about vaccines? other Medicines that have wrecked the bodies ability to function properly but were given as a child... Birth control? etc... There are a lot of factors. Sometimes people aren't even aware of the damage foods cause. People try, but the way food is packaged is often in a way to portray as something healthy, but in reality is very unhealthy. There is a lot of deception. That being said, I do agree that it isn't healthy to promote obesity- so the pendulum has swung too far the wrong direction- and sadly the way of life makes it difficult to be active like we once were... the hour in the gym just doesn't cut it anymore when you sit at a desk all day.

Forever
captain of 50

Post by Forever »

Our body is not ours. It is God's creation for our spirit to use.

Valo
captain of 100

Post by Valo »

Gadianton Slayer wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 9:19 pm What's up with "body positivity" and how it's almost always related to obese people today? The entire ideology that you should be content with who you are is contradictory to the very definition of positivity. A better term for what people mean would be body "contentment"... or satisfaction with their current conditions.

Gadianton Slayer
Level 34 Illuminated

Valo wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 10:08 pm ...
lol :lol:

Gadianton Slayer
Level 34 Illuminated

John Tavner wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 9:58 pm Just as it is unhealthy to not do anything and remain in obesity, it is just as unhealthy to constantly attack the dwelling of your spirit with your mind - and the dwelling of the Holy Spirit.
Agreed. There's a happy medium where you understand the need to be better without hating yourself for where you're at.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

This is a two sided thing. I think it's worth pointing out the other side. There are a lot of women out there now who suffer from anorexia. There are many young church members who have suffered from anorexia. Lindsey Stirling is a prominent example, I think Marie Osmond has too. Some of them will die from it.

There are also numerous men and women who will never be stick thin due to their build. They may be stocky, broad around certain parts or have big chests or bottoms.

This is not the same as being obese, but the anorexia cult has caused many problems including permanent health problems and infertility.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Apparently this woman was fat at the time.

The 63-year-old singer and television personality told the New York Post’s Page Six that a producer once berated her over her weight while she was filming the popular 1970s variety show “Donny & Marie,” which she and brother Donny Osmond starred in as teens.

“It was on that lot that I was taken out to the back by some head of the studio — and I’m like 5 [feet], 5 [inches] and about 103 pounds,” Osmond said, recalling her weight at the time. “And he basically said, ‘You’re an embarrassment to your family. You’re fat.’”

The message, she said, was that “250 people were going to lose their jobs because you can’t keep food out of your fat face.”
“I was in [a] dressing room, bending over putting on my pantyhose, and there was a girl in there changing who was just an emaciated skeleton with skin on her,” Osmond told Page Six. “And I just thought, ‘Oh, my gosh, that’s so sick,’ and I stood up and realized that girl was me.”

Gadianton Slayer
Level 34 Illuminated

Niemand wrote: February 4th, 2023, 2:49 am This is a two sided thing. I think it's worth pointing out the other side. There are a lot of women out there now who suffer from anorexia. There are many young church members who have suffered from anorexia. Lindsey Stirling is a prominent example, I think Marie Osmond has too. Some of them will die from it.

There are also numerous men and women who will never be stick thin due to their build. They may be stocky, broad around certain parts or have big chests or bottoms.

This is not the same as being obese, but the anorexia cult has caused many problems including permanent health problems and infertility.
I’ve never seen the “body positivity” activists champion anorexia though. There are a thousand different health issues we could talk about, I’m just focusing on that one particular phrase.

buffalo_girl
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by buffalo_girl »

I’m curious why you are concerned about the body weight of another person...

Gadianton Slayer
Level 34 Illuminated

buffalo_girl wrote: February 4th, 2023, 8:04 am I’m curious why you are concerned about the body weight of another person...
The same as why I’m concerned about my friends in the church, or those getting vaxxed. I don’t think it’s wrong to want to share my opinion and hopefully influence people around me who hold beliefs that are harmful.

It’s all the same… “why don’t you just leave them alone? Why don’t you just stop talking about the church?”

Because I care about them.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Gadianton Slayer wrote: February 4th, 2023, 7:59 am I’ve never seen the “body positivity” activists champion anorexia though. There are a thousand different health issues we could talk about, I’m just focusing on that one particular phrase.
Anorexia and the anorexic look has been championed by the fashion industry, Hollywood, Barbie dolls etc. for years. Audrey Hepburn had that appearance and popularised it, although it wasn't her fault since she had been starved due to the war as a little girl.

There are also so called "pro-ana" and "thinspiration" websites still out there.
Attachments
Screenshot_20230204-151931_Brave.jpg
Screenshot_20230204-151931_Brave.jpg (288.69 KiB) Viewed 484 times

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Coincidentally I just posted something about the Bible and obesity
viewtopic.php?t=69569

Jashon
captain of 100

Post by Jashon »

We've been set up to fail at being at a healthy weight. It could be that the ruling class wants the vast majority of people to be obese or on the verge of obesity.

We've been told to eat the wrong fats, which cause inflammation and cravings. We're told to eat a lot of grains, which cause cravings and raise insulin, which leads to fat storage, and the fat that's stored is unhealthy and unstable.

Eat more eggs, eat more meat, and avoid processed garbage. Then cravings will diminish and healthy satiety signals will be restored and insulin will be kept in check and fat storage will go down and a healthier weight will be achieved, naturally.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

Probably a good place for this… the past few months have put me squarely in the “Overweight” category. Need to get moving.
Attachments
F71E8EB1-6E34-4316-9D98-C64A885F68E0.jpeg
F71E8EB1-6E34-4316-9D98-C64A885F68E0.jpeg (286.94 KiB) Viewed 410 times
Last edited by Reluctant Watchman on February 4th, 2023, 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gadianton Slayer
Level 34 Illuminated

Niemand wrote: February 4th, 2023, 8:18 am
Gadianton Slayer wrote: February 4th, 2023, 7:59 am I’ve never seen the “body positivity” activists champion anorexia though. There are a thousand different health issues we could talk about, I’m just focusing on that one particular phrase.
Anorexia and the anorexic look has been championed by the fashion industry, Hollywood, Barbie dolls etc. for years. Audrey Hepburn had that appearance and popularised it, although it wasn't her fault since she had been starved due to the war as a little girl.

There are also so called "pro-ana" and "thinspiration" websites still out there.
That’s true, I misspoke. As I see what’s currently being promoted by individuals on different social platforms the shift seems to have gone mostly to body positivity surrounding obesity, but you’re right that anorexia has been promoted. Much more in the past.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Gadianton Slayer wrote: February 4th, 2023, 9:30 am That’s true, I misspoke. As I see what’s currently being promoted by individuals on different social platforms the shift seems to have gone mostly to body positivity surrounding obesity, but you’re right that anorexia has been promoted. Much more in the past.
When I was younger I used to go clubbing (which I hated, but did because my friends did it), but for what it's worth I noticed in one town the young women were mostly either superskinny or overweight. There were only a few girls there who were around the weight they should be to be healthy. I think a lot of those girls ate badly and/or drank/smoked. Not good.

I think the "fatty" thing is a corrective to the "skinny" thing. For years girls were pressured to be stick thin and it ended up killing some of them. That wasn't a good thing. Some girls also got bullied because they had a thicker build even if they lost the weight.

The truth is that a lot of men like women who are curvy not fat or thin.

One thing I've always hated about the modern world is that it encourages (wo)men to eat and fatten up during Christmas and then take diets in January. Which is all cynical. It sums up this whole thing. The fashion world promotes the bizarre looking Cara Delevingne one minute and then Beth Ditto the next.

HereWeGo
captain of 1,000

Post by HereWeGo »

Years ago I read an article about adjustments that should be made to the ideal weight charts according to bone structure.

At the thinnest part of your wrist stretch your middle finger and thumb around. If they just touch, you have a normal bone structure and use the chart. If your fingers go past each other, you have a light bone structure and should subtract 10% to calculate your ideal weight. If the fingers don't touch (like mine) add 10% to get your ideal weight. My bones are noticeably larger than many people my height and 10% more weight looks good on me.

HereWeGo
captain of 1,000

Post by HereWeGo »

As I think back, it may have been a 15% adjustment.

Valo
captain of 100

Post by Valo »

LDS Physician
captain of 1,000

Post by LDS Physician »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: February 4th, 2023, 9:29 am Probably a good place for this… the past few months have put me squarely in the “Overweight” category. Need to get moving.
TBH, BMI charts are horrendously inaccurate. Remember Dennis Rodman? I recall in the early 90s when Time magazine had him in shorts, shirtless, no their cover with his nearly perfectly toned / athletic body with the title "This Man is Obese". According to BMI, he was obese.

I'm 6'10". According to that chart, I'd have to weigh 230 or less to be considered not-fat. I think I would literally die at that weight and would look like a skeleton, holocaust survivor (or not survivor) at that weight!

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

LDS Physician wrote: February 4th, 2023, 12:48 pm
Reluctant Watchman wrote: February 4th, 2023, 9:29 am Probably a good place for this… the past few months have put me squarely in the “Overweight” category. Need to get moving.
TBH, BMI charts are horrendously inaccurate. Remember Dennis Rodman? I recall in the early 90s when Time magazine had him in shorts, shirtless, no their cover with his nearly perfectly toned / athletic body with the title "This Man is Obese". According to BMI, he was obese.

I'm 6'10". According to that chart, I'd have to weigh 230 or less to be considered not-fat. I think I would literally die at that weight and would look like a skeleton, holocaust survivor (or not survivor) at that weight!
I feel the point of a BMI chart is for the average person. If you are a muscle head, I hope you know not to pay attention to BMI charts. Same goes for people who are on the extreme sides of height, etc.

6’ 10” !! Wow!

buffalo_girl
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by buffalo_girl »

Clyde Lewis, Ground Zero Media, shared some thoughts on the future of food last night. Here's the transcript to the essay upon which he based his broadcast, "EGGNORANCE AIN'T BLISS": https://groundzeromedia.org/2-2-23-eggn ... 3e2c25a756

According to this 'report', healthy, normal food sources will become a thing of the past. Lab created protein products, GMO grains, along with contaminated air & water will help each of us achieve famine body weight. No %-body fat, height/weight, or age related weight standards necessary!

gradles21
captain of 1,000

Post by gradles21 »

Gluttony and slothfulness are not, and will never be attractive. The whole fat acceptance/body positivity thing is all about getting people to ignore their conscience.