Temple Interview

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
krp435
captain of 10

Temple Interview

Post by krp435 »

I’m due for my temple interview this Sunday and I am struggling with how to answer the questions. I am still a very active member in the church. I know Joseph Smith restored the church of Jesus Christ to the earth. I want to be in the temple. I love the Book of Mormon.
Like many of you, since 2020, I’ve had to really reflect and open my eyes to signs I had been ignoring for a few years (mostly to do with talks and policies related to lgbtq). The shot push was the catalyst to allow me to finally be honest and open about my worries that *someone* at the top is working for the gadiantons. There is too much ‘off’ to sweep it under the rug. UN donations, calling the pope ‘his holiness’, not reigning in Deseret book, prophet worship, supporting gay bill, etc.

Is there anyone out there who feels the way I do, but has a current temple recommend? I’m trying to figure out how I answer the sustaining questions. It’s not that I believe the prophet and apostles are evil/nefarious. I just (for the first time) have big question marks regarding them and if they are truly working for the Lord. I DON’T KNOW. I see good fruit AND stanky fruit.
Dies sustaining mean I agree with everything? Does sustaining mean I don’t question their leadership? Does it mean I think they speak for the Lord? Can I sustain (pray for them and hope for the best), but be aware that they are men who might fall to temptation?

I feel in a bit of anguish. I really don’t want to not be in the temple, but I desire to be honest before God. Help is much appreciated.

TIA.

TheDuke
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Temple Interview

Post by TheDuke »

My approach is to be honest. In the end, I determine to say that they have authority from god to lead the church. I cannot comment on outside the church but seems god can do as he wishes. Then I say that I have not heard one prophesy, seen a seer stone, or seen a written revelation in my lifetime. Separating the authority and the power/use. That usually uses up my time and the rest goes pretty quickly.

CuriousThinker
captain of 1,000

Post by CuriousThinker »

When I sustain I recognize their authority. It doesn't mean I always agree with them though.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

I recently renewed mine. The wording has changed recently and seems more "lawyered." In any case, I can sleep at night knowing that I can sustain them "as" prophet, seers, and revelators. Like I said, lawyer speak. It's a two way street.

CuriousThinker
captain of 1,000

Post by CuriousThinker »

marc wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 6:23 pm I recently renewed mine. The wording has changed recently and seems more "lawyered." In any case, I can sleep at night knowing that I can sustain them "as" prophet, seers, and revelators. Like I said, lawyer speak. It's a two way street.
Reminds me of Joseph Fielding Smith when he was asked under oath if he was a prophet, seer, and revelator. He replied he was sustained as such. Gordon B. Hinckley did the same in an interview when he was asked about being a prophet. They don't say yes, they just say they're sustained as it.

Chip
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Chip »

I've been completely honest in temple recommend interviews, expressing my belief that the church has acted duplicitously, and they still gave me a recommend. I almost think that one's demeanor has a lot to do with how it goes down, and the bishopric or stake presidency may or may not take issue with things. Mine have been very easygoing.

In the bigger picture, I wonder about the efficacy of the temple if the men who are running the church, and acting as the arbiters of members' worthiness, are going along with Gadianton programs like the vaxx. I don't believe that God is going to place something critical to peoples' progress into the hands of cowed, weak, or possibly evil men. And Christ laid out his gospel as being very simple, not involving temples and Mormon innovations. Christ said that anything more or less than what he defined comes of evil and not of him. So, how complex do you want your life to be, and how much do you want to go along with strange things?

My recommend is about to expire and I have no interest in renewing it.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

I don't know if I'll renew mine in two years, but right now, I'm ok with it. I am a gospel doctrine teacher and I am able to teach whatever I want, however I want (not that I abuse my calling in any way). My bishop trusts me not to inject opinions which I don't. But I definitely don't teach from all the watered down gruel dished up by the church. And I have received compliments from members including from the stake high council about my deeper dives and personal insights. They need to hear deeper insights. They need growth and they have let me know how they appreciate what I share. And I desire to continue fellowshipping with my neighbors. We all need each other.

BuriedTartaria
Captain of Tartary

Post by BuriedTartaria »

I'm sorry for the predicament you're in.

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by larsenb »

marc wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 6:23 pm I recently renewed mine. The wording has changed recently and seems more "lawyered." In any case, I can sleep at night knowing that I can sustain them "as" prophet, seers, and revelators. Like I said, lawyer speak. It's a two way street.
I can sustain them as prophets, seers and revelators, and pray they have experiences with these attributes and gifts. More than that, not sure what I can do. Will the Lord allow them to be caught up in 'mass formations' for His own purposes? Seems to be the case under certain circumstances.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

larsenb wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 6:49 pm
...Will the Lord allow them to be caught up in 'mass formations' for His own purposes?...
I don't understand what you mean by this. Please elaborate?

LDS Physician
captain of 1,000

Post by LDS Physician »

When asked if I “sustain” _______ the “yes” that I give is based solely upon my internal definition of that word. It may vary from the church’s definition, but they’re not asking what I mean when I say “yes” so I’m not telling.

The same goes for tithing declaration. By stating I’m a full tithe payer, I’m declaring my status as I define the word “full”. It’s likely different than their definition, but they’re not inquiring, so I’m not offering!

Chip
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Chip »

Does anyone think lawyer-speak is possibly how God conducts His affairs with His children? Is this how His "Kingdom on Earth" would likely operate?

Here's some lawyer talk for you...

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

*sigh* I’d better keep my mouth shut on this one. So many of you are capitulating and crafting your own terminology for certain words. You are not answering them according to the definitions set by the church. I don’t even know where to start with this…

13 They rob the poor because of their fine sanctuaries; they rob the poor because of their fine clothing; and they persecute the meek and the poor in heart, because in their pride they are puffed up.
14 They wear stiff necks and high heads; yea, and because of pride, and wickedness, and abominations, and whoredoms, they have all gone astray save it be a few, who are the humble followers of Christ; nevertheless, they are led, that in many instances they do err because they are taught by the precepts of men.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Well, God is definitely a God of laws and I believe His laws are significant. But I don't equate His laws with man's corrupt laws and double speak. I wholeheartedly trust in God's wording, whereas I am dubious about a lot of wording in man's laws including the wording of our church leaders, many of whom are/were lawyers.

Examples include "ponderize" and "urge" and "literal godsend."

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Is it even His house if you have to jump through these hoops to get there? And, what about the radio silence about all of it. Do you honestly think the Lord would hide ordinances behind closed doors and not teach them openly?

I have to ask if any of you actually felt qualified to make a covenant when you went through the temple for the first time? Did you actually know what you were doing? In fact, how many members today have no idea what the ordinances mean?

When is the church actually going to live the law of consecration and stop giving it lip service?
Last edited by Reluctant Watchman on February 6th, 2023, 8:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by larsenb »

marc wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 6:52 pm
larsenb wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 6:49 pm
...Will the Lord allow them to be caught up in 'mass formations' for His own purposes?...
I don't understand what you mean by this. Please elaborate?
I assume you are questioning my use of the phrase 'mass formations'. Carl Gustaf Jung first raised this subject, but used a different descriptor: "psychic epidemics", calling them essentially the most dangerous phenomenon humans can be subject to . . . e.g.., they can lead to devastating wars, etc. They are also manipulated and created by power centers and groups in a population.

In my and many others view, the COVID-19 narrative was and certainly the following mRNA shots were, perfect examples of a 'mass formations'. They are driven primarily by fear. Particularly susceptible to this fear and gloming on to the extreme danger of COVID-19 and the mRNA shot solution to this fear, were the Woke crowd, and certain governments and population centers, particularly LA, NYC and countries such as Australia, New Zealand and Canada.

Mattias Desmet came up with the term, yet knew and/or knows nothng about CG Jung's description of the same thing.

In my view, the Brethren were caught up in this mentality, and God allowed it for His own purposes.

Apologies for being so long-winded. Does that cover it?

Fred
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fred »

The biggest lie ever told on the face of the earth was that the jab is safe and effective. Recommending the jab is attempted murder. Call it possible murder by suicide if you want. The truth is out, but the Q15 do not preach it.

Get a pen and paper out, or your word processor, and start listing the mantra of the democrat party. After you have listed a hundred or so things, see if any of them are Christlike. Nope. Every single one is dedicated to worshiping satan. Now ask yourself why it is that KSL and the Deseret News are under strict orders to follow Klaus Schwab and to avoid truth at all costs?

Even satan can preach scripture from a pulpit.

Russel M. Nelson's pals, such as Klaus Schwab, Mutt Romney, George Soros, Joe Biden, etc., are among the most evil people on the entire planet. Don't you think that if there was even a single hair of righteousness among the Q15 that they would be preaching against the UN, WEF, democrat party, government corruption, etc.

Those evil and arrogant pricks!

Anyone that really did meet Deity would be incredibly humble. Claiming to speak for God is a mighty big shoe to fill. One does not urge people to kill themselves over a corona virus. Anyone outside of an idiot would recommend building the immune system that God gave us. Vitamin D, Zinc, Vitamin C, perhaps Ivermectin, but not suicide, sterilization, getting blood clots, or any of the "normal" side effects of satan's elixir.

Anyone that thinks those morons are simply deluded is delusional themselves. The truth is out. Anyone that is so illiterate as to not know this is an imbecile.

Injecting young men and women in order to preach God's word is insane! Law requirements are not relevant in case the sub wants to remind us to follow satan's rules, regulations, ordinances, and statutes. Anyone can preach God's word. We all should. Anyone, without exception that recommends the jab is among the most evil pricks on the earth.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 7:09 pm It is even His house if you have to jump through these hoops to get there? And, what about the radio silence about all of it. Do you honestly think the Lord would hid ordinances behind closed doors and not teach them openly?
I think so. After all, wasn't Jesus born into, minister to, and strive to save even the corrupt leaders of His own house? Yes, yes he did. As for ordinances, well, depends what you call ordinances. Temple rituals were conducted in the temple. And His transfiguration? It wasn't out in the open for all to see. He went up to the mount with Peter, James, and John to commune with His Father, Elijah, and Moses. I think an ordinance happened there.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

marc wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 7:13 pm
Reluctant Watchman wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 7:09 pm It is even His house if you have to jump through these hoops to get there? And, what about the radio silence about all of it. Do you honestly think the Lord would hid ordinances behind closed doors and not teach them openly?
I think so. After all, wasn't Jesus born into, minister to, and strive to save even the corrupt leaders of His own house? Yes, yes he did. As for ordinances, well, depends what you call ordinances. Temple rituals were conducted in the temple. And His transfiguration? It wasn't out in the open for all to see. He went up to the mount with Peter, James, and John to commune with His Father, Elijah, and Moses. I think an ordinance happened there.
Do you see Jesus spending hundreds of millions of dollars on the world’s finest materials while the poor are among him?

And… asking the poverty stricken saints who have nothing, to pay money to enter the temple even though they can’t pay for their homes or their food?

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 7:14 pm
Do you see Jesus spending hundreds of millions of dollars on the world’s finest materials while the poor are among him?
Nope.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Maybe I’m just skewed by reading the Nemenhah Record. Their culture an society taught these things in such a different way. Each of the laws were taught to their children from the time they were young. The focus was not on the dead, but the living. Entering the temple and making covenants lasted days, not hours. The endowment was to learn “keys” of knowledge, that brought immense blessings to their lives. And the intended purpose was to pierce the veil.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

marc wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 7:15 pm
Reluctant Watchman wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 7:14 pm
Nope.
That is why Nephi chastised us in 2 Nephi 28.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

I know. But personally speaking, I'm not gonna abandon my neighbors and ward family. It's a screwed up world and a screwed up church. I consider it my duty as a teacher and priest to teach, preach, expound, and exhort those in my circles to repent and come unto Christ. I can't be effective in my duty by forsaking them.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

I am doing the same thing, but they kicked me out. These flaws, as you may put it, have been in place for generations. You don’t have to stay in the church to teach correct doctrine. In fact, the church has put in place policy so that you will be disciplined if you speak vocally. I honestly have no idea how some of you dance this line without being blunt with your bishop and stake president. How can you read the BoM and still feel the temple is sanctioned by God?

Maybe some of you can answer me this… when do you plan on living the law of consecration?

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

You know… I’m gonna take my own advice and kick myself off this thread. This is one of those topics that I’m quite passionate about. You guys have fun.