Temple Interview

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Re: Temple Interview

Post by marc »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 7:29 pm I am doing the same thing, but they kicked me out. These flaws, as you may put it, have been in place for generations. You don’t have to stay in the church to teach correct doctrine. In fact, the church has put in place policy so that you will be disciplined if you speak vocally. I honestly have no idea how some of you dance this line without being blunt with your bishop and stake president.

Maybe some of you can answer me this… when do you plan on living the law of consecration?
I've been living the law of consecration in my life, with my family, and with my neighbors to the best of my ability and energy and resources. But you only get a tiny window of my life through my posts on here. I can still teach correct doctrine without crossing any lines when I get up to speak in church or teach lessons.

HereWeGo
captain of 1,000

Post by HereWeGo »

In my last temple interview I answered "I support anyone who is called of God". The interviewers loved my answer and went on. I stopped giving my tithing to the trillion dollar corporation when I learned about Ensign Peak Advisors and give it in ways that support the poor. I haven't renewed my temple recommend since they changed the temple ordinance to only having sex with your legal and lawfully wedded partner. I just turn down any requests to meet with the leaders.

Forever
captain of 50

Post by Forever »

I've been a temple worker. But I've grown in knowledge and light. For me.... it would feel like great sinning against God to enter telestial temples. It would be excruitiatingly painful to see all those asleep inside.

Wolfwoman
captain of 1,000

Post by Wolfwoman »

Haven’t read all the comments. But there are ways to lawyer it. One of the definitions of sustain is to endure. So I endure them as prophets, seers and revelators.

I had a somewhat frank interview with my bishop. This was before Covid. But he was aware of some of my concerns. Then in the interview I had to answer yes or no. He made me choose one or the other. Lol So I said yes. It’s a sort of game you have to play. My hubby is still in, more than I am. So I have no desire to leave the church just to go attend somewhere else while he attends the LDS services. So for now I’m still in. If certain lines are crossed, I’m out and I’m pretty sure my husband has those same lines.

Forever
captain of 50

Post by Forever »

I understand and don't judge those who are awake who choose to still attend meetings etc. That isn't my battle.

[youtube]https://AYbBtdIXoDM[/youtube]
Last edited by Forever on February 3rd, 2023, 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forever
captain of 50

Post by Forever »

Help with posting video.

https://youtu.be/AYbBtdIXoDM

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

Forever wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 9:40 pm Help with posting video.

https://youtu.be/AYbBtdIXoDM
Only include the last letters after the last forward slash. Only include this “AYbBtdlXoDM”

Forever
captain of 50

Post by Forever »

I can't make it work.

Theveilofforgetting
captain of 50

Post by Theveilofforgetting »

My bishop and SP (who essentially backed the bishop) appreciated my honesty. I said "I think so" to many questions and "no" to things that should've excluded me.
I think they were on a blitz to have more people hold the TR so it wasn't too strict.
I was also only newly back at church so maybe they were just giving me a fair go.

I also don't mind not being too involved in church. So if I were to be 'disfellowshipped' I'd be ok. Definitely be more difficult if you are firmly entrenched and it is would depend on the leaders you have.

JandD6572
captain of 100

Post by JandD6572 »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 7:14 pm
marc wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 7:13 pm
Reluctant Watchman wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 7:09 pm It is even His house if you have to jump through these hoops to get there? And, what about the radio silence about all of it. Do you honestly think the Lord would hid ordinances behind closed doors and not teach them openly?
I think so. After all, wasn't Jesus born into, minister to, and strive to save even the corrupt leaders of His own house? Yes, yes he did. As for ordinances, well, depends what you call ordinances. Temple rituals were conducted in the temple. And His transfiguration? It wasn't out in the open for all to see. He went up to the mount with Peter, James, and John to commune with His Father, Elijah, and Moses. I think an ordinance happened there.
Do you see Jesus spending hundreds of millions of dollars on the world’s finest materials while the poor are among him?

And… asking the poverty stricken saints who have nothing, to pay money to enter the temple even though they can’t pay for their homes or their food?
AMEN BROTHER!! some of my very reasonings for leaving this corporation.

MikeMaillet
captain of 1,000

Post by MikeMaillet »

I've been to the Temple numerous times and have struggled in the past trying to understand the ordinances. It is only recently that I have begun to appreciate the significance of many of the symbols and imagery. I have not been at the Temple for quite a while now but I'm glad that I still remember much about the experience.

As for the recommend interview and the part about sustaining the Q15, the answer would be a straight, "No." A discussion would then ensue and I would then likely be looked upon as an apostate and trouble maker. Although I'm clever enough to recognize lawyer-speak, I detest it in all of its forms and will not play the game. The intent of the question is obvious and I would hate myself in the morning if I had soiled my lips with my declaration that these guys are actually Prophets, Seers and Revelators. What and whom they are is a matter for another discussion but they are definitely NOT Prophets, Seers and Revelators. I'm even beginning to question their ability to manage money; $5,000,000,000 on a shopping mall? Really?

Mike

JandD6572
captain of 100

Post by JandD6572 »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 7:31 pm You know… I’m gonna take my own advice and kick myself off this thread. This is one of those topics that I’m quite passionate about. You guys have fun.
Nah, come along for the ride, I for one agree with your thoughts and words. I was asked several times, when I was an active member, by folks who did not belong to the church if I would be willing to become ordained and marry them. I felt this was an honor and privilege. but when I talked to the stake president, you would have thought I pulled the very foundation of the church from underneath them.

Today, I have become ordained, and very excited to follow my heart, and do those things I have always desired to do, and yes, I will be preaching and teaching about faith and Jesus Christ. Not as the Mormon church teaches, but as Jesus Christ taught it.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

krp435 wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 6:14 pm I’m due for my temple interview this Sunday and I am struggling with how to answer the questions. I am still a very active member in the church. I know Joseph Smith restored the church of Jesus Christ to the earth. I want to be in the temple. I love the Book of Mormon.
Like many of you, since 2020, I’ve had to really reflect and open my eyes to signs I had been ignoring for a few years (mostly to do with talks and policies related to lgbtq). The shot push was the catalyst to allow me to finally be honest and open about my worries that *someone* at the top is working for the gadiantons. There is too much ‘off’ to sweep it under the rug. UN donations, calling the pope ‘his holiness’, not reigning in Deseret book, prophet worship, supporting gay bill, etc.

Is there anyone out there who feels the way I do, but has a current temple recommend? I’m trying to figure out how I answer the sustaining questions. It’s not that I believe the prophet and apostles are evil/nefarious. I just (for the first time) have big question marks regarding them and if they are truly working for the Lord. I DON’T KNOW. I see good fruit AND stanky fruit.
Dies sustaining mean I agree with everything? Does sustaining mean I don’t question their leadership? Does it mean I think they speak for the Lord? Can I sustain (pray for them and hope for the best), but be aware that they are men who might fall to temptation?

I feel in a bit of anguish. I really don’t want to not be in the temple, but I desire to be honest before God. Help is much appreciated.

TIA.
If I was in your position and was asked if I sustain President Nelson as a PSR etc, my reply would be "I sustain Russell M Nelson as president of the Church and recognise he is authorised to exercise all the keys he holds".
The next question about the Twelve as PSR's, I would answer "I sustain the Apostles as members of the Quorum of the Twelve".
If I was then asked follow-up questions aimed at clarifying my position, I would simply restate my answers, thus leaving the ball very firmly in the interviewers court.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

I think a few of you need to reread D&C 121. How does the Lord “authorize” anyone?

And a fun exploration would be, what are keys? What did Joseph intend to be “keys”? Can “keys” be lost? Can “keys” become rusty? Or Rusty…. If you are sustaining Rusty as a prophet or even a president.

I did a quick search on LDS.org for “keys of the priesthood” in the scriptures. Guess what, not a single reference to this phrase in the scriptures except for modern interpretations of it in D&C.
Last edited by Reluctant Watchman on February 4th, 2023, 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: February 4th, 2023, 5:16 am I think a few of you need to reread D&C 121. How does the Lord “authorize” anyone?

And a fun exploration would be, what are keys? What did Joseph intend to be “keys”? Can “keys” be lost? Can “keys” become rusty? Or Rusty…. If you are sustaining Rusty as a prophet or even a president.
If your comment was in response to my post, I think you may have missed the way I worded the phrase about keys.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Robin Hood wrote: February 4th, 2023, 5:21 am
Reluctant Watchman wrote: February 4th, 2023, 5:16 am I think a few of you need to reread D&C 121. How does the Lord “authorize” anyone?

If your comment was in response to my post, I think you may have missed the way I worded the phrase about keys.
I didn’t know you had trained as a lawyer.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

I honestly want one of you to ask your bishop and stake president, “What is the definition of the word ‘sustain’ per the teachings of the church?” Does sustain mean I agree with and follow what they teach?”

Then I want you to ask, “Do you believe the PSRs can never lead you astray?” And then quote JST Mark 9.

BTW, I’m still waiting to see how you guys justify the church in building such gaudy monstrosities while there are poor among them. Sure, Nephi was a bit more diplomatic by saying “fine sanctuaries”, but the outcome and reality are the same.
Last edited by Reluctant Watchman on February 5th, 2023, 6:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

HereWeGo wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 8:56 pm I haven't renewed my temple recommend since they changed the temple ordinance to only having sex with your legal and lawfully wedded partner.
It doesn't say "partner".

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: February 4th, 2023, 5:25 am

I don't know whether that's a compliment or a criticism.
Either way, I have never trained as a lawyer.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Robin Hood wrote: February 4th, 2023, 5:30 am
Reluctant Watchman wrote: February 4th, 2023, 5:25 am

I don't know whether that's a compliment or a criticism.
Either way, I have never trained as a lawyer.
There are a thousand ways to answer a question so as to appease authority. Tell your bishop and SP that the Oct 2021 letter has killed people. That Nelson and other apostles have taken the Lord’s name in vain. Then ask them the question I noted above, “What does the church believe sustain means?”

briznian
captain of 100

Post by briznian »

I haven’t had a recommend interview with either the bishop or stake president since I got my first recommend 25 years ago. It’s always been the counselors for me. My current bishopric counselors aren’t very nuanced so I don’t even bring anything up to them. They wouldn’t know what do do. But the second to last time I had an interview with one of the counselors in the stake presidency went pretty well:

Him: Do you sustain….yada yada
Me: <pauses to think>
Him: You hesitated, do you care to talk about it?
Me: <explains a little bit of what’s going on>
Him: Well, if President Nelson came to your ward and asked you to clean the bathrooms would you do it?
Me: Yes
Him: Works for me!

So that’s how I approach it now.
Last edited by briznian on February 5th, 2023, 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

briznian wrote: February 4th, 2023, 7:17 am I haven’t had a recommend interview with either the bishop or stake president since I got my first recommend 25 years ago. It’s always been the counselors for me. My current bishopric counselors are effectively morons so I don’t even bring anything up to them. They wouldn’t know what do do. But the second to last time I had an interview with one of the counselors in the stake presidency went pretty well:

Him: Do you sustain….yada yada
Me: <pauses to think>
Him: You hesitated, do you care to talk about it?
Me: <explains a little bit of what’s going on>
Him: Well, if President Nelson came to your ward and asked you to clean the bathrooms would you do it?
Me: Yes
Him: Works for me!

So that’s how I approach it now.
Cleaning house is certainly in order. Especially the crappers.

(More of my not-so-subtle subtly.)

InfoWarrior82
Level 34 Illuminated
Location: "There are 15 on the earth today, you can trust them completely." -President Nelson (Jan 2022)

Post by InfoWarrior82 »

HereWeGo wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 8:56 pm I haven't renewed my temple recommend since they changed the temple ordinance to only having sex with your legal and lawfully wedded partner.
Hold up!

I haven't been since before 2020...

Is this true????

HereWeGo
captain of 1,000

Post by HereWeGo »

In early 2019 or 2020, (I believe), the wording was changed concerning the law of chastity. It used to be no sexual relations with someone who is not your legally and lawfully wedded wife/husband. Each gender took this commitment individually. Now all participants take the commitment together with the words of legally and lawfully wedded spouse. No further changes will now be required for gay couples to take this vow.

Haven't been back since.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

HereWeGo wrote: February 4th, 2023, 10:55 am In early 2019 or 2020, (I believe), the wording was changed concerning the law of chastity. It used to be no sexual relations with someone who is not your legally and lawfully wedded wife/husband. Each gender took this commitment individually. Now all participants take the commitment together with the words of legally and lawfully wedded spouse. No further changes will now be required for gay couples to take this vow.

A homosexual man calls his married partner "husband". A lesbian calls her married partner "wife".
So the change in wording didn't alter the meaning or remove any obstacle to gay sealings. This change was a non-issue as far as I'm concerned.
However, if it ain't broke don't fix it, so I am concerned as to the motivation for the change.
By far the most dramatic and concerning change in recent times is to the covenant the women make.