What’s in the Mormon Memory Hole?

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Wolfwoman
captain of 1,000

What’s in the Mormon Memory Hole?

Post by Wolfwoman »

Connor Boyack: What’s in the Mormon Memory Hole?

https://youtu.be/N1trm7GWoPs

This was pretty interesting. Some things I knew about. Some things were news to me.

1775peasant
captain of 100

Re: What’s in the Mormon Memory Hole?

Post by 1775peasant »

i declare, i thought that fella was legit?

but he removed my comment in less than 12 minutes, all i did was copy & paste 2 pieces from Joseph Smith teachings, 1 from HoC & the other from the JSP papers….and asked him to explain why he then claimed in the vid that BY innovated that doctrine?

the irony of this, is just really shameful

HereWeGo
captain of 1,000

Post by HereWeGo »

I haven't looked at this video yet. I would like to tell what I learned about the JSP. There are the actual photocopies of the pages in the JSP. There is also a digital searchable copy online. I one time quoted from the digital version to back up a point I was making. People more knowledgeable than me pointed out the difference. I had quoted the corrected, "non-Joseph Smith" words. When looking at the photocopies, you can see what Joseph wrote in his own handwriting, you can see that parts are crossed out by someone else and you can see words and sentences added in someone else's handwriting. You can see that things were changed by someone after Joseph was dead. The online copy publishes the changed wording and doesn't give any indication of what it might have been before the changes.

My takeaway is that if you find something on the online version, you better go to the photocopies to see if what you are quoting isn't a changed document. Please correct me if I have mis-stated this.

Wolfwoman
captain of 1,000

Post by Wolfwoman »

1775peasant wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 9:56 am i declare, i thought that fella was legit?

but he removed my comment in less than 12 minutes, all i did was copy & paste 2 pieces from Joseph Smith teachings, 1 from HoC & the other from the JSP papers….and asked him to explain why he then claimed in the vid that BY innovated that doctrine?

Which doctrine are you talking about? I’m trying to think of the doctrines that came from Brigham Young. Interracial marriage discouraged. African descent should not have priesthood. Blood atonement. Adam-God theory. Was it one of those? Feel free to share your sources here if you feel so inclined.

1775peasant
captain of 100

Post by 1775peasant »

HereWeGo wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 2:26 pm I haven't looked at this video yet. I would like to tell what I learned about the JSP. There are the actual photocopies of the pages in the JSP. There is also a digital searchable copy online. I one time quoted from the digital version to back up a point I was making. People more knowledgeable than me pointed out the difference. I had quoted the corrected, "non-Joseph Smith" words. When looking at the photocopies, you can see what Joseph wrote in his own handwriting, you can see that parts are crossed out by someone else and you can see words and sentences added in someone else's handwriting. You can see that things were changed by someone after Joseph was dead. The online copy publishes the changed wording and doesn't give any indication of what it might have been before the changes.

My takeaway is that if you find something on the online version, you better go to the photocopies to see if what you are quoting isn't a changed document. Please correct me if I have mis-stated this.

in all the JSP volumes i’ve searched, the text shows all the changes, marked throughs…..etc that are found on the originals….there is a option to “hide” the edits though….

1775peasant
captain of 100

Post by 1775peasant »

Wolfwoman wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 3:16 pm
1775peasant wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 9:56 am i declare, i thought that fella was legit?

Which doctrine are you talking about? I’m trying to think of the doctrines that came from Brigham Young. Interracial marriage discouraged. African descent should not have priesthood. Blood atonement. Adam-God theory. Was it one of those? Feel free to share your sources here if you feel so inclined.

the vid said that BY “innovated” 4 doctrines, including the Adam/God…..

this proves clearly to me that Joseph Smith taught Adam/God……and both text & copy match with NO changes……

also in HoC V4:207-208…….10/5/1840

https://www.josephsmithpapers.org/paper ... ber-1840/3#

“and to whom Christ was first revealed, and through whom christ has been revealed from heaven and will continue to be revealed from henceforth. Adam holds the keys”

CuriousThinker
captain of 1,000

Post by CuriousThinker »

1775peasant wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 4:41 pm

this proves clearly to me that Joseph Smith taught Adam/God……and both text & copy match with NO changes……

“and to whom Christ was first revealed, and through whom christ has been revealed from heaven and will continue to be revealed from henceforth. Adam holds the keys”
Why is the mention of keys in blue?

1775peasant
captain of 100

Post by 1775peasant »

CuriousThinker wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 6:30 pm

Why is the mention of keys in blue?
it’s a link to the reference on “keys”…….just click it and see

Chip
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Chip »

That makes me very disinterested in hearing what he has to say.

It's like another person just jockeying for their place in the great and spacious building of their choosing.

Wolfwoman
captain of 1,000

Post by Wolfwoman »

Chip wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 6:34 pm

It's like another person just jockeying for their place in the great and spacious building of their choosing.
He probably just thinks the quote doesn’t prove that Joseph Smith taught Adam-God theory. I don’t think it does. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Chip
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Chip »

Wolfwoman wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 8:35 pm

He probably just thinks the quote doesn’t prove that Joseph Smith taught Adam-God theory. I don’t think it does. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Well, if his premise is open exploration of possibilities, he should have some allowance for differing views. Deleting posts without explanation is like something our peevish earthly masters would do. He could have responded to the post. Watcher Palmer deleted a post I made on his channel. Now, I don't take him seriously. Just a bunch of hot air modulating honks.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Chip wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 8:56 pm

Well, if his premise is open exploration of possibilities, he should have some allowance for differing views. Deleting posts without explanation is like something our peevish earthly masters would do. He could have responded to the post. Watcher Palmer deleted a post I made on his channel. Now, I don't take him seriously. Just a bunch of hot air modulating honks.
Unrighteous, but not dominion. 🐳

Big 👎 for that dude.

1775peasant
captain of 100

Post by 1775peasant »

Chip wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 8:56 pm

yes! and his premise is how the Church has “memory holed” certain subjects!

like i said earlier, the irony there is thicker than pea soup! lol

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Here's a few things that mainstream Mormons have forgotten:
* The Deseret Alphabet. A pretty cool attempt at a phonetic alphabet. While educated Mormons are aware of it, and I've seen it myself in church materials it is little known.
* Repeated baptisms. Not only did BY rebaptise some people but it was not uncommon for people to be baptised several times openly and officially without excommunication.
* Circumcision. Some men decided to take the Old Testament advice and lose their foreskins. Although circumcision is common among non-Jews in America, it never caught on as a religious practice among Mormons.
* "Pentecostalism". Long before the Azuza Street Revival that formed Pentecostalism, the Mormons did all that – speaking in tongues and prophesying. Nowadays "speaking in tongues" is explained away as picking up languages in the MTC, which is not the same thing at all.

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Cruiserdude »

Niemand wrote: February 4th, 2023, 7:00 am Here's a few things that mainstream Mormons have forgotten:
* The Deseret Alphabet. A pretty cool attempt at a phonetic alphabet. While educated Mormons are aware of it, and I've seen it myself in church materials it is little known.
* Repeated baptisms. Not only did BY rebaptise some people but it was not uncommon for people to be baptised several times openly and officially without excommunication.
* Circumcision. Some men decided to take the Old Testament advice and lose their foreskins. Although circumcision is common among non-Jews in America, it never caught on as a religious practice among Mormons.
* "Pentecostalism". Long before the Azuza Street Revival that formed Pentecostalism, the Mormons did all that – speaking in tongues and prophesying. Nowadays "speaking in tongues" is explained away as picking up languages in the MTC, which is not the same thing at all.
We sure were a peculiar people...

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Cruiserdude wrote: February 4th, 2023, 7:18 am
Niemand wrote: February 4th, 2023, 7:00 am Here's a few things that mainstream Mormons have forgotten:
We sure were a peculiar people...
I wish I could remember the references and sources for half of this (other than the Deseret Alphabet and rebaptism perhaps) Kirtland RM and Luke seem to be the go to people for this. There was a time when our religion wasn't as correlated.

Supporters said the Deseret Alphabet was to teach the numerous foreigners in Utah how to read English (which is notorious for its non-phonetic spelling) and opponents said it was a deliberate attempt to stop outsiders from participating in Mormon culture. It looks similar to the so called Shavian alphabet which George Bernard Shaw supported.

ransomme
captain of 1,000

Post by ransomme »

In full context it doesn't say what you are promoting.

"but he was the first to hold the spiritual blessings, the plan to whom was made known the plan of ordinances for the Salvation of his posterity unto the end, and to whom Christ was first revealed,"

Adam had to be told about the plan, the ordinances, Christ, etc. Adam had to covenant with God, had to be baptized in name of God and the Son and the HG, had to receive the Holy Ghost and become a son of God and then follow the order after the Son of God. He is not the Father, he is the first progenitor on Earth. Adam is the first of the fathers like Noah, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, etc

1775peasant
captain of 100

Post by 1775peasant »

ransomme wrote: February 4th, 2023, 7:24 am

"but he was the first to hold the spiritual blessings, the plan to whom was made known the plan of ordinances for the Salvation of his posterity unto the end, and to whom Christ was first revealed,"

Adam had to be told about the plan, the ordinances, Christ, etc. Adam had to covenant with God, had to be baptized in name of God and the Son and the HG, had to receive the Holy Ghost and become a son of God and then follow the order after the Son of God. He is not the Father, he is the first progenitor on Earth. Adam is the first of the fathers like Noah, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, etc

from the 1828 Webster Edition….

REVE'AL, verb transitive [Latin revelo; re and velo, to veil.]

1. To disclose; to discover; to show; to make known something before unknown or concealed; as, to reveal secrets.

2. To disclose, discover or make known from heaven. God has been pleased to reveal his will to man.

The wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men. Romans 1:18.

REVE'AL, noun A revealing; disclosure. [Not in use.]

Christ has been revealed 3 times in our scriptures……..each time the same declaration has been made, using a similar phrasing of words has been said during this “revealing”
Last edited by 1775peasant on February 4th, 2023, 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

ransomme
captain of 1,000

Post by ransomme »

1775peasant wrote: February 4th, 2023, 7:30 am

1. To disclose; to discover; to show; to make known something before unknown or concealed; as, to reveal secrets.

2. To disclose, discover or make known from heaven. God has been pleased to reveal his will to man.

The wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men. Romans 1:18.

Exactly, God made it known to Adam. Because Adam became a son of God (Moses 6) so we can all become sons of God.

1775peasant
captain of 100

Post by 1775peasant »

ransomme wrote: February 4th, 2023, 7:36 am

Exactly, God made it known to Adam. Because Adam became a son of God (Moses 6) so we can all become sons of God.

complete text here…..

“Commencing with Adam who was the first man of whom it is spoken of in Daniel as being “the Antient of days”3 or in other words the first and oldest of all, the great grand progenitor of whom it is said in another place he is michael4 because he was the first and father of all, not only by progeny, but he was the first to hold the spiritual blessings, the plan to whom was made known the plan of ordinances for the Salvation of his posterity unto the end, and to whom Christ was first revealed,5 and through whom christ has been revealed from heaven and will continue to be revealed from henceforth. Adam holds the keys of the dispensation of the fulness of times,”

TheChristian
captain of 100

Post by TheChristian »

My friend Niemand, Why is the Gift of Tongues not occuring today in LDS gatherings and meetings?

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

TheChristian wrote: February 4th, 2023, 12:20 pm My friend Niemand, Why is the Gift of Tongues not occuring today in LDS gatherings and meetings?
Culture and shaming. If anyone did it they would be disciplined. Our meetings are very strait-laced.

I saw the Toronto Blessing stuff first hand in the nineties and that was at the other extreme. It was total chaos. Barking. Whooping.

TheChristian
captain of 100

Post by TheChristian »

Niemand wrote: February 4th, 2023, 12:33 pm
TheChristian wrote: February 4th, 2023, 12:20 pm My friend Niemand, Why is the Gift of Tongues not occuring today in LDS gatherings and meetings?
Culture and shaming. If anyone did it they would be disciplined. Our meetings are very strait-laced.
If said Gift is not manifesting itself amongst you in your meetings today, but did so in the early days of the lds church is a concern, for it has always been the first Gift to be silenced in a church, oft a sign of a church replacing Spirituality with Respectability..........
If they are silencing the least of Gods Gifts amongst the lay members, what will they be doing to the greater gifts of the Spirit amongst them?

ransomme
captain of 1,000

Post by ransomme »

1775peasant wrote: February 4th, 2023, 7:41 am
ransomme wrote: February 4th, 2023, 7:36 am

complete text here…..

“Commencing with Adam who was the first man of whom it is spoken of in Daniel as being “the Antient of days”3 or in other words the first and oldest of all, the great grand progenitor of whom it is said in another place he is michael4 because he was the first and father of all, not only by progeny, but he was the first to hold the spiritual blessings, the plan to whom was made known the plan of ordinances for the Salvation of his posterity unto the end, and to whom Christ was first revealed,5 and through whom christ has been revealed from heaven and will continue to be revealed from henceforth. Adam holds the keys of the dispensation of the fulness of times,”
You are welcome to read what you want into the text. Simply put Michael is like unto God, not God the Father Himself. Adam received the blessing (covenant language) from God the Father.

It's very pain here and throughout the scriptures that Adam is not the Most High God/God the Father. That Adam needed the Messiah to redeem him from his sins and transgressions.

blitzinstripes
captain of 1,000

Post by blitzinstripes »

Niemand wrote: February 4th, 2023, 12:33 pm

I saw the Toronto Blessing stuff first hand in the nineties and that was at the other extreme. It was total chaos. Barking. Whooping.
I would add also, a massive lack of faith. They all run to the doctors (arm of flesh) for every little thing, yet who had the faith to heal a single person from even a common cold? They give a "blessing" and just tell the sick individual to trust the doctor, try to get some rest, and btw God loves you. At no point was a healing blessing given or received.

Until people find and exercise real faith in Christ, there will be no manifestations like that among them.