What has the Lord taught you lately?

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
LDS Physician
captain of 1,000

What has the Lord taught you lately?

Post by LDS Physician »

Thanks to John Tavner ... he reminded me in a post today that church attendees need to hear more than just the testimony that "Jesus lives" ... they need to hear personal interactions with him to boost their faith and turn them towards him.

I had one such experience recently with him and would love to hear any experiences you all have had!

I had a one hour drive ahead of me ... from our stake center to my ward building. I decided to pray during this time.

Sometimes I offer a prayer of just thanks: listing my many blessings and being as sincere and grateful in my utterances as possible. It's frustratingly limited ... thoughts and words aren't enough to thank him with.

This time, though, I decided to pour out my heart's difficulties, fears, and troubles to him. I made it clear I wasn't complaining or murmuring, but just laying these burdens at his feet and seeking his support and council. I outlined my weaknesses, bemoaned my sins and habits, discussed my marital troubles, listed my fears regarding my children, etc.

As I neared my church building, the thought came to mind that perhaps I shouldn't have bothered him with these things. I began to grow ashamed, frankly, that I just spent an hour bending his ear to hear my complaints. Here I was: a physician, driving a nice car, living in a beautiful home, making a good living, enjoying perfect health and a wonderful family ... weeping about my "first world" problems ... meanwhile, across the earth about 99.98% of humans have it much worse than me. I felt abashed and apologized to him as I entered the building, determined to not trouble him with my issues ever again.

I sat next to my wife and teenage son in sacrament meeting and noted the sacrament hymn: I Know My Redeemer Lives. Ever trying to figure out ways to teach my teenager about Christ, I asked him to sing the song with me but to focus on what the words were saying because they outline some true and wonderful attributes of the Savior. Thinking this would be a good spiritual experience for him, I would be soon surprised that it was really for me.

Singing along nicely (subjective, lol) until we got to verse 2:

He lives to comfort me when faint.

He lives to hear my soul’s complaint.

He lives to silence all my fears.

He lives to wipe away my tears.

He lives to calm my troubled heart.

He lives all blessings to impart.

Enveloped by the holy spirit, the Lord let me know through this song that my prayer to him was exactly why he's there and why he suffered the atonement for me.

How grateful and amazed I am that the Lord himself would reach out to a person like me and communicate lovingly.

We are all blessed and so fortunate to have him ... more than we'll likely ever realize.
Last edited by LDS Physician on February 2nd, 2023, 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

BigT
captain of 100

Re: What has the Lord taught you lately?

Post by BigT »

Great idea. I’ve had many in the last few months so I’ll have to give it some thought.

But… you’re in the stake presidency and you got to sit with your family in sacrament meeting?

TheDuke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by TheDuke »

The most recent thing I learned after much pondering and study has been the nature and facility of the Light of Christ. We often read of it but in the scriptures it is only in the BoM twice and D&C twice. It takes looking at the LoC then Light of Truth, etc... I wanted to understand it as it seems to be nearly inseparable from the "spirit" or "Holy Ghost". I even read an interesting article that was pointed to on LDS FF a while back (at least to the menu) of John P Pratt. He discussed the physics and cosmological aspects of the definitions of both light and the LoC. I now see that like our natural light the LoC pervades the spiritual plane/universe. the LoC is the medium that communicates from spirit to spirit. All truth is spread by this medium. Our truth comes from god according to D&C 88 and 93. so the LoC is the medium that god communicates with our souls via our spirit.

LoC is like the Internet, the structure or medium or at least the Light of Truth is. The LoC transcends Jesus, it is for all the god's. However, in this create, the LoC adds a higher layer of knowledge or truth through Jesus to us. So, all truth available to us, via our spirits comes from god through "Christ" Jesus to us. So, it makes sense how the LoC and/LoT can pre-exist Jesus but also be in, of and through him. Lastly, I see how the HG, a separate being and member of the godhead, may also use the LoC to communicate his teachings or intelligence or knowledge or feelings to us as well.

So, the light shines through as the Lord taught me how to put these disparate teachings together to both comprehend how we are touched by the spirit by the Father, Jesus and HG and even our own conscience which is our spirit obtaining truth over the medium of the LoC directly from god w/o even needing to believe in Jesus or have the gift of the HG or even believing in the Father.

Sunain
captain of 1,000

Post by Sunain »

Timing is everything. When prayers and things don't seem to be working out as we'd expect, the Lord's timing is different than ours. He knows what is best for us.

Ecclesiastes 3:1 - To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven

Lately, I've noticed as I reflect upon my recent past, I'm amazed at how perfectly things work out but definitely not as I anticipated or imagined and if the timing wasn't exact, it probably won't have turned out the way it did. I credit the Lord for answering my prayers in His timing, and not mine. It's definitely frustrating at times and I still struggle with wanting things accomplished more swiftly but I'm learning to trust that the Lord will answer my prayers when the timing is right.

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Cruiserdude »

Sunain wrote: February 1st, 2023, 6:06 pm Timing is everything. When prayers and things don't seem to be working out as we'd expect, the Lord's timing is different than ours. He knows what is best for us.

Ecclesiastes 3:1 - To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven

Lately, I've noticed as I reflect upon my recent past, I'm amazed at how perfectly things work out but definitely not as I anticipated or imagined and if the timing wasn't exact, it probably won't have turned out the way it did. I credit the Lord for answering my prayers in His timing, and not mine. It's definitely frustrating at times and I still struggle with wanting things accomplished more swiftly but I'm learning to trust that the Lord will answer my prayers when the timing is right.
I sure needed this, thanks for sharing!

Being There
captain of 1,000

Post by Being There »

What has the Lord taught me lately?

is that it's all about people - life is all about people and your relationship with them -
to love and serve them - as He did.
And to be like Him.
nothing else really matters.

"Therefore, what manner of men ought ye to be?
Verily I say unto you, even as I am."

3 Nephi 27:27

"Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect."

He gave His life (literally) to us.
Loving teaching and serving people His whole life.

Jesus said
"But he that is greatest among you shall be your servant."

"And behold, I tell you these things that ye may learn wisdom;
that ye may learn that when ye are in the service of
your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God."

Mosiah Chapter 2:17

40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you,
Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren,
ye have done it unto me.

Matthew 25:40

"I am the way, the truth, and the life:
no man cometh unto the Father, but by me."

John 14:6

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

How obtuse all but a very few are.

farmerchick
captain of 1,000

Post by farmerchick »

I've learned over a lifetime that no matter how perfectly I plan, cuz I'm a planner, things always go wrong.....my best laid plans are never as good as His.....and sometimes when my plans fail, it really is in my best interest in the long run. The universe is indeed connected and all things work for His good.....as long as I'm aligned as much as an imperfect mortal can be with His purposes and surrender my will to his...even a spectacularly grand failure can be a win....I experienced a win today that took almost 15 years to happen.....i am humbled that as I respected the agency of a wayward child (who is now over thirty) and persistently called upon the Lord, sometimes with fear and an extremely broken heart, my prayers have been answered in unexpected mysterious ways. You never know who the servants of the Lord will be, how they will answer the prayer or when, but as I stand all amazed at the Lords mysterious ways and timeline...i am grateful and my faith in things that are true but not seen strengthened........may we all be His servants to bless those we meet and those we associate with everywhere....and be a part of the connected universe working for the Lords purposes and be diligently engaged always, in the work of the gospel of Jesus Christ having charity ( the pure love of Christ) for All....I believe charity is the essence of the gospel in the purest form possible...and possibly the most difficult principle/attribute for most of us to really grasp and practice....the smallest act of kindness or service can change someone's life forever.....you can never know when you've been instrumental in changing a heart or a life ...but the Lord knows....when ye are in the service of your fellow beings, ye are in the service of your God...Mosiah 2.17....never truer words were spoken...... May the Lord be as good to each of you in your personal struggles and successes as he has been to me...15 years really wasn't that long to wait for a miracle/answered prayer that I never expected to see in this life.
....Praise be to our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ......HE IS GOOD.....and loves us all perfectly....!

LDS Physician
captain of 1,000

Post by LDS Physician »

BigT wrote: February 1st, 2023, 4:55 pm Great idea. I’ve had many in the last few months so I’ll have to give it some thought.

But… you’re in the stake presidency and you got to sit with your family in sacrament meeting?
First Sunday of each month we attend our home ward. Sometimes I play "hooky" from visiting other units when I feel like my wife shouldn't be alone at church. ;)

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

I am being taught how to overcome the fear and judgment of man.

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Post by Subcomandante »

The OP is a fantastic idea!

What the Lord has taught me over the past month, is that appearences can be deceiving. We are counseled that we are to look upon the heart of an individual.

I have become too judgmental of people that think differently from I do. This is a major defect that I have that I need to rectify.

I also have learned a little about how many of the other religions out there also have eschatological markers, and they are likewise being fulfilled. I have learned of the need to prepare myself and my family for the things that are about to happen in very short order.

Momma J
captain of 1,000

Post by Momma J »

The Lord is teaching me to rejoice in his glory. There is much good around me if I open my heart to see. I am learning to have more faith.

I too pray when I drive. I find it is a good time for quiet reflection. I take a longer way home that avoids the stress of heavy(er) traffic.

I have been overwhelmed lately with working for a couple companies, helping my wonderful husband navigate his progressive journey with PD, helping my dear widowed neighbor... basic life struggles.

Last night I knelt by my bed in prayer. I honestly do not know if I was still awake when I climbed into bed. But I do recall "feeling" the words, "Rest, I am watching the gate."

This morning I awoke refreshed both physically and mentally. My workload is the same, yet it does not feel insurmountable.

On my desk this morning was the following scripture, courtesy of our purchasing manager .

Matthew 19:26
“But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.”

Ado
captain of 100

Post by Ado »

Here is my recent experience being taught by the Lord. It's ongoing.
I've recently begun studying the scriptures differently than just reading through them. I pick a question (I have many in a list) I want to understand better and use the scriptures to research the subject. After all my note-taking, I try to write out the answer to my question using what I studied. It's been a good experience and I feel like I'm getting more out of my scripture study by doing this. Last night I spent a while researching about the stern rebuke the Lord gave the Saints in D&C 95. I didn't want just a general understanding of it - I wanted to really understand personally what the Lord meant when He said the Saints had sinned "a very grievous sin" as He worded it, and what exactly that had to do with the Lord's desire to "bring to pass my strange act, that I may pour out my Spirit upon all flesh." So I went into a study on what the Lord's "strange act" means to try to get a better understanding. This led me in particular to study Isaiah 28, and when I was done, I felt I had just had the best scripture study I think I've ever had. In answer to my question, I wrote this after my study:
"Ephraim's beauty is fading because of her pride, and the pride and worthlessness of her shepherds. The Lord is preparing a force to overtake Ephraim, like Assyria before. Those who have covenanted with death will fall. Those who remain will be those children who have been weaned from the milk, who are ready to be given meat little by little, line upon line. This is the strange work of the Lord, to build Zion upon His foundation, Jesus Christ. Like the parable of the plowman, His work will be swift and strong among some as with a rod and staff, and gentle with others. He knows all of His people, and how to build them. He will pour out His Spirit through a reproving and refining process (Proverbs 1:23) so His people may know His words, walk in His way, obey Him (Ezekiel 36:27), prophecy, and dream dreams (Acts 2:17.) When Ephraim is overrun, Zion will remain with the Lord Himself as her crown of glory."

After my study, I laid in bed pondering about all of the uncertainty and doubt I have been feeling within the last year, and my inability to find rest in my own faith. I suddenly felt ashamed of myself for being so bitter and so absorbed in my own doubts, and I prayed and asked the Lord to not give up on me.
I fell asleep and had a dream where I was in a room with a few other people walking around while I sat in a desk. It looked like a classroom, but the desks were all scattered. A man was walking around the chaotic mess of desks and asking a question I have been praying about for the last year, but haven't been able to receive an answer to. He kept repeating the question out loud. Suddenly I felt someone come up behind me and they touched my shoulder, and I suddenly saw a scene in front of me where I was a teenager, kneeling in prayer by my bed and asking the same question I was asking and being asked now. The person whose hand was on my shoulder asked me what I was seeing. I told him: "I see myself about 15 years ago, asking that same question."
He then asked me, "What happened after you asked it?"
And I said "I received my answer, undeniable. I knew the answer to my question with absolute certainty."
He asked, "How did you know it?"
I said, "I was filled with the Holy Spirit, so that I knew."
The man behind me said, "Yes, and it was according to your faith that you experienced this mighty change of heart." Then he walked away.
So remembering I had already received an answer to the question, I raised my hand with excitement. I said I had the answer, I had only forgotten. A woman came over and stood in front of me and said,
"What is the answer?"
So I told her the answer. She shook her head and said,
"No, testify to me. I want you to bear your witness of this answer with the same faith you had when you received it. I want to know if you can feel it now."
So I thought back on the memory and tried to exude the same enthusiasm, the same joy, and the same knowledge that I had received, but it felt fuzzy, flat, and insincere. I started to feel frustrated and ashamed. I admitted I didn't quite feel it anymore. I couldn't quite muster the same faith I once had. I said I was sorry.
The woman softened and comfortingly suggested I could keep trying.
I woke up, quickly opened to Alma 5, read it, and realized I am being reproved. And I think I feel grateful for that.

Dusty Wanderer
captain of 1,000

Post by Dusty Wanderer »

LDS Physician wrote: February 1st, 2023, 11:33 am Thanks to John Tavner ... he reminded me in a post today that church attendees need to hear more than just the testimony that "Jesus lives" ... they need to hear personal interactions with him to boost their faith and turn them towards him.

I had one such experience recently with him and would love to hear any experiences you all have had!

I had a one hour drive ahead of me ... from our stake center to my ward building. I decided to pray during this time.

Sometimes I offer a prayer of just thanks: listing my many blessings and being as sincere and grateful in my utterances as possible. It's frustratingly limited ... thoughts and words aren't enough to thank him with.

This time, though, I decided to pour out my heart's difficulties, fears, and troubles to him. I made it clear I wasn't complaining or murmuring, but just laying these burdens at his feet and seeking his support and council. I outlined my weaknesses, bemoaned my sins and habits, discussed my marital troubles, listed my fears regarding my children, etc.

As I neared my church building, the thought came to mind that perhaps I shouldn't have bothered him with these things. I began to grow ashamed, frankly, that I just spent an hour bending his ear to hear my complaints. Here I was: a physician, driving a nice car, living in a beautiful home, making a good living, enjoying perfect health and a wonderful family ... weeping about my "first world" problems ... meanwhile, across the earth about 99.98% of humans have it much worse than me. I felt abashed and apologized to him as I entered the building, determined to not trouble him with my issues ever again.

I sat next to my wife and teenage son in sacrament meeting and noted the sacrament hymn: I Know My Redeemer Lives. Ever trying to figure out ways to teach my teenager about Christ, I asked him to sing the song with me but to focus on what the words were saying because they outline some true and wonderful attributes of the Savior. Thinking this would be a good spiritual experience for him, I would be soon surprised that it was really for me.

Enveloped by the holy spirit, the Lord let me know through this song that my prayer to him was exactly why he's there and why he suffered the atonement for me.

How grateful and amazed I am that the Lord himself would reach out to a person like me and communicate lovingly.

We are all blessed and so fortunate to have him ... more than we'll likely ever realize.
Thanks for this thread. It's been good and I'm giving some thought to it.

If you don't mind me asking, when you were praying in your car, was it vocally or in silent? I'm just curious.

LDS Physician
captain of 1,000

Post by LDS Physician »

Dusty Wanderer wrote: February 2nd, 2023, 4:51 pm
LDS Physician wrote: February 1st, 2023, 11:33 am Thanks to John Tavner ... he reminded me in a post today that church attendees need to hear more than just the testimony that "Jesus lives" ... they need to hear personal interactions with him to boost their faith and turn them towards him.

If you don't mind me asking, when you were praying in your car, was it vocally or in silent? I'm just curious.
Mostly silent with occasional utterances

Momma J
captain of 1,000

Post by Momma J »

LDS Physician wrote: February 2nd, 2023, 9:20 pm

(I know that you did not ask me...)

Many of my prayers are formal, but many are more informal... as if I am speaking with the Lord, as one might have a conversation with a trusted friend. (but more reverent, if that makes sense)

My prayers are in my head mostly. But, I often begin with a few lines or verses of a hymn that I sing aloud. (many times in tears because the song is touching my heart)

Have you ever had a bad day and then sang
Heavenly Father, are you really there?
And do you hear and answer ev'ry child's prayer?
Some say that heaven is far away,
But I feel it close around me as I pray.

Then I roll right into the prayer.

or
More holiness give me,
More strivings within,
More patience in suff'ring,
More sorrow for sin,
More faith in my Savior,
More sense of his care,
More joy in his service,
More purpose in prayer.
... side note... sometimes my prayers are one word.
"Why?"
or
"Please!"

He knows my heart and knows that I struggle. The important part is a complete connection. Prayers are all through the day. The Lord is here for us.

LDS Physician
captain of 1,000

Post by LDS Physician »

Momma J wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 6:57 am
LDS Physician wrote: February 2nd, 2023, 9:20 pm

(I know that you did not ask me...)

Many of my prayers are formal, but many are more informal... as if I am speaking with the Lord, as one might have a conversation with a trusted friend. (but more reverent, if that makes sense)

My prayers are in my head mostly. But, I often begin with a few lines or verses of a hymn that I sing aloud. (many times in tears because the song is touching my heart)

Have you ever had a bad day and then sang
Heavenly Father, are you really there?
And do you hear and answer ev'ry child's prayer?
Some say that heaven is far away,
But I feel it close around me as I pray.

Then I roll right into the prayer.

or
More holiness give me,
More strivings within,
More patience in suff'ring,
More sorrow for sin,
More faith in my Savior,
More sense of his care,
More joy in his service,
More purpose in prayer.
... side note... sometimes my prayers are one word.
"Why?"
or
"Please!"

He knows my heart and knows that I struggle. The important part is a complete connection. Prayers are all through the day. The Lord is here for us.
Exactly! I pray exactly like you do! Well, the hymn part I don't do ... but I love that!

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

When I prayed about taking the Cop-vax, I rep'd a clear answer that I was not anticipating. Not a Yes or a No, but this:

"Natural laws will apply."

Not that this answer necessarily applies the same to everyone everywhere, but to me it was VERY meaningful. It meant to me that I should GATHER all the DATA that I could, and be discerning to get accurate DATA - because natural laws would apply to me, whichever course I took.

Now here's an addendum. Not everything we are taught in school (including the university) represents truth - actual natural law. Not a surprise to most of you, I think. But it means that we - or rather I - need to be open to OBSErVATIONS that may contradict what I learned in textbooks, and at Universities etc.

And that is how I'm proceeding with the study of "freedom energy" - which my colleagues in the BYU Physics Dept. voted against my speaking about. (They took a vote and cancelled my Colloquium on this topic in Sept. 2012, which had already been publicly announced. ).

True natural laws will still apply going forward - regardless of what a group of scientists or politicians THINK is fact or natural law. Also, prophecies will be fulfilled concerning the last days and the 2nd coming of Jesus Christ.
That is what the Lord has taught me.

moving2zion
captain of 100

Post by moving2zion »

I learned that the things I plan for are not the trials the Lord has in store for me. The events I don't plan on or prepare for are the ones that happen.

Kairos
Hi, I'm new.

Post by Kairos »

The incident written here is what we in evangelical circles would call a close moment! Defined as an unexpected feeling deep in one’s heart of God’s unfailing love often to the point of bringing tears to one’s eyes. Often we call this a grace moment or the gift of tears. Experienced across faith traditions a “close moment “ is not simply emotional feelings as one might at a certain hearing of the Star Spangled Banner. In a close moment the Holy Spirit releases a feeling of God’s pure and deep love within him or her who have authentically and humbly surrender everything to Christ’s Lordship.
Christians should share these close moments with each other in communities and with non-believers to bring them to Christ. My last close moment was a week ago when a brother took my 25 year old bible all wrapped in tape and glued pages-he looked it over, seeing its raggedy appearance and hundred of pen markups , handed it back to me and said one word “precious”. I began to tear up and weep for that response had given the Spirit cause to show me God’s deep love for, a sinner simply trying to know and stay close His Lord.

cab
captain of 1,000
Location: ♫ I am a Mormon! ♫ And... dang it... a Mormon just believes! ♫

Post by cab »

The Lord spoke this word to me on Monday as I pondered on Him:

“Oh the opportunity to seek to behold the face of the Lord! For this is what Jesus brought us, the opportunity to behold Him and His everlasting kindness and mercy and the healing love that is in His wings, for us His little lambs! For God is spirit and our God is a spirit who may dwell within our hearts and set the throne of His kingdom there! Our beloved Savior Jesus is He who was the revelation of God’s work to us. For He is the finished work and the perfected one who came and dwelt among us to show us The Way and His Way, for this is Him who is now called the Way, for so perfectly He walks it that it has become his title and namesake, which name of goodness He seeks to imprint upon us if we would just have Him… for when we let Him in, He showers all His goodness of His house upon us. For like a good Father or Good Husband He puts even His own name upon us. He puts the ring of inheritance upon our finger and kisses us and gives us the entire bounty of His house and shared with us all of what He himself enjoys! Oh how great is the love of He who calls after us and seeks to gather us in!“

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Some of these posts made me cry (in a good way). Thank you op, and thank you to those who shared these stories of the Lord caring for us and about us - even things we deem too small for him to care about, but are big to us.