Ward called to repentance for not doing enough missionary work. Anyone else?

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
1775peasant
captain of 100

Re: Ward called to repentance for not doing enough missionary work. Anyone else?

Post by 1775peasant »

Wolfwoman wrote: January 31st, 2023, 10:09 pm We had stake conference this past Sunday and there was a push to do more missionary work. I wouldn’t say it was harsh or a call to repentance. It was said in love - truly. But yes, we were asked to do as much sharing the gospel as we have been doing temple and family history work (we do a lot of that in our stake).

i probably should just stay silent, (no “missionary push” here)…….but our Stake had conference this past wk-end as well, we only went to the Sunday portion….i had not been to a a stake conference since Jan ‘20…..

there where many more attendees than i had figured….so we sat on the very back row of the cultural hall chairs…..

for 2 hours i watched the same adults constantly getting up and chasing their kids or constantly going to the bathroom or just walking around in general, hanging out talking with other adults….etc….i’ll come back to this at the end.

the talks where just a constant quote-a-thon of RMN, especially from the SP & Presiding 70….i could have missed, but i only heard 1 quote referenced from another source, and it was from ETB…..i almost fell outa my chair!

the 70’s closing talk was just a great big “Mr Nice Guy” singing the praises of RMN…..

as the time grew towards the end of the meeting, all that came to my mind was, …..just how irreverent & inconsiderate so many members are in this area,,,,,and that i should not even for a moment question why the talks where as they where, and why our Stake is lead by those leading it…..

cause we get, exactly what we deserve…..MYSELF INCLUDED!

so, no….there was no admonition here to strive harder to bring others, nor do i see one coming anytime soon
Last edited by 1775peasant on February 1st, 2023, 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

anonymous91
captain of 100

Re: Ward called to repentance for not doing enough missionary work. Anyone else?

Post by anonymous91 »

Apparently, the Church loves "extroverts" more than "introverts". ;)

Pahoran
captain of 100

Post by Pahoran »

1775peasant wrote: February 1st, 2023, 10:52 am
Wolfwoman wrote: January 31st, 2023, 10:09 pm We had stake conference this past Sunday and there was a push to do more missionary work. I wouldn’t say it was harsh or a call to repentance. It was said in love - truly. But yes, we were asked to do as much sharing the gospel as we have been doing temple and family history work (we do a lot of that in our stake).

i probably should just stay silent, (no “missionary push” here)…….but our Stake had conference this past wk-end as well, we only went to the Sunday portion….i had not been to a a stake conference since Jan ‘20…..

there where many more attendees than i had figured….so we sat on the very back row of the cultural hall chairs…..

for 2 hours i watched the same adults constantly getting up and chasing their kids or constantly going to the bathroom or just walking around in general, hanging out talking with other adults….etc….i’ll come back to this at the end.

the talks where just a constant quote-a-thon of RMN, especially from the SP & Presiding 70….i could have missed, but i only heard 1 quote referenced from another source, and it was from ETB…..i almost fell outa my chair!

the 70’s closing talk was just a great big “Mr Nice Guy” singing the praises of RMN…..

as the time grew towards the end of the meeting, all that came to my mind was, …..just how irrelevant & inconsiderate so many members are in this area,,,,,and that i should not even for a moment question why the talks where as they where, and why our Stake is lead by those leading it…..

cause we get, exactly what we deserve…..MYSELF INCLUDED!

so, no….there was no admonition here to strive harder to bring others, nor do i see one coming anytime soon
Thanks for sharing. What might I ask was the ETB quote?

1775peasant
captain of 100

Post by 1775peasant »

i don’t recall, it was 1 i’d never heard or read….it was directed at something to do with Church councils….

but the fact that another source was referenced, and it came from one i refer to as a polar opposite from RMN, just floored me

1775peasant
captain of 100

Post by 1775peasant »

anonymous91 wrote: February 1st, 2023, 11:03 am Apparently, the Church loves "extroverts" more than "introverts". ;)

from my perspective, ur being overly generous….

to my likely peril, i have become “overly” cynical & quite biased pertaining to Church related subjects of late……

Fight for the right
captain of 100

Post by Fight for the right »

AZRob wrote: January 31st, 2023, 9:10 pm No big push in my ward/stake. I don't feel the need to share any more. I don't mind talking about the Book of Mormon, but I'm not proud of what my church has become. It no longer stands for anything except moving into the great and spacious building alongside the UN. There's also too much talk of worshiping the prophet ahead of the word of the Lord or the scriptures.
I to feel the same way somewhat. But the thing I need to remember is the Priesthood Power to Baptize and confer the gift of the Holy Spirit along with other ordinances is still in the Church. I have some amazing neighbors with six children who do the best they can with what they have in following Christ. Can I in good conscience not introduce the teachings of Jesus Christ Church because I don't have much faith in some of the leadership. Can I tell Christ that when I stand in front of him.

largerthanlife2
captain of 100

Post by largerthanlife2 »

If the church won't spend its billions on advertising to help bring people into the church, why should I care?

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

Fight for the right wrote: February 1st, 2023, 12:00 pm
AZRob wrote: January 31st, 2023, 9:10 pm No big push in my ward/stake. I don't feel the need to share any more. I don't mind talking about the Book of Mormon, but I'm not proud of what my church has become. It no longer stands for anything except moving into the great and spacious building alongside the UN. There's also too much talk of worshiping the prophet ahead of the word of the Lord or the scriptures.
I to feel the same way somewhat. But the thing I need to remember is the Priesthood Power to Baptize and confer the gift of the Holy Spirit along with other ordinances is still in the Church. I have some amazing neighbors with six children who do the best they can with what they have in following Christ. Can I in good conscience not introduce the teachings of Jesus Christ Church because I don't have much faith in some of the leadership. Can I tell Christ that when I stand in front of him.
Study the examples of Abinadi and Alma. You don’t need a corrupt church to bring people to Christ. In fact, I’d say you can’t accomplish what you outlined w/in the LDS church due to the baggage that is attached. The church brings people to worship men. YOU can bring people to Christ and not invite them to join the LDS church. And yes, that includes baptism. You just need to go directly to the source for the authorization, just as Alma did.

EDIT: Are you bringing people to Christ in a church that teaches various anti-Christian dogmas? I would also suggest you take a really hard look at what the temple has become. There is not a single record for what Joseph taught. None. You can teach them the true principles of the gospel, of sacrifice, or virtue, as well as consecration, without becoming beholden to men. I truly believe in a day when the Lord will raise up a Remnant of the House of Israel upon this and many other lands.

Fight for the right
captain of 100

Question for you Watchman. Who has the authority to Baptize on the earth at this time.

Fight for the right
captain of 100

I at present am beholding to no man. Another question. If I sin do you get punished for it. Does my Priesthood get taken away because of someone defiling Christ Church.

Fight for the right
captain of 100

I agree 100 percent with you that Christ will raise up a remnant of the house of Israel. I live in an area of 5 first Nations reserves. The Mic Mac Indians. THEY ARE THE DESCENDANTS OF LEHI. I have served on the largest first Nations reserve in the eastern provinces of Canada. I'm retiring soon and will be serving full time teaching them from the Book of Mormon.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Fight for the right wrote: February 2nd, 2023, 5:33 am Question for you Watchman. Who has the authority to Baptize on the earth at this time.
Anyone who receives that authorization from the Savior. I believe there are many who have that authorization. I have friends who have baptized (or re-baptized) their families.

Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Luke »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: February 2nd, 2023, 5:52 am
Fight for the right wrote: February 2nd, 2023, 5:33 am Question for you Watchman. Who has the authority to Baptize on the earth at this time.
Anyone who receives that authorization from the Savior. I believe there are many who have that authorization. I have friends who have baptized (or re-baptized) their families.
Spot on. I can bear witness to the truth of this statement.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Fight for the right wrote: February 2nd, 2023, 5:43 am I at present am beholding to no man. Another question. If I sin do you get punished for it. Does my Priesthood get taken away because of someone defiling Christ Church.
BTW, you are, in order for you to enter the waters of baptism, you sustain the leader of the LDS corp. Every person who enters the temple commits to obey church leaders. Every time you renew that recommend you are renewing that commitment. Sure, you may have your own definition of the word “sustain”, but the church explicitly teaches that to sustain is to obey, to make a covenant to follow your leaders.

EDIT: as far as priesthood, we are taught beautifully that priesthood is only valid when exercised in righteousness. When done with any degree of unrighteousness it is removed. Can you honestly tell yourself that “compulsion” is not used in the church today? My temple recommend was going to be revoked if I didn’t wear a damn mask at the invitation of my stake president. Instead, I was released from my calling on the high council.

36 That the rights of the priesthood are inseparably connected with the powers of heaven, and that the powers of heaven cannot be controlled nor handled only upon the principles of righteousness.
37 That they may be conferred upon us, it is true; but when we undertake to cover our sins, or to gratify our pride, our vain ambition, or to exercise control or dominion or compulsion upon the souls of the children of men, in any degree of unrighteousness, behold, the heavens withdraw themselves; the Spirit of the Lord is grieved; and when it is withdrawn, Amen to the priesthood or the authority of that man.

39 We have learned by sad experience that it is the nature and disposition of almost all men, as soon as they get a little authority, as they suppose, they will immediately begin to exercise unrighteous dominion.
Last edited by Reluctant Watchman on February 2nd, 2023, 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fight for the right
captain of 100

I sustain Jesus Christ as leader of his Church.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Fight for the right wrote: February 2nd, 2023, 5:59 am I sustain Jesus Christ as leader of his Church.
Does Christ “sustain” a church that teaches philosophies that contradict His gospel? That is the question we need to be asking…

He will not:

10 And thus commandeth the Father that I should say unto you: At that day when the Gentiles shall sin against my gospel, and shall reject the fulness of my gospel, and shall be lifted up in the pride of their hearts above all nations, and above all the people of the whole earth, and shall be filled with all manner of lyings, and of deceits, and of mischiefs, and all manner of hypocrisy, and murders, and priestcrafts, and whoredoms, and of secret abominations; and if they shall do all those things, and shall reject the fulness of my gospel, behold, saith the Father, I will bring the fulness of my gospel from among them.
11 And then will I remember my covenant which I have made unto my people, O house of Israel, and I will bring my gospel unto them.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Only those how follow the teaching of Jesus constitute His church. Hence why we spend great amounts of time and energy studying what His gospel really is.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Here is the most succinct way in which I believe the church acknowledges that they teach philosophies contrary to Christ’s teachings, and they admit it through their own omission: https://www.reluctantwatchman.com/hand-foot-eye

The church KNOWS what they are doing and they know it is wrong. At least someone does… how many? I have no idea.
Last edited by Reluctant Watchman on February 2nd, 2023, 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fight for the right
captain of 100

There were many men in leadership positions from the beginning of the restoration of Christ's Church that defiled it. The Priesthood remains.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Fight for the right wrote: February 2nd, 2023, 6:05 am There were many men in leadership positions from the beginning of the restoration of Christ's Church that defiled it. The Priesthood remains.
But only based upon the requirement I stated above. And, you have to reconcile the story of Alma in the BoM. The Lord will not claim an organization that defies his gospel. They will bring ruin upon their own heads.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

FFTR, how do you define the word sustain, and do you know how the church defines that word?

InfoWarrior82
Level 34 Illuminated
Location: "There are 15 on the earth today, you can trust them completely." -President Nelson (Jan 2022)

Post by InfoWarrior82 »

After support for the federal gay marriage law, good luck trying to convert any Christian with their head screwed on straight.... no pun intended.
Last edited by InfoWarrior82 on February 2nd, 2023, 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Post by Subcomandante »

Our Fifth Sunday class was likewise about missionary work, but it was more of an orientation over who can be called to serve missions and what parameters a mission has (Service mission vs Full Time mission). We have had quite a few baptisms in our ward as of late; confirmations are happening almost every Sunday now these days. Perhaps it is so the newer members can be oriented into what missionary work is all about.

For those where fire and brimstone was preached, I am so sorry. Such a talk would make me LESS inclined, not more, to serve a mission.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Subcomandante wrote: February 2nd, 2023, 8:09 am Our Fifth Sunday class was likewise about missionary work, but it was more of an orientation over who can be called to serve missions and what parameters a mission has (Service mission vs Full Time mission). We have had quite a few baptisms in our ward as of late; confirmations are happening almost every Sunday now these days. Perhaps it is so the newer members can be oriented into what missionary work is all about.
That's an excellent question we should be re-evaluating in the church today.

Gadianton Slayer
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Gadianton Slayer »

Fight for the right wrote: February 2nd, 2023, 6:05 am There were many men in leadership positions from the beginning of the restoration of Christ's Church that defiled it. The Priesthood remains.
D&C 121 would suggest otherwise. Priesthood isn’t given to an organization, it’s given to an individual.