Renlund, we have a Moses among us.

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Renlund, we have a Moses among us.

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

Interesting remarks from Renlund. He groups a variety of things into "missing the mark."
1. Prophet
2. Sacrament
3. Scriptures
4. Commandments

"Elder Renlund warns against ‘spiritual hyperopia’ and ‘looking beyond the mark’:
Jacob foresaw the people of Jerusalem in Christ’s time, calling them “a stiffnecked people” who were “looking beyond the mark” (Jacob 4:14) and missed the Savior of the world.

“In our day,” Elder Renlund said, “we must also guard against spiritual hyperopia. We do not want to miss the treasures that God has placed within our reach because we are focused on other things in the distance.”
The teachings of today’s Prophet, President Russell M. Nelson, are easily accessible. “And sometimes, because it is so familiar and it is so common, we overlook what it means to have a Moses among us, to have someone whose primary audience is the Lord Jesus Christ, who receives direction and promptings and seeks to have the Savior’s Church become what the Savior wants.”
https://www.thechurchnews.com/leaders/2 ... devotional

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Renlund, we have a Moses among us.

Post by Original_Intent »

Christ is HIS audience? Also, Conference finds no lack of kissing up.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Original_Intent wrote: January 31st, 2023, 5:49 pm Christ is HIS audience? Also, Conference finds no lack of kissing up.
Just like Moses, face to face, I guess.

cyclOps
captain of 1,000

Post by cyclOps »

Amen

Trucker
captain of 1,000

Post by Trucker »

You know the thing is, replace these claims with Warren Jeffs and it just sounds ridiculous.
The teachings of today’s Prophet, President Warren Jeffs, are easily accessible. “And sometimes, because it is so familiar and it is so common, we overlook what it means to have a Moses among us, to have someone whose primary audience is the Lord Jesus Christ, who receives direction and promptings and seeks to have the Savior’s Church become what the Savior wants.”
This constant appeal to authority "just because we say so" is so tiresome. When Jesus was on the earth, there were signs he was the Messiah and he had fruits of being the Messiah. When Joseph Smith was alive on earth he produced good fruits, like the Book of Mormon, visions, revelations. All we get now is passive aggressive guilt trips that we should see our leaders like Moses or the Savior or whatever, yet without the fruits.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

The irony here is killing me:
Elder Renlund referred to Doctrine and Covenants 84:57, where the Lord warned that treating lightly the Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants and other things would lead to condemnation.

“We so easily and flippantly say, ‘These are just Sunday School kind of answers — that you read the scriptures to solve every problem,’” he said. “It doesn’t solve every problem, but to get out from under that condemnation, we treasure these scriptures that people have given their lives for that people have done all they could to make it possible for us to have in our pocket. And as we live by them and as we study them, that is how God reveals to us.”
The problem is we do treat the BoM lightly and don't "live by them" in many regards.

https://www.reluctantwatchman.com/the-b ... lds-church

Chip
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Chip »

Some of this stuff coming out of the church makes me think that I need to get my family out ASAP, lest we risk getting sucked into some crazy stuff in the future, perhaps amid some greater societal crisis. I think it would be better to get completely independent before they roll out the next big weirdness. They are getting just like cult leaders who sense things slipping and they come up with new provocations to yank, yank, YANK on those psychological drawstrings. All fear based, too - nothing happy about calling the church "the Savior" or considering RMN to be "a Moses". It's all just claustrophobic and suffocating. Weird, too, that many members are just giddy about stuff like this.

Mamabear
captain of 1,000

Post by Mamabear »

Chip wrote: January 31st, 2023, 6:22 pm Some of this stuff coming out of the church makes me think that I need to get my family out ASAP, lest we risk getting sucked into some crazy stuff in the future, perhaps amid some greater societal crisis. I think it would be better to get completely independent before they roll out the next big weirdness. They are getting just like cult leaders who sense things slipping and they come up with new provocations to yank, yank, YANK on those psychological drawstrings. All fear based, too - nothing happy about calling the church "the Savior" or considering RMN to be "a Moses". It's all just claustrophobic and suffocating. Weird, too, that many members are just giddy about stuff like this.
RUN.

TwochurchesOnly
captain of 1,000

Post by TwochurchesOnly »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: January 31st, 2023, 5:46 pm Interesting remarks from Renlund. He groups a variety of things into "missing the mark."
1. Prophet
2. Sacrament
3. Scriptures
4. Commandments

"Elder Renlund warns against ‘spiritual hyperopia’ and ‘looking beyond the mark’:
Jacob foresaw the people of Jerusalem in Christ’s time, calling them “a stiffnecked people” who were “looking beyond the mark” (Jacob 4:14) and missed the Savior of the world.

“In our day,” Elder Renlund said, “we must also guard against spiritual hyperopia. We do not want to miss the treasures that God has placed within our reach because we are focused on other things in the distance.”
The teachings of today’s Prophet, President Russell M. Nelson, are easily accessible. “And sometimes, because it is so familiar and it is so common, we overlook what it means to have a Moses among us, to have someone whose primary audience is the Lord Jesus Christ, who receives direction and promptings and seeks to have the Savior’s Church become what the Savior wants.”
" Hyperopia " 🤣🤓
Moses - ?!! " whose primary audience is the Lord.." ?? !
Come on man!
This guy is wayyyyy outta touch with reality !

TwochurchesOnly
captain of 1,000

Post by TwochurchesOnly »

Chip wrote: January 31st, 2023, 6:22 pm Some of this stuff coming out of the church makes me think that I need to get my family out ASAP, lest we risk getting sucked into some crazy stuff in the future, perhaps amid some greater societal crisis. I think it would be better to get completely independent before they roll out the next big weirdness. They are getting just like cult leaders who sense things slipping and they come up with new provocations to yank, yank, YANK on those psychological drawstrings. All fear based, too - nothing happy about calling the church "the Savior" or considering RMN to be "a Moses". It's all just claustrophobic and suffocating. Weird, too, that many members are just giddy about stuff like this.
They must surely sense things slipping- loosing members and hemorrhaging tithing $$$$$ - and they gotta know "Babylon, the great is falling, God will all her towers o'er throw..."
yet they keep trotting out this guy - and others - like a weird comedy show - hoping to distract more from looking behind the curtain
the great and powerful oz

Chip
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Chip »

TwochurchesOnly wrote: January 31st, 2023, 7:45 pm
Reluctant Watchman wrote: January 31st, 2023, 5:46 pm Interesting remarks from Renlund. He groups a variety of things into "missing the mark."
1. Prophet
2. Sacrament
3. Scriptures
4. Commandments

" Hyperopia " 🤣🤓
Moses - ?!! " whose primary audience is the Lord.." ?? !
Come on man!
This guy is wayyyyy outta touch with reality !

He's running open-loop after the vaxx.

Pahoran
captain of 100

Post by Pahoran »

The next big weirdness, we are all on the edge of our seats, what will it be?!!!!

Chip
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Chip »

Pahoran wrote: January 31st, 2023, 8:55 pm
The next big weirdness, we are all on the edge of our seats, what will it be?!!!!

Here are some AI renderings.
Attachments
DALL·E 2023-01-31 20.04.30 - Dali painting of the next big weirdness in the Mormon church..png
DALL·E 2023-01-31 20.04.30 - Dali painting of the next big weirdness in the Mormon church..png (760.46 KiB) Viewed 741 times
DALL·E 2023-01-31 20.06.29 - Hieronymus Bosch painting of the next big weirdness in the Mormon church..png
DALL·E 2023-01-31 20.06.29 - Hieronymus Bosch painting of the next big weirdness in the Mormon church..png (828.16 KiB) Viewed 741 times

TheDuke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by TheDuke »

KInd of makes me laugh.... RMN as Moses............

But, well uncalled for comparison. Even daring to call the current prophet like JS or any dispensation head is or seems always wrong.

Don't want to put them down, but how about a non-dispensation head, like Eli or someone?

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

Years ago a man in my ward compared Monson to Moses and I thought he was just being overzealous.
I can’t believe Renlund just said the same thing about RMN.

HVDC
captain of 1,000

Post by HVDC »

Does that make Renlund Aaron?

Although.

Nelson doesn't seem to have any difficulty with speech.

Sir H

MikeMaillet
captain of 1,000

Post by MikeMaillet »

Moses, eh? I laughed out loud when I read that one. The real Moses led an exodus to the promised land but the only exodus this new Moses is capable of leading is an exodus out of the church. I'm mailing my letter today.

Mike

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Original_Intent wrote: January 31st, 2023, 5:49 pm Christ is HIS audience? Also, Conference finds no lack of kissing up.
It seems he mistakenly missed out the word "with"... or did he?

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Robin Hood wrote: February 1st, 2023, 4:32 am
It reminds me of the Irish joke about Bono of U2 turning up at the Pearly Gates and St. Peter turning him away from Heaven... and Bono shouts up at God, "How can you do this to me after all I've done for you?"

One thing's for sure. Pres. Nelson will have a lot of explaining to do one day. As will Pope Francis, maybe even Rowan Williams and Patriarch Kirill.

Mindfields
captain of 1,000

Post by Mindfields »

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Niemand wrote: February 1st, 2023, 4:53 am
Robin Hood wrote: February 1st, 2023, 4:32 am
It reminds me of the Irish joke about Bono of U2 turning up at the Pearly Gates and St. Peter turning him away from Heaven... and Bono shouts up at God, "How can you do this to me after all I've done for you?"

One thing's for sure. Pres. Nelson will have a lot of explaining to do one day. As will Pope Francis, maybe even Rowan Williams and Patriarch Kirill.
To be fair I think we all will.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

I actually don’t think we’ll have to explain anything. He knows us, he knows us!!! I’m super excited to meet Him again. It’s gonna be awesome!

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: February 1st, 2023, 6:15 am I actually don’t think we’ll have to explain anything. He knows us, he knows us!!! I’m super excited to meet Him again. It’s gonna be awesome!
We have repentance but those folk... how often and what do they repent of? I know we all have faults but some aren't willing to admit it and claim to speak to God.

God knows all, but Nelson will still have to explain himself. It will be the only way he'll ever understand. No one with any earthly power is challenging him down here.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: February 1st, 2023, 6:15 am I actually don’t think we’ll have to explain anything. He knows us, he knows us!!! I’m super excited to meet Him again. It’s gonna be awesome!
Really? You think it's just going to be a one way street?
I don't think so.
Think of the time Abraham negotiated with God re. Sodom. Or the famous scripture in Isaiah 1:18, "Come now... let us reason together".
I agree it can be a positive experience, but we're are going to have to contribute to the interview.
Last edited by Robin Hood on February 1st, 2023, 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Niemand wrote: February 1st, 2023, 6:34 am
We have repentance but those folk... how often and what do they repent of? I know we all have faults but some aren't willing to admit it and claim to speak to God.

God knows all, but Nelson will still have to explain himself. It will be the only way he'll ever understand. No one with any earthly power is challenging him down here.
After studying SRA the past year, I’ve learned to have more empathy for people. I actually know very little about what motivates a person to act in a certain way or to say the things they do. I’m not saying this is what is happening in the church, but I’ve learned to judge fruits and allow the Lord to judge the heart.