What will the church do to those members who are becoming less enthusiastic about the "follow the prophet" mantra?

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
BigT
captain of 100

Re: What will the church do to those members who are becoming less enthusiastic about the "follow the prophet" mantra?

Post by BigT »

lol What do you really think, Duke?

Chip
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: What will the church do to those members who are becoming less enthusiastic about the "follow the prophet" mantra?

Post by Chip »

TheDuke wrote: January 31st, 2023, 8:07 pm
Chip wrote: January 31st, 2023, 5:40 pm

BigT, here are some ideas from ChatGPT:
Am I MISSING SOMETHING? What is the fetish with some to take some liberally trained, unqualified, inexplicable, software tool and ask it questions, then post them in real thread on the forum?

I would ask this practice be stopped. It is hard enough to find truth and valuable inputs when the author is known but to some how talk to a computer program is worthless and improper. I'm ok with a thread or OP that is specifically set up to talk about the chatbot, but I am NOT OK with people starting to just interact with some random and ever changing software tool and put it's (as if it is a thing that can create thoughts) into a regular thread

I would ask this be the case from now on, or create a place for them chatbots to hang out together but not in the "general discussions" section. Please, lets let people talk to people and eliminate ALL BOTS as we've discussed elsewhere with TROLLS. It is the same thing. Thanks in advance.

It's just a tool that synthesizes text from its training data into whatever you ask it to.
Attachments
DALL·E 2023-01-31 19.21.13 - Oil pastel of a grouchy guy who doesn't approve of artificial intelligence..png
DALL·E 2023-01-31 19.21.13 - Oil pastel of a grouchy guy who doesn't approve of artificial intelligence..png (411.27 KiB) Viewed 536 times

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

BigT wrote: January 31st, 2023, 8:24 pm lol What do you really think, Duke?
Maybe we should ask ChatGPT what it thinks. ;)
Last edited by Reluctant Watchman on January 31st, 2023, 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Chip wrote: January 31st, 2023, 8:25 pm It's just a tool that synthesizes text from its training data into whatever you ask it to.
Haha… the file name… well played. :)

cyclOps
captain of 1,000

Post by cyclOps »

TheDuke wrote: January 31st, 2023, 8:07 pm
Chip wrote: January 31st, 2023, 5:40 pm

BigT, here are some ideas from ChatGPT:
Am I MISSING SOMETHING? What is the fetish with some to take some liberally trained, unqualified, inexplicable, software tool and ask it questions, then post them in real thread on the forum?

I would ask this practice be stopped. It is hard enough to find truth and valuable inputs when the author is known but to some how talk to a computer program is worthless and improper. I'm ok with a thread or OP that is specifically set up to talk about the chatbot, but I am NOT OK with people starting to just interact with some random and ever changing software tool and put it's (as if it is a thing that can create thoughts) into a regular thread

I would ask this be the case from now on, or create a place for them chatbots to hang out together but not in the "general discussions" section. Please, lets let people talk to people and eliminate ALL BOTS as we've discussed elsewhere with TROLLS. It is the same thing. Thanks in advance.
I second this.

BigT
captain of 100

Post by BigT »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: January 31st, 2023, 8:26 pm
Maybe we should as ChatGPT what it thinks. ;)
And blow up the Internet? 😄

Pahoran
captain of 100

Post by Pahoran »

Chip wrote: January 31st, 2023, 8:03 pm
BigT wrote: January 31st, 2023, 7:50 pm
Chip wrote: January 31st, 2023, 5:50 pm BigT, some more ideas:

To ChatGPT:

Come up with some ideas that would involve members regarding the leadership as God's executors.

ChatGPT response:

"The Divine Connection": A spiritual ceremony in which members receive a blessing or manifestation of the Holy Ghost, confirming that the leaders of the church are divinely appointed and authorized to guide and direct the members.

"The Divine Endorsement": A public declaration by church leaders of the members' commitment to follow the will of God as expressed through the church. This endorsement would be read in sacrament meeting and would be considered a sacred and binding agreement.

"The Divine Commission": A special call or assignment given to members to perform a particular task or service in accordance with the will of God, as expressed through the leadership of the church. This commission would be considered a sacred obligation and would require the member to give their full devotion to the task.

"The Divine Witness": A spiritual manifestation or confirmation given to members to assure them that the leadership of the church is guided by the Holy Ghost and that their teachings are in accordance with the will of God.

"The Divine Covenant": A sacred agreement between members and church leaders, binding the members to follow the will of God as expressed through the leadership of the church. This covenant would be considered a binding obligation and would require the member to give their full devotion to the teachings and guidance of the church.
I copied your posts, with Pahoran’s, into a note file to reflect on. I must confess I’m not as big a fan as you are for AI stuff. But, ideas are ideas.

Some more AI ideas.....

Input:

In a fictional future scenario, Mormon leadership moves to unite with Babylon and encourages its members to go along with the beast system. Create some scenarios about this.

ChatGPT:

In the year 2070, the Mormon church has officially united with the world's leading superpower, Babylon. The leadership encourages its members to become active participants in the beast system, stating that this will ensure their salvation in the afterlife.

As a result of this alliance, Mormon families are now required to implant microchips in their children that track their every move and monitor their compliance with Babylonian laws.

The once peaceful and independent Mormon communities have become heavily militarized, with members serving as soldiers in the Babylonian army. They are tasked with maintaining order and suppressing dissent among the population.

Mormon leaders have rewritten the teachings of their faith to align with Babylonian beliefs and values. Members are taught to worship the beast system as a means of pleasing God.

Those who refuse to comply with the new order are deemed heretics and subjected to severe punishment, including imprisonment and execution. This has resulted in a mass migration of Mormons to other countries, where they can live in accordance with their original beliefs.

Despite the changes, some devout members still cling to their traditional beliefs and continue to practice their faith in secret. They gather in secret gatherings to pray and sing hymns, risking everything to keep the spirit of their faith alive.

As the years pass, the influence of the Mormon church on society continues to diminish, as it becomes just another cog in the machine of the Babylonian government. The once proud and independent faith is now just a distant memory, remembered only by a few aging members who refuse to forget their heritage.
I love this. I actually thought about this over the last few months. When we had few assets, many debts and few members we had this idea that we were Zion, independent of all earthly kingdoms, with a great destiny. We didn't care that the rest of the world thought we were some fringe fanatical freaks. Fast forward 200 years. We have assets, more members and more respect. But, now we take up a small space in the babylon matrix of power. We are among the millions of organizations, people, groups, nations, societies, etc. trying to claw its way up this matrix of babylon power. But, we are one among many groups. Religions as a whole category in the babylon system are quite weak, but we only make up a little square among hundreds of squares in this category. In Babylon, we are like crumbs at the table of greats like Justin Bieber. Barely even noticeable to 99% of the world.

Yeah, I didn't like the idea of being a member of that group working its way up in Babylon so that hopefully we can have more success in sharing the gospel. I would rather just be as independent as possible and try to act more like Zion.

Gadianton Slayer
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Gadianton Slayer »

tribrac wrote: January 30th, 2023, 9:02 pm Where would you go?
This is one of the funniest questions to me.

“Sure, you might be part of an organization that shames you, teaches blind faith in men, claims a monopoly on authority and celestial passage, gaslights their members, instituted blood oaths until the late 1900s, is in bed with the new world order, asks us to trust big pharma, lies about its history, wrests the BoM which is supposedly the keystone, attempts to cover up an incredible amount of sexual abuse, has leaders that used to be communist writers and part of satanic college groups, hosts lesbians that sleep with their girlfriends during the women’s conference promoting “eternal identity”, and contradicts themselves all the time……… but like, no one else teaches those two things that you agree with so where else would you go?” 🥴🥴🥴

(Not directing this reply to you, tribrac. Just the general idea)

Chip
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Chip »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: January 31st, 2023, 8:27 pm
Chip wrote: January 31st, 2023, 8:25 pm It's just a tool that synthesizes text from its training data into whatever you ask it to.

It was the prompt I gave DALL-E.
DALL·E 2023-01-31 19.43.54 - Dali painting of Reluctant Watchman as an avenging angel on roller skates..png
DALL·E 2023-01-31 19.43.54 - Dali painting of Reluctant Watchman as an avenging angel on roller skates..png (675.12 KiB) Viewed 452 times

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Chip wrote: January 31st, 2023, 8:46 pm
Reluctant Watchman wrote: January 31st, 2023, 8:27 pm

It was the prompt I gave DALL-E.

DALL·E 2023-01-31 19.43.54 - Dali painting of Reluctant Watchman as an avenging angel on roller skates..png
The accuracy is stunning. :)

NowWhat
captain of 100

Post by NowWhat »

I like the ChatGBT posts. They're interesting, they make me think, and they have taught me more about AI. You can skip over them if you want, like I skip over posts that seem to be pages long, or that quote pages and pages of scriptures.

HVDC
captain of 1,000

Post by HVDC »

The ChatGBT posts are a novelty right now.

Soon they will become commonplace.

And indisguishable from actual humans.

The implications of this are potentially staggering.

Sir H

J2
captain of 100

Post by J2 »

This is an interesting question to think about.

I could see the temple recommend questions become more strictly focused on following the prophet. Followed by members who don't strictly follow the prophet being barred from certain callings. Eventually disfellowshipment and "membership councils" (to use the stupid new, politically correct name) would be called for these members leading to excommunication.

(I have a sneaking suspicion that this already happens in a somewhat secretive way, where at a certain level the church just won't call you to a position until you have somehow proven your loyalty to the org. But my thought is that they would institutionalize this by making it an official, overt handbook rule, rather than the covert rule that it currently is.)

TheDuke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by TheDuke »

NowWhat wrote: January 31st, 2023, 8:57 pm I like the ChatGBT posts. They're interesting, they make me think, and they have taught me more about AI. You can skip over them if you want, like I skip over posts that seem to be pages long, or that quote pages and pages of scriptures.
Fine but put them in threads about what software thinks, not in threads about people's opinions, theories, scriptures and discussions. Bots are just inane chatter with no basis, no research, no soul, and no spirit at all. Like I said, if people want to interact with silly software tools, do it. But, please do it in threads that have no substance or are absurd and are not serious or where you are expecting people to genuinely communicate. It is my opinion quite rude to respond to a serious question, in a serious way with a bot. And, it is difficult to skip over them as you say, easier skip threads. Look at this one, it is interspersed not only with comments but with quotes that comments are being made to.

I am to the point that I think the moderators should weigh in. They have weighed in on trolling in the past. Trolling is usually assumed to be algorithmic based inputs, seems the same rules should apply here. But, as I said if you think it is "fun" or "funny" make a new thread with it in the title. Perhaps in outerdarkness where evil spirits should exist.

Personally, I have spent a life time (45 years) working with AI. I don't find mixing AI with things of god, at all funny or beneficial. I suppose those new at it and most likely uniformed of it, might play with it. But to me it is like playing with ouija board. Bring Satan in by invitation w/o even knowing.

Seems there has to be a line.

HVDC
captain of 1,000

Post by HVDC »

TheDuke wrote: January 31st, 2023, 9:13 pm
NowWhat wrote: January 31st, 2023, 8:57 pm I like the ChatGBT posts. They're interesting, they make me think, and they have taught me more about AI. You can skip over them if you want, like I skip over posts that seem to be pages long, or that quote pages and pages of scriptures.
Fine but put them in threads about what software thinks, not in threads about people's opinions, theories, scriptures and discussions. Bots are just inane chatter with no basis, no research, no soul, and no spirit at all. Like I said, if people want to interact with silly software tools, do it. But, please do it in threads that have no substance or are absurd and are not serious or where you are expecting people to genuinely communicate. It is my opinion quite rude to respond to a serious question, in a serious way with a bot. And, it is difficult to skip over them as you say, easier skip threads. Look at this one, it is interspersed not only with comments but with quotes that comments are being made to.

I am to the point that I think the moderators should weigh in. They have weighed in on trolling in the past. Trolling is usually assumed to be algorithmic based inputs, seems the same rules should apply here. But, as I said if you think it is "fun" or "funny" make a new thread with it in the title. Perhaps in outerdarkness where evil spirits should exist.

Personally, I have spent a life time (45 years) working with AI. I don't find mixing AI with things of god, at all funny or beneficial. I suppose those new at it and most likely uniformed of it, might play with it. But to me it is like playing with ouija board. Bring Satan in by invitation w/o even knowing.

It is certainly disconcerting.

Not sure what to make of it.

Also not sure it is actually "intelligent" whatever that actually means.

Sir H

Chip
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Chip »

It's not a oija board. It's a predictive text generator that reflects its training data. No magic, but novel.

The bad thing is going to be when people don't give it attribution, but present it as themselves. That's certainly coming.

I see this AI stuff as a crazy curve ball being thrown into humanity. It's a tool that can be used for good or bad. It's going to change everything.

I could see it even becoming rude to ask someone if that's really them or their AI presenting. Kind of like protected-class accommodations.

Get ready for what's coming, because it's going to be a lot more ambiguous than posts here have been.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

We've already had one bot on here going by the name "Ontario". I sometimes wonder if "Sushi Chef" is one too.

I've certainly interacted with AIs on YouTube comments and elsewhere. They were very active during the last US election and also the Covid business. One thing they would do is start introducing comments about the US binary party system – Republicans and Democrats – even when it was irrelevant or the content was not American. They are common on dating apps (which I don't use) and Meetup dot com, because the illusion of activity keeps paid subscriptions coming in.

Chip
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Chip »

We have a friend who, at one point, told us that she was "kind of a big deal on Twitter". She had 2,000 followers.

When Elon Musk took over, the bots went away and she realized she actually had only 80 human followers.

In reviewing her Twitter interactions over the last five years, none of them had been with actual humans. All were bot interactions.

Twitter had her living in a house of mirrors using AI.

Pahoran
captain of 100

Post by Pahoran »

Chip wrote: February 1st, 2023, 8:14 am We have a friend who, at one point, told us that she was "kind of a big deal on Twitter". She had 2,000 followers.

When Elon Musk took over, the bots went away and she realized she actually had only 80 human followers.

In reviewing her Twitter interactions over the last five years, none of them had been with actual humans. All were bot interactions.

Twitter had her living in a house of mirrors using AI.
I am guessing she was talking to bots controlled by humans if that makes her feel any better.

Pahoran
captain of 100

Post by Pahoran »

J2 wrote: January 31st, 2023, 9:11 pm This is an interesting question to think about.

I could see the temple recommend questions become more strictly focused on following the prophet. Followed by members who don't strictly follow the prophet being barred from certain callings. Eventually disfellowshipment and "membership councils" (to use the stupid new, politically correct name) would be called for these members leading to excommunication.

(I have a sneaking suspicion that this already happens in a somewhat secretive way, where at a certain level the church just won't call you to a position until you have somehow proven your loyalty to the org. But my thought is that they would institutionalize this by making it an official, overt handbook rule, rather than the covert rule that it currently is.)
That brings up another question. Is it better to go through the shame of all that process or to leave before it happens? I guess it would be tempting to leave before all that but what would Jesus do?

TheDuke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by TheDuke »

Chip wrote: January 31st, 2023, 9:30 pm

It's not a oija board. It's a predictive text generator that reflects its training data. No magic, but novel.

The bad thing is going to be when people don't give it attribution, but present it as themselves. That's certainly coming.

I see this AI stuff as a crazy curve ball being thrown into humanity. It's a tool that can be used for good or bad. It's going to change everything.

I could see it even becoming rude to ask someone if that's really them or their AI presenting. Kind of like protected-class accommodations.

Get ready for what's coming, because it's going to be a lot more ambiguous than posts here have been.
I have been active in AI for 45 years. I don't need to be told about it. it has many uses. But in my opinion if it is mixed with an attempt to discuss spiritual things, it is like but perhaps worse than the ouiji board. If you don't see it, pray about it. there are just certain things that should be avoided. Asking a soulless entity about god or church or religion is asking for Satan to respond and he will in a direct or subtle way. It may be fun and entertaining in its place. It may help diagnose illnesses, help find cars, answer children's questions, but it will not lead anyone to god.

TheDuke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by TheDuke »

I find much funny and joyful in life. But, I don't find mixing non-humans in inter-human communication funny. and it is dangerous as I mentioned. If you cannot see it, then it is like a child playing with fire and waiting to be burned.

People do know comprehend what "AI" is. There is lots of titles, ideas, uses, thoughts, misunderstandings but it isn't AI. And it isn't just some algorithm that has been honestly trained. It is a mix of data (assumed correct facts) and lots of "inferences" to create new facts (assumed correct) using straight and forms of "fuzzy" logic to derive the new facts.

BTW I even met the original expert on Fuzzy Logic, Lofti Zedah a few years ago. I did my graduate with regard to his initial work over 40 years ago. It is still applicable if you want to read it. It is a deep read however. I worked to build on it a defensive strategy for strategic bombers for a few years. and built the first "real time" inference engine in the industry (commercial or military) and it gave me much acclaim in my company and across the US DoD, in its day. It worked well. It couldn't be proven/assured but the USAF loved it and put it on B1 after years of testing.

So, I'm not AI adverse. What I'm saying is that it is and can be, and will be twisted inside to do things that are inexplicable due to the combinatorial logic, fuzzy or fractional, and you'll never see why. That is ok for some things, not for others and definitely not for things of the spirit of god. Good however, for the dark spirits.

Chip
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Chip »

TheDuke wrote: February 1st, 2023, 10:39 am
Chip wrote: January 31st, 2023, 9:30 pm

I have been active in AI for 45 years. I don't need to be told about it. it has many uses. But in my opinion if it is mixed with an attempt to discuss spiritual things, it is like but perhaps worse than the ouiji board. If you don't see it, pray about it. there are just certain things that should be avoided. Asking a soulless entity about god or church or religion is asking for Satan to respond and he will in a direct or subtle way. It may be fun and entertaining in its place. It may help diagnose illnesses, help find cars, answer children's questions, but it will not lead anyone to god.

It does understand church-think pretty well and how the church and its members are likely to behave in different situations.

For people like me, it's a useful tool to test hypotheses. I must gauge its veracity as it presents things that I wasn't thinking, before. I see it as an imagination expander. It comes up with things that were beyond the edge of my own thinking, but that I probably would have thought of, myself, eventually. It's like standing on a tall ladder, seeing a little further, with some understood constraints.

I don't conflate it, at all, with the Holy Spirit. It's just a machine.

hedgehog
captain of 100

Post by hedgehog »

Beware of the Militant collectivist mindset of those who drink from the American lefts kool aid. They have certain ahem tells. Some of you may remember their subversive bumper stickers like "dissent is the highest form of patriotism!" Then they instantly flipped to "disagreement with obama is racism!" Or todays, "disagreement is violence!."

When dealing with that crowd this story always comes to mind.

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn said of a Stalin speech: "After 11 minutes of non-stop clapping, the director of a paper factory finally decided enough was enough. He stopped clapping. That same night, he was arrested and sent to prison for ten years."

Now that this crowd has captured everything even down to church leadership, one would do well to learn to see them. Or you can just be another jk rowling who went from cult High priestess to evil outcast for the heresy of only agreeing with the left 99%.

TheDuke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by TheDuke »

Chip wrote: February 1st, 2023, 10:58 am
It does understand church-think pretty well and how the church and its members are likely to behave in different situations.

For people like me, it's a useful tool to test hypotheses. I must gauge its veracity as it presents things that I wasn't thinking, before. I see it as an imagination expander. It comes up with things that were beyond the edge of my own thinking, but that I probably would have thought of, myself, eventually. It's like standing on a tall ladder, seeing a little further, with some understood constraints.

I don't conflate it, at all, with the Holy Spirit. It's just a machine.
Look what you said. "it understands">>>>>>>> WHAT does that mean. The algorithm understands? BS right there. Next a useful too to test a hypotheses, how can that be? It is garbage in and garbage out. You are trusting its answer as you say, but some how doing your own "veracity" check, how?

BTW I didn't mean to say you'd see it as the spirit. sorry, if that is what I led you to believe. I said it has no place discussing things of the spirit as it is gleefully and carefully leading people to hell without their knowledge. Like driving an auto driving car, until it kills you or your peer on the road or a biker. Or even hitting the brakes real hard to avoid a person that is a garbage bag floating in the road. In this case you (or the bot) put on the brake and killed the person behind you. But it is their fault as they rear ended you, because they never thought you (your bot) would suddenly and fully invoke your brakes. The bot worked quite well, every day, took you to and from work, until it didn't. THAT my friend is how AI works. It was ok on Tuesday but on Wednesday and guy with a black shirt walked out into the road. the AI learned about this in an image, relearned it, sent it to all the peer cars, and then the black inflated garbage bag falling of a truck and rolling down the road looked like that image. So, the relearned algorithm kicked in and killed someone. Perhaps by Friday it will relearn that lesson, but not likely as a person will quickly get involved to alter the algorithm before the court and lawsuit determine the automaker's (or yours) guilt as they have lots of money and no one understood the algorithm on Thursday anyway.