Soil Testimony

For discussion related to emergency preparedness, survival, self-sufficiency, food and water storage, guns, heat, light, building, gardening, etc.
Seed Starter
captain of 1,000

Soil Testimony

Post by Seed Starter »

https://youtu.be/8ugaL6wsXME

Hi! First contributing post here. I don't feel quite ready to engage in many of the gospel conversations that fascinate me around here. However, I do have something to offer my unknown brothers and sisters. I don't know any of you yet but I love you because I'm convinced that many of you value and seek after goodness and truth. I like many of you felt called to focus on food production in the spring of 2020. I've been on a journey of growth/growing since that time.

Through my research, I began to learn the difference between sewing seeds and understanding the system that supports seeds. I learned that growing food can be a very spiritual endeavor. The video linked above might be the best soil video I've seen. It explains, among other things the symbiotic relationship of plant roots, rhizobacteria, and mycorrhizae fungus. It explains how things are and how they might be if we understand the soil and treat it well. I can see many members of this forum already understand how important it is to get the fundamentals right so I won't preach to the choir more about that.

If things aren't really working for you in the garden or even if they are you can benefit from this video. I am in awe of the systems God has created for us! As spring approaches I look out my window at a specific garden bed excitedly waiting to see the little green spears of seed-started asparagus pop up. Gardening teaches me to have (hope) for things to come. after the first garden season in 2020 I began to think about adding edible perennials (come back year after year). In January 2021 I decided to learn about and grow asparagus. I've been nurturing that asparagus since it was a little black seed. Even before planting, I stratified the seed to simulate a cold season so the seed would be (obedient) to God's design. Then I had to (patiently) wait for the seedlings to sprout before I could put them outside.

During the first season (2021) I watched them grow into 4-foot-tall ferns but I couldn't eat any. If I touched it (ate it) the plant couldn't survive the coming cold season. I had to let it go until it looked quite dead before trimming it back. What a waste right? When spring of 2022 arrived I hoped to see the green op up and it did! This year it grew up even taller but I still had to hold back. I needed the fern-like pant to collect as much (light) energy as possible before it got cold. After an unseasonably warm Autumn, I cut the plants back in December. Underground, the roots (crowns) are growing larger and their ability to store energy is increasing. More waiting. When those spears come up this year I can finally collect some spears to eat, but only spearingly :D Then the plant must collect energy to come back in 2024. The good news is that I have a few female plants among the male plants. More pants will come up on their own and asparagus crowns can survive for decades. I've heard up to 40 years! Asparagus is a generational food supply. Rather than letting the seeds fall from the female plants I saved the seed. Now I can share my bounty of patience.

Truth and lies can be generational fruits. What fruit will we pass on? Are we planting annuals or perennials? What role does obedience to God's laws play in our spiritual journey? Starting asparagus from seed was rather intensive but tasting sweet backyard asparagus will make it all worthwhile. Questioning, acting, waiting, sharing, savoring, and testing will lead us to the right conclusion. I believe that conclusion is our Savior. Amen.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Soil Testimony

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

This past Spring we did a little exploring in the fields around our home. We discovered 20+ asparagus plants in a 1/2 mile radius. It should be a good year with all of the snow we’ve had.

Fred
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fred »

Seed Starter wrote: January 29th, 2023, 8:26 pm https://youtu.be/8ugaL6wsXME

Hi! First contributing post here. I don't feel quite ready to engage in many of the gospel conversations that fascinate me around here. However, I do have something to offer my unknown brothers and sisters. I don't know any of you yet but I love you because I'm convinced that many of you value and seek after goodness and truth. I like many of you felt called to focus on food production in the spring of 2020. I've been on a journey of growth/growing since that time.

Through my research, I began to learn the difference between sewing seeds and understanding the system that supports seeds. I learned that growing food can be a very spiritual endeavor. The video linked above might be the best soil video I've seen. It explains, among other things the symbiotic relationship of plant roots, rhizobacteria, and mycorrhizae fungus. It explains how things are and how they might be if we understand the soil and treat it well. I can see many members of this forum already understand how important it is to get the fundamentals right so I won't preach to the choir more about that.

If things aren't really working for you in the garden or even if they are you can benefit from this video. I am in awe of the systems God has created for us! As spring approaches I look out my window at a specific garden bed excitedly waiting to see the little green spears of seed-started asparagus pop up. Gardening teaches me to have (hope) for things to come. after the first garden season in 2020 I began to think about adding edible perennials (come back year after year). In January 2021 I decided to learn about and grow asparagus. I've been nurturing that asparagus since it was a little black seed. Even before planting, I stratified the seed to simulate a cold season so the seed would be (obedient) to God's design. Then I had to (patiently) wait for the seedlings to sprout before I could put them outside.

During the first season (2021) I watched them grow into 4-foot-tall ferns but I couldn't eat any. If I touched it (ate it) the plant couldn't survive the coming cold season. I had to let it go until it looked quite dead before trimming it back. What a waste right? When spring of 2022 arrived I hoped to see the green op up and it did! This year it grew up even taller but I still had to hold back. I needed the fern-like pant to collect as much (light) energy as possible before it got cold. After an unseasonably warm Autumn, I cut the plants back in December. Underground, the roots (crowns) are growing larger and their ability to store energy is increasing. More waiting. When those spears come up this year I can finally collect some spears to eat, but only spearingly :D Then the plant must collect energy to come back in 2024. The good news is that I have a few female plants among the male plants. More pants will come up on their own and asparagus crowns can survive for decades. I've heard up to 40 years! Asparagus is a generational food supply. Rather than letting the seeds fall from the female plants I saved the seed. Now I can share my bounty of patience.

Truth and lies can be generational fruits. What fruit will we pass on? Are we planting annuals or perennials? What role does obedience to God's laws play in our spiritual journey? Starting asparagus from seed was rather intensive but tasting sweet backyard asparagus will make it all worthwhile. Questioning, acting, waiting, sharing, savoring, and testing will lead us to the right conclusion. I believe that conclusion is our Savior. Amen.
Thanks for the info. I live in a high desert. My asparagus has over a foot of snow on it right now. But, I discovered something quite unique about asparagus. I planted the coils 18 inches deep as instructed. I was told not to harvest for three years. On the second year, I moved to Salt Lake temporarily to get over being pissed off about the FBI turning my place upside down and taking a lot of valuable stuff. It gave me a chance to be around my grand kids.

I knew my trees would die. I had many perennials, raspberries, strawberries, grapes, asparagus, trees, etc. I was gone for 3 years. When I returned, it was early spring and I looked at the snow covered garden and thought it was all for nothing. As the snow melted and things began to turn green, I noticed that one lilac tree survived three years in the desert with no water. I noticed an asparagus coming out of the ground and got excited. I had two patches about 60 feet apart and I checked both rows. Both rows came up after 3 years of no water. Well, it does rain a little, but mostly flash floods and then drought. About half of the plants had seeds so a pretty even mix of male and female.

Those coils must store a lot of energy. Very few plants can do what they did. Not even a tree with 5 foot roots. I think being planted 18 inches deep is one reason. The sun does not bake that deep.

Anyway, asparagus must be almost indestructible.

and welcome to the forum.

Seed Starter
captain of 1,000

Post by Seed Starter »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: January 29th, 2023, 9:28 pm This past Spring we did a little exploring in the fields around our home. We discovered 20+ asparagus plants in a 1/2 mile radius. It should be a good year with all of the snow we’ve had.
That's awesome! My parents grew up in the Orem/Provo area and they told me they found it growing wild as well. It just goes to show that some plants do fine just being left alone.

Seed Starter
captain of 1,000

Post by Seed Starter »

Fred wrote: January 29th, 2023, 10:02 pm
Seed Starter wrote: January 29th, 2023, 8:26 pm https://youtu.be/8ugaL6wsXME

Thanks for the info. I live in a high desert. My asparagus has over a foot of snow on it right now. But, I discovered something quite unique about asparagus. I planted the coils 18 inches deep as instructed. I was told not to harvest for three years. On the second year, I moved to Salt Lake temporarily to get over being pissed off about the FBI turning my place upside down and taking a lot of valuable stuff. It gave me a chance to be around my grand kids.

I knew my trees would die. I had many perennials, raspberries, strawberries, grapes, asparagus, trees, etc. I was gone for 3 years. When I returned, it was early spring and I looked at the snow covered garden and thought it was all for nothing. As the snow melted and things began to turn green, I noticed that one lilac tree survived three years in the desert with no water. I noticed an asparagus coming out of the ground and got excited. I had two patches about 60 feet apart and I checked both rows. Both rows came up after 3 years of no water. Well, it does rain a little, but mostly flash floods and then drought. About half of the plants had seeds so a pretty even mix of male and female.

Those coils must store a lot of energy. Very few plants can do what they did. Not even a tree with 5 foot roots. I think being planted 18 inches deep is one reason. The sun does not bake that deep.

Anyway, asparagus must be almost indestructible.

and welcome to the forum.
Thanks Fred! That's quite a story. I'm glad the feds didn't take your asparagus as evidence too! I've heard their roots can go down as deep as tree roots. I think the 18" depth definitely helps with the water issue as well as the cold issue. I think if their too shallow and it gets too cold it can damage the roots. I'm glad you still have asparagus Fred.

Seed Starter
captain of 1,000

Post by Seed Starter »

I forgot to mention a very important thing about the video. One great way to keep the soil alive is to use cover crops. Empty soil is bad for the soil. Soil life depends on roots. I tried cover crops for the 2nd time last year (winter rye). It's been green since it popped up in September. It will start growing again in the spring before I terminate it (crimp). Then it will act as a mulch. There's a bit more to it than that but that's the basic plan.

Fred
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fred »

Seed Starter wrote: January 29th, 2023, 10:48 pm I forgot to mention a very important thing about the video. One great way to keep the soil alive is to use cover crops. Empty soil is bad for the soil. Soil life depends on roots. I tried cover crops for the 2nd time last year (winter rye). It's been green since it popped up in September. It will start growing again in the spring before I terminate it (crimp). Then it will act as a mulch. There's a bit more to it than that but that's the basic plan.
I have hundreds of pine nut trees that each have 2 feet deep of dark black soil consisting of several thousand years of pine needles dropping off the trees. Come spring, I am going to move a ton or so into my garden.

Momma J
captain of 1,000

Post by Momma J »

Fred wrote: January 29th, 2023, 10:57 pm
Seed Starter wrote: January 29th, 2023, 10:48 pm I forgot to mention a very important thing about the video. One great way to keep the soil alive is to use cover crops. Empty soil is bad for the soil. Soil life depends on roots. I tried cover crops for the 2nd time last year (winter rye). It's been green since it popped up in September. It will start growing again in the spring before I terminate it (crimp). Then it will act as a mulch. There's a bit more to it than that but that's the basic plan.
I have hundreds of pine nut trees that each have 2 feet deep of dark black soil consisting of several thousand years of pine needles dropping off the trees. Come spring, I am going to move a ton or so into my garden.
We are finding the most amazing soil in the uncleared acres of our property. Years of pine needles, leaves from the hickory trees, and years of fallen branches and toppled trees that litter the ground. The soil is so rich that it is almost black.... crawling with earthworms.

There is nothing in the store that compares!