Anyone ever fast for 33 or 38 hours?

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Anyone ever fast for 33 or 38 hours?

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Maybe I already started. :?

Maybe I’ll begin next Thursday after the evening meal. :idea:

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Anyone ever fast for 33 or 38 hours?

Post by Niemand »

I know someone who is going to fast for four or five days soon.

anonymous91
captain of 100

Post by anonymous91 »

Sure, not by choice though. A few years ago I was diagnosed with Gastroparesis, took the doctors over a year before they even bothered testing for it. In the meantime, it was a rare day that I was able to keep any food at all down. In fact, prior to being diagnosed, I had never even heard the term gastroparesis, and now I am all too familiar with it.

When it gets particularly bad, I'll go up to almost 24 hours without eating or drinking anything, and it will often be up to 48 hours before I start eating food again. The worst part is that culturally we are very food-centric and this permeates throughout all of her social interactions. It makes for a lot of very awkward situations, such as having to decline or avoid most social events (that serve any type of food), avoid most fast food establishments (if you do choose to eat out, you have to spend 5+ minutes explaining how the food needs to be prepped, and what not to put on the food). It almost feels like you are a foreigner in your own Country.

FoxMammaWisdom
The Heretic

Post by FoxMammaWisdom »

All the time.. Health problems suck.

Lineman1012
captain of 100

Post by Lineman1012 »

Fasting is a fantastic thing to do when done right. IMO, 3 days is the best, for the working person.

Mormons really don’t know how to do it. They think all you do is skip 2 meals, give the money to the church and, bingo, you fasted, check the box and let’s eat.

Jentezen Franklin wrote a book titled “Fasting - opening the door to a deeper, more intimate, more powerful relationship with God”

It sure opened my eyes and improved my relationship with Father. I would recommend this book to anyone seriously wanting to learn about fasting.

tmac
captain of 1,000

Post by tmac »

I agree. I have fasted 72+ hours quite a few times. I realize that not everyone may be able to do that, but at this point I don’t consider skipping two meals to be a real fast. I don’t have time to elaborate right now, and maybe it’s just me, but in terms of the real spiritual reasons/benefits of fasting, for me 24 hours doesn’t even really make a dent.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Thanks to current economic conditions fasting and the Wim Hof method (cold bathing/showering) may end up becoming accidentally fashionable.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

There was a British guy who fasted for 380 days back in the 1970's I believe.
He was very large and did it to lose weight.
He succeeded in shedding a couple of hundred pounds.
However, he did drink water and tea/coffee to keep hydrated, and took vitamins.

My brother-in-law fasted for 40 days a few years ago, although he took in fluids.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

anonymous91 wrote: January 28th, 2023, 2:32 am Sure, not by choice though. A few years ago I was diagnosed with Gastroparesis, took the doctors over a year before they even bothered testing for it. In the meantime, it was a rare day that I was able to keep any food at all down. In fact, prior to being diagnosed, I had never even heard the term gastroparesis, and now I am all too familiar with it.

When it gets particularly bad, I'll go up to almost 24 hours without eating or drinking anything, and it will often be up to 48 hours before I start eating food again. The worst part is that culturally we are very food-centric and this permeates throughout all of her social interactions. It makes for a lot of very awkward situations, such as having to decline or avoid most social events (that serve any type of food), avoid most fast food establishments (if you do choose to eat out, you have to spend 5+ minutes explaining how the food needs to be prepped, and what not to put on the food). It almost feels like you are a foreigner in your own Country.
Have you read The Plant Paradox by Dr. G. :?:

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Robin Hood wrote: January 28th, 2023, 4:55 am There was a British guy who fasted for 380 days back in the 1970's I believe.

My brother-in-law fasted for 40 days a few years ago, although he took in fluids.
Best to approach all of these long term methods with caution.

One danger is that if someone is extremely obese and takes a long term fast, and their body becomes weaker, and that includes the heart and lungs which would not have the energy they need to work to pump blood and oxygen through that body mass. So unintentional consequences there.

It can also weaken your immune system.

When it gets to those levels it can resemble anorexia. I have known a few anorexics and they've told me you can get a buzz from not eating. The problem is that it diminishes your other functions if you are not careful.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Robin Hood wrote: January 28th, 2023, 4:55 am There was a British guy who fasted for 380 days back in the 1970's I believe.

https://prepareforchange.net/2019/11/20 ... 76-pounds/

Says long fasts don’t burn muscle. 8-)

Jashon
captain of 100

Post by Jashon »

It's much easier to do a long fast if you're eating nutrient dense food for a few weeks before, and therefore low carb. Makes a 48-hr fast a breeze. I know of a 12-wk fasting protocol that ends in rolling 48's: fasting 47 hrs, eating in a 1-hr window, done several times in a row, as many times as you want.

cachemagic
captain of 100

Post by cachemagic »

Water fasts are pretty easy after you get past three days. You are not even hungry. I have gone 40 days without food.

ransomme
captain of 1,000

Post by ransomme »

I've done 48 hrs without food or water.

I've done up to 10 days with just water and electrolytes. I felt great after day 2-3.

This year starting February 1st I plan on doing a 40 day water only fast.

If one wants to fast more than 48 hours then they should really learn how to break a prolonged fast first. There are special steps.

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Cruiserdude »

Jashon wrote: January 28th, 2023, 5:51 am It's much easier to do a long fast if you're eating nutrient dense food for a few weeks before, and therefore low carb. Makes a 48-hr fast a breeze. I know of a 12-wk fasting protocol that ends in rolling 48's: fasting 47 hrs, eating in a 1-hr window, done several times in a row, as many times as you want.
Share link or routine, that's some serious self discipline that I'd love to work up to👍

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Cruiserdude »

cachemagic wrote: January 28th, 2023, 6:04 am Water fasts are pretty easy after you get past three days. You are not even hungry. I have gone 40 days without food.
You're not being hyperbolic? Seriously? 40 days, no food? Just water? Or what?

Jashon
captain of 100

Post by Jashon »

Cruiserdude wrote: January 28th, 2023, 6:19 am
Jashon wrote: January 28th, 2023, 5:51 am It's much easier to do a long fast if you're eating nutrient dense food for a few weeks before, and therefore low carb. Makes a 48-hr fast a breeze. I know of a 12-wk fasting protocol that ends in rolling 48's: fasting 47 hrs, eating in a 1-hr window, done several times in a row, as many times as you want.
Share link or routine, that's some serious self discipline that I'd love to work up to👍
Level 1 (30 days) [OMAD=one meal a day, etc.]

7 feasting 3+MADs [nutrient dense food; very low carb]
7 feasting 3MADs
7 feasting 2MADs
1 OMAD [23 hrs fasting : 1 hr eating window]
3 2MADs
2 OMADs 23:1
3 2MADs

Level 2 (28 days)

5 OMADs (eat any time)
3 2MADs
Skip 32-42 hrs
3 2MADs
Skip 32-42
1 2MAD
Skip 32-48
3 2MADs (last 2MAD is breakfast/lunch)
Skip 48
3 feasting 2MADS (first 2MAD is lunch/dinner)
Skip 32-42
1 feasting 2MAD
Skip 32-42
1 2MAD
Skip 32-42
1 2MAD

Level 3 (35 days)

3 3MADs (micro priming)
72hr fast
5 OMADs (eat any time)
Skip 48 hrs
1 OMAD
Skip 48
5 OMADs
Skip 48
1 OMAD
Skip 48
1 OMAD
Skip 48
1 OMAD
Skip 48
3 OMADs

anonymous91
captain of 100

Post by anonymous91 »

BeNotDeceived wrote: January 28th, 2023, 5:00 am
anonymous91 wrote: January 28th, 2023, 2:32 am Sure, not by choice though. A few years ago I was diagnosed with Gastroparesis, took the doctors over a year before they even bothered testing for it. In the meantime, it was a rare day that I was able to keep any food at all down. In fact, prior to being diagnosed, I had never even heard the term gastroparesis, and now I am all too familiar with it.

Have you read The Plant Paradox by Dr. G. :?:
No, I'll check it out though. Thanks

Lexew1899
captain of 1,000

Post by Lexew1899 »

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Again the answer appears to be both, like I’ve explored here: search.php?keywords=Squiggly+Squirrel+both

Often a keyword search will quickly add insights to what someone has posted. I’m going on 21 hours now and think one more gum drop will be all I’ll eat until supper time on Sunday, for a total of about 55 hours. Add 24 hours by starting after lunch next Thursday and that will be about 79 hours.

Not every thing I do is according to special numbers,

but some numbers are special nonetheless.

Not just numbers

but other

stuff too.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Yes. No food or drink. Was seeking the Lord.

Pazooka
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Pazooka »

BeNotDeceived wrote: January 28th, 2023, 7:53 am Again the answer appears to be both, like I’ve explored here: search.php?keywords=Squiggly+Squirrel+both

Often a keyword search will quickly add insights to what someone has posted. I’m going on 21 hours now and think one more gum drop will be all I’ll eat until supper time on Sunday, for a total of about 55 hours. Add 24 hours by starting after lunch next Thursday and that will be about 79 hours.

Not every thing I do is according to special numbers,

but some numbers are special nonetheless.

Not just numbers

but other

stuff too.
Fasting is a muscle. You build up to an extended fast. But then, once you work up to it, going an entire waking day without food just takes breaking through a mental barrier. I do “meal-less Mondays,” usually - I eat Sunday dinner, then nothing until Tuesday morning. When I wake up on Tuesday, I don’t feel hungry at all and could go several more hours if I wanted to but usually end up doing a 40 hour fast. I’ve found it helps with every aspect of my life: physical, mental, spiritual. I fall off the wagon sometimes when something stressful happens or when the timing is wrong for my female cycle but I love my meal-less Mondays.

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

:) 38 days and nights water only.

solonan
captain of 100

Post by solonan »

I did 72 hours with just water. I was seeking the Lord as well. It took awhile to recover for me. Now my body goes to total rejection at 24. I must of done it wrong.

Lineman1012
captain of 100

Post by Lineman1012 »

tmac wrote: January 28th, 2023, 4:32 am I agree. I have fasted 72+ hours quite a few times. I realize that not everyone may be able to do that, but at this point I don’t consider skipping two meals to be a real fast. I don’t have time to elaborate right now, and maybe it’s just me, but in terms of the real spiritual reasons/benefits of fasting, for me 24 hours doesn’t even really make a dent.
Exactly, and after I did a few 72 hour fasts it amazed me just how much excess food we do eat. I bet we could all eat about 25% of our normal diets and be just fine.

Food aside, the spiritual benefits really outweigh the physical discomfort.