Any recommendations for a good Utah employment lawyer - possible unlawful termination?

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Any recommendations for a good Utah employment lawyer - possible unlawful termination?

Post by Original_Intent »

I don't know any lawyers, but I know there are a lot of companies looking to downsize and can give you good basic advice.

If they let you go but left you eligible for unemployment, there is NOTHING you can do in Utah.
If they are trying to let you go with cause (no unemployment) did they document you being called in and put on an improvement plan?
Did being put on a PIP follow an acquisition by another company? Did it come after some other major reorganization? Did it come after years of service with no problems but suddenly you got blindsided without good cause?
If they put you on a PIP, can you show that the things that were laid out in the personal Improvement Plan were either unreasonable or were outside of the job description that you were hired for - i.e. they changed the position and then dinged you for poor performance in the new job?

If any of those is the case, then you can probably challenge it yourself pretty easily - the challenge won't get you your job back, but they will almost for sure force the company to make you eligible for unemployment benefits. I have worked for a couple of companies that made a decision to downsize and tried to PIP people out of the company as a first step. Sadly they really have nothing to lose by doing so - the best outcome is that you get the benefits that you deserved, the state informed me that I had no right to sue for damages or anything else because when the company clears you for benefits, there are no more damages.

farmerchick
captain of 1,000

Re: Any recommendations for a good Utah employment lawyer - possible unlawful termination?

Post by farmerchick »

why not find a better job? Companies are always looking for quality applicants. Wouldn't that be a better step forward instead? Just seems like a no brainer to skip the stress and make more money. Moving up in pay would be a splendid revenge anyway you look at it. Here in the pnw there aren't enough employees to go around in any sector. With remote work, people can work from anywhere so that's a plus. Use this experience as a stepping stone. Employment benefits, while you have undoubtedly earned them, are not as good or as satisfying as a better paying job.... unless you just want to go after your employer who you believe has terminated you unlawfully...in that case enjoy your unemployment benefits till they run out.....good luck!

Leland41-2
captain of 100

Post by Leland41-2 »

I attended the WeCanAct liberty conference on October 22 and 23, 2021. Someone had placed a bunch of business cards on many of the seats to advertise for a law firm which has the goal of defending patriots. You might consider calling these people to see if they could help you.

Kent

Business card contents:
------------------------------------
Larry Meyers
Liberty Law Firm
[email protected]
www.forlibertylaw.com
334 West Tabernacle, Unit J-3
St. George, UT 84770
435-668-6292
Former Prosecutor
Now Defending Your Rights