What your kids are being taught in Seminary.

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

What your kids are being taught in Seminary.

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

For me, LDS Seminary was an ok experience. I can now see how heavy doses of conditioning were used, but we were none-the-wiser back then. A friend of mine (UT) recently received a photo from her child about a slide the teacher flashed up on the screen. It said the following:

——
PRINCIPLE:
We cannot fully accept and come unto Christ unless we accept the teachings of his prophets.

——

I'm not going to say anything more. Some of you think that all I do is post "negative" things... so I'll let you decide if this is an appropriate doctrine to be indoctrinating (sorry "teaching") the rising generation of children. What is the appropriate doctrine... I mean, if you disagree that is.

What does #HearHim really mean.....? Hmmm....
Attachments
accept-the-prophets-to-come-to-Christ.png
accept-the-prophets-to-come-to-Christ.png (557.75 KiB) Viewed 910 times

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: What your kids are being taught in Seminary.

BTW, there was more. The seminary teacher taught in this same lesson that the baptism of fire and the Holy Ghost is when we "receive" the Holy Ghost, and aligned this with the act of having hands placed upon your head and that phrase is spoken.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

It depends on what they mean by "prophets".
If we're talking about the likes of Isaiah, Moses, Abraham, Ezekiel etc, no problem.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Robin Hood wrote: January 24th, 2023, 10:34 am It depends on what they mean by "prophets".
If we're talking about the likes of Isaiah, Moses, Abraham, Ezekiel etc, no problem.
These dudes:
Attachments
these-dudes.png
these-dudes.png (207.68 KiB) Viewed 893 times

JLHPROF
captain of 1,000

Post by JLHPROF »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: January 24th, 2023, 10:30 am
——
PRINCIPLE:
We cannot fully accept and come unto Christ unless we accept the teachings of his prophets.

I agree with this principle. It's doctrinally true. However its application is a different issue.
If it weren't true there'd have been zero need for Joseph and the Book of Mormon.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

JLHPROF wrote: January 24th, 2023, 2:15 pm
——
PRINCIPLE:

I agree with this principle. It's doctrinally true. However its application is a different issue.
If it weren't true there'd have been zero need for Joseph and the Book of Mormon.
It is not doctrinally true, especially if you are a student of church history. One prophet contradicts another. Modern prophets literally contradict the words of Christ. Christ wants us, in the end, to be taught personally by him...

Why can't we just believe what Christ taught in scripture? He does call prophets, but we only heed them when they speak by the voice of the Holy Ghost. And sometimes they don't. They are mortal, they make mistakes. Really bad ones sometimes. Like taking the Lord's name in vain. Why isn't this taught in Primary 101?

To assume that Joseph's role and that of the BoM are conditional upon any church leader is a great fallacy.

gruden2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by gruden2.0 »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: January 24th, 2023, 10:30 am For me, LDS Seminary was an ok experience. I can now see how heavy doses of conditioning were used, but we were none-the-wiser back then. A friend of mine (UT) recently received a photo from her child about a slide the teacher flashed up on the screen. It said the following:

——
PRINCIPLE:

——

I'm not going to say anything more. Some of you think that all I do is post "negative" things... so I'll let you decide if this is an appropriate doctrine to be indoctrinating (sorry "teaching") the rising generation of children. What is the appropriate doctrine... I mean, if you disagree that is.

Is this principle not 'more true'?

Principle: We cannot fully accept and come unto Christ unless we accept the teaching of God's Holy Word, the Scriptures?

TwochurchesOnly
captain of 1,000

Post by TwochurchesOnly »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: January 24th, 2023, 10:30 am For me, LDS Seminary was an ok experience. I can now see how heavy doses of conditioning were used, but we were none-the-wiser back then. A friend of mine (UT) recently received a photo from her child about a slide the teacher flashed up on the screen. It said the following:

——
PRINCIPLE:

——

"Like unto us, so the Savior said, and learn from days "(gong)by - 🎶🎹
seriously, I had good experience in seminary Book of Mormon studies
My children wouldn't be in seminary now

Valo
captain of 100

Post by Valo »

——
PRINCIPLE:

——

Mine shows up with 10 minutes left and sleeps so probably nothing.

I'll ask.

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

I cannot speak to the curriculum being presented in seminary these days. I can tell you that in order for my youngest to register I was required to sign a very burdensome, one sided contract with LDSCo. I would encourage all parents to read it.

My son was allowed to attend for 3 months while the stake seminary coordinator talked to SLC about the edits I made to the document. Apparently there was no deal to be made, and my son was told he could only attend if I signed the slip. He has not been back.

During the 3 months of his attendance, we talked about the lessons each day after class. Spiritual volleyball, word puzzles, and videos seemed to be the order of the day. There were also voluminous numbers of sugar laden treats each morning that were virtually a requirement to eat. Not much of substance there for the mind, spirit or body.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

gruden2.0 wrote: January 24th, 2023, 3:47 pm Is this principle not 'more true'?

Principle: We cannot fully accept and come unto Christ unless we accept the teaching of God's Holy Word, the Scriptures?
I still think that's too vague. The scriptures are interpreted in hundreds of ways by millions of people. And there are errors.

I think his teachings in 2 Nephi 28:30-31 as well as where he presents his doctrine in 3 Nephi are the closest to a baseline doctrine.

1. He will teach us. Don't trust anyone/anything unless the Holy Ghost witnesses.

2. Faith, repentance, baptism fire/HG. then we build upon that foundation.

BigT
captain of 100

Post by BigT »

Obrien wrote: January 24th, 2023, 4:05 pm I cannot speak to the curriculum being presented in seminary these days. I can tell you that in order for my youngest to register I was required to sign a very burdensome, one sided contract with LDSCo. I would encourage all parents to read it.

My son was allowed to attend for 3 months while the stake seminary coordinator talked to SLC about the edits I made to the document. Apparently there was no deal to be made, and my son was told he could only attend if I signed the slip. He has not been back.

During the 3 months of his attendance, we talked about the lessons each day after class. Spiritual volleyball, word puzzles, and videos seemed to be the order of the day. There were also voluminous numbers of sugar laden treats each morning that were virtually a requirement to eat. Not much of substance there for the mind, spirit or body.
Now I’m interested in what the contract said…

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

BigT wrote: January 24th, 2023, 4:21 pm
Obrien wrote: January 24th, 2023, 4:05 pm I cannot speak to the curriculum being presented in seminary these days. I can tell you that in order for my youngest to register I was required to sign a very burdensome, one sided contract with LDSCo. I would encourage all parents to read it.

Now I’m interested in what the contract said…
I’m even more interested in the edits he made....

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

You can find the form easily by typing "seminary registration form" into your search engine of choice.

It's been 1.5 years since went through this so-called process. I remember objecting to LDSCo reserving the right to capture my sons image, likeness, voice etc and retain it forever and use it for any purpose they might see fit. I objected to the monitoring of my sons communications, allowing church reps (not confined to seminary) to record any interaction with my son. Toward the end of the document the registration form was framed as an irrevocable contract with LDSCo that they could alter at any time to suit their purpose. I also had to agree that SLC would be the venue for any legal action that might ever occur between the signers of the document. It was very one sided (thank you kirton / mcconkie) legalistic "agreement" that I venture to bet not 5 in 100 parents read before they sign.

There were a couple of other issues I had with it, but I cannot recall them now. There allegedly was a process to go through if you had issues with the form - the church was non responsive, so the process was futile. I guess having the form subservienty signed ("bow your head and sign here") is more important ţo SLC than having my son in seminary...

blitzinstripes
captain of 1,000

Post by blitzinstripes »

"WE CANNOT FULLY COME UNTO CHRIST, UNTIL WE ARE WILLING TO PLACE OUR TRUST IN HIM ALONE, AND ELIMINATE THE NEED TO RELY ON MEN THAT STAND AS STUMBLING BLOCKS BETWEEN US AND HIM."

There. I fixed it for ya.

Fred
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fred »

——
PRINCIPLE:

The leaders of the church decided that it is a difficult procedure to determine who God calls as a prophet when one dies. So they came up with the plan that whoever lives longest is correct. No praying or fasting required. No need for any signs. No need even to ask God if he approves. People's testimonies are strengthened when they see God actually choose a prophet. So to put minds at rest, they came up with follow the profit. No need to bother asking God about it. Keep God at a distance. People can do without God. What they need is a profit.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Real prophets point to Christ.

JLHPROF
captain of 1,000

Post by JLHPROF »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: January 24th, 2023, 2:19 pm
——
PRINCIPLE:

It is not doctrinally true, especially if you are a student of church history. One prophet contradicts another. Modern prophets literally contradict the words of Christ. Christ wants us, in the end, to be taught personally by him...

Why can't we just believe what Christ taught in scripture? He does call prophets, but we only heed them when they speak by the voice of the Holy Ghost. And sometimes they don't. They are mortal, they make mistakes. Really bad ones sometimes. Like taking the Lord's name in vain. Why isn't this taught in Primary 101?
:D
Scripture is literally the teachings of the Prophets. Such a silly idea that we follow Christ's teachings instead of prophets.
Whether the writer was Paul, Peter, Mormon, Moses, or Joseph Smith. All scripture comes from the writing of prophets. We know absolutely nothing about Christ's teachings except what was written by prophets and apostles.

The only difference is which prophets we chose and voted to make "scripture".

JLHPROF
captain of 1,000

Post by JLHPROF »

Niemand wrote: January 24th, 2023, 5:57 pm Real prophets point to Christ.
And what exactly does that look like compared to the fake ones who spend their time telling people to follow Christ?

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

JLHPROF wrote: January 24th, 2023, 6:32 pm
And what exactly does that look like compared to the fake ones who spend their time telling people to follow Christ?
Doing, not just saying.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

JLHPROF wrote: January 24th, 2023, 6:31 pm
Reluctant Watchman wrote: January 24th, 2023, 2:19 pm
——
PRINCIPLE:

:D
Scripture is literally the teachings of the Prophets. Such a silly idea that we follow Christ's teachings instead of prophets.
Whether the writer was Paul, Peter, Mormon, Moses, or Joseph Smith. All scripture comes from the writing of prophets. We know absolutely nothing about Christ's teachings except what was written by prophets and apostles.

The only difference is which prophets we chose and voted to make "scripture".
You assume that every pronouncement by man is the word of the Lord. You have made lesser gods of men. You are breaking the first commandment.

Redpilled Mormon
captain of 100

Post by Redpilled Mormon »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: January 24th, 2023, 10:35 am
Robin Hood wrote: January 24th, 2023, 10:34 am It depends on what they mean by "prophets".
These dudes:

Gollum, Mr. Burns, and Nobody-Home. I know we're not supposed to judge by appearances, but each time I see Gollum and Mr. Burns, they just radiate a creepy fake-human pretense, lends credence to the notion that they are indeed sacrificing children in their spare time. Meanwhile the 3rd guy doesn't radiate malice so much as a vast emptiness.

The slide is simultaneously funny and creepy. Sort of like if evil alien overlords wearing human skin suits were doing their best impression of what a benevolent smile might look like, to appease their slaves (but they didn't really know how to do it).

gruden2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by gruden2.0 »

JLHPROF wrote: January 24th, 2023, 6:32 pm
It looks like what it says.
If the words come from God, then God will back up His words. Just like how Joseph Smith read of James' statement of how giving God is to those who inquire. Anyone else has no such guarantee. For Mormons this is important, as God said Joseph was the person designated to deliver His word in these times, and - to my knowledge - no one has be so designated since.

When it comes down to it, James 1:5 really says it all. It says God will give to all people liberally of 'any thing of the Lord', it does not say "I'll send you some guy to collect mandated donations and tell you to obey everything he says."

blitzinstripes
captain of 1,000

Post by blitzinstripes »

Redpilled Mormon wrote: January 24th, 2023, 6:41 pm
Reluctant Watchman wrote: January 24th, 2023, 10:35 am
These dudes:

Gollum, Mr. Burns, and Nobody-Home. I know we're not supposed to judge by appearances, but each time I see Gollum and Mr. Burns, they just radiate a creepy fake-human pretense, lends credence to the notion that they are indeed sacrificing children in their spare time. Meanwhile the 3rd guy doesn't radiate malice so much as a vast emptiness.

The slide is simultaneously funny and creepy. Sort of like if evil alien overlords wearing human skin suits were doing their best impression of what a benevolent smile might look like, to appease their slaves (but they didn't really know how to do it).
I can see "Mr Burns", but I also see Viktor from Underworld .
drugoy-mir-vosstanie-likanov-7127.jpg
drugoy-mir-vosstanie-likanov-7127.jpg (351.92 KiB) Viewed 495 times

Light Seeker
captain of 100

Post by Light Seeker »

——
PRINCIPLE:

——

It never ceases to amaze me that the opposite sides of the camp can’t see/ won’t see another side .

I have now been in here long enough to be pretty sure who will jump in here and say you are looking too far into things . Pointing out a problem that isn’t really a problem.

I don’t like it nor trust it . I also do not see me changing my mind .