My Grandson's Baptism

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
HeberC
captain of 100

My Grandson's Baptism

Post by HeberC »

I went out of state to attend my grandson's baptism. He wanted me to give a talk on the Holy Ghost. In the talk, I mentioned that the HG has the effect of pure intelligence that can make you know things that your own intelligence cannot. It will bring eternal knowledge to your remembrance and testify of Jesus Christ.

Afterwards, the bishop talked about 'AI'; artificial intelligence. He mentioned the term about six times and said that he used it to prepare his talk and that he 'fact checked it, so the information is reliable'. Welcome to the Planet of the Apes.

HVDC
captain of 1,000

Re: My Grandson's Baptism

Post by HVDC »

HeberC wrote: January 24th, 2023, 9:11 am I went out of state to attend my grandson's baptism. He wanted me to give a talk on the Holy Ghost. In the talk, I mentioned that the HG has the effect of pure intelligence that can make you know things that your own intelligence cannot. It will bring eternal knowledge to your remembrance and testify of Jesus Christ.

Afterwards, the bishop talked about 'AI'; artificial intelligence. He mentioned the term about six times and said that he used it to prepare his talk and that he 'fact checked it, so the information is reliable'. Welcome to the Planet of the Apes.
He's a Bishop.

Using something like A.I.

Is better than revelation.

More reliable, less ambiguous.

And one never has to make that difficult call.

Heartburn or the Holy Ghost?

Sir H
Last edited by HVDC on January 24th, 2023, 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

FoxMammaWisdom
The Heretic

Post by FoxMammaWisdom »

HeberC wrote: January 24th, 2023, 9:11 am I went out of state to attend my grandson's baptism. He wanted me to give a talk on the Holy Ghost. In the talk, I mentioned that the HG has the effect of pure intelligence that can make you know things that your own intelligence cannot. It will bring eternal knowledge to your remembrance and testify of Jesus Christ.

This is seriously scary. That bishop might be interested in learning about "Voice of God Technology".

Chip
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Chip »

That's hilarious! Because church has become so much about the ritual of presentation and delivery, you know this is going to become the standard way of doing things. It's the easiest way to connect the "A" member dot to the "B" calling dot.

What I think all this indicates is that we should be doing other things, as Christians, that computers cannot do. Currently, we are busied with tasks that have become obviated.

TwochurchesOnly
captain of 1,000

Post by TwochurchesOnly »

WTH

TheDuke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by TheDuke »

I sort of do the same process but w/o AI and I use the HG/LoC to fact check almost everything. BTW, like most people the fact checker seldom makes a case for wrong but does so occasionally.

Trucker
captain of 1,000

Post by Trucker »

So sad. What have we become

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

One glimmer of sunshine in your retelling of the tale is that the Bishop did not mindlessly quote a talk from General Conference. That's about the only talk preparation I hear in Church these days...

Momma J
captain of 1,000

Post by Momma J »

Incredibly sad. There is no way that the spirit of the Holy Ghost is guiding an AI talk in church. Does one feel the spirit when listing to him speak? Does the spirit abide anywhere in the chapel when AI is used?

blitzinstripes
captain of 1,000

Post by blitzinstripes »

AI stands to become a massive golden calf. Mankind will worship the works of their own hands. We have created life/ intelligence. We have become as the Gods.

Google has already been a golden calf for years. An unquestionable source of truth. Next it was the social media fact checkers. As if they were harbingers of truth. Soon, almost everyone will simply defer to the accepted A.I. in all matters. It will become our new God.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

Momma J wrote: January 24th, 2023, 11:57 am Incredibly sad. There is no way that the spirit of the Holy Ghost is guiding an AI talk in church. Does one feel the spirit when listing to him speak? Does the spirit abide anywhere in the chapel when AI is used?
Guiding? Not really guiding... but the HG will testify and witness of truth regardless of the source. What disservice would it be for God to only allow the witness of truth to come from perfect vessels? None are perfect. Hence the admonition to verify all things through the HG.

JLHPROF
captain of 1,000

Post by JLHPROF »

Knowing most Bishops he probably just meant Google. Nothing more sinister than a bit of research.

endlessQuestions
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by endlessQuestions »

I'm not sure I understand all the hand-wringing here.

Can AI not produce true statements?

If it can, can the Spirit testify of that truth?

If people were as interested in "Artificial Conscience" as they were "Artificial Intelligence", we might really be on to something.

Unfortunately, we are highly interested in one part of the equation, and not at all interested in the other.

So the outcome is likely to be poor.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

endlessQuestions wrote: January 24th, 2023, 2:13 pm I'm not sure I understand all the hand-wringing here.

If people were as interested in "Artificial Conscience" as they were "Artificial Intelligence", we might really be on to something.

Unfortunately, we are highly interested in one part of the equation, and not at all interested in the other.

I think it's the fact that he allowed AI to do some of the thinking for him.

endlessQuestions
Level 34 Illuminated

Reluctant Watchman wrote: January 24th, 2023, 2:14 pm
endlessQuestions wrote: January 24th, 2023, 2:13 pm I'm not sure I understand all the hand-wringing here.

I think it's the fact that he allowed AI to do some of the thinking for him.
We all allow things to think for us all the time.

It's a great advantage.

AI is a tool.

It will be used for good.

And for evil.

Mostly evil, probably, with the way things are going. :)

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

endlessQuestions wrote: January 24th, 2023, 2:20 pm We all allow things to think for us all the time.

It's a great advantage.

AI is a tool.

And for evil.

I seem to remember something about trust and, blah, blah, blah... arm of flesh... now we need to add AI... :)

I have a hard time seeing how AI is good when we use it to present spiritual precepts. Who knows, maybe the bot will slip in some correct doctrine that challenges the church MO... he probably wouldn't be the wiser though.
Last edited by Reluctant Watchman on January 24th, 2023, 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

endlessQuestions
Level 34 Illuminated

Reluctant Watchman wrote: January 24th, 2023, 2:24 pm
endlessQuestions wrote: January 24th, 2023, 2:20 pm We all allow things to think for us all the time.

It's a great advantage.

AI is a tool.

And for evil.

I seem to remember something about trust and, blah, blah, blah... arm of flesh... now we need to add AI... :)

I have a hard time seeing how AI is good when we use it to present spiritual precepts.
AI is one source of data.

Just like all sources of data, it ought to be tested against the standard works, and the voice of the Spirit.

I'll let you have the last word, if you'd like it.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

endlessQuestions wrote: January 24th, 2023, 2:25 pm

Just like all sources of data, it ought to be tested against the standard works, and the voice of the Spirit.

I don't drink from a spring when I know it has cowpies in it.

That was way more than one.

TwochurchesOnly
captain of 1,000

Post by TwochurchesOnly »

To be clear, was the subject of bishop's talk - at the baptism - AI ?!
Weird

HeberC
captain of 100

Post by HeberC »

The bishop prefaced his talk, several times, with the fact that he used 'artificial intelligence' to form his talk on baptism.

At the risk of dwelling upon the obvious... "artificial intelligence" is an oxymoron and it perfectly defines Satan's self. He has no intelligence. He forfeited it, or rather, had it removed as a consequence of his rebellion... zero glory for him. Someone familiar with the Book of Jasher or the Book of Enoch can verify this. Sorry... I've been meaning to get my own copies of them.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

HeberC wrote: January 24th, 2023, 3:10 pm The bishop prefaced his talk, several times, with the fact that he used 'artificial intelligence' to form his talk on baptism.

At the risk of dwelling upon the obvious... "artificial intelligence" is an oxymoron and it perfectly defines Satan's self. He has no intelligence. He forfeited it, or rather, had it removed as a consequence of his rebellion... zero glory for him. Someone familiar with the Book of Jasher or the Book of Enoch can verify this. Sorry... I've been meaning to get my own copies of them.
How do you know Lucifer lost his intelligence? Where does it teach that it was removed? Glory was removed, of course, but he isn't called a wise serpent for giggles. He is the god of this world, he knows how to manipulate truth.
Last edited by Reluctant Watchman on January 24th, 2023, 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gruden2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by gruden2.0 »

If the guy specifically mentioned 'AI' six times, he probably meant exactly that.

That being said, he probably relied on search engine results to craft his talks and such previously. That, in and of itself, isn't bad, but at the same time it can produce results like what happened to Bednar recently where you have a reliance on tech to produce results instead of connecting with the Spirit to gain new understanding, which not only benefits you but also those that might hear or read it.

So search engines are a tool, and they can be used for good or ill, it's more a question of engaging your mind and spirit, which will results in growth. Letting AI do the work (ie. the thinking) for you will lead to atrophy and loss of light and understanding. I can see people using AI output because it sounds good without having understanding of what it's actually saying. That loss can be very rapid the more we use it. A very quick decent to Idiocracy. I think there was also a Star Trek episode that covered this, I need to check DuckDuckGo...
Last edited by gruden2.0 on January 24th, 2023, 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Valo
captain of 100

Post by Valo »

endlessQuestions wrote: January 24th, 2023, 2:25 pm
Reluctant Watchman wrote: January 24th, 2023, 2:24 pm

It's a great advantage.

AI is a tool.

And for evil.

I have a hard time seeing how AI is good when we use it to present spiritual precepts.

Just because we do something doesn’t mean that something ought to be done.

Why do we all rely on anything to do the thinking for us?

It's not natural. It's not what God has commanded. So why is it so prevelant do you think?

Chip
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Chip »

For anyone who is not getting it, this is an example of what AI can do:

Input:

Write a brief LDS church talk on the Book of Mormon. Use 8-year-old language.

Output:

Hello everyone! Today I want to talk to you about a really cool book that we have in our church. It's called the Book of Mormon.

The Book of Mormon is a special book that tells the story of a group of people who lived a long, long time ago in a place called ancient America. These people were taught about Jesus Christ by a prophet named Lehi, who was a prophet sent by God.

The Book of Mormon teaches us about Jesus and how we can be like Him. It also teaches us about how to be good people and how to follow God's commandments.

One of my favorite stories from the Book of Mormon is about a boy named Alma. He was a really mean kid, but he learned about Jesus and changed his ways. He became a prophet and helped many people understand God's love.

The Book of Mormon is like a treasure chest of stories that can help us learn and grow. We can read it and learn about Jesus and His teachings. It's like a guidebook to help us be good people and follow God.

So, I invite all of you to read the Book of Mormon and learn more about Jesus and how to be like Him. It's a really cool book and I know you will like it too.

In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

Valo
captain of 100

Post by Valo »

"The interpretation of the passages in the book of Jeremiah that are believed to refer to a future "servant" or "messiah" figure can vary depending on one's religious beliefs and interpretive framework.

From a literary and historical perspective, the passages in Jeremiah that are believed to refer to a future "servant" or "messiah" figure can be understood as part of the larger prophetic tradition in the Old Testament. In this context, the passages can be understood as referring to a future leader or savior figure who will bring salvation and restoration to the people of Israel and Judah. The passages in Jeremiah 23:5-6 and 31:31-34 can be understood in this light.

It is important to note that in the context of the book of Jeremiah, the message of the prophet is primarily focused on the impending judgment and exile of the people of Israel and Judah due to their idolatry and disobedience. In this light, the passages which talks about the future savior may be seen as a message of hope for the people in their exile, who will be delivered by God.

In summary, while there are different ways to interpret the passages in the book of Jeremiah that are believed to refer to a future "servant" or "messiah" figure, the most authentic interpretation of these passages within the context of the book of Jeremiah would be a future leader or savior figure who will bring salvation and restoration to the people of Israel and Judah as part of God's plan for his people."