Is Priesthood Even a Thing?

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Bronco73idi
captain of 1,000

Re: Is Priesthood Even a Thing?

Post by Bronco73idi »

Isaiah 24:5, we are ripe for destruction because we “have transgressed the laws, changed the ordinance, broken the everlasting covenant.”

4 The earth mourneth and fadeth away, the world languisheth and fadeth away, the haughty people of the earth do languish.
5 The earth also is defiled under the inhabitants thereof; because they have transgressed the laws, changed the ordinance, broken the everlasting covenant.
6 Therefore hath the curse devoured the earth, and they that dwell therein are desolate: therefore the inhabitants of the earth are burned, and few men left.

If we don’t have something that can bind us to our lord and Father then how can we be tried so harshly?

Verse 6 tells us it isn’t about the house of Judah in 600BC because men destroyed Judah, not a cursed earth that burns the inhabitants. This is the sun micro novaing. This is why the moon missions were called the sun, Apollo.

It’s all one big story. The real question is, what is the everlasting covenant that we broke as a Christian society?

Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Luke »

Redpilled Mormon wrote: January 28th, 2023, 8:38 am
Luke wrote: January 28th, 2023, 1:52 am
Redpilled Mormon wrote: January 27th, 2023, 6:59 pm
Luke wrote: January 27th, 2023, 2:47 pm

D&C 107 doesn’t say that it was God who told them to call it the Melchizedek Priesthood. It just said they didn’t want to use His name too frequently.
So why didn't the Savior correct them that it needed to be called in his name, the same way he did regarding the name of his church? I think this is maybe the dog that wasn't barking, a serious clue that the priesthood is an artifice of man.
Hard to escape the reality of Priesthood in the Book of Mormon.
Based on? (Not quipping here, looking for solid arguments)
Based on the fact that Priesthood is a subject treated on numerous times in the Book of Mormon. Alma 13 for instance. The first few chapters of Moroni is also somewhere to start.

TheDuke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by TheDuke »

Luke wrote: January 28th, 2023, 10:07 am
Based on the fact that Priesthood is a subject treated on numerous times in the Book of Mormon. Alma 13 for instance. The first few chapters of Moroni is also somewhere to start.
Interesting to quote Alma 13, where we get a tutorial of the MP but no where does Alma claim it. further he says these ancient HPs (before and after Melchizedek) were ordained by being foreordained?

Alma doesn't claim the PH here, but asks those to repent and understand what those with MP taught? Strange huh?

Redpilled Mormon
captain of 100

Post by Redpilled Mormon »

TheDuke wrote: January 28th, 2023, 7:54 pm
Luke wrote: January 28th, 2023, 10:07 am
Interesting to quote Alma 13, where we get a tutorial of the MP but no where does Alma claim it. further he says these ancient HPs (before and after Melchizedek) were ordained by being foreordained?

Alma doesn't claim the PH here, but asks those to repent and understand what those with MP taught? Strange huh?
Something else perhaps to factor in is that Alma was in the timeframe of the law of Moses.

But I agree, in reading through the cited Alma chapter I'm seeing that the ordination to be a priest his foreordained directly God (no line of authority of laying on of hands mentioned here) apparently in the pre-existence, and looks like it is attained by faith. Seems to be a descriptor of those who have entered into his rest via faith on his atonement, no mention of it being restricted to anyone (if anything, sounds like everyone is 'pre-qualified' for it in the pre existence).

Also nowhere is it mentioned that this refers to Aaronic or Melchizedek priesthoods as the current lds church portrays them. Melchizedek is specifically mentioned of an example of a high priest, however (perhaps ironically) nothing denotes he held the Melchizedek priesthood or that there ever was such a thing.

I'm thinking we're seeing law of Moses references here to priests, not the same thing as the current understanding of 'priesthood' via most Restoration groups (specifically lds since that's the culture I was raised in).

Side note about Melchizedek, in verse 19 we have an apparent contradiction, since 'there were many before him and many after, but none greater'. Yet of course the Savior is greater, and the Savior himself said that John the Baptist is greatest among those born of woman (aside from himself presumably). However this is pre-John and also before the Savior is born, so there's really no conflict and this can still be a true statement. Also it could just be Alma's opinion I guess, since it isn't God speaking here.

Reading the first few chapters of Moroni, the only one I can see might apply is chapter 3, which is about elders of the church ordaining other elders of the church. It's difficult to set my lds cultural biases aside, but if I do I honestly don't see any relation to either Aaronic or Melchizedek priesthoods there. This is about church callings, not making 'jedi warriors' who can use 'the Force'. At least imo, but I'm still puzzling it out. Good references Luke, I appreciate it and if you've got more that come to mind please feel free to mention them.