Is the Book of Commandments True?

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.

How do you feel about the Book of Commandments?

Poll ended at January 29th, 2023, 7:54 am

100% true
75%
100% false
No votes
Was true, but not pertinent any longer
25%

Total votes: 4
CaptainM
captain of 100

Is the Book of Commandments True?

Post by CaptainM »

Was/is the Book of Commandments a book given to the world by God? Is it pertinent to us now?

CaptainM
captain of 100

Re: Is the Book of Commandments True?

Post by CaptainM »

There is no revelation in The Book of Commandments to have it printed. I believe it was never intended to be printed (and thus the D&C). I believe this is the core reason the printing press was allowed to be destroyed in Independence.

Joseph Smith said this about it at the time of its approval to be printed:

”Joseph Smith’s history refers to the revelations as “the foundation of the Church in these last days, and a benefit to the world, showing that the keys of the mysteries of the kingdom of our Savior are again entrusted to man.” (Heading to LDS D. & C. Section 70)

Yet the Lord said this about the Book of Mormon:

12 And now, my sons, remember, remember that it is upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your foundation; that when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, yea, his shafts in the whirlwind, yea, when all his hail and his mighty storm shall beat upon you, it shall have no power over you to drag you down to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which ye are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall. (Helaman 5)

2 I the Lord am God, and I have given these things unto my servant Joseph, and I have commanded him that he should stand as a witness of these things, nevertheless I have caused him that he should enter into a covenant with me, that he should not show them except I command him, and he has no power over them except I grant it unto him; and he has a gift to translate the book, and I have commanded him that he shall pretend to no other gift, for I will grant him no other gift. (Book of Commandments 4)

17 Behold this is my doctrine: whosoever repenteth, and cometh unto me, the same is my church: whosoever declareth more or less than this, the same is not of me, but is against me: therefore, he is not of my church. (Book of Commandments 9)

1 Now behold, because of the thing which you have desired to know of me, I give unto you these words: 2 Behold I have manifested unto you, by my Spirit in many instances, that the things which you have written are true: 3 Wherefore you know that they are true; and if you know that they are true, behold I give unto you a commandment, that you rely upon the things which are written (Bible & Book of Mormon); for in them are all things written, concerning my church, my gospel, and my rock. 4 Wherefore if you shall build up my church, and my gospel, and my rock, the gates of hell shall not prevail against you. (Book of Commandments 15)

Have the gates of hell prevailed?

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Re: Is the Book of Commandments True?

Post by Silver Pie »

The poll has ended, but I think it was a more accurate recording of revelations than the D&C. A committee made the revelations a bit more flowery, and added parts that didn't exist in the previous book (Book of Commandments).

I don't think it was ever intended for the world. I think it was simply a recording of revelations so members of the Church could read them.