What would you do if God actually called someone to lead you?

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Shawn Henry
captain of 1,000

Re: What would you do if God actually called someone to lead you?

Post by Shawn Henry »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: January 21st, 2023, 9:08 pm Do people think the OMAS is going to teach some special magical doctrine other than the gospel of Jesus Christ? I honestly have to wonder if the OMAS would be perfectly fine with a person living the gospel as the Spirit directs them. This person (OMAS) wouldn’t be so prideful as to suggest any other path.
We will be led out of physical bondage and we will be led to Zion. If you are content staying in bondage, please feel free to continue not looking for the very person who will lead you out. I will be looking for you in Zion though, hope you make it.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

Shawn Henry wrote: January 21st, 2023, 9:14 pm
Reluctant Watchman wrote: January 21st, 2023, 9:08 pm Do people think the OMAS is going to teach some special magical doctrine other than the gospel of Jesus Christ? I honestly have to wonder if the OMAS would be perfectly fine with a person living the gospel as the Spirit directs them. This person (OMAS) wouldn’t be so prideful as to suggest any other path.
We will be led out of physical bondage and we will be led to Zion. If you are content staying in bondage, please feel free to continue not looking for the very person who will lead you out. I will be looking for you in Zion though, hope you make it.
And you think that getting out of physical bondage isn’t possible without a leader? Sure, there will be a larger gathering to a place(s) of Zion, but that doesn’t mean there aren’t small gatherings of Zion-like people already. All it takes is the pure in heart.

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

Shawn Henry wrote: January 21st, 2023, 9:09 pm
Obrien wrote: January 21st, 2023, 6:48 pm
JLHPROF wrote: January 20th, 2023, 8:41 pm As a counter discussion to the other thread the fact exists that God does and has called men as prophets to lead groups of his people throughout every dispensation.

Many here reject the leaders of the Church.
Many here look for a Davidic Servant, a One Mighty and Strong, or a new dispensation.
Many here also state firmly that they don't have to follow ANY man.

So IF there were a new messenger called by the Lord and truly sent by Him is there any thing on earth that would lead you to follow the direction of that man?

(And don't cop out with a "by the spirit" response - there's no reason the Lord's Spirit would override agency to make someone absolutely opposed to following a man suddenly feel it was right by the spirit. God expects more faith than to overrule our firmly held paradigms. He's not going to make you believe.)
I am through following men because they say they have some calling to lead me.
Period.
If God wants to talk, I'd absolutely make myself available for the discussion.
God has already had that talk in scripture. He has told us who will be coming and who will lead us. I highly doubt you will be available for a discussion you have already disregarded.
Shawn - I'm not as active on the forum as I used to be, so forgive me for not knowing your perspective. So that I understand exactly what YOU mean by your post, please give me a readers digest version of the scriptures you are referencing.

Shawn Henry
captain of 1,000

Post by Shawn Henry »

BuriedTartaria wrote: January 20th, 2023, 9:54 pm I feel like very rarely does God call prophets who are intended to be leaders of groups.
Not only are we in the times where multiple prophets will soon lead multiple groups on an end-time exodus, but all these leaders will fall under the Prince of David who will lead them all as the King of David leads him. Exciting times!

darknesstolight
captain of 1,000

Post by darknesstolight »

3 And because my words shall hiss forth—many of the Gentiles shall say: A Bible! A Bible! We have got a Bible, and there cannot be any more Bible. 4 But thus saith the Lord God: O fools, they shall have a Bible; and it shall proceed forth from the Jews, mine ancient covenant people. And what thank they the Jews for the Bible which they receive from them? Yea, what do the Gentiles mean? Do they remember the travails, and the labors, and the pains of the Jews, and their diligence unto me, in bringing forth salvation unto the Gentiles? 5 O ye Gentiles, have ye remembered the Jews, mine ancient covenant people? Nay; but ye have cursed them, and have hated them, and have not sought to recover them. But behold, I will return all these things upon your own heads; for I the Lord have not forgotten my people. 6 Thou fool, that shall say: A Bible, we have got a Bible, and we need no more Bible. Have ye obtained a Bible save it were by the Jews? 7 Know ye not that there are more nations than one? Know ye not that I, the Lord your God, have created all men, and that I remember those who are upon the isles of the sea; and that I rule in the heavens above and in the earth beneath; and I bring forth my word unto the children of men, yea, even upon all the nations of the earth? 8 Wherefore murmur ye, because that ye shall receive more of my word? Know ye not that the testimony of two nations is a witness unto you that I am God, that I remember one nation like unto another? Wherefore, I speak the same words unto one nation like unto another. And when the two nations shall run together the testimony of the two nations shall run together also. 9 And I do this that I may prove unto many that I am the same yesterday, today, and forever; and that I speak forth my words according to mine own pleasure. And because that I have spoken one word ye need not suppose that I cannot speak another; for my work is not yet finished; neither shall it be until the end of man, neither from that time henceforth and forever. 10 Wherefore, because that ye have a Bible ye need not suppose that it contains all my words; neither need ye suppose that I have not caused more to be written. 11 For I command all men, both in the east and in the west, and in the north, and in the south, and in the islands of the sea, that they shall write the words which I speak unto them; for out of the books which shall be written I will judge the world, every man according to their works, according to that which is written. 12 For behold, I shall speak unto the Jews and they shall write it; and I shall also speak unto the Nephites and they shall write it; and I shall also speak unto the other tribes of the house of Israel, which I have led away, and they shall write it; and I shall also speak unto all nations of the earth and they shall write it. 13 And it shall come to pass that the Jews shall have the words of the Nephites, and the Nephites shall have the words of the Jews; and the Nephites and the Jews shall have the words of the lost tribes of Israel; and the lost tribes of Israel shall have the words of the Nephites and the Jews. 14 And it shall come to pass that my people, which are of the house of Israel, shall be gathered home unto the lands of their possessions; and my word also shall be gathered in one. And I will show unto them that fight against my word and against my people, who are of the house of Israel, that I am God, and that I covenanted with Abraham that I would remember his seed forever.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

darknesstolight wrote: January 21st, 2023, 9:28 pm
3 And because my words shall hiss forth—many of the Gentiles shall say: A Bible! A Bible! We have got a Bible, and there cannot be any more Bible. 4 But thus saith the Lord God: O fools, they shall have a Bible; and it shall proceed forth from the Jews, mine ancient covenant people. And what thank they the Jews for the Bible which they receive from them? Yea, what do the Gentiles mean? Do they remember the travails, and the labors, and the pains of the Jews, and their diligence unto me, in bringing forth salvation unto the Gentiles? 5 O ye Gentiles, have ye remembered the Jews, mine ancient covenant people? Nay; but ye have cursed them, and have hated them, and have not sought to recover them. But behold, I will return all these things upon your own heads; for I the Lord have not forgotten my people. 6 Thou fool, that shall say: A Bible, we have got a Bible, and we need no more Bible. Have ye obtained a Bible save it were by the Jews? 7 Know ye not that there are more nations than one? Know ye not that I, the Lord your God, have created all men, and that I remember those who are upon the isles of the sea; and that I rule in the heavens above and in the earth beneath; and I bring forth my word unto the children of men, yea, even upon all the nations of the earth? 8 Wherefore murmur ye, because that ye shall receive more of my word? Know ye not that the testimony of two nations is a witness unto you that I am God, that I remember one nation like unto another? Wherefore, I speak the same words unto one nation like unto another. And when the two nations shall run together the testimony of the two nations shall run together also. 9 And I do this that I may prove unto many that I am the same yesterday, today, and forever; and that I speak forth my words according to mine own pleasure. And because that I have spoken one word ye need not suppose that I cannot speak another; for my work is not yet finished; neither shall it be until the end of man, neither from that time henceforth and forever. 10 Wherefore, because that ye have a Bible ye need not suppose that it contains all my words; neither need ye suppose that I have not caused more to be written. 11 For I command all men, both in the east and in the west, and in the north, and in the south, and in the islands of the sea, that they shall write the words which I speak unto them; for out of the books which shall be written I will judge the world, every man according to their works, according to that which is written. 12 For behold, I shall speak unto the Jews and they shall write it; and I shall also speak unto the Nephites and they shall write it; and I shall also speak unto the other tribes of the house of Israel, which I have led away, and they shall write it; and I shall also speak unto all nations of the earth and they shall write it. 13 And it shall come to pass that the Jews shall have the words of the Nephites, and the Nephites shall have the words of the Jews; and the Nephites and the Jews shall have the words of the lost tribes of Israel; and the lost tribes of Israel shall have the words of the Nephites and the Jews. 14 And it shall come to pass that my people, which are of the house of Israel, shall be gathered home unto the lands of their possessions; and my word also shall be gathered in one. And I will show unto them that fight against my word and against my people, who are of the house of Israel, that I am God, and that I covenanted with Abraham that I would remember his seed forever.

Thanks for sharing your own thoughts. I’m glad you had an opinion on the matter.

BTW, to equate my comment with the scriptures and denying doctrine is silly. Did I say a servant won’t come? No. I didn’t. I hope he does, all I’m saying is that if a person is truly being guided by the Spirit, the OMAS won’t be doing a lot of “setting in order.” That’s all.

darknesstolight
captain of 1,000

Reluctant Watchman wrote: January 21st, 2023, 9:30 pm

Thanks for sharing your own thoughts. I’m glad you had an opinion on the matter.
viewtopic.php?p=1342700#p1342700

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

darknesstolight wrote: January 21st, 2023, 9:32 pm

Another void-of-opinion comment. Share your own thoughts DLT.

darknesstolight
captain of 1,000

Reluctant Watchman wrote: January 21st, 2023, 9:34 pm

Shawn Henry
captain of 1,000

Post by Shawn Henry »

Obrien wrote: January 21st, 2023, 9:21 pm Shawn - I'm not as active on the forum as I used to be, so forgive me for not knowing your perspective. So that I understand exactly what YOU mean by your post, please give me a readers digest version of the scriptures you are referencing.
I'm simply referring to the scriptures that speak of all the end-times servants, the Davidic Servant or Prince of David, the one mighty and strong, the latter-day Moses who is raised up specifically to lead us out of bondage as Moses did, the redemption of Zion happening under the servant who the Lord references in the parable, the two prophets in the book of Revelation, etc.

I hope none hear fall into that trap, but I don't see taking the holy spirit as our guide as a substitute for studying the Lord's words about these end-time servants. I feel the two are too intertwined. If we have truly taken the holy spirit as our guide, then we have followed his initial promptings to study these servants in the scriptures and we follow the spirits continued promptings to look for their coming.

It is similar to God sending John the Baptist to prepare the way for Jesus. It would not have worked out well for everyone if John had no followers because they were all convinced that the holy spirit would bypass John and lead everyone straight to Jesus. John's whole mission was to point the way.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

darknesstolight wrote: January 21st, 2023, 9:38 pm

Yes, your copy/paste buttons are working well. :)

darknesstolight
captain of 1,000

Reluctant Watchman wrote: January 21st, 2023, 9:40 pm

Is fourth time a charm?

Four leaf clover?

Let's see...

Shawn Henry
captain of 1,000

Post by Shawn Henry »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: January 21st, 2023, 9:16 pm And you think that getting out of physical bondage isn’t possible without a leader? Sure, there will be a larger gathering to a place(s) of Zion, but that doesn’t mean there aren’t small gatherings of Zion-like people already. All it takes is the pure in heart.
Of course it is, but the Lord isn't specifically sending leaders just so we can not follow them. That wouldn't make much sense.

You remind me of the story where the man is stuck on his roof due to flooding. He tells the man in the boat, the pilot of the helicopter, and everyone else who tries to rescue him to not worry about it and to go on their way because he has been praying that God will save him and he has faith in God.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Shawn Henry wrote: January 21st, 2023, 9:51 pm
Reluctant Watchman wrote: January 21st, 2023, 9:16 pm And you think that getting out of physical bondage isn’t possible without a leader? Sure, there will be a larger gathering to a place(s) of Zion, but that doesn’t mean there aren’t small gatherings of Zion-like people already. All it takes is the pure in heart.
Of course it is, but the Lord isn't specifically sending leaders just so we can not follow them. That wouldn't make much sense.

You remind me of the story where the man is stuck on his roof due to flooding. He tells the man in the boat, the pilot of the helicopter, and everyone else who tries to rescue him to not worry about it and to go on their way because he has been praying that God will save him and he has faith in God.
The OMAS will not ask us to follow him, that’s the point I’m making. He will teach correct doctrine and ask us all to be as Moses opined, “Oh, that all men were prophets.”
Last edited by Reluctant Watchman on January 21st, 2023, 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

darknesstolight wrote: January 21st, 2023, 9:42 pm

Is fourth time a charm?

Four leaf clover?

Let's see...

Sorry, that one didn’t work.

darknesstolight
captain of 1,000

Shawn Henry wrote: January 21st, 2023, 8:27 pm Taking the holy spirit as your guide will lead you to the man raised up to lead us as Moses. Why would God raise up a man to lead us and then not have us follow that man? Sure, the spirit will give some a different mission, but the vast majority will be led by this latter-day Moses.

For those who are only following the spirit, they are some of the same who didn't follow the spirit when it directed them to study the reasons in the scriptures why God wants us to look for his end-time servants.
33 For man is spirit. The elements are eternal, and spirit and element, inseparably connected, receive a fulness of joy;
34 And when separated, man cannot receive a fulness of joy.
35 The elements are the tabernacle of God; yea, man is the tabernacle of God, even temples; and whatsoever temple is defiled, God shall destroy that temple.
36 The glory of God is intelligence, or, in other words, light and truth.
37 Light and truth forsake that evil one.

darknesstolight
captain of 1,000

Reluctant Watchman wrote: January 21st, 2023, 9:54 pm
darknesstolight wrote: January 21st, 2023, 9:42 pm

Is fourth time a charm?

Four leaf clover?

Let's see...

Sorry, that one didn’t work.
You need the last word?

Ye have it.

Ezra Taft Benson talk good for you. Even false prophets can speak the truth ye did say. Good luck my friend.

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

Shawn Henry wrote: January 21st, 2023, 9:39 pm
Obrien wrote: January 21st, 2023, 9:21 pm Shawn - I'm not as active on the forum as I used to be, so forgive me for not knowing your perspective. So that I understand exactly what YOU mean by your post, please give me a readers digest version of the scriptures you are referencing.
I'm simply referring to the scriptures that speak of all the end-times servants, the Davidic Servant or Prince of David, the one mighty and strong, the latter-day Moses who is raised up specifically to lead us out of bondage as Moses did, the redemption of Zion happening under the servant who the Lord references in the parable, the two prophets in the book of Revelation, etc.

I hope none hear fall into that trap, but I don't see taking the holy spirit as our guide as a substitute for studying the Lord's words about these end-time servants. I feel the two are too intertwined. If we have truly taken the holy spirit as our guide, then we have followed his initial promptings to study these servants in the scriptures and we follow the spirits continued promptings to look for their coming.

It is similar to God sending John the Baptist to prepare the way for Jesus. It would not have worked out well for everyone if John had no followers because they were all convinced that the holy spirit would bypass John and lead everyone straight to Jesus. John's whole mission was to point the way.
Thanks for your response to familiarize me with your perspective.
After 40+ years of being a FTP guy, I am now more of a 2 Nephi 31 / 32 guy.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

darknesstolight wrote: January 21st, 2023, 10:00 pm You need the last word?
It appears I’m not the only one. :)

darknesstolight
captain of 1,000

Obrien wrote: January 21st, 2023, 10:01 pm
Shawn Henry wrote: January 21st, 2023, 9:39 pm

Thanks for your response to familiarize me with your perspective.
After 40+ years of being a FTP guy, I am now more of a 2 Nephi 31 / 32 guy.
I can totally understand yet it is quite clearly the case that it won't just be the Antichrist doing his thing without any opposition.

Shawn Henry
captain of 1,000

Post by Shawn Henry »

darknesstolight wrote: January 21st, 2023, 9:58 pm
Shawn Henry wrote: January 21st, 2023, 8:27 pm Taking the holy spirit as your guide will lead you to the man raised up to lead us as Moses. Why would God raise up a man to lead us and then not have us follow that man? Sure, the spirit will give some a different mission, but the vast majority will be led by this latter-day Moses.

For those who are only following the spirit, they are some of the same who didn't follow the spirit when it directed them to study the reasons in the scriptures why God wants us to look for his end-time servants.
33 For man is spirit. The elements are eternal, and spirit and element, inseparably connected, receive a fulness of joy;
34 And when separated, man cannot receive a fulness of joy.
35 The elements are the tabernacle of God; yea, man is the tabernacle of God, even temples; and whatsoever temple is defiled, God shall destroy that temple.
36 The glory of God is intelligence, or, in other words, light and truth.
37 Light and truth forsake that evil one.

I don't understanding how you are connecting our separate comments?

BuriedTartaria
Captain of Tartary

Post by BuriedTartaria »

Shawn Henry wrote: January 21st, 2023, 9:22 pm
BuriedTartaria wrote: January 20th, 2023, 9:54 pm I feel like very rarely does God call prophets who are intended to be leaders of groups.
Not only are we in the times where multiple prophets will soon lead multiple groups on an end-time exodus, but all these leaders will fall under the Prince of David who will lead them all as the King of David leads him. Exciting times!
Different groups being reached by different leaders to eventually be united under a true prophetic leader sounds very appealing and possible. I've had similar thoughts to yours. I hope it happens. I hope it happens in our lifetimes. In my opinion there's just not much else for our current Babylonian empire to offer the public. There is certainly stability but I feel like a decline in the quality of the average person in the work force, a generation of miserable lost men and women and the crippling debt (personal debt, national debt, etc) is going to cause a collapse. I feel it's something that can't be avoided.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

JLHPROF wrote: January 20th, 2023, 9:08 pm It's a cop out because it's not thought through. Jim Jones followers think they were led by the Spirit. Warren Jeff's followers think they have the Spirit. The Lafferty's thought the Spirit told them to kill. And the Church members you deride for following RMN are positive they're following the Spirit.

Saying "the Spirit" assumes that you actually know the Spirit when it speaks. History is replete with people claiming spiritual confirmation of many wrong things.
And since these spiritual confirmations tends to confirm already held beliefs I sincerely doubt many of the anti-man/anti-authority posters here would receive any confirmation to follow a man, even if God did send him.
Good points. Emotion and the Spirit are often mixed up. Still, the question, “What would you do if God actually called someone to lead you?” suggests one is sure that it is God, not emotion calling them (whether true or not). There is a way to help distinguish between the 2 - by study of one’s soul, as Christ suggested (Luke 17:20-21 etc)…asking myself, “What are my strengths & weaknesses? Am I entertaining incorrect, distorted thoughts (ie polarization/bi-polar extremes, blame game, emotional reasoning…)?

It’s good you bring this up because there are many false prophets - we need to remember. And the temptation is HUGE to have other gods before God - to cling to some substitute parental “authority” to compensate for our own insecurities.

In considering what you ask, I imagine if I were black back in the 1960’s - would I have followed Martin Luther King? Yes, in some things, no in other things. Similarly with Joseph Smith. Even prophets are fallible & cannot be trusted as if God.

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

Thinker wrote: January 22nd, 2023, 8:39 am
JLHPROF wrote: January 20th, 2023, 9:08 pm It's a cop out because it's not thought through. Jim Jones followers think they were led by the Spirit. Warren Jeff's followers think they have the Spirit. The Lafferty's thought the Spirit told them to kill. And the Church members you deride for following RMN are positive they're following the Spirit.

Saying "the Spirit" assumes that you actually know the Spirit when it speaks. History is replete with people claiming spiritual confirmation of many wrong things.
And since these spiritual confirmations tends to confirm already held beliefs I sincerely doubt many of the anti-man/anti-authority posters here would receive any confirmation to follow a man, even if God did send him.
Good points. Emotion and the Spirit are often mixed up. Still, the question, “What would you do if God actually called someone to lead you?” suggests the distinction between emotion and the Spirit of God is known. There is a way to help distinguish - by study of one’s soul, as Christ suggested (Luke 17:20-21 etc)…asking myself, “What are my strengths & weaknesses? Am I entertaining incorrect, distorted thoughts (ie polarization/bi-polar extremes, blame game, emotional reasoning…)?

It’s good you bring this up because there are many false prophets - we need to remember. And the temptation is HUGE to have other gods before God - to cling to some substitute parental “authority” to compensate for our own insecurities.

In considering what you ask, I imagine if I were black back in the 1960’s - would I have followed Martin Luther King? Yes, in some things, no in other things. Similarly with Joseph Smith. Even prophets are fallible & cannot be trusted as if God.
Thinker - I've had experiences with the Spirit that were somewhat emotional. They are memorable and useful. I've also had much more profound experiences that involved illumination of my mind and transfer of eternal truth to my soul. Experiences that involve gaining unknown intelligence (revelations) are life changing / affirming. You'll know the difference if you've had them.

If I had a revelation that a man was to lead me I'd give it serious, weighty consideration. FWIW - I've never received a revelation about the need to follow any man that has claimed to be my leader (despite my asking for such).

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

Obrien wrote: January 22nd, 2023, 9:06 am
Thinker wrote: January 22nd, 2023, 8:39 amGood points. Emotion and the Spirit are often mixed up. Still, the question, “What would you do if God actually called someone to lead you?” suggests the distinction between emotion and the Spirit of God is known. There is a way to help distinguish - by study of one’s soul, as Christ suggested (Luke 17:20-21 etc)…asking myself, “What are my strengths & weaknesses? Am I entertaining incorrect, distorted thoughts (ie polarization/bi-polar extremes, blame game, emotional reasoning…)?

Thinker - I've had experiences with the Spirit that were somewhat emotional. They are memorable and useful. I've also had much more profound experiences that involved illumination of my mind and transfer of eternal truth to my soul. Experiences that involve gaining unknown intelligence (revelations) are life changing / affirming. You'll know the difference if you've had them.

If I had a revelation that a man was to lead me I'd give it serious, weighty consideration. FWIW - I've never received a revelation about the need to follow any man that has claimed to be my leader (despite my asking for such).
I think I know what you mean. I received clear words along with a spiritual feeling wake me up and say (at different times), “The vaccine is 1 of the poisons”… and… “broken arrow.” Those could not be my own emotional confirmation bias because I didn’t know much about the shots at the time, & I didn’t even know what broken arrow meant at the time.

However, I have experienced a mix of the Spirit and emotion which I’d probably experienced multiple times before but not until it was so extreme & kind of immoral/illogical did I recognize how I was confusing the 2. Amidst marital difficulties, an ex & I got in touch & I felt the Spirit, or what I thought was the Spirit. Now I realize I did feel the Spirit about loving someone so much. God is love. But that wasn’t a commanding manual attached telling me to leave my spouse & kids for my ex, though I initially believed that’s what me feeling the Spirit meant. God gave us brains to use - & we can also increase our emotional intelligence so we don’t confuse other implications or interpretations we add, for the Spirit.