What would you do if God actually called someone to lead you?

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: What would you do if God actually called someone to lead you?

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

DJB wrote: January 20th, 2023, 9:18 pm This is a great question, and one all must consider for who and what’s to come. I’m inclined to believe the answer lies with what President Nelson taught:
In coming days, it will not be possible to survive spiritually without the guiding, directing, comforting, and constant influence of the Holy Ghost.
That man speaks with a forked tongue.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

As fun as it would be to banter back and forth on this topic, I’ll just leave these words. Keeping in mind that in order to even be called a prophet, you must show the fruits of one. And it does help if you didn’t teach precepts that directly contradict the words of Christ in the scriptures… that would be helpful too. :)

39) And in this thing did the Peacemaker teach us all a great lesson. It is true that the Peacemaker does call out Prophets from among the people. But, let not any people begin in the belief that the calling out makes a man not a man.

40) The Prophet of the Peacemaker is given great gifts of the Holy Ghost. Yea, he may speak with the tongues of Angels and with them, and, if he has the gift of the seer, he may translate strange languages.

41) And behold, the Prophet leads and guides the people in the will and work of the Peacemaker also. But, know this all you who read these things and ponder them in your hearts, the Prophet is fallible.

42) He is not perfect, and his counsels are not perfect. And, though we count ourselves blessed because the Peacemaker does see fit to call and raise up unto us His Prophets, it is because He does this that we feel constrained to subject all things unto the confirmation of the Holy Ghost, howbeit even the words of a Prophet.

43) Behold, the Peacemaker has spoken it: Thou shalt make no other gods before me. Wherefore, make not gods of your Prophets! For they will be false gods and idols.

44) For, even if they be called of the Peacemaker and appointed, yea, even if they be anointed by the very finger of the Peacemaker, they are yet simple men and you will have made unto yourselves gods that shall fall.
Last edited by Reluctant Watchman on January 21st, 2023, 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: January 21st, 2023, 6:15 am
DJB wrote: January 20th, 2023, 9:18 pm This is a great question, and one all must consider for who and what’s to come. I’m inclined to believe the answer lies with what President Nelson taught:
In coming days, it will not be possible to survive spiritually without the guiding, directing, comforting, and constant influence of the Holy Ghost.

Can a false prophet speak true words. :?:

InfoWarrior82
Level 34 Illuminated
Location: "There are 15 on the earth today, you can trust them completely." -President Nelson (Jan 2022)

Post by InfoWarrior82 »

First you need to find if that person is actually sent from God.

People replace fruits for warm fuzzies and groupthink.
Last edited by InfoWarrior82 on January 21st, 2023, 6:34 am, edited 3 times in total.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

BeNotDeceived wrote: January 21st, 2023, 6:26 am
Reluctant Watchman wrote: January 21st, 2023, 6:15 am
Can a false prophet speak true words. :?:
Yes, of course they can. Satan may appear as an angel of light. He was one of the first to mix truth with lies in the garden with Eve. These men can quote scripture just like we all can.

And what disservice would it be for God to only allow the HG to witness to the truthfulness of a precept if it only came through a perfect vessel? None of us are perfect. If that were the case, then the HG would never witness of truth.

The challenge is in deciphering truth from error with the guidance of that most precious of gifts.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Rumpelstiltskin wrote: January 20th, 2023, 9:52 pm D&C 45:56 And at that day, when I shall come in my glory, shall the parable be fulfilled which I spake concerning the ten virgins.
57 For they that are wise and have received the truth, and have taken the Holy Spirit for their guide, and have not been deceived—verily I say unto you, they shall not be hewn down and cast into the fire, but shall abide the day.

It doesn't say anything about taking the prophet as your guide.
You beat me to it! Also, to the OP, not if, but when:

D&C 103:15 Behold, I say unto you, the redemption of Zion must needs come by power;
16 Therefore, I will raise up unto my people a man, who shall lead them like as Moses led the children of Israel.
17 For ye are the children of Israel, and of the seed of Abraham, and ye must needs be led out of bondage by power, and with a stretched-out arm.
18 And as your fathers were led at the first, even so shall the redemption of Zion be.
19 Therefore, let not your hearts faint, for I say not unto you as I said unto your fathers: Mine angel shall go up before you, but not my presence.
20 But I say unto you: Mine angels shall go up before you, and also my presence, and in time ye shall possess the goodly land.

nightlight
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by nightlight »

JLHPROF wrote: January 20th, 2023, 8:41 pm As a counter discussion to the other thread the fact exists that God does and has called men as prophets to lead groups of his people throughout every dispensation.

Many here reject the leaders of the Church.
Many here look for a Davidic Servant, a One Mighty and Strong, or a new dispensation.
Many here also state firmly that they don't have to follow ANY man.

So IF there were a new messenger called by the Lord and truly sent by Him is there any thing on earth that would lead you to follow the direction of that man?

(And don't cop out with a "by the spirit" response - there's no reason the Lord's Spirit would override agency to make someone absolutely opposed to following a man suddenly feel it was right by the spirit. God expects more faith than to overrule our firmly held paradigms. He's not going to make you believe.)
Lead me where?

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

InfoWarrior82 wrote: January 21st, 2023, 6:30 am
That is a given.

InfoWarrior82
Level 34 Illuminated
Location: "There are 15 on the earth today, you can trust them completely." -President Nelson (Jan 2022)

Post by InfoWarrior82 »

BeNotDeceived wrote: January 21st, 2023, 7:41 am
That is a given.
You're a numbers guy, how many members truly verify fruits of men who claim to be prophets? Or maybe they don't understand what is required?

Fred
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fred »

Does your church tell you that the leaders can not lead you astray?
Does your church donate to the democrat party to pay for abortions?
Does your church promote other ways of reducing pregnancy, like the clot shot?
Does your church recommend that you attempt to kill yourself by getting jabbed?
Does your church ignore the ramifications of Moroni's trumpet being knocked from his hands?
Does your church expect you to pay tithing before feeding your children?
Does your church accept queers as normal?
Does your church sponsor and participate in pride parades?
Is your church even more restrictive than government, regarding masks?
Are your church leaders too stupid to realize that a mask has no benefit for a healthy person?
Does your church require a shot to spread the word of God?
Does your church require local leaders to act against what they know to be true regarding the covid hoax?
Does your church change the words of scriptures to appease faggots and racists?
Does your church hire high priced attorneys to protect child molesters?

The list is actually far longer. I am tired of typing. If you answered yes to the above, you are following satan.

darknesstolight
captain of 1,000

Post by darknesstolight »

Fred wrote: January 21st, 2023, 10:58 am Does your church tell you that the leaders can not lead you astray?
Does your church ignore the ramifications of Moroni's trumpet being knocked from his hands?
Are your church leaders too stupid to realize that a mask has no benefit for a healthy person?
Does your church require local leaders to act against what they know to be true regarding the covid hoax?

The list is actually far longer. I am tired of typing. If you answered yes to the above, you are following satan.
I would not use the word "faggots" but otherwise good post.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

InfoWarrior82 wrote: January 21st, 2023, 9:41 am
BeNotDeceived wrote: January 21st, 2023, 7:41 am
That is a given.
You're a numbers guy, how many members truly verify fruits of men who claim to be prophets? Or maybe they don't understand what is required?
Truth before and during 1830 was abundant,

but there were fabrications made as per the Pious Fraud Theory.

As time went on the fraud increased as the piety decreased.

Some truth remains, but mostly just a bunch of fables.

Most members verify a few truths, but then disregard many facts.

It’s a mixed web we weave.

But there is a way out.

But there is also

Willingness Required

to seek after truth and have faith that you will discover more.

endlessQuestions
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by endlessQuestions »

JLHPROF wrote: January 20th, 2023, 9:08 pm
endlessQuestions wrote: January 20th, 2023, 8:45 pm What do you mean "cop out"?

How do you propose determining whether someone has been called of God to lead you, if not by the Spirit?
Redpilled Mormon wrote: January 20th, 2023, 8:53 pm 'By the Spirit' = cop out to you?

Seriously man, you need to re-evaluate. I'm as wretched a sinner as they get, and even I recognize how crazy wrong that paradigm is.
It's a cop out because it's not thought through. Jim Jones followers think they were led by the Spirit. Warren Jeff's followers think they have the Spirit. The Lafferty's thought the Spirit told them to kill. And the Church members you deride for following RMN are positive they're following the Spirit.

Saying "the Spirit" assumes that you actually know the Spirit when it speaks. History is replete with people claiming spiritual confirmation of many wrong things.
And since these spiritual confirmations tends to confirm already held beliefs I sincerely doubt many of the anti-man/anti-authority posters here would receive any confirmation to follow a man, even if God did send him.
I didn’t read your question thoroughly enough.

Sorry about that.

No, there’s nothing on earth that would convince me.

Spiritual confirmation necessary.

Your argument that “people are confused about what constitutes receiving spiritual communication, so we shouldn’t rely on spiritual communication” is deeply troubling in its implications. I hope you don’t subscribe to it in your personal life.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Fred wrote: January 21st, 2023, 10:58 am Does your church tell you that the leaders can not lead you astray?

No.

Durzan
The Lord's Trusty Maverick

Post by Durzan »

JLHPROF wrote: January 20th, 2023, 9:08 pm Saying "the Spirit" assumes that you actually know the Spirit when it speaks. History is replete with people claiming spiritual confirmation of many wrong things.
And since these spiritual confirmations tends to confirm already held beliefs I sincerely doubt many of the anti-man/anti-authority posters here would receive any confirmation to follow a man, even if God did send him.
This. 100% agree with this. There isn’t a reliable way to tell the difference between your own thoughts and feelings, and those of a foreign entity… much less between your own and The Spirit. Even then, subliminal messaging is a thing too.

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

JLHPROF wrote: January 20th, 2023, 8:41 pm As a counter discussion to the other thread the fact exists that God does and has called men as prophets to lead groups of his people throughout every dispensation.

Many here look for a Davidic Servant, a One Mighty and Strong, or a new dispensation.

So IF there were a new messenger called by the Lord and truly sent by Him is there any thing on earth that would lead you to follow the direction of that man?

(And don't cop out with a "by the spirit" response - there's no reason the Lord's Spirit would override agency to make someone absolutely opposed to following a man suddenly feel it was right by the spirit. God expects more faith than to overrule our firmly held paradigms. He's not going to make you believe.)
I am through following men because they say they have some calling to lead me.
Period.
If God wants to talk, I'd absolutely make myself available for the discussion.

Shawn Henry
captain of 1,000

Post by Shawn Henry »

JLHPROF wrote: January 20th, 2023, 8:41 pm So IF there were a new messenger called by the Lord and truly sent by Him is there any thing on earth that would lead you to follow the direction of that man?
The Lord never said follow. He said of Joseph to give heed to his words. The answer is easy though, by his fruits we will know him. If anyone comes along and restarts the Marvelous Work and a Wonder, I'm definitely going to read the new scriptures they claim to be the word of God and let the spirit guide me further.

darknesstolight
captain of 1,000

Post by darknesstolight »

The Father exist.

This means there must be an End Times Captain who will have a Standard worth following and an Ideal worth pledging one's allegiance too. A real being of flesh who can be handled and who you can speak to as one man speaks to another man. A Man like Yeshua the Messiah.

But what is the difference between being humble, being compelled to being humble, and stiff-neckedness?

How did those of ancient times discover the Savior?

captain (n.)
late 14c., capitayn, "a leader, chief, one who stands at the head of others," from Old French capitaine "captain, leader," from Late Latin capitaneus "chief," noun use of adjective capitaneus "prominent, chief," from Latin caput (genitive capitis) "head" (from PIE root *kaput- "head").

Last edited by darknesstolight on January 21st, 2023, 9:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Shawn Henry
captain of 1,000

Post by Shawn Henry »

marc wrote: January 21st, 2023, 6:55 am
Rumpelstiltskin wrote: January 20th, 2023, 9:52 pm D&C 45:56 And at that day, when I shall come in my glory, shall the parable be fulfilled which I spake concerning the ten virgins.
57 For they that are wise and have received the truth, and have taken the Holy Spirit for their guide, and have not been deceived—verily I say unto you, they shall not be hewn down and cast into the fire, but shall abide the day.

D&C 103:15 Behold, I say unto you, the redemption of Zion must needs come by power;
16 Therefore, I will raise up unto my people a man, who shall lead them like as Moses led the children of Israel.
17 For ye are the children of Israel, and of the seed of Abraham, and ye must needs be led out of bondage by power, and with a stretched-out arm.
18 And as your fathers were led at the first, even so shall the redemption of Zion be.
19 Therefore, let not your hearts faint, for I say not unto you as I said unto your fathers: Mine angel shall go up before you, but not my presence.
20 But I say unto you: Mine angels shall go up before you, and also my presence, and in time ye shall possess the goodly land.
Odd you quoted this but didn't highlight it!

"I will raise up unto my people a man, who shall lead them like as Moses led the children of Israel"

Shawn Henry
captain of 1,000

Post by Shawn Henry »

Taking the holy spirit as your guide will lead you to the man raised up to lead us as Moses. Why would God raise up a man to lead us and then not have us follow that man? Sure, the spirit will give some a different mission, but the vast majority will be led by this latter-day Moses.

For those who are only following the spirit, they are some of the same who didn't follow the spirit when it directed them to study the reasons in the scriptures why God wants us to look for his end-time servants.

JLHPROF
captain of 1,000

Post by JLHPROF »

Obrien wrote: January 21st, 2023, 6:48 pm

Period.
So based on the original post IF God actually sent someone to lead you, you would reject them because they are men?
Thank you for being blunt enough to admit that instead of pretending your amazing spirituality would change that view easily.

A few who feel as you do towards the leadership of mortal men seem to think the spirit would override that for the right Davidic Servant/OMAS/new prophet. I'm convinced they'd be more likely to have your response.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Shawn Henry wrote: January 21st, 2023, 8:19 pm
marc wrote: January 21st, 2023, 6:55 am

Odd you quoted this but didn't highlight it!

"I will raise up unto my people a man, who shall lead them like as Moses led the children of Israel"
Yeah. I've quoted this passage often here including highlighting that verse. I wanted to see who'd notice this time. You did.

endlessQuestions
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by endlessQuestions »

Durzan wrote: January 21st, 2023, 6:45 pm
JLHPROF wrote: January 20th, 2023, 9:08 pm Saying "the Spirit" assumes that you actually know the Spirit when it speaks. History is replete with people claiming spiritual confirmation of many wrong things.
This. 100% agree with this. There isn’t a reliable way to tell the difference between your own thoughts and feelings, and those of a foreign entity… much less between your own and The Spirit. Even then, subliminal messaging is a thing too.
After years of making a very similar argument, I now have to say I respectfully disagree.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Do people think the OMAS is going to teach some special magical doctrine other than the gospel of Jesus Christ? I honestly have to wonder if the OMAS would be perfectly fine with a person living the gospel as the Spirit directs them. This person (OMAS) wouldn’t be so prideful as to suggest any other path.
Last edited by Reluctant Watchman on January 21st, 2023, 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shawn Henry
captain of 1,000

Post by Shawn Henry »

Obrien wrote: January 21st, 2023, 6:48 pm

Period.
God has already had that talk in scripture. He has told us who will be coming and who will lead us. I highly doubt you will be available for a discussion you have already disregarded.