Joseph Smith missing for some time?

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Dusty Wanderer
captain of 1,000

Joseph Smith missing for some time?

Post by Dusty Wanderer »

I remember someone recounting a story of Joseph Smith in a thread months ago about Joseph Smith riding out of town alone (in the winter?) of some year and kind of disappearing for months. Can't remember if it was Kirtland? I know, it's really vague and he would lay low from the mobs sometimes, but this one was different. The church had to run without him for months, if not longer?

Anyway, I'm looking for sources, but need somewhere to start. I've spent hours searching the forum, but to no avail. If that jogs anyone's memory, your thoughts would be much appreciated.

creator
(of the Forum)

Re: Joseph Smith missing for some time?

Post by creator »

I hope someone knows the answer to this.

BuriedTartaria
Captain of Tartary

Post by BuriedTartaria »

Dusty Wanderer wrote: January 20th, 2023, 5:54 pm If that jogs anyone's memory, your thoughts would be much appreciated.

This thread is giving me MAJOR deja vu. I feel like I've read this exact same thread before with the same response from Creator

Dusty Wanderer
captain of 1,000

Post by Dusty Wanderer »

Okay, went back to the drawing board and pared down my search to the minimal keywords I was sure about: ‘kirtland’ + ‘night’ and went through result by result, and found it.

This is the post that piqued my interest:
Well this is background information involving what is recorded in Joseph Smiths written history that happened right after he reappeared having fled Kirtland on horseback on a January night.

When he reappeared he was now in the second half and many had gone and deserted or worse and many of the records were lost though he wanted them kept...

viewtopic.php?p=1185432#p1185432
It is by no other than A Global Faith himself from the infamous Railroad thread. Perhaps that’s why BuriedTartaria had DejaVu. I would send a PM to him about it, but sadly, I doubt I will get any response to help narrow down my search.

The underlined portion of the quote is obviously referring to a specific event/occurrence and what I’m most interested in learning about. Any guidance, like year time periods, etc, would be greatly appreciated. I’m assuming Joseph is “reappearing” back in Kirtland, but was gone long enough for all the things to happen that AGF lists out in his full post. And what do you think “now in the second half” means?

Why did Joseph flee on the January night? Where did he go? How long was he actually gone? These are the questions I have about it.

Peeps
captain of 1,000

Post by Peeps »

Dusty Wanderer wrote: January 21st, 2023, 12:15 am Okay, went back to the drawing board and pared down my search to the minimal keywords I was sure about: ‘kirtland’ + ‘night’ and went through result by result, and found it.

Well this is background information involving what is recorded in Joseph Smiths written history that happened right after he reappeared having fled Kirtland on horseback on a January night.

When he reappeared he was now in the second half and many had gone and deserted or worse and many of the records were lost though he wanted them kept...

It is by no other than A Global Faith himself from the infamous Railroad thread. Perhaps that’s why BuriedTartaria had DejaVu. I would send a PM to him about it, but sadly, I doubt I will get any response to help narrow down my search.

The underlined portion of the quote is obviously referring to a specific event/occurrence and what I’m most interested in learning about. Any guidance, like year time periods, etc, would be greatly appreciated. I’m assuming Joseph is “reappearing” back in Kirtland, but was gone long enough for all the things to happen that AGF lists out in his full post. And what do you think “now in the second half” means?

Why did Joseph flee on the January night? Where did he go? How long was he actually gone? These are the questions I have about it.
This sounds like Kirtland Safety Society "Anti-Bank" Shenanigans... From Wikipedia:

Smith transferred all of his holdings to Oliver Granger and J. Carter in June and resigned from the KSSABC in July. Parrish and Frederick G. Williams assumed management of the KSSABC until the institution closed its doors in November with about $100,000 in unresolved debt. Smith appointed Granger as his agent to clear up his Kirtland affairs, as Smith was named in seventeen lawsuits with claims totalling $30,206.44 over debts incurred in the failure of the KSSABC. According to LDS Church scholars, "Four of these suits were settled; three were voluntarily discontinued by the plaintiffs; and ten resulted in judgments against Joseph Smith and others. Of these ten judgments, three were satisfied in full, three were satisfied in part, and only four were wholly unsatisfied." The church also raised and put up $38,000 in bail money for Smith at the Geauga County Court which was to be held to satisfy any judgment that might be rendered against Smith.[9]

On July 28, Smith, Rigdon and Thomas B. Marsh headed to Upper Canada on church business and returned in late August. On September 27, Smith and Rigdon departed Kirtland for Missouri. They arrived about one month later, spent about two weeks in Missouri on Church business and returned to Kirtland on December 10. In their absence, in October, they were fined $1,000 for operating an illegal bank. According to Dale W. Adams, professor of agricultural economics at Ohio State University, other, larger quasi-banks had been operating in Ohio longer than KSSABC and were not being prosecuted.[1]

Among KSSABC's misfortunes, Smith also accused Parrish of embezzling $25,000 from KSSABC. In June Smith sought a search warrant to confirm the allegations against Parrish but was denied...

Shortly before his resignation, Smith also took out a $1,225 loan from a separate bank to help keep KSSABC solvent. Smith publicly denied claims that the KSSABC was created for the purpose of surreptitiously enriching the church leadership, but many disaffected members felt otherwise.

Regardless of the reasons for the KSSABC's failure, much of the blame was laid upon Smith. Half of The Quorum of Twelve Apostles accused Smith of improprieties in the banking scandal, and church Apostle Heber C. Kimball later said that the bank's failure was so shattering that afterwards "there were not twenty persons on earth that would declare that Joseph Smith was a prophet of God."[11] Woodruff records that Smith had an alleged revelation on the topic, but declined to share it, saying only that "if we would give heed to the commandments the Lord had given this morning all would be well." Then Woodruff expresses his own hopes that the KSSABC will "become the greatest of all institutions on EARTH."[12]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirtland_Safety_Society

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

A Global Faith wrote: September 26th, 2021, 12:57 am Well this is background information involving what is recorded in Joseph Smiths written history that happened right after he reappeared having fled Kirtland on horseback on a January night.

When he reappeared he was now in the second half and many had gone and deserted or worse and many of the records were lost though he wanted them kept. He restarted with a history narrated in first person which ended up in the pearl of great price mostly and used to be spoken of much by missionaries because to read how Joseph Smith explains it is that when he found out about a special record being protected by God (the Book of Mormon and possibly extra) was when he was wondering to God in faith one night about another matter. And while in the act of prayer his room starts to seem less dark then half a second later it is startlingly bright then like lighting a personage appears in the air before him shining whiter than might be earthly possible and fear shakes all his bones and back shock runs up his nerves but fear fades when immediately he is told to fear not. A message is relayed in great specificity saying many things some of which include instructions on accessing a set of old and holy records. Many scriptures are also quoted in very detailed wording including some reference to near and impending burning of the proud and the wicked and their branches and many others things were said. Now remember curses end up on the man that trusts in men and their fleshy arms and whose heart is distant from the Lord. He’ll end up like the shrubs in the desert not being able to see far and without way to get a good deal when the good rains come in. Shrubs stuck out dry rooted inhabiting the parched places in the wildernesses on salty ground full of desolation. HOWEVER blessed is the man that trusts and reserves his hope for his maker who is reaching those waiting in time. That man shall be like a tree planted by flowing waters full of life which spreads out its roots by a river unable to barely feel when heat comes into the land and whose branches pull moisture from thick roots to their tips where the leaves will remain green at all times and the tree won’t want neither will it need even in a full cycle of drought. Neither shall it cease from yielding fruit.

I think most people are familiar with many ideas written above but I need to add this into the railroad story just for historical context please do not remove this thank you

The time of the post is interesting, if nothing else.

Light Seeker
captain of 100

Post by Light Seeker »

BeNotDeceived wrote: January 21st, 2023, 5:54 am
A Global Faith wrote: September 26th, 2021, 12:57 am Well this is background information involving what is recorded in Joseph Smiths written history that happened right after he reappeared having fled Kirtland on horseback on a January night.

When he reappeared he was now in the second half and many had gone and deserted or worse and many of the records were lost though he wanted them kept. He restarted with a history narrated in first person which ended up in the pearl of great price mostly and used to be spoken of much by missionaries because to read how Joseph Smith explains it is that when he found out about a special record being protected by God (the Book of Mormon and possibly extra) was when he was wondering to God in faith one night about another matter. And while in the act of prayer his room starts to seem less dark then half a second later it is startlingly bright then like lighting a personage appears in the air before him shining whiter than might be earthly possible and fear shakes all his bones and back shock runs up his nerves but fear fades when immediately he is told to fear not. A message is relayed in great specificity saying many things some of which include instructions on accessing a set of old and holy records. Many scriptures are also quoted in very detailed wording including some reference to near and impending burning of the proud and the wicked and their branches and many others things were said. Now remember curses end up on the man that trusts in men and their fleshy arms and whose heart is distant from the Lord. He’ll end up like the shrubs in the desert not being able to see far and without way to get a good deal when the good rains come in. Shrubs stuck out dry rooted inhabiting the parched places in the wildernesses on salty ground full of desolation. HOWEVER blessed is the man that trusts and reserves his hope for his maker who is reaching those waiting in time. That man shall be like a tree planted by flowing waters full of life which spreads out its roots by a river unable to barely feel when heat comes into the land and whose branches pull moisture from thick roots to their tips where the leaves will remain green at all times and the tree won’t want neither will it need even in a full cycle of drought. Neither shall it cease from yielding fruit.

I think most people are familiar with many ideas written above but I need to add this into the railroad story just for historical context please do not remove this thank you

How so ?

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Light Seeker wrote: January 21st, 2023, 8:18 am

How so ?
57 minutes after the hour.

darknesstolight
captain of 1,000

Post by darknesstolight »

Robert Sinclair wrote: July 12th, 2014, 5:59 pm I am getting old and have listened to the words of Jesus Christ for years and years and did a book report on all the things he said to do, and all the ways he said to be like, and all the things he said to know from Matthew Mark Luke John and 3rd Nephi and the D&C, many, many, years ago.

I had purchased cassette tapes as well years ago and listened to them while I slept and while I drove and even while I showered at times. I had a xerox enlarging copy machine and blew up in large print the special words of Christ that I loved and posted them on the fridge and down the halls and on all the walls and doors of my home at one time.

I have read the Old Testament deeply that I might understand the law of Moses and the writings of the prophets. I have also read dozens and dozens of other Scriptures like the books of Enoch and the Koran and Buddhists and Hindu texts.

I have very little excuse to go against his words as they are imprinted on my heart and in my mind to where if I was to stand before him having transgressed his laws further I might as well drink myself into oblivion because I know my fate for so doing.

Jesus Christ would not be able to say to the father, forgive him father for he knows not that which he does.

I do not have that luxury many innocent sheep may have at that day.

I know of many people's shortcomings because I was once as they tossed to and fro by the teachings of men, which in many instances go counter to that which he has said to do, and to be like and to know.

It is easy to succor those who see not, nor understand at times because I was once as them, unknowingly going against his words.

That is why many times I will say, to do a book report on the words of Jesus Christ of every thing he has said to do, be and know. This will surely help the few that do this.

In order to understand the beast that was, and yet is not for the saints that get their names written in the book of life, and yet still is for so many, one must understand ignorance of his words.

If you do not diligently know every single thing that Jesus Christ has said to do and how to be like and what you should know, not just in his testaments from the apostles but also "all" the prophets that have stood in his council and returned to testify to his words given them, then you are still ignorant of "all" of his words and the beast of ignorance may still have power over you, if not pure in heart, or have been changed to have this pure heart, as the people known, as those who were changed by God himself, and would no longer harm others, but would suffer death in the most aggravating and distressing manner that could be inflicted upon them before they would ever transgress the law.

One can see many images of feathered serpents upon the temples of Central America to manifest the saying of Jesus Christ, be ye therefore wise as serpents but harmless as doves.

And now many of the house of Ephraim are as doves as Latter Day Saints but are not so wise as to understand and know more perfectly his celestial laws, therefore Jesus Christ said in the Stick of Ephraim or Book of Commandments or D&C to teach more perfectly and have experience, and know more perfectly concerning their duty, and the things I require at their hands.

But again it has been taken lightly and even rejected outright, as is in his parables of the invited guests.

But it is written at some point Ephraim shall say, What have I to do anymore with idols? I have heard him and shall observe him, I will be like a green fir tree forever more, and from me shall the fruits of the Lord be found equal and delightful unto the Lord.

So I wait but also cry out and howl as is written in the book of Joel to do, and sound the alarm in Zion hopeful that the old men and ministers, the vinedressers will give ear and consider it.

Hath this been in your days?

And return to keep "all" the commandments of God that he has given to his beloved son Jesus Christ to give to us.

So as it is written I see to be glad and full of hope for that which is written is soon to be.

I only hope to be an instrument in his hands to bring forth fruit meet for repentance establishing peace in the land through laboring to keep his words and repeat them, over and over, and over until heard.

May I be of use to Jesus Christ and to our father in heaven and to you is my desire, and thank you all for listening to my howling even if it seems bothersome at times, I do mean well for you all:)♡

And I do have my own house, and will possibly have in a few years homes for others, and I am not meek and humble as yet, being the mean spirited old man that I am at times, just ask my wife, but she who is more giving than me, along with my children keep me in line, to look to the day I may fast and pray mightily to get some of the spirits that have deeply entered in, that come not out, as Jesus Christ has said, except by mighty prayer and fasting.

Some people understand not my desire as is manifested by their posts, but I worry not as I know my intention for them is good notwithstanding their error in judgment against me.

I seek to lift my brothers who have stumbled at the law and not kick them down nor in any way harm them.

It is the words of the Lord that I repeat of Ephraim, but for those who understand not I understand:)♡
(Emphasis added. One of my favorite scriptures of all time.)

Hosea 14:8-9
8 Ephraim shall say, What have I to do any more with idols? I have heard him, and observed him: I am like a green fir tree. From me is thy fruit found.

9 Who is wise, and he shall understand these things? prudent, and he shall know them? for the ways of the LORD are right, and the just shall walk in them: but the transgressors shall fall therein.

investigator
captain of 100

Post by investigator »

History of the Church, Vol VI, Ch XXIX wrote:
Saturday, June 11, 1844.--About 9 p. m. Hyrum came out of the Mansion and gave his hand to Reynolds Cahoon, at the same time saying, "A company of men are seeking to kill my brother Joseph, and the Lord has warned him to flee to the Rocky Mountains to save his life. Goodbye, Brother Cahoon, we shall see you again." In a few minutes afterwards Joseph came from his family. His tears were flowing fast. Be held a handkerchief to his face, and followed after Brother Hyrum without uttering a word.
Sunday, 23.--At daybreak arrived on the Iowa side of the river. Sent Orrin P. Rockwell back to Nauvoo with instructions to return the next night with horses for Joseph and Hyrum, pass them over the river in the night secretly, and be ready to start for the Great Basin in the Rocky Mountains.
At 1 p. m. Emma sent over Orrin P. Rockwell, requesting him to entreat of Joseph to come back Reynolds Cahoon accompanied him with a letter which Emma had written to the same effect, and she insisted that Cahoon should persuade Joseph to come back and give himself up. When they went over they found Joseph, Hyrum and Willard in a room by themselves, having flour and other provisions on he floor ready for packing.

Reynolds Cahoon informed Joseph what the troops intended to do, and urged upon him to give himself up inasmuch as the Governor had pledged his faith and the faith of the state to protect him while he underwent a legal and fair trial. Reynolds Cahoon, Lorenzo D. Wasson and Hiram Kimball accused Joseph of cowardice for wishing to leave the people, adding that their property would be destroyed, and they left without house or home. Like the fable, when the wolves came the shepherd ran from the flock, and left the sheep to be devoured. To which Joseph replied, "If my life is of no value to my friends it is of none to myself."

Joseph said to Rockwell, "What shall I do?" Rockwell replied, "You are the oldest and ought to know best; and as you make your bed, I will lie with you." Joseph then turned to Hyrum, who was talking with Cahoon, and said, "Brother Hyrum, you are the oldest, what shall we do?" Hyrum said, "Let us go back and give ourselves up, and see the thing out." After studying a few moments, Joseph said, "If you go back I will go with you, but we shall be butchered." Hyrum said, "No, no; let us go back and put our trust in God, and we shall not be harmed. The Lord is in it. If we live or have to die, we will be reconciled to our fate."

After a short pause, Joseph told Cahoon to request Captain Daniel C. Davis to have his boat ready at half-past five to cross them over the river.
Last edited by investigator on January 21st, 2023, 9:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

endlessQuestions
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by endlessQuestions »

Dusty Wanderer wrote: January 21st, 2023, 12:15 am Okay, went back to the drawing board and pared down my search to the minimal keywords I was sure about: ‘kirtland’ + ‘night’ and went through result by result, and found it.

The “second half” stuff sounds like Watcher, who teaches a “two Joseph’s” narrative.

Dusty Wanderer
captain of 1,000

Post by Dusty Wanderer »

investigator wrote: January 21st, 2023, 9:09 am
History of the Church, Vol VI, Ch XXIX wrote:
Saturday, June 11, 1844.--About 9 p. m. Hyrum came out of the Mansion and gave his hand to Reynolds Cahoon, at the same time saying, "A company of men are seeking to kill my brother Joseph, and the Lord has warned him to flee to the Rocky Mountains to save his life. Goodbye, Brother Cahoon, we shall see you again." In a few minutes afterwards Joseph came from his family. His tears were flowing fast. Be held a handkerchief to his face, and followed after Brother Hyrum without uttering a word.
Sunday, 23.--At daybreak arrived on the Iowa side of the river. Sent Orrin P. Rockwell back to Nauvoo with instructions to return the next night with horses for Joseph and Hyrum, pass them over the river in the night secretly, and be ready to start for the Great Basin in the Rocky Mountains.
At 1 p. m. Emma sent over Orrin P. Rockwell, requesting him to entreat of Joseph to come back Reynolds Cahoon accompanied him with a letter which Emma had written to the same effect, and she insisted that Cahoon should persuade Joseph to come back and give himself up. When they went over they found Joseph, Hyrum and Willard in a room by themselves, having flour and other provisions on he floor ready for packing.

Reynolds Cahoon informed Joseph what the troops intended to do, and urged upon him to give himself up inasmuch as the Governor had pledged his faith and the faith of the state to protect him while he underwent a legal and fair trial. Reynolds Cahoon, Lorenzo D. Wasson and Hiram Kimball accused Joseph of cowardice for wishing to leave the people, adding that their property would be destroyed, and they left without house or home. Like the fable, when the wolves came the shepherd ran from the flock, and left the sheep to be devoured. To which Joseph replied, "If my life is of no value to my friends it is of none to myself."

Joseph said to Rockwell, "What shall I do?" Rockwell replied, "You are the oldest and ought to know best; and as you make your bed, I will lie with you." Joseph then turned to Hyrum, who was talking with Cahoon, and said, "Brother Hyrum, you are the oldest, what shall we do?" Hyrum said, "Let us go back and give ourselves up, and see the thing out." After studying a few moments, Joseph said, "If you go back I will go with you, but we shall be butchered." Hyrum said, "No, no; let us go back and put our trust in God, and we shall not be harmed. The Lord is in it. If we live or have to die, we will be reconciled to our fate."

After a short pause, Joseph told Cahoon to request Captain Daniel C. Davis to have his boat ready at half-past five to cross them over the river.
Yes, I've always been moved by that account, but you highlighted a few things that hadn't struck me before.

Joseph's departure and return in Kirtland could have been about fleeing justice or the mobs. The time period of this is like 8 years too far removed from the OP, right. So, are you alleging a connection here or just highlighting a possible paradigm? Thanks.

Dusty Wanderer
captain of 1,000

Post by Dusty Wanderer »

Peeps wrote: January 21st, 2023, 12:54 am

This sounds like Kirtland Safety Society "Anti-Bank" Shenanigans... From Wikipedia:

Smith transferred all of his holdings to Oliver Granger and J. Carter in June and resigned from the KSSABC in July. Parrish and Frederick G. Williams assumed management of the KSSABC until the institution closed its doors in November with about $100,000 in unresolved debt. Smith appointed Granger as his agent to clear up his Kirtland affairs, as Smith was named in seventeen lawsuits with claims totalling $30,206.44 over debts incurred in the failure of the KSSABC. According to LDS Church scholars, "Four of these suits were settled; three were voluntarily discontinued by the plaintiffs; and ten resulted in judgments against Joseph Smith and others. Of these ten judgments, three were satisfied in full, three were satisfied in part, and only four were wholly unsatisfied." The church also raised and put up $38,000 in bail money for Smith at the Geauga County Court which was to be held to satisfy any judgment that might be rendered against Smith.[9]

On July 28, Smith, Rigdon and Thomas B. Marsh headed to Upper Canada on church business and returned in late August. On September 27, Smith and Rigdon departed Kirtland for Missouri. They arrived about one month later, spent about two weeks in Missouri on Church business and returned to Kirtland on December 10. In their absence, in October, they were fined $1,000 for operating an illegal bank. According to Dale W. Adams, professor of agricultural economics at Ohio State University, other, larger quasi-banks had been operating in Ohio longer than KSSABC and were not being prosecuted.[1]

Among KSSABC's misfortunes, Smith also accused Parrish of embezzling $25,000 from KSSABC. In June Smith sought a search warrant to confirm the allegations against Parrish but was denied...

Shortly before his resignation, Smith also took out a $1,225 loan from a separate bank to help keep KSSABC solvent. Smith publicly denied claims that the KSSABC was created for the purpose of surreptitiously enriching the church leadership, but many disaffected members felt otherwise.

Regardless of the reasons for the KSSABC's failure, much of the blame was laid upon Smith. Half of The Quorum of Twelve Apostles accused Smith of improprieties in the banking scandal, and church Apostle Heber C. Kimball later said that the bank's failure was so shattering that afterwards "there were not twenty persons on earth that would declare that Joseph Smith was a prophet of God."[11] Woodruff records that Smith had an alleged revelation on the topic, but declined to share it, saying only that "if we would give heed to the commandments the Lord had given this morning all would be well." Then Woodruff expresses his own hopes that the KSSABC will "become the greatest of all institutions on EARTH."[12]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirtland_Safety_Society
Thanks, Peeps. I'm digging into the timeline here more closely.

Dusty Wanderer
captain of 1,000

Post by Dusty Wanderer »

endlessQuestions wrote: January 21st, 2023, 9:15 am

The “second half” stuff sounds like Watcher, who teaches a “two Joseph’s” narrative.
Hmm, that's a curious observation. I originally took it as meaning Joseph returned for his second act, as if it were going to be different from the first act in many ways. Or perhaps it marked the middle the timeline of his prophetic ministry? I need to look into it more.

Dusty Wanderer
captain of 1,000

Post by Dusty Wanderer »

creator wrote: January 20th, 2023, 8:00 pm I hope someone knows the answer to this.
I have more information on this and will post below.

Dusty Wanderer
captain of 1,000

Post by Dusty Wanderer »

Alright, I've got some more information, some possible answers, and some things I found interesting.

A timeline for a little context:
1830, Apr 6 — church was organized
1831, Feb — Joseph and Emma move to Kirtland
1837, Jul 26 — Joseph, Hyrum, Rigdon, D. Patten, and T. Marsh leave Kirtland, heading for Canada
1837, Sep — Joseph return to dissent, requests for a return to the original restored gospel
1837, Oct — Joseph and Rigdon go to Far West
1837, Dec (late) — Joseph is back in Kirtland, excommunicates 28 more original saints, totaling over 40 since Sep.
1838, Jan 12 — Joseph, Emma, and Rigdon leave in the night, destined for Far West
1838, Jan 18 — Kirtland printing press burned down, torched by unknown arsonist
1844, Jun 10 — Nauvoo printing press burned down
1844, Jun 22 — Joseph is on the other side of the Mississippi with intent to flee to Utah
1844, Jun 27 — Joseph murdered at Carthage
---

Follow-ups to the OP:
1. Joseph’s departure in the night that AGF was referring to that resulted in his return to dissent and disorder could’ve been anyone or collectively all of the 1837 occurrences above. I think I’m satisfied that this is the time period he was drawing on and where I’ve been spending some time.

2. AGF also called this point forward the “second half”. Looking at the timeline from when the church was organized to Joseph’s murder, it’s pretty apparent that his departures and returns in 1837 would mark the midpoint of his ministry. I’m satisfied that this is probably what he meant with “second half”.

A couple things I thought were interesting during my research:
1. As this new act or “second half” commences with the purging of the much of the leadership from the “old standard” saints, as they called themselves, a new test for determining a true saint from a false one was adopted, based on one’s loyalty to Joseph. As callings were issued to replace these vacant positions, the precluding qualification that the brethren be “a friend of Joseph” was instituted.

2. One of the allegations heaved at Joseph during the whole battle w/ Cowdery, D. Whitmer, FG. Williams, and others was that he left “his calling to make money” and “counterfeiting”. At first I brushed this off as a remnant of the Safety Society fiasco, but then noticed the coincidence of the printing presses in both Kirtland and Nauvoo having been burned-down before or as Joseph was relocating. I did some web searches and there’s quite a bit of stuff out there related to "Mormons and counterfeiting" from those same years as the above timeline. I was floored. I haven’t dug into that yet, but figured someone on here may know something about it.

3. When Joseph arrived in Far West with Emma, it was a thriving city with 100+ buildings, a temple site, and around 2,000 farms. They had been following Joseph’s and FG. William’s plans for the City of Zion. Within a year of his arrival, it would all be lost. I’m aware of the printing press that the mob destroyed in Missouri in 1833, but is anyone aware of a press in Far West, MO in 1838, and what its condition was when the saints relocated to Nauvoo in 1839?
Last edited by Dusty Wanderer on January 27th, 2023, 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Cruiserdude »

darknesstolight wrote: January 21st, 2023, 8:43 am
Robert Sinclair wrote: July 12th, 2014, 5:59 pm I am getting old and have listened to the words of Jesus Christ for years and years and did a book report on all the things he said to do, and all the ways he said to be like, and all the things he said to know from Matthew Mark Luke John and 3rd Nephi and the D&C, many, many, years ago.

I had purchased cassette tapes as well years ago and listened to them while I slept and while I drove and even while I showered at times. I had a xerox enlarging copy machine and blew up in large print the special words of Christ that I loved and posted them on the fridge and down the halls and on all the walls and doors of my home at one time.

I have read the Old Testament deeply that I might understand the law of Moses and the writings of the prophets. I have also read dozens and dozens of other Scriptures like the books of Enoch and the Koran and Buddhists and Hindu texts.

I have very little excuse to go against his words as they are imprinted on my heart and in my mind to where if I was to stand before him having transgressed his laws further I might as well drink myself into oblivion because I know my fate for so doing.

Jesus Christ would not be able to say to the father, forgive him father for he knows not that which he does.

I do not have that luxury many innocent sheep may have at that day.

I know of many people's shortcomings because I was once as they tossed to and fro by the teachings of men, which in many instances go counter to that which he has said to do, and to be like and to know.

It is easy to succor those who see not, nor understand at times because I was once as them, unknowingly going against his words.

That is why many times I will say, to do a book report on the words of Jesus Christ of every thing he has said to do, be and know. This will surely help the few that do this.

In order to understand the beast that was, and yet is not for the saints that get their names written in the book of life, and yet still is for so many, one must understand ignorance of his words.

If you do not diligently know every single thing that Jesus Christ has said to do and how to be like and what you should know, not just in his testaments from the apostles but also "all" the prophets that have stood in his council and returned to testify to his words given them, then you are still ignorant of "all" of his words and the beast of ignorance may still have power over you, if not pure in heart, or have been changed to have this pure heart, as the people known, as those who were changed by God himself, and would no longer harm others, but would suffer death in the most aggravating and distressing manner that could be inflicted upon them before they would ever transgress the law.

One can see many images of feathered serpents upon the temples of Central America to manifest the saying of Jesus Christ, be ye therefore wise as serpents but harmless as doves.

And now many of the house of Ephraim are as doves as Latter Day Saints but are not so wise as to understand and know more perfectly his celestial laws, therefore Jesus Christ said in the Stick of Ephraim or Book of Commandments or D&C to teach more perfectly and have experience, and know more perfectly concerning their duty, and the things I require at their hands.

But again it has been taken lightly and even rejected outright, as is in his parables of the invited guests.

But it is written at some point Ephraim shall say, What have I to do anymore with idols? I have heard him and shall observe him, I will be like a green fir tree forever more, and from me shall the fruits of the Lord be found equal and delightful unto the Lord.

So I wait but also cry out and howl as is written in the book of Joel to do, and sound the alarm in Zion hopeful that the old men and ministers, the vinedressers will give ear and consider it.

Hath this been in your days?

And return to keep "all" the commandments of God that he has given to his beloved son Jesus Christ to give to us.

So as it is written I see to be glad and full of hope for that which is written is soon to be.

I only hope to be an instrument in his hands to bring forth fruit meet for repentance establishing peace in the land through laboring to keep his words and repeat them, over and over, and over until heard.

May I be of use to Jesus Christ and to our father in heaven and to you is my desire, and thank you all for listening to my howling even if it seems bothersome at times, I do mean well for you all:)♡

And I do have my own house, and will possibly have in a few years homes for others, and I am not meek and humble as yet, being the mean spirited old man that I am at times, just ask my wife, but she who is more giving than me, along with my children keep me in line, to look to the day I may fast and pray mightily to get some of the spirits that have deeply entered in, that come not out, as Jesus Christ has said, except by mighty prayer and fasting.

Some people understand not my desire as is manifested by their posts, but I worry not as I know my intention for them is good notwithstanding their error in judgment against me.

I seek to lift my brothers who have stumbled at the law and not kick them down nor in any way harm them.

It is the words of the Lord that I repeat of Ephraim, but for those who understand not I understand:)♡
(Emphasis added. One of my favorite scriptures of all time.)

Hosea 14:8-9
8 Ephraim shall say, What have I to do any more with idols? I have heard him, and observed him: I am like a green fir tree. From me is thy fruit found.

9 Who is wise, and he shall understand these things? prudent, and he shall know them? for the ways of the LORD are right, and the just shall walk in them: but the transgressors shall fall therein.

A true messenger. I wish their was someway to get a hold of him. His message is true and beautiful. I feel like I know him somehow.

Dusty Wanderer
captain of 1,000

Post by Dusty Wanderer »

UPDATES to the timeline from the above post:

1. The Kirtland printing press had been legally seized by the county sheriff before it was burned down by an unknown arsonist just days later. (cf. JSP transcript, note 20)

2. There was at least one press in Far West that Cowdery had shipped there from Kirtland in 1837. (There were two presses in Kirtland when one was burned down and destroyed.)

3. A press (don't know if there were others) was buried, along with type, etc, in a yard in Far West. It stayed there until the saints fled for Nauvoo where it was eventually sent for and recovered. (cf. JSP transcript, note 2)

General update:
1. There are 53 results for "counterfeit" on JSP, so I'm currently going through those.

Really curious if anyone has anything else about the printing press(es) in Far West or counterfeiting allegations in general? (cf. #2 and #3, "A couple things I thought were interesting during my research", in my last post above.)

Thanks.

endlessQuestions
Level 34 Illuminated

Well, I thought I had heard it all, DW, but this is new to me.

Really interesting stuff.

You're probably already aware of these results:

https://www.google.com/search?q=joseph+ ... e&ie=UTF-8

endlessQuestions
Level 34 Illuminated

This one seems promising:

Jan 6, 2022 — Joseph Smith's family had been engaged in counterfeiting ('passing' the bills) since at least the 1810s; Joseph Smith Jr. since the 1820s; while .

https://www.andreanolen.com/home/the-mo ... mon-youngs

Looks like there are whole books on the topic:

Mormon involvement in organized crime is a topic that is rarely discussed in legacy media, so I will provide some history to this phenomenon. Two excellent books on the subject are Secret Combinations: Evidence of Early Mormon Counterfeiting 1800-1847, by Kathleen Kimball Melonakos and A Nation of Counterfeiters: Capitalists, Con Men, and the Making of the United States by Stephen Mihm.

endlessQuestions
Level 34 Illuminated

A specific claim:

“They would go some of them to distant banks in the United States, where they had an understanding, and purchase at ten dollers per hundred such quanitites of bank-bills of that bank, competely engraved, but unsigned, as they might want for circulation. These were taken home, and of course the president and cashier’s names signed onto them, in the most correct style…”

endlessQuestions
Level 34 Illuminated

Just one more, and I'll leave it for you. This specifically mentions Joseph fleeing:

"Chester is only 8 miles from Kirtland, Ohio, epicenter of the infamous 1837 Mormon counterfeiting scandal surrounding the ‘Kirtland Saftey Society’ I described above. When this scandal erupted in November the Mormons— including Joseph Smith Jr.— were run out of town.

Louisa Miner and Stephen Young had their first child, Danl [he used “Daniel” after 1870], on August 12th, 1838 in Stephenson County, Illinois. Therefore, Louisa and Stephen left Ohio between 1835-38; a window which includes the time Joseph Smith Jr. fled, though the Stephen Youngs went to Illinois, rather than to Missouri with “the saints”. Just one year later predatory actions by the Mormon community would lead to their being driven out of Missouri to Illinois."

and

"Counterfeiting networks were inter-generational, extended-family affairs at this time; networks expanded via marrying daughters to other crime families or sons/cousins/uncles moving westward. Counterfeiters would settle in places which supported their trade: too wild for law enforcement; yet near economically developed regions; and close to borders where law enforcement jurisdiction was ‘fuzzy’."

Good luck with your research!

EDIT: Check out that picture of Brigham! What do you see?

Dusty Wanderer
captain of 1,000

Post by Dusty Wanderer »

endlessQuestions wrote: January 27th, 2023, 11:47 am Well, I thought I had heard it all, DW, but this is new to me.

Really interesting stuff.

You're probably already aware of these results:

https://www.google.com/search?q=joseph+ ... e&ie=UTF-8
I find it remarkable that these things are residuals from that AGF/the railroad thread. This rabbit hole I started going down was simply from a clue he dropped on that thread as a cool story line and imagery, which piqued my curiosity (so seemingly random):

AGF:
"Well this is background information involving what is recorded in Joseph Smiths written history that happened right after he reappeared having fled Kirtland on horseback on a January night.

When he reappeared he was now in the second half and many had gone and deserted or worse and many of the records were lost though he wanted them kept..."

It's a shame we don't have access to him for follow-up questions. I suspect he may have been a treasure-trove of information.
Last edited by Dusty Wanderer on January 27th, 2023, 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dusty Wanderer
captain of 1,000

Post by Dusty Wanderer »

endlessQuestions wrote: January 27th, 2023, 11:55 am A specific claim:

“They would go some of them to distant banks in the United States, where they had an understanding, and purchase at ten dollers per hundred such quanitites of bank-bills of that bank, competely engraved, but unsigned, as they might want for circulation. These were taken home, and of course the president and cashier’s names signed onto them, in the most correct style…”
Have you noticed that the church's early settlements were on county or state lines or boundary lands? Perhaps this has more to do with accessibility or where everyone else was at, but I thought it noteworthy.

Dusty Wanderer
captain of 1,000

Post by Dusty Wanderer »

endlessQuestions wrote: January 27th, 2023, 11:59 am Just one more, and I'll leave it for you. This specifically mentions Joseph fleeing:

"Chester is only 8 miles from Kirtland, Ohio, epicenter of the infamous 1837 Mormon counterfeiting scandal surrounding the ‘Kirtland Saftey Society’ I described above. When this scandal erupted in November the Mormons— including Joseph Smith Jr.— were run out of town.

Louisa Miner and Stephen Young had their first child, Danl [he used “Daniel” after 1870], on August 12th, 1838 in Stephenson County, Illinois. Therefore, Louisa and Stephen left Ohio between 1835-38; a window which includes the time Joseph Smith Jr. fled, though the Stephen Youngs went to Illinois, rather than to Missouri with “the saints”. Just one year later predatory actions by the Mormon community would lead to their being driven out of Missouri to Illinois."

and

"Counterfeiting networks were inter-generational, extended-family affairs at this time; networks expanded via marrying daughters to other crime families or sons/cousins/uncles moving westward. Counterfeiters would settle in places which supported their trade: too wild for law enforcement; yet near economically developed regions; and close to borders where law enforcement jurisdiction was ‘fuzzy’."

Good luck with your research!

EDIT: Check out that picture of Brigham! What do you see?
An interesting thing I saw was accusations of Oliver C's involvement in the counterfeiting. But in 1845, long after he's been gone and a year after Joseph's murder, charges continue to follow Brigham, among others both in and kicked-out of the church. What a web to untangle, if that's even possible.

RE: BY picture; I see the masonic compass and square centered neatly over his heart.