LDS Church Changes Pres Benson's Talk

For discussion of secret combinations (political, economic, spiritual, religious, etc.) (Ether 8:18-25.)
Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: LDS Church Changes Pres Benson's Talk

Post by Niemand »

Bbhector wrote: January 26th, 2023, 6:50 am Are the changes made so communist countries will invite missionaries in. I can’t think of any way to justify changing this great prophets talk.
That was happening even in the eighties. East Germany got a temple before the Wall fell. There is also a temple in Hong Kong which falls more and more under the sway of the CCP and Beijing by the day. There are certainly some members in Vietnam, and Mainland China, not to mention formerly Communist countries such as Russia and the Czech Republic.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

I keep having phantom thoughts about that thread detailing the Ultra-Conservative purge of the ‘90s in the LDS church.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: January 26th, 2023, 7:28 am I keep having phantom thoughts about that thread detailing the Ultra-Conservative purge of the ‘90s in the LDS church.
Not just an ultra-conservative purge either. Many of the September Six were feminists and thrown out for having beliefs that would be mainstream today.

The key message of the LDS seems to be pay and obey.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

Niemand wrote: January 26th, 2023, 7:31 am
Reluctant Watchman wrote: January 26th, 2023, 7:28 am I keep having phantom thoughts about that thread detailing the Ultra-Conservative purge of the ‘90s in the LDS church.
Not just an ultra-conservative purge either. Many of the September Six were feminists and thrown out for having beliefs that would be mainstream today.

I would agree though that the church has treated women like chattel in the past.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: January 26th, 2023, 7:53 am

I would agree though that the church has treated women like chattel in the past.
I think it's about getting the balance right. Few sane people in the west want an Islamic State/Taliban approach to women, where women can be assaulted or abused at will by men, or the nutty ultra-feminist scenario either (which we frequently discuss on here.)

Feminism is currently tied up (by design?) in a struggle between the so called TERFs who reject transgenderism and the pro-trans crowd. In a way I'm not unhappy since it keeps their attention off me.

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

And it was the same Apostle and some of the same 70s involved in both of those.

That was somewhat covered in this recent Gospel Tangents interview with Paul Toscano.

Vernet
captain of 10

Post by Vernet »

investigator wrote: January 18th, 2023, 3:08 pm https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... s?lang=eng

I was doing some research on the great conspiracy and was told that President Benson gave a talk on it in the 1972 April Conference (see link above) as I was told it contained statements against communism. When I searched the text of the talk I found no mention of communism. I then listened to the talk as I followed along with the text. It was then that I discovered that the text of the talk had been completely changed deleting many references to communism and many other very important things and references to books Pres Benson recommended reading. I have copied the relevant portions of the text and underlined the words that were added and put in red the words that were taken out. The part where the significant changes are made starts at 10:12 of the video. I guess he died before they had him redo the video of his talk.. Do you think this is an honest retelling of history?
Another guideline given by the First Presidency was “to support good and conscientious candidates, of either party, who are aware of the great dangers” facing the free world. inherent in communism. The position of this church on the subject of communism has never changed. We consider it the greatest satanical threat to the peace prosperity and spread of God's work among man that exists on the face of the earth. Deseret News, November 2, 1964.)

Fortunately we have materials to help us face these threatening dangers this great threat such as President McKay's booklet of the statements on communism and the constitution of the United States, Cleon Skousen's book The Naked Communist which we are advised to read. in the writings of President David O. McKay and other church leaders. Some other fine sources books by LDS authors attempting to awaken and inform us of our duty are: Prophets, Principles, and National Survival (Jerreld L. Newquist), Many Are Called But Few Are Chosen (H. Verlan Andersen), and The Elders of Israel and the Constitution (Jerome Horowitz).

But the greatest handbook for freedom in this fight against communism and other evils is the Book of Mormon.
This leads me to the second great civic standard for the Saints. For in addition to our inspired Constitution, we have the scriptures.

Joseph Smith said that the Book of Mormon was the “keystone of our religion” and the “most correct” book on earth. (DHC, vol. 6, p. 56.) This most correct book on earth states that the downfall of two great American civilizations came as a result of secret conspiracies whose desire was to overthrow the freedom of the people. “And they have caused the destruction of this people of whom I am now speaking,” says Moroni, “and also the destruction of the people of Nephi.” (Ether 8:21.)

Now undoubtedly Moroni could have pointed out many factors that led to the destruction of the people, but notice how he singled out the secret combinations, just as the Church today could point out many threats to peace, prosperity, and the spread of God’s work, but it has singled out the greatest threat as the godless conspiracy. There is no conspiracy theory in the Book of Mormon—it is a conspiracy fact. And along this line I would highly recommend to you an new book entitled None Dare Call it Conspiracy by Gary Allen.
Then Moroni speaks to us in this day and says, “Wherefore, the Lord commandeth you, when ye shall see these things come among you that ye shall awake to a sense of your awful situation, because of this secret combination which shall be among you. …” (Ether 8:24.)

The Book of Mormon further warns that “whatsoever nation shall uphold such secret combinations, to get power and gain, until they shall spread over the nation, behold they shall be destroyed. …” (Ether 8:22.) [By the way, after the word destroyed you hear a clap of thunder on the video audio]

This scripture should alert us to what is ahead unless we repent, because there is no question but that our Nation is increasingly upholding the communist conspiracy today. as people of the free world, we are increasingly upholding many of the evils of the adversary today. By court edict godless conspirators communists can run for government office, teach in our schools, hold office in labor unions, work in our defense plants, serve in our merchant marines, etcand so forth. As a nation, we are helping it would seem to underwrite communist many evil revolutionaries in our country.
Now we are assured that the Church will remain on the earth until the Lord comes again—but at what price? The Saints in the early days were assured that Zion would be established in Jackson County, but look at what their unfaithfulness cost them in bloodshed and delay.

President Clark warned us that “we stand in danger of losing our liberties, and that once lost, only blood will bring them back; and once lost, we of this church will, in order to keep the Church going forward, have more sacrifices to make and more persecutions to endure than we have yet known. …” (CR, April 1944, p. 116.) And he stated that if the conspiracy communism“comes here it will probably come in its full vigor and there will be a lot of vacant places among those who guide and direct, not only this government, but also this Church of ours.” (CR, April 1952.)
This is excellent! Nice work, I have been saying for years that Ezra T Benson might have been the last real prophet. It all changed after his death. Not the same church.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Vernet wrote: February 9th, 2023, 10:40 pm This is excellent! Nice work, I have been saying for years that Ezra T Benson might have been the last real prophet. It all changed after his death. Not the same church.
It definitely was a point of turning, and not necessarily for the better.

TwochurchesOnly
captain of 1,000

Post by TwochurchesOnly »

creator wrote: January 26th, 2023, 11:41 am

And it was the same Apostle and some of the same 70s involved in both of those.

That was somewhat covered in this recent Gospel Tangents interview with Paul Toscano.
"All authority has to be based on truth.."
Toscano

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

The changes to Elder Benson's April 1972 Conference talk are just evidence to me of the Church striving to establish and maintain good will with authorities in communist countries. Hard to take, sometimes.

tmac
captain of 1,000

Post by tmac »

How about good will with Babylon and the global puppet masters they have chosen to embrace? I agree, it’s hard to take, and not just sometimes, at least for me.

hedgehog
captain of 100

Post by hedgehog »

crabman wrote: January 18th, 2023, 4:37 pm How soon before we have a new version of the Book of Mormon that edits out references to secret combinations and other evils in an effort to avoid offending people? Just unbelievable. It's full on ministry of truth stuff going on.
There have already been a lot of changes to the book of mormon for current year political reasons.

gkearney
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by gkearney »

hedgehog wrote: February 24th, 2023, 3:11 am
crabman wrote: January 18th, 2023, 4:37 pm How soon before we have a new version of the Book of Mormon that edits out references to secret combinations and other evils in an effort to avoid offending people? Just unbelievable. It's full on ministry of truth stuff going on.
There have already been a lot of changes to the book of mormon for current year political reasons.
Can you please cite a list of “a lot of changes”?

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

Yes, please, hedgehog, point out those changes in the Book of Mormon. I would expect any changes would be announced from the First Presidency.

Fred
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fred »

How serious are the CFR on getting their way? Or what happens if you get in their way?

Ymarsakar
captain of 1,000

Post by Ymarsakar »

I know Kimball talked about the lust to kill and reducing it. That was definitely in line with the Christ's mission purpose. Did any other President of the LDS church org speak about reducing the lust to kill, via hunting specifically?

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Ymarsakar wrote: April 18th, 2023, 3:06 am I know Kimball talked about the lust to kill and reducing it. That was definitely in line with the Christ's mission purpose. Did any other President of the LDS church org speak about reducing the lust to kill, via hunting specifically?
Except for Joseph Smith, none that I recall.

TwochurchesOnly
captain of 1,000

Post by TwochurchesOnly »

Fred wrote: April 17th, 2023, 7:03 pm How serious are the CFR on getting their way? Or what happens if you get in their way?
I was so very unaware about any of this - 1975-83 ( young and asleep...)

This man seems brilliant, wellspoken, clear headed, God fearing, truthful, fearless and genuinely GOOD .
no wonder he was killed

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

I wonder why Ron Paul has never been taken out. Speaking in the House of Representatives 29 April 2003, Congressman Paul stated, as reported on his thelibertycommittee.org web page: "...Perhaps it’s time to stop trying to manipulate the UN, and start asserting our national sovereignty. If we do not, rest assured that the UN will continue to interfere not only in our nation’s foreign policy matters, but in our domestic policies as well. UN globalists are not satisfied by meddling only in international disputes. They increasingly want to influence our domestic environmental, trade, labor, tax, and gun laws. UN global planners fully intend to expand the organization into a true world government, complete with taxes, courts, and possibly a standing army. This is not an alarmist statement; these goals are readily promoted on the UN’s own website. UN planners do not care about national sovereignty; in fact they are openly opposed to it. They correctly view it as an obstacle to their plans. They simply aren’t interested in our Constitution and republican form of government." And at an event near Austin, Texas on August 30th, 2003, Congressman Paul was asked: "...If we can take a look at the big picture, could you tell us, the people in this room, any information that you may have of an international and deceptive conspiracy to overthrow the American Republic and its Constitution & Bill Of Rights in order to set up and usher in a totalitarian World Government likely espoused under the UN also.."? Congressman Paul replied: " He asked if there was an international conspiracy to overthrow our government. The answer is "Yes". I think there are 25,000 individuals that have used offices of powers, and they are in our Universities and they are in our Congresses, and they believe in One World Government. And if you believe in One World Government, then you are talking about undermining National Sovereignty and you are talking about setting up something that you could well call a Dictatorship - and those plans are there!..."

And now, 20 years later, he continues to fight on.

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

lundbaek wrote: April 19th, 2023, 1:43 am I wonder why Ron Paul has never been taken out. ...
I think the system relies on having a few Ron Paul's and Alex Jones' out there. Whether they pop up naturally or via controlled opposition. It allows them to better identify the crazies. And they need a few people to point the finger at to say "look at these crazy tinfoil hat conspiracy theorists; they are crazy, we are not. Believe us, follow us, blah blah.." It also gives people a false sense of still having freedom.

InfoWarrior82
Level 34 Illuminated
Location: "There are 15 on the earth today, you can trust them completely." -President Nelson (Jan 2022)

Post by InfoWarrior82 »

creator wrote: April 19th, 2023, 9:50 am
lundbaek wrote: April 19th, 2023, 1:43 am I wonder why Ron Paul has never been taken out. ...
I think the system relies on having a few Ron Paul's and Alex Jones' out there. Whether they pop up naturally or via controlled opposition. It allows them to better identify the crazies. And they need a few people to point the finger at to say "look at these crazy tinfoil hat conspiracy theorists; they are crazy, we are not. Believe us, follow us, blah blah.." It also gives people a false sense of still having freedom.
Agreed. They're still in the phase of discrediting people like this though the media gatekeepers. They are confident that these people are now discredited and shamed in the minds of the masses. But once they begin seeing that their media campaign against them is backfiring, is when they start to kill them. There have been voices of warning that were much smaller in notoriety that were murdered.. only because they don't want any new ones popping up. They only want to preserve a select few because they are confident they can still use them to their own advantage one way or another.