Our bodies as temples

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
ransomme
captain of 1,000

Our bodies as temples

Post by ransomme »

Looking for thoughts on our bodies as temple for both or own and God's Spirit.

How deep or fast may we, should we take?

Any good insights?
Attachments
Screenshot_20230117-194224.jpg
Screenshot_20230117-194224.jpg (115.54 KiB) Viewed 388 times

ransomme
captain of 1,000

Re: Our bodies as temples

Post by ransomme »

Do we take this idea serious enough?

John Tavner
captain of 1,000

Post by John Tavner »

ransomme wrote: January 17th, 2023, 10:45 am Looking for thoughts on our bodies as temple for both or own and God's Spirit.

Any good insights?
God does the renovating. We just submit. The temple cleansing during Jesus Ministry is what HE does to us. His blood cleanses us and sets us free - However, if we do not fill our house with that which is Holy, then that which left will seek to return - trying to convince us that we are not Holy, as stated by God. Half of our battle is believing. Otherwise why would God call us to be saints? Saint comes from sanctification, which means set a apart or Holy (also set apart is another word for peculiar). God has told us what we are through His grace, it is our job to beleive and trust and submit. "As a man thinketh, so is he"

ransomme
captain of 1,000

Post by ransomme »

John Tavner wrote: January 17th, 2023, 11:19 am
ransomme wrote: January 17th, 2023, 10:45 am Looking for thoughts on our bodies as temple for both or own and God's Spirit.

Any good insights?
God does the renovating. We just submit. The temple cleansing during Jesus Ministry is what HE does to us. His blood cleanses us and sets us free - However, if we do not fill our house with that which is Holy, then that which left will seek to return - trying to convince us that we are not Holy, as stated by God. Half of our battle is believing. Otherwise why would God call us to be saints? Saint comes from sanctification, which means set a apart or Holy (also set apart is another word for peculiar). God has told us what we are through His grace, it is our job to beleive and trust and submit. "As a man thinketh, so is he"
Right, He doesn't initiate the renovations. We need to circumcise or hearts first and offer it up broken first.

How much should be invested in the physical structure?

TheDuke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by TheDuke »

cannot call our bodies temples any more....................... that would be like calling ourselves Mormons.................. our bodies are some kind of fleshy implementations of "the house of the Lord" per latest LDS language critics

Wondering Wendy
captain of 100

Post by Wondering Wendy »

This is something I think about. If the elements are made up of intelligences that honor and obey the Father, all one with his Spirit and the Light of Christ, then this would certainly include the make up of our bodies.

The more we become like him, we are also learning to become one with these intelligences, as our love for all beings increases. So, if we are to love and become one with him and all of creation, then how do we best serve these intelligences that make up our bodies? How do we become one with them and express our love for them?

When I think of this idea, then the obvious answer, to me, is that, yes, our physical bodies are a temple filled with the Spirit, especially after we have received the Baptism of fire and the Holy Ghost. Our bodies are also a part of our stewardship. We are to take care of them, and the Spirit will often direct us to do so in very direct, personal ways.

One of the things we are here to learn is how to control the natural man, become one with it, yet as the lead, guiding spirit of all our actions. As we align ourselves closer and closer with God, the more we become one with our bodies and all of creation.

How much, then, should be invested in the physical structure? I'd say invest deeply in the spiritual and let it guide us to being better stewards of the physical. :)

TheDuke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by TheDuke »

Wondering Wendy wrote: January 17th, 2023, 6:09 pm This is something I think about. If the elements are made up of intelligences that honor and obey the Father, all one with his Spirit and the Light of Christ, then this would certainly include the make up of our bodies.
I don't understand the elements and intelligences as you mention above. I understand that Joseph taught that there are elements (physical part of universe) and their are intelligences which become spirits. So, our spirit is made of "intelligences" but our bodies are made of elements. Also, no where does it say the intelligences or spirits follow or adhere to the Light of Christ (LoC) (Lucifer certainly didn't). I see the spiritual components (all we have is spirit, intelligences, LoC) where the components are likely complex like in the physical universe and the LoC is the medium that shares information or truth through out space and time, a least that is what D&C 88 and 93 says. LoC comes from where god dwells (not necessarily from god himself) and spreads truth and light, to all other intelligences and spirits, including our spirits.

As far as the body is a temple thing. I never got it. I don't spend much time on it, either to build it up or put it down. Seems like a nice thing to say, like "love everyone", etc... I mean face it, some got better bodies in this probation that others that are not quite so well created. And these bodies are corruptible and will die, generally sick, and often tired. I'm grateful for my body, don't get me wrong. I try to care for it. I try to learn about god with it. But, in the end it is a temporary structure, unlike my celestial body.

ransomme
captain of 1,000

Post by ransomme »

TheDuke wrote: January 17th, 2023, 6:33 pm
Wondering Wendy wrote: January 17th, 2023, 6:09 pm This is something I think about. If the elements are made up of intelligences that honor and obey the Father, all one with his Spirit and the Light of Christ, then this would certainly include the make up of our bodies.
I don't understand the elements and intelligences as you mention above. I understand that Joseph taught that there are elements (physical part of universe) and their are intelligences which become spirits. So, our spirit is made of "intelligences" but our bodies are made of elements. Also, no where does it say the intelligences or spirits follow or adhere to the Light of Christ (LoC) (Lucifer certainly didn't). I see the spiritual components (all we have is spirit, intelligences, LoC) where the components are likely complex like in the physical universe and the LoC is the medium that shares information or truth through out space and time, a least that is what D&C 88 and 93 says. LoC comes from where god dwells (not necessarily from god himself) and spreads truth and light, to all other intelligences and spirits, including our spirits.

As far as the body is a temple thing. I never got it. I don't spend much time on it, either to build it up or put it down. Seems like a nice thing to say, like "love everyone", etc... I mean face it, some got better bodies in this probation that others that are not quite so well created. And these bodies are corruptible and will die, generally sick, and often tired. I'm grateful for my body, don't get me wrong. I try to care for it. I try to learn about god with it. But, in the end it is a temporary structure, unlike my celestial body.
I think that I understood what he she was saying.

All matter obeys the Most High God and respects His authority, His word. This is possible because matter has "intelligence".

This is fundamentally how the sealing power world works to turn rivers from their course, to move mountains, etc. Or how priesthood authority/power works in general. If the person is operating under God's authority (with faith,), then things will obey and happen accordingly.

Now since "intelligence" is at the base of matter, then that means the matter in our bodies has intelligence. And this was what was shared above.

I don't think intelligence means that it has free agency or consciousness. Those things were granted only to God's offspring, those intelligences that he clothed in spirit.
Last edited by ransomme on January 21st, 2023, 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

ransomme wrote: January 17th, 2023, 10:45 amLooking for thoughts on our bodies as temple for both or own and God's Spirit.
Yes, and the Kingdom of God is within (as Christ said). These things are more true than most people realize.

Microcosm–macrocosm - we are a mirror of the cosmos.

TheDuke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by TheDuke »

I don't understand that matter is made of intelligence. This is of course speculation based on JS few brief discussions. But, he says that "elements" and the "intelligences" are separate things. Not saying they don't interact some, but seems it is very slight. I also don't buy that all things are controlled by god. I think god can command or influence the inanimate "physical" things. but I don't see this as because they are intelligent. The discussion of this only talks about earth. And all we have about the earth (and rolling on its wings) is either spiritual or earth as figurative and not as the planet or world. At least there is not enough accuracy in the terminology to get that. I mean when you talk of the planet and rolling on its wings, it smacks of figurative speech for sure.

I could be wrong, but I see a physical universe (Joseph calls the elements) seen with visible light (photons) and the spiritual universe (made of intelligences and spirits and connected by spiritual light (light of Christ) as separate and barely interacting universes. It is god and the celestial realm that brings these together, where he created a place with full life (spiritual) and full access to physical (bodies) to gain power over everything. He combines life (knowledge, love, feelings, self awareness) with physical (touch, lust or physical pleasures, power to physically interact directly with elements) into one being........... a celestial god. Hence we have spirit and body for our soul. And the spirit is the eye to light and truth while the body gives us access to the physical realm (temple). So the body is the tabernacle that allows the spirit to transcend the physical realm. IMO.

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

TheDuke wrote: January 18th, 2023, 10:19 amI could be wrong, but I see a physical universe (Joseph calls the elements) seen with visible light (photons) and the spiritual universe (made of intelligences and spirits and connected by spiritual light (light of Christ) as separate and barely interacting universes...
I see the physical and spiritual realms as very much integrated, we just don't typically perceive the influence and connection of the spiritual world with our physical senses. It's our own perception that is limited and not recognizing just how connected we are. But we're still given agency and freedom to choose and act on our own. I think our choices then dictate how much we are influenced either by the light or darkness (in regards to spiritual influences).

TheDuke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by TheDuke »

Creator: I can see your point. I guess I just see the direct interconnection via our spirit and that spirit is part of the spiritual realm or plane. I guess the magic that connects those within our bodies is as you say. I guess the discussion of non-living things in the physical world here and non-living things in the spiritual realm is where I see very little interaction. It is life that brings the interaction together IMO, vs just "intelligences" baked within inanimate objects, like rocks and such.

I see photons as light permeating the physical universe and LoC doing the same thing in the spiritual realm, at least that seems how JS described it via revelations. However, it seems the LoC brings truth where light in this realm brings only energy and not information or truth. So there must be much more complex structures in the spiritual realm that we haven't been taught yet.

As far as our bodies being temples. It seems that the temple was a structure built to allow the spirit of the Lord to abide in this telestial world w/o disrupting the world and interact with his people (at least the HPs and priests chosen to enter). While our bodies is also a structure to allow the spirit (our spirit as children of god so less or no glory but still spirit) to interact with this world. So a temple and our body are structures where spiritual and physical meet and interact. IMO.

ransomme
captain of 1,000

Post by ransomme »

So what part of the body is the holy of holies?

The heart?