Prayer of Manasses, BoM etc

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Prayer of Manasses, BoM etc

Post by Niemand »

The Prayer of Manasses or Prayer of Manasseh is a short work in the Apocrypha attributed to the king of the same name. (c. 709-c. 643 BC, reigned 697-643). I'm currently going through the shorter works before I get onto the longer more complex works.

I'll post the text and write some comments afterwards.

This is part of my series on Apocryphal/Deuterocanonical works:

1 Esdras
viewtopic.php?p=1343974

2 Esdras (the most relevant book in the Apocrypha?)
viewtopic.php?p=1344302

Tobit:
viewtopic.php?p=1341501#p1341501

Apocryphal additions to Esther
viewtopic.php?p=1343414

Bel and the Dragon
viewtopic.php?t=69261

Prayer of Azarias and Hymn of the Three Children
viewtopic.php?p=1341609

Psalm 151:
viewtopic.php?t=63875

Epistle to the Laodiceans
viewtopic.php?t=64025

The Prayer (KJV)
O Lord, Almighty God of our fathers, Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, and of their righteous seed;

2 who hast made heaven and earth, with all the ornament thereof;

3 who hast bound the sea by the word of thy commandment; who hast shut up the deep, and sealed it by thy terrible and glorious name;

4 whom all men fear, and tremble before thy power;

5 for the majesty of thy glory cannot be borne, and thine angry threatening toward sinners is importable:

6 but thy merciful promise is unmeasurable and unsearchable;

7 for thou art the most high Lord, of great compassion, longsuffering, very merciful, and repentest of the evils of men. Thou, O Lord, according to thy great goodness hast promised repentance and forgiveness to them that have sinned against thee: and of thine infinite mercies hast appointed repentance unto sinners, that they may be saved.

8 Thou therefore, O Lord, that art the God of the just, hast not appointed repentance to the just, as to Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, which have not sinned against thee; but thou hast appointed repentance unto me that am a sinner:

9 for I have sinned above the number of the sands of the sea. My transgressions, O Lord, are multiplied: my transgressions are multiplied, and I am not worthy to behold and see the height of heaven for the multitude of mine iniquities.

10 I am bowed down with many iron bands, that I cannot lift up mine head, neither have any release: for I have provoked thy wrath, and done evil before thee: I did not thy will, neither kept I thy commandments: I have set up abominations, and have multiplied offences.

11 Now therefore I bow the knee of mine heart, beseeching thee of grace.

12 I have sinned, O Lord, I have sinned, and I acknowledge mine iniquities:

13 wherefore, I humbly beseech thee, forgive me, O Lord, forgive me, and destroy me not with mine iniquities. Be not angry with me for ever, by reserving evil for me; neither condemn me to the lower parts of the earth. For thou art the God, even the God of them that repent;

14 and in me thou wilt shew all thy goodness: for thou wilt save me, that am unworthy, according to thy great mercy.

15 Therefore I will praise thee for ever all the days of my life: for all the powers of the heavens do praise thee, and thine is the glory for ever and ever. Amen.

Last edited by Niemand on January 23rd, 2023, 4:10 am, edited 4 times in total.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Prayer of Manasses, BoM etc

Post by Niemand »

Prayer of Manasseh (KJV) audiobook - 3 minutes
Background including Biblical context
A direct quote from Wikipedia on the work:
Its canonicity is disputed. The majority of scholars believe that the Prayer of Manasseh was written in Greek (while a minority argues for a Semitic original) in the second or first century BC. It is recognised that it could also have been written in the first half of the 1st century AD, but in any case before the Destruction of the Second Temple in 70 AD. Another work by the same title, written in Hebrew, was found among the Dead Sea Scrolls (4Q381:17).
Thus the mainstream claim is that a) it was written around or near the Christian era, b) possibly before some NT works (depending on who you ask), and c) Mannaseh didn't write it. Some of the phraseology such as "thine is the glory for ever and ever. Amen." resembles the Lord's Prayer, as do its notions about forgiveness and grace.

The Prayer is found in Roman Catholic and Orthodox Bibles, it also turns up in the original KJV and Luther's Bible. It is found in the Greek language LXX/Septuagint but not Hebrew canon. Some people think it was originally written in Greek.

I'll paraphrase/précis some of what else Wikipedia says about the King as opposed to the work. The Biblical account of Manasseh himself is found in 2 Kings 21:1–18 , 2 Chronicles 32:33–33:20 and Jeremiah 15:4, where the prophet Jeremiah predicts "four forms of destruction" for the people of Judah because of the evil done by Manasseh in Judah. (Mannases is just the Greek form of his name.) He is also said to have brought back pagan polytheism. In rabbinic literature and Christian pseudepigrapha, Manasseh is accused of executing the prophet Isaiah, who was identified as the maternal grandfather of Manasseh. Mannaseh is also referred to in 1 Maccabees as a bad example of a king.

None of this sounds very good, but it must be said Manasseh ruled for a long time (55 years). The Mannasseh mentioned in the Book of Mormon is the tribal patriarch not this king.

https://www.desiringgod.org/articles/wh ... -apocrypha
Manasseh was a wicked king over the southern kingdom (2 Kings 21:1–9) who repented after being imprisoned in Babylon (2 Chronicles 33:10–13). His prayer of repentance, according to 2 Chronicles 33:18–19, can be found in the lost Chronicles of the Kings of Israel. The Prayer of Manasseh claims to be that ancient prayer.
Breaking down the prayer
* Consists of three main parts: praise, confession, forgiveness
* It makes reference to God's relationship with Abraham etc, linking it into Jewish tradition.
* It also emphasises God's role as creator and ruler of the elements, including notably the seas and the heavens.
* The prayer demonstrates contrition (or attrition?), repentance and is begging God for forgiveness.

It can be said at this point that the content of the prayer seems in line with the gospel, even if the historical links to its supposed author are shaky.

Book of Mormon
One of the more obvious parallels is the so called Psalm of Nephi (2 Nephi 4:15-35 ):
17 Nevertheless, notwithstanding the great goodness of the Lord, in showing me his great and marvelous works, my heart exclaimeth: O wretched man that I am! Yea, my heart sorroweth because of my flesh; my soul grieveth because of mine iniquities.
However Nephi was quite different to Mannasseh if the personal accounts are to be believed.

Note also the mention of grace and forgiveness in an OT type context. This is rare in the Hebrew Bible, but much more common in the BoM and also POGP.

Manasseh was a wicked king over the southern kingdom (2 Kings 21:1–9) who repented after being imprisoned in Babylon (2 Chronicles 33:10–13). His prayer of repentance, according to 2 Chronicles 33:18–19, can be found in the lost Chronicles of the Kings of Israel. The Prayer of Manasseh claims to be that ancient prayer.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Latest Apocrypha
Book of Susanna
viewtopic.php?t=69386

TheChristian
captain of 100

Post by TheChristian »

You ought to go to Church sale of works and their Jumble sales, when I lived in Aberdeenshire it was a veritable treasure trove for ancient religious books, also the charity shops, look in their religious and antiquities sections..............

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

TheChristian wrote: January 24th, 2023, 1:54 pm You ought to go to Church sale of works and their Jumble sales, when I lived in Aberdeenshire it was a veritable treasure trove for ancient religious books, also the charity shops, look in their religious and antiquities sections..............
I don't get to many jumble sales these days for some reasons, but have occasionally found some decent stuff.

However there was one charity shop I volunteered at years ago which used to chuck a lot. Including a Bible I donated myself! One of the women there was very anti-Christian.

Latest Apocrypha

Book of Judith
viewtopic.php?t=69402

Wisdom of Solomon
viewtopic.php?t=69469

The Book of Sirach, Ecclesiasticus, the NT, the BOM and the other Jesus
viewtopic.php?t=69412

Book of Baruch and the Epistle of Jeremy/Jeremiah
viewtopic.php?t=69433

1 Maccabees
viewtopic.php?t=69454

2 Maccabees
viewtopic.php?p=1347024

3 Maccabees
viewtopic.php?t=69496

4 Maccabees
viewtopic.php?p=1348046

The Book of Odes - this is an Eastern Orthodox work of limited interest, but included for the sake of completeness.
viewtopic.php?t=69470

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Outside the Western and Eastern Orthodox Canon...

The Ethiopian canon. This includes brief info on the books of Sinodos, Ethiopian Clement, Ethiopian Covenant, and Didascalia as well as a list of other works in the canon.
viewtopic.php?t=69540

The Book of Jubilees aka Leptogenesis or Little Genesis
viewtopic.php?p=1348962

3 Corinthians (Armenian canon)
viewtopic.php?t=69567

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Latest Apocrypha
The "official" Apocrypha
Underrated Bible stories #3: Habakkuk's Hair-raising Experience (from Bel & the Dragon in the KJV Apocrypha)
viewtopic.php?t=69509 )

Book of Judith and the Book of Mormon, inc. audiobook link
viewtopic.php?t=69402

Four Apocryphal Psalms - 152, 153, 154, 155
viewtopic.php?t=69985

Ethiopian Canon...
The Book of Enoch
viewtopic.php?t=69577

1 Meqabyan (Ethiopian canon), another lost book?
viewtopic.php?t=69855

2 Meqabyan (Ethiopian canon), - the return of Tsirutsaydan
viewtopic.php?t=69971

3 Meqabyan (Ethiopian canon) a Question of Satan, another lost work?
viewtopic.php?t=70277

The First and Second Books of Adam and Eve (the Conflict with Satan)
viewtopic.php?t=70846

Lost works and nearly lost works
The LDS Bible Dictionary on Lost Books and non-canonical works referred to in the Bible.
viewtopic.php?t=69805

Antilegomena: the books which barely made it into the Bible - Revelation, Esther, Song of Songs, James etc
viewtopic.php?p=1350652

Is Q canonical? How about the Gospel of Thomas? The answer's more complicated than you think.
viewtopic.php?t=69715

Other New Testament works
The Gospel of Nicodemus or Acts of Pilate, as tested on Mennonites
viewtopic.php?t=69760

The Epistle of Barnabas (NT Apocrypha) - link between OT and NT, or not?
viewtopic.php?t=69679

1 Clement: Papist propaganda or a window into the early church?
viewtopic.php?p=1368842

2 Clement: Inclement Gnosticism?
viewtopic.php?t=70327

The Didache or Teachings of the Apostles
viewtopic.php?t=69698

The Shepherd of Hermas - inspired literature or pagan trash?
viewtopic.php?t=69650

The Three different Apocalypses of Peter: Guides to the universe or sadism? The ancient Apocalypse of Peter, the Arabic Apocalypse of Peter and the Nag Hammadi/Gnostic Text of the same name.
viewtopic.php?t=70682

A post on the Restored Branch, an English LDS microsect and its canon which includes works from the Nag Hammadi and Gnostic texts: these are the Gospel of Peter, the Gospel of Mary, the Gospel of Thomas, the Gospel of Phillip, the Gospel of Truth (sic), the Letter of the Apostle Paul, the Sophia (Wisdom) of Jesus the Christ, the Acts of Peter and the Twelve Apostles and the Letter of Peter which he sent to Philip.
viewtopic.php?t=70413

Celtic legends about the Bible, including the visits of Biblical figures to western Europe, the Michael Line, Holy Grail, and Pontius Pilate.
viewtopic.php?t=71061

On other interrelated religions:
The Samaritans, their canon and its significance
viewtopic.php?t=69905

My thread about the Koran, and its use of figures from the Bible, the Apocrypha and extracanonical material. How useful a source is the Koran itself? Does it have any real extra information on Biblical figures? This is something of work in progress.
viewtopic.php?t=70169

Was Zoroaster/Zarathustra a lost prophet of God? Some surprising links between this largely forgotten figure and Judaism, plus the Gathas.
viewtopic.php?t=65938

My thread on a bizarre Middle Eastern sect and their beliefs. Are the Yezidis of the Middle East an ancient Satanist group or a lost Jewish tribe? And what is the connection between their religion and today's rainbow flag? Is this strange group simply misunderstood?
viewtopic.php?t=70625

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Alternative audiobook by a Mormon channel 7 mins.
Latest Apocrypha etc
Will the real Book of Jasher please stand up? At least a dozen works are claimed to be the Book of Jasher, but did it ever exist in the first place?
viewtopic.php?p=1438746

The Book of Gad the Seer, a work referred to in the Old Testament which may have been preserved by a small group of Jews in India. Some of its content is stunning including references to a sacrificed lamb who is sent by God and the future tribulation.
viewtopic.php?t=71421

The Testaments of the Twelve Patriarchs: are these lost books of the founders of each Tribe of Israel or a later forgery?
viewtopic.php?t=71314

The Ascension of Isaiah, visions of Christ and Antichrist
viewtopic.php?t=71598

The Book of the Cock – an unfortunately named gospel still in current use in Ethiopia.
viewtopic.php?t=71338

The Epistle of Polycarp to the Philippians, an early endorsement of Paul or a forgery?
viewtopic.php?p=1400884

The Epistle of Mathetes to Diognetus - a beautiful short epistle about the relations of Christians and non-Christians, and the Tree of Knowledge
viewtopic.php?p=1404032

End Times Prophecy in Apocrypha/Pseudepigrapha: A guide
Includes discussions of 2 Esdras, (1) Enoch, Nicodemus, Ascension of Isaiah, Gad the Seer and the Shepherd of Hermas
viewtopic.php?t=71659

New Age Bibles: Urantia, Oahspe, Kolbrin, Oera Linda, Crowley's Book of the Law, a Course in Miracles etc. These works, usually channelled, provide a very different take on spirituality yet are strangely similar to one another. How should we approach these new works and are they just demonic?
viewtopic.php?p=1433133