Cross post: Scripture Study - "Contrite"

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
endlessQuestions
Level 34 Illuminated

Cross post: Scripture Study - "Contrite"

Post by endlessQuestions »

Sorry for the cross post here, but I want this in its own thread, if that's okay.

You can ignore the questions you don't understand at the end, if you haven't been paying attention to the "Apostle or Aristocrat" thread.

###### BEGIN ###########

Wow. I just had a great experience.

As I've been studying today, I came across my favorite scripture, D&C 52:14 a couple times:

"And again, I will give unto you a pattern in all things, that ye may not be deceived; for Satan is abroad in the land, and he goeth forth deceiving the nations".

I've probably looked at that scripture a few hundred times in my life, but today the Spirit stopped me and said "go learn what the actual pattern is".

Well, that caught me a bit off guard.

But I want to be obedient, so I went to D&C 52. Here's the part of the section that's relevant:

14 And again, I will give unto you a pattern in all things, that ye may not be deceived; for Satan is abroad in the land, and he goeth forth deceiving the nations—
15 Wherefore he that prayeth, whose spirit is contrite, the same is accepted of me if he obey mine ordinances.
16 He that speaketh, whose spirit is contrite, whose language is meek and edifieth, the same is of God if he obey mine ordinances.
17 And again, he that trembleth under my power shall be made strong, and shall bring forth fruits of praise and wisdom, according to the revelations and truths which I have given you.
18 And again, he that is overcome and bringeth not forth fruits, even according to this pattern, is not of me.
19 Wherefore, by this pattern ye shall know the spirits in all cases under the whole heavens.

Wow.

That word "contrite" just jumped off the page at me, so I looked up the definition:

"feeling or expressing remorse or penitence; affected by guilt."

And in Webster's 1828 dictionary, it's even more explicit about the religious connotations:

"CONTRITE, adjective [Latin , to break or bruise; to rub or wear. See Trite.] Literally, worn or bruised. Hence, broken-hearted for sin; deeply affected with grief and sorrow for having offended God; humble; penitent; as a contrite sinner."

And "contrition":

CONTRITION, noun [Latin]

1. The act of grinding or rubbing to powder.

2. Penitence; deep sorrow for sin; grief of heart for having offended and infinitely holy and benevolent God. The word is usually understood to mean genuine penitence, accompanied with a deep sense of ingratitude in the sinner, and sincere resolution to live in obedience to the divine law.

Go back a bit in this thread. A couple days ago I showed that there was guilt associated with Adam and Eve's decision to disobey Father.

I plugged it into my script, and here are all the results for the word "contrite" in the standard works:

Psalms 34:18 The Lord is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.
Psalms 51:17 The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise.
Isaiah 57:15 For thus saith the high and lofty One that inhabiteth eternity, whose name is Holy; I dwell in the high and holy place, with him also that is of a contrite and humble spirit, to revive the spirit of the humble, and to revive the heart of the contrite ones.
Isaiah 66:2 For all those things hath mine hand made, and all those things have been, saith the Lord: but to this man will I look, even to him that is poor and of a contrite spirit, and trembleth at my word.
2 Nephi 2:7 Behold, he offereth himself a sacrifice for sin, to answer the ends of the law, unto all those who have a broken heart and a contrite spirit; and unto none else can the ends of the law be answered.
2 Nephi 4:32 May the gates of hell be shut continually before me, because that my heart is broken and my spirit is contrite! O Lord, wilt thou not shut the gates of thy righteousness before me, that I may walk in the path of the low valley, that I may be strict in the plain road!
Helaman 8:15 And as many as should look upon that serpent should live, even so as many as should look upon the Son of God with faith, having a contrite spirit, might live, even unto that life which is eternal.
3 Nephi 9:20 And ye shall offer for a sacrifice unto me a broken heart and a contrite spirit. And whoso cometh unto me with a broken heart and a contrite spirit, him will I baptize with fire and with the Holy Ghost, even as the Lamanites, because of their faith in me at the time of their conversion, were baptized with fire and with the Holy Ghost, and they knew it not.
3 Nephi 12:19 And behold, I have given you the law and the commandments of my Father, that ye shall believe in me, and that ye shall repent of your sins, and come unto me with a broken heart and a contrite spirit. Behold, ye have the commandments before you, and the law is fulfilled.
Mormon 2:14 And they did not come unto Jesus with broken hearts and contrite spirits, but they did curse God, and wish to die. Nevertheless they would struggle with the sword for their lives.
Ether 4:15 Behold, when ye shall rend that veil of unbelief which doth cause you to remain in your awful state of wickedness, and hardness of heart, and blindness of mind, then shall the great and marvelous things which have been hid up from the foundation of the world from you--yea, when ye shall call upon the Father in my name, with a broken heart and a contrite spirit, then shall ye know that the Father hath remembered the covenant which he made unto your fathers, O house of Israel.
Moroni 6:2 Neither did they receive any unto baptism save they came forth with a broken heart and a contrite spirit, and witnessed unto the church that they truly repented of all their sins.
Doctrine and Covenants 20:37 And again, by way of commandment to the church concerning the manner of baptism--All those who humble themselves before God, and desire to be baptized, and come forth with broken hearts and contrite spirits, and witness before the church that they have truly repented of all their sins, and are willing to take upon them the name of Jesus Christ, having a determination to serve him to the end, and truly manifest by their works that they have received of the Spirit of Christ unto the remission of their sins, shall be received by baptism into his church.
Doctrine and Covenants 21:9 For, behold, I will bless all those who labor in my vineyard with a mighty blessing, and they shall believe on his words, which are given him through me by the Comforter, which manifesteth that Jesus was crucified by sinful men for the sins of the world, yea, for the remission of sins unto the contrite heart.
Doctrine and Covenants 52:15 Wherefore he that prayeth, whose spirit is contrite, the same is accepted of me if he obey mine ordinances.
Doctrine and Covenants 52:16 He that speaketh, whose spirit is contrite, whose language is meek and edifieth, the same is of God if he obey mine ordinances.
Doctrine and Covenants 54:3 And if your brethren desire to escape their enemies, let them repent of all their sins, and become truly humble before me and contrite.
Doctrine and Covenants 55:3 And on whomsoever you shall lay your hands, if they are contrite before me, you shall have power to give the Holy Spirit.
Doctrine and Covenants 56:7 Wherefore, let my servant Newel Knight remain with them; and as many as will go may go, that are contrite before me, and be led by him to the land which I have appointed.
Doctrine and Covenants 56:17 Wo unto you poor men, whose hearts are not broken, whose spirits are not contrite, and whose bellies are not satisfied, and whose hands are not stayed from laying hold upon other men's goods, whose eyes are full of greediness, and who will not labor with your own hands!
Doctrine and Covenants 56:18 But blessed are the poor who are pure in heart, whose hearts are broken, and whose spirits are contrite, for they shall see the kingdom of God coming in power and great glory unto their deliverance; for the fatness of the earth shall be theirs.
Doctrine and Covenants 59:8 Thou shalt offer a sacrifice unto the Lord thy God in righteousness, even that of a broken heart and a contrite spirit.
Doctrine and Covenants 97:8 Verily I say unto you, all among them who know their hearts are honest, and are broken, and their spirits contrite, and are willing to observe their covenants by sacrifice--yea, every sacrifice which I, the Lord, shall command--they are accepted of me.
Doctrine and Covenants 136:33 For my Spirit is sent forth into the world to enlighten the humble and contrite, and to the condemnation of the ungodly.

Okay, just a couple of questions:

1) As you read the words of Beverly Campbell, do you see evidence of a contrite heart and spirit?
2) When you read President Nelson's autobiography as a whole, but specifically in regards to his decision to tie himself to secret societies, do you see a contrite heart and spirit?
3) In Beverly's teachings about Eve, do you see any evidence that Beverly feels Eve was guilty of anything, and had the need for a contrite heart or Spirit?
4) Are there any of our leaders that you feel exhibit the characteristics as laid out in the scriptures above?
5) What about the multitude of splinter sects that have sprung up and their leadership? Do they exhibit these characteristics?

Brothers and sisters, the Lord has given us the pattern.

Let's use it.

And let's make sure that when He returns, we are found amongst those who TRULY are contrite.

Because if we can be amongst that group of people, all will be well with us.

##### END ######