Does nailing boards handle force like I think it will?

This is the place where you can discuss things completely Off Topic.
Jamescm
captain of 100

Does nailing boards handle force like I think it will?

Post by Jamescm »

I don't really know who to ask, having had an entirely white collar upbringing. I figure some people on here would know something about this. I've got some joists in the garage. Well, I call them joists. They're more like beams to place plywood slats on to create a simple "attic" to store things in. I have a 100 lb heavy bag hanging from a strap wrapped around two such joists. Punching doesn't seem to be a problem, but kicking the bag makes me a little nervous as they tend to wobble back and forth pretty noticeably.

My proposed solution is to lay a long board flat across the two joists that the bag hangs from, plus a couple of joists on either side and nail the board into the tops of the joists. The idea is that this will distribute some of the force across the board and additional joists. Alternatively, this may not help anything and damage whatever I nail the board into. I have a very poor track record when it comes to trying to repair or improve my home.

I've also read about sistering the boards. What is that? Like getting copies of the joists and nailing them into the ones that are already up there?

Fred
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Does nailing boards handle force like I think it will?

Post by Fred »

Screws are generally better than nails as they won't slide out. If the length of the beams is long, you may want to add support like a truss. A triangle is the strongest support. Take a look at a bridge, especially railways.

HVDC
captain of 1,000

Post by HVDC »

Jamescm wrote: January 9th, 2023, 3:01 pm I don't really know who to ask, having had an entirely white collar upbringing. I figure some people on here would know something about this. I've got some joists in the garage. Well, I call them joists. They're more like beams to place plywood slats on to create a simple "attic" to store things in. I have a 100 lb heavy bag hanging from a strap wrapped around two such joists. Punching doesn't seem to be a problem, but kicking the bag makes me a little nervous as they tend to wobble back and forth pretty noticeably.

My proposed solution is to lay a long board flat across the two joists that the bag hangs from, plus a couple of joists on either side and nail the board into the tops of the joists. The idea is that this will distribute some of the force across the board and additional joists. Alternatively, this may not help anything and damage whatever I nail the board into. I have a very poor track record when it comes to trying to repair or improve my home.

I've also read about sistering the boards. What is that? Like getting copies of the joists and nailing them into the ones that are already up there?
YouTube is your friend when it comes to DIY.

I am pretty handy.

But I use it often.

What you are trying to do.

Is simple.

Here is an example:

[youtube]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pm8aYSKTV3A [/youtube]

You got this.

Sir H

gkearney
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by gkearney »

Fred and I don’t agree on much but in this case he is right. Screws or bolts are far better. I will add that you have 100 lb of free hanging weight that when moved is causing the beam it is hanging from to move as well then you’re just asking for trouble.

bbrown
captain of 100

Post by bbrown »

Weight swinging from the rafters will move them unless they are tied together. Nails will work but screws are much better. Like they said above YouTube is your friend in this instance.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

I like HVDC's video there. I wouldn't have done it that way, but what he did will work.

I would not have lagged his bracket into the rafter. For 100 lbs I'd bolt thru and put a large washer under the nut at the top.

However, he negated that by simply wrapping his chain over the top.

I just was never a big fan of lag screws. And always a bigger fan of thru' bolts, with washers, maybe flat and lock, too.

Go and collar a neighbor or two and simply ask them to come over and give you an opinion of how to hang the bag in your garage, or attic, wherever you are.

You may well get 2 good opinions that way.
dc

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

As to screws or nails, it depends on the screws. There are some pretty weak screws out there. And strong nails.

But where there is vibration and movement, the screw may be better.

A lot of builders specify nailed framing. Usually the only reason to do screw framing, is to same time and energy, and maybe money. I do believe the nails are considered stronger, but the framing usually doesn't move, so ...
dc

Momma J
captain of 1,000

Post by Momma J »

David13 wrote: January 9th, 2023, 11:20 pm As to screws or nails, it depends on the screws. There are some pretty weak screws out there. And strong nails.

But where there is vibration and movement, the screw may be better.

A lot of builders specify nailed framing. Usually the only reason to do screw framing, is to same time and energy, and maybe money. I do believe the nails are considered stronger, but the framing usually doesn't move, so ...
dc
I am dismantling a garage from the 60s. The wood is in excellent shape, and I want to use it for my animal sheds. All tresses and beams are nailed and they are a bear to separate. I may end up cutting sections of the roof framing and using as is rather than deconstructing completely and starting over.

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

to stop the lateral movement completely (vibrating the truss), you would need to nail a board across the tops of the trusses from wall to wall. doesn't necessarily need to be a single board - you could use multiple boards. The point being to have a continuous length of board(s) from wall to wall. Anything shorter will still be subject to movement.