Will the Lord hold you accountable for how the church spends your tithes?

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Will the Lord hold you accountable for how the church spends your tithes?

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

While I was “in” the church, I just paid my tithes. It’s just what you did. Some months were harder than others, and we struggled at times. This thread isn’t about the type or amount, but wether members are really ok with how the church spends the tithes. I recently had a guy on facebook say that he’s a “full tithe payer” and that it didn’t matter how the church spends the money, that his responsibility was to give regardless of how the church spent the money. So I ask the question:

Do you believe that the Lord will hold you accountable for giving money to the church if you felt that they were spending it inappropriately?

Brighidara
captain of 50

Re: Will the Lord hold you accountable for how the church spends your tithes?

Post by Brighidara »

YES. Any who would be considered salt of the earth should take full accountability: no common consent (D&C 26:2 & 28:13) / no pay. Thus paying tithes with no common consent = passively consenting to ALL autocratic decisions. Blindly passing the buck of accountability & setting it to the Babylonian exchanges (enmity with God) ~“what need hath my lord of this tower, seeing this is a time of peace? Might not this money be given to the exchangers?”~ leaves a gaping chasm for the enemy as we’ve been warned in D&C 101:43-62 Parable of the Watchtower. With this apathetic mindset of those very elect who “are called to be the savor of men; therefore, if that salt of the earth lose its savor, behold, it is thenceforth good for nothing only to be cast out and trodden under the feet of men” D&C 101:40.
Hence many are called but few are chosen:
D&C 121:36 That the rights of the priesthood are inseparably connected with the powers of heaven, and that the powers of heaven cannot be controlled nor handled ONLY upon the principles of righteousness.
37 That they MAY BE CONFERRED upon us, it is true; but when we undertake to cover our sins, or to gratify our pride, our vain ambition, or to EXERCISE CONTROL or DOMINION or COMPULSION upon the souls of the children of men, in ANY DEGREE of unrighteousness, behold, the HEAVENS WITHDRAW themselves; the Spirit of the Lord is grieved; and when it is withdrawn, AMEN to the priesthood OR the authority of that man.
38 Behold, ere he is aware, he is LEFT unto HIMSELF, to kick against the pricks, to persecute the saints, and to fight against God.
39 We have learned by sad experience that it is the nature and disposition of almost all men, as soon as they get a little authority, as they suppose, they will immediately begin to exercise unrighteous dominion.
40 Hence many are called, but few are chosen.

D&C 26:2 And all things shall be done by common consent in the church, by much prayer and faith, for all things you shall receive by faith. Amen.
Last edited by Brighidara on January 9th, 2023, 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

It just seems like lazy discipleship to me. To think that no accountability will be had for donating to a church that misuses those funds.

The lack of transparency w/ church funds is truly astounding. We should be able to see where all tithing funds are spent. And we should, as noted above, be governed by common consent. Sure, church leaders should have some stewardship to care for those in need and meet the basic operations of the organization, but the church has set a standard of operation that is extremely excessive and opulent. The Lord does not need temples built from the finest materials gathered from around the world, especially when done upon the backs of the poor.

Brighidara
captain of 50

Post by Brighidara »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: January 9th, 2023, 8:37 am It just seems like lazy discipleship to me. To think that no accountability will be had for donating to a church that misuses those funds.

The lack of transparency w/ church funds is truly astounding. We should be able to see where all tithing funds are spent. And we should, as noted above, be governed by common consent. Sure, church leaders should have some stewardship to care for those in need and meet the basic operations of the organization, but the church has set a standard of operation that is extremely excessive and opulent. The Lord does not need temples built from the finest materials gathered from around the world, especially when done upon the backs of the poor.
Lazy discipleship sums it up.
Lukewarm saints: https://www.openbible.info/topics/lukewarm_christians
Also, “they rob the poor because of their fine sanctuaries; they rob the poor because of their fine clothing; and they persecute the meek and the poor in heart, because in their pride they are puffed up” 2 Ne 28:13 and “for behold, ye do love money, and your substance, and your fine apparel, and the adorning of your churches, more than ye love the poor and the needy, the sick and the afflicted” Mormon 8:37.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

accountable

Post by BeNotDeceived »

God has commanded the payment of tithe

so one must pay it to whichever church

is most true at the time of payment.

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Original_Intent »

Consecrate your time, talents and everything that you have been blessed with to build up the Kingdom of God and no need to worry about paying tithing or how they spend it.

disclaimer: I still pay tithing, I am working on consecration, but I'm not there yet; I agree with the above comments that tithing is just lazy discipleship - that's absolutely true and mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.

Liahona
captain of 100

Post by Liahona »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: January 9th, 2023, 5:37 am While I was “in” the church, I just paid my tithes. It’s just what you did. Some months were harder than others, and we struggled at times. This thread isn’t about the type or amount, but wether members are really ok with how the church spends the tithes. I recently had a guy on facebook say that he’s a “full tithe payer” and that it didn’t matter how the church spends the money, that his responsibility was to give regardless of how the church spent the money. So I ask the question:

Do you believe that the Lord will hold you accountable for giving money to the church if you felt that they were spending it inappropriately?
I worry less about what others do and more about whether or not I’m reconciled with God.

Let Him deal with any misuse. He will sort it out over time.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Liahona wrote: January 9th, 2023, 6:03 pm
Reluctant Watchman wrote: January 9th, 2023, 5:37 am While I was “in” the church, I just paid my tithes. It’s just what you did. Some months were harder than others, and we struggled at times. This thread isn’t about the type or amount, but wether members are really ok with how the church spends the tithes. I recently had a guy on facebook say that he’s a “full tithe payer” and that it didn’t matter how the church spends the money, that his responsibility was to give regardless of how the church spent the money. So I ask the question:

I worry less about what others do and more about whether or not I’m reconciled with God.

Do you believe the tithes are spent appropriately? I honestly don’t know how you could given there is almost zero financial transparency in the church.

God does hold us accountable for funding a church that misappropriates tithes. It’s amazing how a lack of accountability pervades the church today.

Liahona
captain of 100

Post by Liahona »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: January 9th, 2023, 6:06 pm

Do you believe the tithes are spent appropriately? I honestly don’t know how you could given there is almost zero financial transparency in the church.

God does hold us accountable for funding a church that misappropriates tithes. It’s amazing how a lack of accountability pervades the church today.
I find it concerning that there is no transparency but at the same time don’t have to give that transparency back. The bishop doesn’t need to know the particulars…only if I’m a full tithe payer or not.

I tithe according to whether or not it’s accepting to the Lord. I work that out with Him. I’m not concerned about what is done with it once it leaves my hands.

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Post by Subcomandante »

Short answer: No.

Long answer: The Lord will not hold you accountable for the decisions of leaders about how to spend the Lord's money. The payer paid in good faith, the leaders decided things in bad faith.

All the punishment goes towards the leaders that act in bad faith.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Liahona wrote: January 9th, 2023, 6:18 pm

I find it concerning that there is no transparency but at the same time don’t have to give that transparency back. The bishop doesn’t need to know the particulars…only if I’m a full tithe payer or not.

I tithe according to whether or not it’s accepting to the Lord. I work that out with Him. I’m not concerned about what is done with it once it leaves my hands.
So lack of accountability.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Subcomandante wrote: January 9th, 2023, 6:31 pm Short answer: No.

Long answer: The Lord will not hold you accountable for the decisions of leaders about how to spend the Lord's money. The payer paid in good faith, the leaders decided things in bad faith.

Even if you feel they abuse the tithes? That's the premise of the original question.

Liahona
captain of 100

Post by Liahona »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: January 9th, 2023, 6:55 pm
Liahona wrote: January 9th, 2023, 6:18 pm

So lack of accountability.
No. I’m less worried about what others do and more worried about working things out between the Lord and I.

I’d rather work on the beam than worry about the motes.

You’re always going to run into problems with imperfect people. It’s inevitable.

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Original_Intent »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: January 9th, 2023, 6:56 pm
Subcomandante wrote: January 9th, 2023, 6:31 pm Short answer: No.

Even if you feel they abuse the tithes? That's the premise of the original question.
If they have reconciled it with the Lord, who are you to doubt? Do as you will, leave others to do the same.

TheDuke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by TheDuke »

No to will the Lord hold me accountable for anything the church does. As far as tithing, I decided I wouldn't pay any more (perhaps early COVID times a couple years back, about the mall and stuff). The Lord came to me (not literally, his spirit, not him) and gently reminded me that I had made a covenant. I could void the covenant if I wanted to but then he would have the right to void the reward. I mentioned my fear of their misuse of the funds. And he told me that was not my problem and he would deal the the leaders himself. I paid for the year and since as I want to keep the Lord bound.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

I don't think some of you understand the OP question. You feel they are abusing the tithe, yet you continue to pay. Hence you feel it is ok to support a false cause.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

This is like funding a crime ring when you feel obligated to give. You are just paying your dues.

Pazooka
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Pazooka »

Did He hold the Nephites accountable for building up and supporting the secret combination of their day?

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: accountable

Post by Thinker »

BeNotDeceived wrote: January 9th, 2023, 5:29 pmGod has commanded the payment of tithe

so one must pay it to whichever church

is most true at the time of payment.
:lol:
Brigham young (& his representative statue) isn’t shy about holding his hand out towards the banks across the street from temple square…

Religion, especially Mormonism/lds, is one of the biggest Ponzi schemes & scams EVER!!
Last edited by Thinker on January 9th, 2023, 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Pazooka wrote: January 9th, 2023, 7:35 pm Did He hold the Nephites accountable for building up and supporting the secret combination of their day?
According to some on the forum, nope, no accountability. 🙂

Liahona
captain of 100

Post by Liahona »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: January 9th, 2023, 7:24 pm I don't think some of you understand the OP question. You feel they are abusing the tithe, yet you continue to pay. Hence you feel it is ok to support a false cause.
I get it. I really do.

Jesus knew what the world would do to Him yet He continued anyways.

It’s not about score keeping. You can’t always “fix” everything along the way.

Judas was part of the 12 and the Lord knew it.

Stop worrying about what others do and reconcile yourself with God. Let Him fight these battles for you.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

TheDuke wrote: January 9th, 2023, 7:17 pm No to will the Lord hold me accountable for anything the church does. As far as tithing, I decided I wouldn't pay any more (perhaps early COVID times a couple years back, about the mall and stuff). The Lord came to me (not literally, his spirit, not him) and gently reminded me that I had made a covenant. I could void the covenant if I wanted to but then he would have the right to void the reward. I mentioned my fear of their misuse of the funds. And he told me that was not my problem and he would deal the the leaders himself. I paid for the year and since as I want to keep the Lord bound.
The Lord won’t hold you accountable for what the church does, but He will hold you accountable if you are complicity in their nefarious actions. As Pazooka noted, the Nephites were accountable for supporting the Gads. The LDS church is support nefarious organizations IMO. You may disagree, but the OP question was if you DID feel the church was corrupt and misappropriating the funds.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Liahona wrote: January 9th, 2023, 7:42 pm
Reluctant Watchman wrote: January 9th, 2023, 7:24 pm I don't think some of you understand the OP question. You feel they are abusing the tithe, yet you continue to pay. Hence you feel it is ok to support a false cause.
I get it. I really do.

Jesus knew what the world would do to Him yet He continued anyways.

It’s not about score keeping. You can’t always “fix” everything along the way.

Judas was part of the 12 and the Lord knew it.

Stop worrying about what others do and reconcile yourself with God. Let Him fight these battles for you.
Christ didn’t support the Sanhedrin.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

Liahona wrote: January 9th, 2023, 6:18 pm I find it concerning that there is no transparency but at the same time don’t have to give that transparency back. The bishop doesn’t need to know the particulars…only if I’m a full tithe payer or not.

It’s not a 2-way street. The church doesn’t pay you tithes. In fact, the church gets a lot of free workers while charging (overcharging) for worthiness. It’s a scam!

Would you give money to any old charity that hides its financial records & call it giving to God? Of course not. Although they keep church finances dark & secret, we know of some financial investments etc that are the opposite of godly/Christlike.

There is such a thing as letting your money speak for itself. How you spend your money is quite indicative to your ultimate concern - the god you worship. Many make the church their false god before the real God. The church is NOT God, despite suggestions otherwise. Most members pay so much MONEY to the church for PRAISES OF MEN, they don’t really care what God thinks, otherwise they’d obey the greatest commandments, including “the least of these” (aka God) over being “a member in good standing.”

And was Christ the type to just go along with religious financial traditions? Did he just sit by and not worry how others were using the temple to make money?

And guess what’s happening now? Lds temples are being used again to make money - to enter you must pay 10% of your income (to men who are NOT honest with their fellow men… ) in exchange for worthiness & to be a member in good standing. Priestcraft anyone?

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Thinker wrote: January 9th, 2023, 7:50 pm
Liahona wrote: January 9th, 2023, 6:18 pm I find it concerning that there is no transparency but at the same time don’t have to give that transparency back. The bishop doesn’t need to know the particulars…only if I’m a full tithe payer or not.

It’s not a 2-way street. The church doesn’t pay you tithes. In fact, the church gets a lot of free workers while charging (overcharging) for worthiness. It’s a scam!

Would you give money to any old charity that hides its financial records & call it giving to God? Of course not. Although they keep church finances dark & secret, we know of some financial investments etc that are the opposite of godly/Christlike.

There is such a thing as letting your money speak for itself. How you spend your money is quite indicative to your ultimate concern - the god you worship. The church is NOT God, despite suggestions otherwise.

And was Christ the type to just go along with religious financial traditions? Did he just sit by and not worry how others were using the temple to make money?

And guess what’s happening now? Lds temples are being used again to make money - to enter you must pay 10% of your income (to men who are NOT honest with their fellow men… ) in exchange for worthiness & to be a member in good standing. Priestcraft anyone?
That is the true definition of priestcraft, setting themselves up as a light and taking honor unto themselves. The simple fact that you must obey man in order to worship the Lord is despicable.